• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that we have SSDs & Ray Tracing hardware in current Gen consoles what's left for Next Gen consoles?

onQ123

Obviously they will push these things further with the next round of consoles but what do you think will be the biggest changes going into Next Gen?

I'm thinking they will stack memory onto the SoC.

& Also go big on A.I /ML

I want Volume Rendering but that will disrupt the norm for developers but will work out great for VR so it's probably on the table for PS6 .

winjer

Current ray-tracing is very limited on consoles. Hopefully, by 2026-2027, GPUs will be more capable.
The current gen is also capable of Machine Learning, through DP4a. But this is also very limited.
We can also expect GDDR7, with a huge increase in memory bandwidth.
By that time, Gen5 SSDs will be the norm. So 4 times the speed of current SSDs. On top of other tech improvements that might develop.
Tech like ChatGPT will also be common, so we can make witty remarks about other players mom's sexual proficiency.

oji-san

This gen is all 60fps and SSD for me, those are the really great improvements i see and enjoy, so in that line i would want that no game will be at 30fps again and high res with that as current gen can't handle it always, so in short.. true 4K and 60fps and i need nothing more.

blacktout

& Also go big on A.I.

Yeah, using AI to transcend normal hardware limitations is going to be a big fucking deal, I think.

If you look at this gen, the big bottlenecks have been hardware manufacturing costs and bloated development cycles that are making games cost way more to produce and take way longer to finish. AI upscaling and asset generation could really help to address those issues and maybe return us to a world where consoles are more affordable and get more than two or three big games a year.

Buggy Loop

Outside of the obvious RT that will gobble any hardware you throw at it for the next 20 years easy and still scale much higher than what we see today

AI should be the answer

Game physics predicted by AI thousands of times faster than traditional methods
AI texture upscale on the fly
Automatic lipsync based on language
Life-like faces animations and models
AI driven animation

It'll be the real paradigm shift in games, as there's only so much shinies you can put in graphics, but if it doesn't behave realistically, there's a hard ceiling and we'll stagnate.

onQ123

current gen doesnt really have proper ray tracing hardware cause AMDs gonna AMD.
There is always a transitioning process

PS5 & Xbox Series X could actually do a really good job with Ray Tracing now but RT will come second to sells so when devs make games now making it work on other devices come before nice effects.

You mean the SSD's that are barely being utilized and semi implemented raytracing (shadows only).

NG titles need stronger hardware and better optimization
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Have you fast travelled in Forbidden West? It's pretty much near instantaneous

The Fartist

AI, I want to feel bad about killing NPCs. Maybe the gen after next, we'll have some real, truly emotionally engaging games.

More control from the user. I am talking things like putting another OS on it for example. Modularity, the ability to put more RAM or having a Pro version coming the same day as the normal version. People can buy 2000 $/€ phones. They can buy a 1000 $/€ console. New services, like the ability to transform a scene in a film in a interactive format with AI. Better integration of online services. Not to make money, but in the user interactivity: ability to use and make mods, sell and resell digital content...
Probably not gonna happen of course. But I miss some things that the PS3 could do. They can at least do this much.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It's like 6th gen hd consoles. They said hd, but they could barely keep up with 720p. Most games so far didn't really made a convincing use of any of the claimed features the current gen advertised. The hardware is simple not up to there yet.

A controller that doesn't have stick drift I hope. Maybe a console that isn't full of mostly cross gen games 2.5 years into its life would be cool to see as well. One can dream.
Yeah, hall effect joysticks should be on next gen consoles, for sure. Let's skip the analog sticks on gamepads/controllers already...

But it's a patented tech and I'm not sure Sony and MS will want to pay to use it. But one can only dream.

Hopefully they will.

Anyone tested their Steam Deck Hall Effect or JoyCon modules already? GuliKit they are called - just curious if it really is as good as they are claiming it is.

Last edited:

RCU005

It’s obvious: make every game available on the PS5 and waste whatever the specs are on the PS6.

Hopefully better physics and AI for enemies and NPCs.

Graphics that feel more “alive”: If you notice things in games have these high-res textures but don’t move, they are like statues. (Curtains, clothes, or actually mostly interior stuff).

Azurro

I'd like some significant change in the rendering pipeline so that games don't look like they could be possible on PS4. I'm happy with my PS5, but it has felt like a graphics card and SSD upgrade rather than a real next gen jump in visuals.

diffusionx

I think in five years, ray tracing will be like 100x better than it is now, on all platforms. We are only in the total infancy of it, including PC. Even on a 4090 it is really limited and kills performance so much they need to resort to tricks interpolation and now frame insertion just to make it acceptable.

Last edited:

Fbh

Real ray tracing.

What we have right now on consoles is like the tip of the iceberg and it usually kills performance. New consoles with more extensive Ray tracing implementation while retaining 60fps and 1440p+ resolutions would be nice.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of hardware based upscaling tech like DLSS. As long as consoles remain focused on low prices they'll never have top of the line hardware, I think the future of console graphics and performance will be about AI and upscaling tech rather than raw power

Celcius

°Temp. member
Native 4K for a start. We've got games like Yakuza Inshin running at 1440p despite the fact that PS5 says 8K on the box.
Also, better ray tracing performance.

Top Bottom