• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9th

Carl

Sony ready to burn this thread down with an epic victory out of nowhere

wed1.gif

Not a chance.

donny2112

This year Xbox will win 2 months. Then next year it will win 3 months and so forth. After 6 years the tables will turn!

If Jan-Oct. rack up a 600K lead and then Nov+Dec push back the other way by 700K, the tables would've already turned. Nov+Dec really are just that big. The other months aren't meaningless, but Nov and Dec are so much more.

Has anyone updated the picture of Truman holding the newspaper that made the rounds when the September NPD discussions were on going? We need an updated version of that if the impossible happens...

Amir0x

Banned
So two of the highest rated games of last year (and this year) are quaint, but a poorly made AC cookie cutter game plus last years warned over version of the same game is a door buster?

Both sides had good deals, MS just went deeper on the headline price and that is what will make the difference. Plus Sony didn't even join in the party until the last week of the month.

I think December will be closer as Sony seems more engaged from the start of the month.

Well I am making the distinction between a game that is a complete next-gen exclusive and that, incidentally, Ubisoft sabotaged and are so incompetent that it actually runs better on XBO and last-gen ports. Some people may even like Unity, gross I know.

But as I said, and which you simply used much more subdued language to convey, is that Xbox One went significantly deeper into their pockets and produced shocking prices relative to their competent and historical year on year prices. So whatever December is (who knows quite yet), in November certainly XBO is going to have dominated and, in my estimation, dominated quite impressively. If only we can get the numbers to see by how much precisely.

DryvBy

I'm actually curious now. According so some websites, MS with the Kinect was only making maybe $30+ per system sold. That's back in 2013.

If you factor in the price drop + the game give aways, what's the probability MS lost a ton of money in November? Seems crazy to think how much money it would be.

RoKKeR

I'm actually curious now. According so some websites, MS with the Kinect was only making maybe $30+ per system sold. That's back in 2013.

If you factor in the price drop + the game give aways, what's the probability MS lost a ton of money in November? Seems crazy to think how much money it would be.
They had to expand the user base, desperately.

sam777

You need to consider that manufacturing costs will most likely have dropped since last year.

Amir0x

Banned
the age of sony is done
/s

Well that post and this one are not even tangentially related, and this one is going to be indisputably true in a few minutes. Only of course Sony is still going to be way ahead in US system unit number and massively ahead on a worldwide basis, so it's not like any ages are coming to a close right this second

Yes, MS lost money on X1s last month but this isn't about winning a month's NPDs, it's about saving the platform. The losses they took in November would pale in comparison to the losses they would incur in the long run if they didn't kickstart the X1 into relevance. Small install base = small income. The console business has traditionally been a razor/razorblade affair so I don't know why people suddenly act as if there is anything wrong with doing this.

GAF's natural tendency to ...snark

Yeah, I don't know why but it's getting really old for me. And not just NPDs, but pretty much anything that's discussed. But that's not just GAF it's the whole Internet now.

JaggedSac

$100 per box maybe we are looking at most $100,000,000 lost. They spent 9x more than that making too many Surface RTs, lol.

Top Bottom