• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that we have SSDs & Ray Tracing hardware in current Gen consoles what's left for Next Gen consoles?

Crayon

Idk if they come up with something new or just have more of what we do now. More of what we have now is meh. Ray tracing has been pretty slow, really because hw baselines make it so you have to put full effort into rasterized effects anyhow, leaving rt more like sprinkles on top instead of a new way of building games.

Anyway I don't see anything in that timeframe that is going to be really different. I'm expecting more rt. Yippee. Also expecting a bunch more cross-gen so it's going to be a little harder to ditch this PS5. My two biggest issues with PS4 was load times and noise. And now I'm all taken care of on that front and haven't come up with any significant complaints since.

ChiefDada

RT GI in every game like in Metro Exodus. Fuck off with static lighting.

I agree, lighting is extremely important, but Metro Exodus neglects asset quality so much one could argue other games with rasterization have better, more complete current gen visuals.

Native 4K for a start. We've got games like Yakuza Inshin running at 1440p despite the fact that PS5 says 8K on the box.
Also, better ray tracing performance.

Any developer prioritizing native 4k in the next console generation is a certified moron.

Deerock71

infomercial jimmy GIF

ChiefDada

Advancements in memory/data management is the answer most are looking for without realizing when they say "4k", "Better ray tracing", etc.

https://www.nextplatform.com/2022/12/13/compute-is-easy-memory-is-harder-and-harder/

What good is a floating point operation embodied in a vector or matrix unit if you can’t get data into fast enough to actually use the compute engine to process it in some fashion in a clock cycle? The answer is obvious to all of us: Not much.

People have been talking about the imbalance between compute and memory bandwidth for decades, and every year the high performance computing industry has been forced to accept less and less memory bandwidth per floating point operation because increasing memory bandwidth is exceedingly difficult in a fashion that doesn’t also end up being very pricey.

aOD70SE.jpg

MarkMe2525

Dedicated physics acceleration like the physics chips of old. I imagine a screen full of high fidelity liquid/cloth simulations. Terrain meshes that can accurately simulate deformation and displacement at large scales.

I'm not sure exactly how it works or if possible, but would including FPGA chips give developers the flexibility to create bespoke hardware feature sets?

buenoblue

Ai upscaling like dlss, frame generation, more gpu and CPU power. When you look at modern cgi films the backgrounds and landscapes look pretty photo realistic now. I'll be happy when we get to that fidelity.

Hoddi

The pitiful increase in memory is somewhat hobbling this gen, in my opinion. I never even expected a new gen until 2023 at the earliest (with at least 32GB of memory) and we’re kinda seeing how premature it was in recent games.

SSDs are obviously great but the cost per gigabyte is similarly hampering how big games can be. A hypothetical console with 8TB of storage would allow games to ship with much higher resolution assets. Games grew from 8-16GB in the PS360 generation to 100-200GB in the last gen and that obviously had a huge effect on how much better those games looked. SSD space being expensive works against that in many ways.

NeoIkaruGAF

Something absolutely unnecessary that will keep the nerds busy while actual improvements in gameplay are still nowhere to be seen, performance is still subpar, and problems like stick drifting are still ignored by hardware manufacturers.

Diddy X

There's a lot to improve in terms of physics and NPC AI and other tech in games that are not graphics that would make games way better, just look how we have gone backwards with destruction and other physics simulation.

Buggy Loop

Also

Buckle up for GDC 2023

Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive mode will melt GPUs, probably will knee cap all graphic cards until 5000 series. 4090 with DLSS 3 will barely make it.

A game like cyberpunk with full path tracing... yeah
Peoples will complain, but it's an extra feature set, it's for future hardware. We need these kind of tech features to break previously thought of ceilings.

Top Bottom