• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

LosDaddie said:
At this point in the generation, I doubt exclusives drive that much in hardware sales. Chances are that if you care about Sony/MS/Nintendo exclusives, then you already own the console(s). What's left are the mainstream gamers who are going to be more than happy with CoD/BF, Batman, ASsCreed, Madden/NBA 2k.... or whatever quality 3rd party games that are coming out.

I agree, sales have shown that outside of Nintendo first party games don't push hardware system sales. They do early in the system's launch but at this point it's pretty much all third party stuff. People are just buying what their friends have.

EagleEyes

ElNino said:
And yet, I still have more 360 exclusive games to buy this fall than ones for PS3.
No kidding. Gears, Halo Anniversary and Forza 4 definitely trump anything on PS3 this fall save for Uncharted 3. Plus they have the 2 best motion games this fall with Dance Central 2 and Kinect sports 2 :)

LowerLevel

Infinite Justice said:
Or he/she doesn't care about Shadow Complex?

And maybe he doesn't care about Splosion man/Mrs, Geometry Wars1/2, Case West/Zero, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet... I'm sure there are more, but those are of the top of my head and I am on my friggin crappy Droid so I can't really look up more. The point is, like OldJaded may have been implying, XBLA is more than worth it's weight to have your 360 connected online.

pramath

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Shipments, worldwide.

This thread is sales, US.
True, but my point- that the game is successful- still stands.

Infinite Justice said:
I find it kinda funny that the article used as reference is from a site he/she writes on though there was an original link i.e Eurogamer in the article.

I'll be honest, I didn't even know that my article was cited as the source at Wikipedia. Now that I DO know, I feel kind of good and flattered all at the same time.

pramath said:
True, but my point- that the game is successful- still stands.

I'll be honest, I didn't even know that my article was cited as the source at Wikipedia. Now that I DO know, I feel kind of good and flattered all at the same time.

You have fans, be proud :p

Concept17 said:
I just realized how terrible the 360 lineup is this fall, first party-wise. Yuck.
Yup, Gears 3 looks nice but I'm not even very excited for that game, the only upcoming game I'm really excited for on the 360 right now is a PC port, the Witcher 2.

Rad-

Concept17 said:
I just realized how terrible the 360 lineup is this fall, first party-wise. Yuck.

All platforms have a boring fall lineup. I'm not that interested in any of the exclusives. Maybe Forza but that's about it. Multiplatform lineup is good though.

Not counting DL titles. If we count those then XBLA has a kickass lineup coming up. Fez, Spelunky HD, RCR.

LowerLevel said:
And maybe he doesn't care about Splosion man/Mrs, Geometry Wars1/2, Case West/Zero, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet... I'm sure there are more, but those are of the top of my head and I am on my friggin crappy Droid so I can't really look up more. The point is, like OldJaded may have been implying, XBLA is more than worth it's weight to have your 360 connected online.

And maybe he actually doesn't so the point is not everyone will see the same value you or Jaded see.

Duane Cunningham said:
Anecdotally speaking, I bought it on day 1 of the price drop, and have yet to buy any 3DS games. I was in the middle of Pokemon Black anyway, so I'm just finishing that for now, and playing a few things from the eshop. I'm thinking about grabbing Starfox later today. If not, I plan to get it at some point for sure, as well as Zelda and Pilotwings.

Same here, the only 3DS purchase Ive made is super mario land.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LowerLevel said:

Geometry Wars is on PC, Splosion Man is coming to PC, and ITSP may or may not come to PC ;)

I say this as someone with like 100 XBLA games.

Kusagari said:
If Resistance 3 barely makes the chart in September it would be Sony's biggest bomb this gen.
Obviously take this with a grain of salt but it was sold out 2 of the 3 Gspots me and my brother went to today.

Stumpokapow said:
Geometry Wars is on PC, Splosion Man is coming to PC, and ITSP may or may not come to PC ;)

I say this as someone with like 100 XBLA games.

So what you are saying is some games get ported late and some never come at all. Gotcha.

StevieP

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Obviously take this with a grain of salt but it was sold out 2 of the 3 Gspots me and my brother went to today.

g-spot.jpg

Kasumi1970 said:
I have not seen any commercial from Sony talking about the new PS3 price on TV. Maybe a lot everyday people in the US don’t know about the price. I think only the internet people knows about it.
The new Uncharted 3 commercial has the new PS3 slogan and the new price, came on during NFL last night.

personally Gears 3 is all i need, but i will be getting some kinect titles, Halo Anniversary, and I might finally buy a Forza game. My backlog is so crazy it isn't even funny.

LOCK

[Nintex] said:

The point is that this is the 3DS 'relaunch' so to speak. And OOT is currently the most popular title for the system. So if they sold 235k 3DS's and 84k Zelda's, what did the other 100k+ new 3DS owners buy? There's not much else out there and if they hunted for some Ubisoft bargains the 3DS will get the same 'shrug' response as it got when the first adaptors bought it.
This is the most retarded thing...I'm not aiming this whole response at you but to everybody that says that OoT is selling bad.

