• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

I know this is sale thread but not every game needs to be a system seller. That mentality leads to the abysmal software situation the Wii ran into.
I probably should've quoted TheNatural's post as well but I was lazy. He was saying those games weren't mainstream enough and I interpreted it as (and agree with) them not having system selling ability (since we have been talking about 3DS hardware vs DS hardware and how more holiday-centric sales have gotten for Nintendo recently)

I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to the Wii situation though. I don't think anybody accuses the Wii of having too many or too few "system sellers". Third parties don't give a damn about moving hardware so any third party support or lack thereof has no relevance to the system selling status of Wii software.

Hardware:
Xbox 360: 193k (-37.3%)
3DS: Above 170K (last month minimum * 1.36 due to 36% increase from Nintendo PR), below 235K (last year). It is likely notably closer to 170K given Nintendo gave a specific percentage.
PS3: Above last month, below 193K (360 sold more)

After this console generation is over, NPD needs to publish a book of brain teasers with all of these non-Xbox hardware numbers...

NPD is now an entertaining, cryptic puzzle with special guest posters giving clues to help.

test_account

XP-39C²
Interesting but since this is the first title to have 1:1 online play between the two systems, you can't make a good prediction on sales if we don't know the quality.
You mean that people will buy a Vita for this game? If so, that remains to be seen yeah. But even if the game has good quality or not, i think that the Vita version sales will be affected regardless because you get the Vita version for free with every PS3 copy of the game.

Thought I'd see what this looked like; (approx) August NPD's handheld combined:

2002 = 260K (GBA)
2003 = 375K (GBA)
2004 = 315K (GBA)
2005 = 450K (GBA+NDS+PSP)
2006 = 580K (GBA+NDS+PSP)
2007 = 605K (GBA+NDS+PSP)
2008 = 770K (NDS+PSP)
2009 = 695K (NDS+PSP)
2010 = 420K (NDS+PSP)
2011 = 470K (3DS+NDS+PSP)
2012 = 320K (3DS+NDS+PSP+PSV)

-----

EDIT: Editing in home consoles, for comparative purposes.

2002 = 710K (PS2+XBX+GCN)
2003 = 540K (PS2+XBX+GCN)
2004 = 540K (PS2+XBX+GCN)
2005 = 440K (PS2+XBX+GCN)
2006 = 515K (PS2+XBX+GCN+360)
2007 = 1015K (PS2+360+PS3+WII)
2008 = 975K (PS2+360+PS3+WII)
2009 = 810K (PS2+360+PS3+WII)
2010 = 825K (360+PS3+WII)
2011 = 715K (360+PS3+WII)
2012 = 405K (360+PS3+WII)

AniHawk

2002 = 160K (GBA)
2003 = 370K (GBA)
2004 = 315K (GBA)
2008 = 770K (NDS+PSP)
2009 = 695K (NDS+PSP)
2010 = 420K (NDS+PSP)

so clearly the vita is doing so bad, it's dragging dedicated handhelds as a whole down with it.

Kusagari

The Vita is such a blight on the industry that it's actively causing people to avoid not just other handhelds, not just other consoles but games themselves.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Poor Vita. The build up to it on GAF was insane, strange to see it performing so badly.

GAF likes to think its the center of the gaming world.... far from it. The gamers here represent a small fraction of the worldwide base, and usually... people are very off about what the rest want.

jrDev

Anyone have a link to the July NPD? Search can only find the predictions threads.

ApyG5.jpg
Where/when did this pic happen? :-O

The Last Story sold 40k, which is I heard is the third best retail release in Xseed's history, or something like that. All things considered, I'd chalk it up as a success.

Surely it wasn't even tracked for that long, it only started showing up in Futureshop and Best Buy this week in Canada. These must all be GS sales (they might've had a timed-exclusive, given the CD).

I remember Muramasa did 35k in it's first month.

I have not read the whole thread so this may have been discussed already but guild wars didnt make the list? I find that hard to believe as its sold out everywhere around me.

jrDev

That's just a myth vita not having compelling content. It needs a price drop and advertisement.
The target audience doesn't think it has compelling....anything...
Amazon conference a couple of days ago. Basically they saw the Nexus 7 and is attempting to trump it on the price front. Expect similar shenanigans in the tablet market going forward.
I saw. Might have to grab another kindle fire :-D

fritolay

2002 = 260K (GBA)
2003 = 375K (GBA)
2004 = 315K (GBA)
2008 = 770K (NDS+PSP)
2009 = 695K (NDS+PSP)
2010 = 420K (NDS+PSP)

Mobile phones and tablets is the difference.

Also I hope the console hardware sales help push next gen sooner than later.

Duxxy3

The target audience doesn't think it has compelling....anything...

I saw. Might have to grab another kindle fire :-D

What's scary is for $159 amazon was still able to make it faster and have better battery life than the original fire (which was already an excellent value for its time).

donny2112

Capcom had to move development over to the PS3 to recoup on development cost.

No, they didn't. They moved it to the PS2 to appease investors. It hadn't even released for the GameCube, at that point. It wasn't poor sales that ported it to PS2, but rather investor pressure.

donny2112

I wonder why Nintendo wouldn't mention that; I mean, it's not like it's a different game beyond the physical goodies it comes with.

