• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo send Twitter E3 leaker a cease and desist

Zephir

Is he under a legal obligation to listen. I don't see what law they can threaten them with.

Uh...revealing company secrets, including software or hardware specs is technically a crime.

It may not seen dangerous when informations are released to the general public, but it affect greatly every company. It may cause rise or fall in the stock market and, sometimes, it may give the competition a chance to counter your product, by knowing details in advance.

Yup, leaks are bad. They may be harmless for us, but they take them seriously.

Wink

There's a thing to be said for revealing insider info from the industry that companies don't want us to know about (working conditions, malicious practices). But there's no sense in leaking announcements that are about to be made anyway and people who do are only looking to put themselves in the spotlight. Usually I'm not in favour of Nintendo's lawyering, but in this case I'm glad they did.

Reactions: Isa

Arun1910

Good.

The Elden Ring reveal would have been so much better if that shit wasn't spoiled....like everywhere.

... Would it though? Seemed rushed as hell to me. Showed a trailer, quick move on. The reveal was poor regardless, I expected it to be announced with at least a speaker.

Pallas

Unless he's under a NDA with Nintendo he's free to discuss anything he wants.

Doesn’t really matter, he would still have to defend himself and pay for legal defense. I feel like there is more to this than we actually know.

Plus there’s the DMLP stuff, someone from reddit quoted this.

If you obtain or publish a company's trade secrets, the company may have a legal claim against you for trade secret misappropriation. Generally speaking, a "trade secret" is secret information that confers a competitive business advantage on its owner by virtue of not being known to its competitors. The trade secret owner must exert reasonable efforts to maintain the secrecy of this information, or it ceases to be a trade secret. When a person obtains a trade secret improperly (such as by theft, bribery, or breach of a confidentiality agreement) or publishes it, knowing that someone else acquired it improperly, he or she has "misappropriated" the trade secret.

Seems kind of a reach E3 leaks being the equivalent of trade secrets but it’s possibility I guess.

... Would it though? Seemed rushed as hell to me. Showed a trailer, quick move on. The reveal was poor regardless, I expected it to be announced with at least a speaker.

One of the leading Dark fantasy writers with one of the leading Dark fantasy video game directors?

Yes, it would have. The weight behind that reveal was the epic collaboration.

Last edited:

Arun1910

One of the leading Dark Fantasy writers with one of the leading Dark Fantasy video game directors?

Yes, it would have.

But the reveal was shown off poorly, did you read my post? Regardless if it was kept a secret, the trailer was pretty bland,short, and they cut off straight into some other game.

If they wanted to show this off in a big way, it shouldn't have been revealed the way it was imo.

Geki-D

Banned
If they wanted to show this off in a big way, it shouldn't have been revealed the way it was imo.
What exactly were you expecting with it being at the MS conference where they compressed 60 game trailers and PR videos into 1h30? Also it was only a cgi trailer anyway so hardly any point lingering on it.

But the reveal was shown off poorly, did you read my post? Regardless if it was kept a secret, the trailer was pretty bland,short, and they cut off straight into some other game.

It was a typical reveal, i've seen better and i've seen worse. The meat is the collab.

Last edited:

Liamario

Uh...revealing company secrets, including software or hardware specs is technically a crime.

It may not seen dangerous when informations are released to the general public, but it affect greatly every company. It may cause rise or fall in the stock market and, sometimes, it may give the competition a chance to counter your product, by knowing details in advance.

This is assuming that the person is legally required to protect the secret through NDA for example.

Arun1910

What exactly were you expecting with it being at the MS conference where they compressed 60 game trailers and PR videos into 1h30? Also it was only a cgi trailer anyway so hardly any point lingering on it.

Something a bit meatier.

For the record, I don't really care for the game. Was just explaining that for something many consider big it could have been handled better.

Geki-D

Banned
Something a bit meatier.

For the record, I don't really care for the game. Was just explaining that for something many consider big it could have been handled better.
I'm pretty sure this how nearly all Souls type games have gone down; initial cgi reveal, at a later show a gameplay trailer.

Zephir

This is assuming that the person is legally required to protect the secret through NDA for example.

So, let's assume I clean toilets at Nintendo. While scrubbing, i causally hear Doug Bowser in the bathroom describing their new consoles, with specs and everything...then i decide to pay a visit to Microsoft and tell them everything about it, getting a picture of don mattrick as a reward. Then, I share those same information on the internet.

I'm not under an NDA because i don't work in the development sector of Nintendo or even in their game division, does it means I can get scott free of everything I did?

Nintendo can (and will) destroy me if he figures out my identity.

Saruhashi

Banned
Good.

The Elden Ring reveal would have been so much better if that shit wasn't spoiled....like everywhere.

Yeah the whole thing is ridiculous.

The main "amazing" thing about E3 is surprise announcements that nobody was expecting.
The entire gaming community seems to get hyped up and everyone wants to watch the presentations live.
Also the entire gaming community goes on a tear looking for leaks and hints and "spoilers" before the presentations.