There is more software outside the top 10. Just because the 10th title sold 80k doesn't mean the 11 didn't sell 79k. Oh, and the DS with it's mighty sales numbers seldomly had a title in the top 10. The 3DS does have a growing library, even if most titles don't appeal to you or most people on this board. Zelda at this point with it's high attach rate appears to be a mini system seller.

antonz

Judging the top 10 is a stupid thing done at this point. Everything gets bunched into groups. Any games that are on a single device are heavily biased against to get into the top 10

fernoca

Subitai said:
Did someone post, the cumulative NA totals?
Hardware? Yep.

Courtesy of: A Human Becoming

Year-to-Date
  1. 360: 3,008,214
  2. NDS: 2,518,732
  3. Wii: 2,124,870
  4. PS3: 2,060,948
  5. 3DS: 1,157,000

Life-to-date
  1. NDS: 49,823,483
  2. Wii: 36,274,494
  3. 360: 28,403,373
  4. PS3: 17,522,921

TheNatural

My Member!
fernoca said:
Hardware? Yep.

Courtesy of: A Human Becoming

Year-to-Date
  1. 360: 3,008,214
  2. NDS: 2,518,732
  3. Wii: 2,124,870
  4. PS3: 2,060,948

Life-to-date
  1. NDS: 49,823,483
  2. Wii: 36,274,494
  3. 360: 28,403,373
  4. PS3: 17,522,921

Puts things in perspective. With the massive Wii lead over the 360 and PS3, well any region, but especially overall, it just goes to show how much of a drop in the bucket 360's "resurgence" is when in the first 8 months of the year its only cut into the Wii lead by a little under 900,000.

I think Nintendo really needs to drop the Wii price to $100 though for the holidays, it's been a long time coming. They may be gun shy to take any more hits with the 3DS price drop though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
OldJadedGamer said:
It's not connected to the internet? Wow, you've missed out on some really good XBLA games.
XBLA is one of the only reasons my 360 gets powered on. That and the occasional fighting game. Although I might pick up Gears 3 if they can keep the dedis running.

b33f

Adam Blade said:
I may not visit nor post on the Gaming side as much as you do, but there are certain things I think everyone knows to be true.

With the PS3, you have innovation and progress as exemplified with Move. As you can see in this video, Move allows you to enjoy the company of like-minded people who are understandably excited by the combination of motion gameplay and HD graphics that only the PS3 can offer.

On the other hand with the Xbox 360, you have people like this, who are clearly not representative of the general populace. In fact, this entire Xbox 360 ad campaign shows how much MS is out of touch with the average consumer. While I'm sure there are people who would be taken in by this, pandering to the otaku subset in Japan has marginalized the Xbox 360 and paved the way for the PS3's success.

The PS3 has been outselling the 360 worldwide in every country but the US. With current projections, the PS3 is set to overtake the 360 worldwide by Spring 2011, at which point in time, MS will have to settle once again for lonely third place in the generation. Considering that they started off in first place, this is really a pitiful (and counting all of their ineffective attempts at buying exclusives and money sunk into marketing) expensive way to finish a generation.

LOL

LOL. Adam Blade is girl. He hates the ps3 but he owns one and plays it everyday

donny2112

[Nintex] said:
The point is that this is the 3DS 'relaunch' so to speak. And OOT is currently the most popular title for the system. So if they sold 235k 3DS's and 84k Zelda's, what did the other 100k+ new 3DS owners buy?

It's sold to more than 1/3 of the 3DS owners in the U.S. I love OoT, and I won't touch it at $40, and really want it to get to $20. The 3DS still has almost no games worth buying the system for, and if you are good with OoT on N64 or GCN or Wii, then 3DS has no games worth buying the system for to the general user. Getting the price down was a necessary first step, but it's only a first step. It still needs games, and those will come in a few months.

NavNucST3

jcm said:
I don't think it was supposed to move the barometer a ton. Their forecast this FY is flat. It seems to have goosed sales a bit in the US and Japan, anyway. They clearly have no stomach for the losses that would come from $200. So the question is, does the marginal increase in users at $250 outweigh the $50 lost revenue?

We don't have the data to reach a particularly informed conclusion, but $50 is probably somewhere around 4 games/accessories. The longer someone owns a console, the more they spend on games/accessories. In other words, there's value to Sony in selling you a machine today, rather than a machine for the same price next year.

I don't concur with any of this analysis. When you have missed your forecast and then giving higher guidance (since they missed) you have to be hoping for YoY growth they are under and flat in Japan, the EU looks great because we only get placements which as this thread shows (and countless others) doesn't amount to much but if I recall correctly the EU games industry is also down. Being flat in your price cut month doesn't bode well. Keep in mind that while recognizing that they did have a very decent/good increase in sell-through I'm referring to them BEATING last years numbers since that is what they forecast and being flat/down against months when you missed last FY is not an improvement.