Nintendo used to be very strict in reporting the "good 'ol" NPD way of separating every SKU. It was a really nice insight into the way things used to be once NPD started combing SKUs on a platform with Halo 3's launch. Then over the last year, Nintendo went way over to the dark side by, not only including separate software SKUs in a total, but also including hardware bundles to prop up their poor numbers. It was very disappointing. If this KH3D single SKU total from Nintendo is going back to the "old ways," it'll be great for Sales-Age. :)

Worf_OldWays.jpg

So does anyone have a link to last month's NPD (July) thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486239

Have you decided on numbers to use for the prediction thread - or are we still waiting on something more concrete than <40K PSV, <70K Wii, 140K<PS3<150K?

I'd say Nexus 7 is more of a threat than the new kindles for gaming. After all, the raw power along with Jellybean gives Nexus 7 the edge for playing games (never mind the build quality and the bezel that's much bigger on the Kindle and thus making it harder to play)
The new Kindle Fires are more powerful than the Nexus 7, the build quality for the original Kindle Fire was better than the Nexus 7 so we can assume the new ones are the same, and the Kindle Fires actually back up your savegames which is more than you can say for stock Android.

Dantis

The game is crazy popular in Japan. I'm sure it does fine over there.

"Crazy popular" is an exaggeration. Sales after the first week completely dropped off. I don't think it's even broken the 200k mark at thiis point?

And in the US, the 7th highest seller sold 105k. Arena didn't place in the top ten, which means it sold somewhat less than 105k.

Ricker

I take the NPD sales numbers for games with a grain of salt nowadays anyway...remember stuff like Dogma not even reaching 100k according to them and then we hear Dogma 2 is coming and they shipped 700k...

I think the same will happen with Darksiders 2,next thing we will hear is that it sold over 1 million and 3 is coming...

Frillen

I take the NPD sales numbers for games with a grain of salt nowadays anyway...remember stuff like Dogma not even reaching 100k according to them and then we hear Dogma 2 is coming and they shipped 700k...

I think the same will happen with Darksiders 2,next thing we will hear is that it sold over 1 million and 3 is coming...
The majority of Dogma's sales came from Japan.

I'M SHOCKED!
LNB7Ld.gif

Obviously NPD are wrong; must be the 'only' explanation...

DEADEVIL

Pachter's Wii HD was a Wii that output in HD. That has never been released. Wii U is not that system. Pachter's "famous prediction" was "famously lambasted," and for good reason.

Site's numbers are banned for a reason.

We ALL know what his prediction, what i'm saying is even if they came with something even at the level of what Pachter had famously predicted they woould have made a killing. Which, they still may sell through the roof at the end of the day.

Again, releasing an upgraded Wii prior to Kinect and Move would have been checkmate. How it pans out this holiday is going to be fun to watch.

As for VG, who cares, my point is no one had actual numbers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Bwahaha
sorry, I couldn't resist

DEADEVIL

No, he is saying that the US market is a lot larger - so despite selling around the same numbers, it was not equally successful in each territory.

No it's EXACTLY what was said or I wouldnt have mentioned it. At the end of the day the game does 100K+ in both regions and this is what was said

''Why did sleeping dogs sold so badly in US ? It was huge hit in UK and sold nicely in rest of EU too.Shouldn't American market be much more welcoming to GTA like games.'

If that's not an exaggeration I dont know what is. A Huge hit is when Fifa does 400K in the first week or Halo Reach does 300K in the UK in 24 hours.

Just saying

Interesting random fact, this December (maybe even Nov at a push) Wii + PS3 + X360 will hit 100m units sold in the US.

2002 = 710K (PS2+XBX+GCN)
2003 = 540K (PS2+XBX+GCN)
2004 = 540K (PS2+XBX+GCN)
2005 = 440K (PS2+XBX+GCN)
2006 = 515K (PS2+XBX+GCN+360)
2007 = 1015K (PS2+360+PS3+WII)
2008 = 975K (PS2+360+PS3+WII)
2009 = 810K (PS2+360+PS3+WII)
2010 = 825K (360+PS3+WII)
2011 = 715K (360+PS3+WII)
2012 = 405K (360+PS3+WII)

I think these stats are important when talking about the sales of home consoles. Overall sales this gen have exploded compared to any previous gen. At some point sales were going to slow down.

I think the home console market is going to do pretty well next gen (still not sure about wii U though). It definitely won't be as dire as the handheld market imo.

pixelbox

You know, come to think of it you know the industry is in bad shape when we salivate for HD collections. We as a whole are really tired of rehashed gameplay this generation offered and don't want to dedicate the money for it. Sales around the world shows this and proves last gen. was just a better one. As for the vita, people I know wants it, but it's too damn expensive to just go out and buy for just games. Coupled with the fact this hasn't been the best generation in terms of experiences. The 3DS suffers from the just being a dedicated device in a world where convergence is a common theme. I'm not saying it has to be a phone, but it sure as hell needs to appeal to more than just gamers. Going back to the Vita, which does this but Sony refuses to advertise it's other features. This may change because i received a servey from Sony asking about devices I had, constantly bringing up Ipad as an option.

You know, come to think of it you know the industry is in bad shape when we salivate for HD collections. We as a whole are really tired of rehashed gameplay this generation offered and don't want to dedicate the money for it. Sales around the world shows this and proves last gen. was just a better one.

PS2, GC and xbox sold what, just under 200 million in total? Wii, 360 and PS3 are going to absolutely lap that and that's with the increased competition from the handheld market and other forms of gaming. So i'm not sure how sales world wide show what you're trying to say.

Top Bottom