Then everyone complains that the conferences are a "let down" because they already knew all the big announcements beforehand.

My guess with Nintendo at E3 2019 is that they don't have much.
Seems like every release is basically already known or has been strongly speculated on.

It's kind of sad that people with insider info feel the need to put it out there before it's ready.
Fucksakes, just let the fans have their surprises.

Yeah the whole thing is ridiculous.

The main "amazing" thing about E3 is surprise announcements that nobody was expecting.
The entire gaming community seems to get hyped up and everyone wants to watch the presentations live.
Also the entire gaming community goes on a tear looking for leaks and hints and "spoilers" before the presentations.

Then everyone complains that the conferences are a "let down" because they already knew all the big announcements beforehand.

My guess with Nintendo at E3 2019 is that they don't have much.
Seems like every release is basically already known or has been strongly speculated on.

It's kind of sad that people with insider info feel the need to put it out there before it's ready.
Fucksakes, just let the fans have their surprises.
yeah agree but if you go looking for that shit you'll find it. A little difficult but not impossible to not follow, read up on rumours prior to E3.

Saruhashi

Banned
So, let's assume I clean toilets at Nintendo. While scrubbing, i causally hear Doug Bowser in the bathroom describing their new consoles, with specs and everything...then i decide to pay a visit to Microsoft and tell them everything about it, getting a picture of don mattrick as a reward. Then, I share those same information on the internet.

I'm not under an NDA because i don't work in the development sector of Nintendo or even in their game division, does it means I can get scott free of everything I did?

It depends. If you are employed by Nintendo in ANY capacity they will have some kind of rules regarding privacy and security.
I think there are also potential legal and corruption issues with sharing information like that.

Even if you are a contractor etc you will probably be subject to some kind of privacy and security agreements.

So if you were the Microsoft or Sony employee receiving a call from said toilet cleaner I think it might actually be an issue to agree to receive the information. If you did end up with info like this I believe there is an obligation to report it.

Probably with these leaks Nintendo could make the argument that these Nintendo Direct presentations are supposed to be based on "surprises" for the audience and from those presentations they are basically making a sales pitch. So I'm guessing they could argue that by leaking info, even as a private citizen, you are making a deliberate attempt to damage their business.

I don't know the actual legal ins and outs but most companies and most industries will have guidelines and rules around stuff like this.

Saruhashi

Banned
yeah agree but if you go looking for that shit you'll find it. A little difficult but not impossible to not follow, read up on rumours prior to E3.

For sure. As I see it, you can't REALLY keep these things secret since games will enter development some time before actual release.

Even something as small as a Smash DLC character you are going to, at this point, have a small video introduction, people will have worked on the soundtracks and stage design and licensing agreements with 3rd parties and possibly even language translations. That's a LOT of stuff to try and keep entirely under the radar.

Then fans might have lucky guesses. Mario Galaxy 1&2 HD, Metroid Prime Trilogy, a new F-Zero, a new Star Fox etc etc are not THAT outlandish as predictions.

TLZ

Not that I know of, but she leaked stuff from a lot of the other conferences.

Having this as a pinned tweet wouldn't have helped her with Nintendo.

As if being a "popular leaker" is something to be proud of.

Running around stealing info to give out to the public to get all the attention to yourself. You're a nobody. You want all the attention and want to believe you're important. The information will come out sooner or later officially anyway. The companies put all the effort and energy into creating something and all you want to do is steal the thunder from them. This childish bs should really stop. I wish they were all ignored.

Three

No it's not. What's a crime is signing an NDA and then disclosing. Revealing any secrets you have having not signed an NDA is not illegal.

Starfield

Imo all the leakers should be fucking silenced. In the past years so many great things have been leaked and the magic taken away (mostly ms) that it just fucking sucks.

It's not the leakers only fault tough it's also the many dumb people (like here on gaf) who instantly have to post a new thread with the title of the game and sometimes real date in the title.

Porcile

Good way to fuck up your career and presumably the one of whoever gave them the information, assuming this person didn't just straight steal the information.

Gotta get your fifteen minutes of e-cred though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It would be one thing if gaming journalists applied this same fervent curiosity during the other non-E3 weeks of the year, but they don't, so the rush to leak stuff comes off as attention-seeking nonsense. It's not worthy of a C&D order, though.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Liamario

What if I don't have any dealing with Nintendo either directly or indirectly.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. U wanna throw your life away to tell people about a video game a few days before they would have found out anyways, go for it, but don’t cry when you get caught

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Honestly I can appreciate leaked information so I can spend my time elsewhere instead of waiting 2-3 hours in some presentation of pointless talking and simply take my 20 minutes of genuine gameplay footage in games I will take interest in.

Thus far E3 has been arbitrary dates into next year(yaaaawn) and a bunch of cinematic trailers that do fuck all to interest me in games since they aren't showing what I care about the most which is how a game plays and if it might be fun.

Top Bottom