I know it may seem intuitive to suggest that the longer someone owns a console the more they spend but this does not scale linearly. Someone having a Wii since launch in no way means they have spent more than someone who bought it last year. The number of people who swear their Wii or PS3 or 360 are collecting dust should at least anecdotally give pause to make your suggestion. I would agree with you that as it stands now we do not have enough data for either of to prove the length of ownership v dollars spent (I'm guessing curve).

French

Banned
Concept17 said:

Pretty terrible 360 line-up this year, indeed.

But at least with MS you can always predict what's coming next ! This year you had Forza and Gears, so next year you'll have Halo and Fable.

Mrbob

With Kinect bolstering 360 hardware sales, why would MS cut the price? Unless they want to take a 50 dollar hit per system sold this holiday, which would lead to a lot of lost revenue.

Might as well hold out for Spring 2012 when sales normally slow down.

Curufinwe

I think the 3:2 ration in the US is pretty set at this point. MS would probably not make back that $50 and the PS3 is not threatening them so they have no reason to cut prices this year.

Anyone else think the late Madden launch helped NCAA and hurt Deus Ex? Football fans had to wait an extra 3 weeks to get their hands on a new game, which probably propped up NCAA for a little bit. And the 2 million + bodies that normally would have been browsing Gamestop during Deus Ex's release window stayed home until the following week.

[Nintex] said:
The point is that this is the 3DS 'relaunch' so to speak. And OOT is currently the most popular title for the system. So if they sold 235k 3DS's and 84k Zelda's, what did the other 100k+ new 3DS owners buy?
I dunno, maybe one of the other ~40 3DS games at retail, 350+ games on the eShop, 800+ DS games at retail or even one of the several preinstalled 3DS games?

A person who buys a new 3DS actually has access to more available new games than a person who buys a new PS3 or 360.

Mrbob said:
With Kinect bolstering 360 hardware sales, why would MS cut the price? Unless they want to take a 50 dollar hit per system sold this holiday, which would lead to a lot of lost revenue.

Might as well hold out for Spring 2012 when sales normally slow down.
They could even wait until summer or fall 2012. A $249 PS3 isn't worth dropping against, it'd be better saved for a potential $249-299 Wii U, $199 PS3 or even $99 Wii.

FrankT

A spring price cut is pretty much pointless. If they hold out until next year all I can think of is them going for $129 next holiday. 4 years with no price cuts while the competition has brought multiple price cuts is pretty wild. I'm not even sure how they maintained there best year yet in the first half because Kinect really hasn't had any must have SW. At times I think it's more still do with the slim than anything. As for the holiday SW I think it can more than handle it's own with Gears, Forza, Halo CE and a couple of decent Kinect titles verusus say Resistance, Ico collection and Uncharted. With the $100 price drop the PS3 just managed to squeeze out a win in the holiday quarter that year so with the $50 I'm not sure it's going to put that much pressure on MS. Pretty sure 360 has outsold PS3 evey month since that holiday quarter ended. I kind of agree with Pachter it all depends on if they start being outsold on month over month basis for awhile. They will be down YoY every month for the rest of the year though without a cut or crazy level bundles even then not so sure. Really the fall hasn't been the problem SW wise it's the entire 11 months since the last core title (yet they have maintained #1 all year). That is pathetic and I wouldn't be surprised by the same next year. Next-gen for MS is going to be so questionable from a SW level without serious changes.

I also cannot fathom how they expect to be number 1 WW without serious price cuts in the face of competitor price cuts cause hate to break it to Mattrick; that ain't happening.

TheNatural said:
Puts things in perspective. With the massive Wii lead over the 360 and PS3, well any region, but especially overall, it just goes to show how much of a drop in the bucket 360's "resurgence" is when in the first 8 months of the year its only cut into the Wii lead by a little under 900,000.

I think Nintendo really needs to drop the Wii price to $100 though for the holidays, it's been a long time coming. They may be gun shy to take any more hits with the 3DS price drop though.

Yeah, and I reckon they might actually do it. They're releasing a cut price version in Europe, why bother having factories producing 2 different versions of the same machine? It increases overall production costs and they would be able to drop the price worldwide (giving Skyward Sword a boost too)

Mr_Brit

Banned
Jtyettis said:
I also cannot fathom how they expect to be number 1 WW without serious price cuts in the face of competitor price cuts cause hate to break it to Mattrick; that ain't happening.
I doubt MS care about being number 1 worldwide since it's essentially impossible due to their non presence in Japan. I think they'd rather be number 1 in the Western markets which are the markers that publishers actually care about e.g. NA and Western Europe since at the end of the day it's irrelevant to the big publishers how many consoles Sony sell in the other markets since their software sells 95% of its units in NA and Western Europe.

Let's say Sony sold 20 million units a year in Japan, would that really make any difference to the likes of EA, Activision or Ubisoft?

Top Bottom