• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2011 Sales Results [Up5: Star Wars: The Old Republic Sales]

VerTiGo

Banned
By my estimation, this is Activision's personnel budget:

Game development: $5

Marketing: $500 million US dollars

DLC exploitation team: $1 billion US dollars

That said, Skylanders IS a fun game. It's like Diablo for kids. But that DLC, which is $8 per character, is insidious. Since it's a physical item (which comes with a character trading card, a sticker, and a code for to make your character "come alive" on a Skylanders web game), it feels like you're getting more for your money.

I find this far more acceptable than Guitar Hero.

Nintendo could do that with pokemon toys or (better yet!) cards.

Aselith

I went to Target this week, because my kid had some allowance to burn and he wanted some Skylanders. This is what greeted us:

IMG_0153.jpg

Yeah. Heartbreak. I took a picture of it, because a friend of mine whose kid is also obsessed with the damn things, was also looking for them.

You might know this...if I want to try Skylanders, can I get one of those Portals of Power and then buy a single Skylander and I'm good to go? That seems to be the cheapest route if it would work. Or does the starter kit come with some other shit I need?

fernoca

I know that is cool to hate Bobby Kotick, but part of the reason Skylanders was a success was because of him too.

Toys for Bob made the game (Wii only), they had no knowledge in making toys/etc. so they did what they could to sell the concept. Bobby liked the idea, but the only way he knew it would work was to make everything high quality (game, toys, portal, etc.); so more budget was given to the team to make the game and to make sure the quality of the toys was great too (they got a separate company to make them; which is also part of the reason of stores been out of stock; demand was higher than supply and expectations).

Aselith said:
You might know this...if I want to try Skylanders, can I get one of those Portals of Power and then by a single Skylander and I'm good to go? That seems to be the cheapest route if it would work.
Sadly, nope. The portals are only sold/bundle with the game; which also comes with 3 figurines.
Aselith said:
Or does the starter kit come with some other shit I need?
Yeah, the starters come with game, poster (to track figure/collection) stickers , per figure, 3 figures, portal of power and (depending the version you buy) USB cable to connect it to the PC-minigame.

Aselith

Sadly, nope. The portals are only sold/bundle with the game; which also comes with 3 figurines.

You can get them solo on ebay. I just need to know if there's other stuff in that box that I need other than the dudes. There's a 3DS portal for 14.99 right now.

fernoca

You can get them solo on ebay. I just need to know if there's other stuff in that box that I need other than the dudes. There's a 3DS portal for 14.99 right now.
Yeah, but you also need the game an the game's not sold by itself (unless you buy everything by separate on eBay)
The 3DS portal is compatible with the Wii version (through the USB cable), but not sure if with the other versions.

The PC-minigames are quite simple and the experience you learn from it is separate than the experience you can learn in the game.

On the eBay route, you need :
-Portal
-Game
-USB cable (3DS portal uses regular USB/mini cable, but transfer content to the 3DS game via IR-port), Wii/PS3 versions are wireless USB (dongle), 360 and PC are wired/USB.
-At least one figure

Aselith

Yeah, but you also need the game an the game's not sold by itself (unless you buy everything by separate on eBay)
The 3DS portal is compatible with the Wii version (through the USB cable), but not sure if with the other versions.

The PC-minigames are quite simple and the experience you learn from it is separate than the experience you can learn in the game.

On the eBay route, you need :
-Portal
-Game
-USB cable (3DS portal uses regular USB/mini cable, but transfer content to the 3DS game via IR-port), Wii/PS3 versions are wireless USB (dongle), 360 and PC are wired/USB.
-At least one figure

All right thanks. Wasn't thinking about the game. Bit of a derp moment there.

Last I checked the average selling price of the 360 was higher than the PS3, so price isn't a factor here.

Wouldn't the majority of those 360 models sold still be cheaper than a PS3 though? The way I see it people are choosing either a 4GB model at $199.99 or a $299.99 4GB Kinect model over a $249.99 PS3, with the 4GB base model taking the lion's share of sales.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Wouldn't the majority of those 360 models sold still be cheaper than a PS3 though? The way I see it people are choosing either a 4GB model at $199.99 or a $299.99 4GB Kinect model over a $249.99 PS3.

If the average sell price is higher than PS3 and the bare min for PS3 is at is 249. It would mean more than half would have to be the 299 model or else it would be lower.

Wouldn't the majority of those 360 models sold still be cheaper than a PS3 though? The way I see it people are choosing either a 4GB model at $199.99 or a $299.99 4GB Kinect model over a $249.99 PS3, with the 4GB base model taking the lion's share of sales.

Those aren't the only two models
September ASP
The streams have crossed. The Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 at a higher price during September ($306 vs $271). Crazy, eh?

So I guess my earlier post about the Chinese worker strike thing being related was correct. They are shutting down a 360 production line which tells me that sales were unexpectedly low and the supply channel is overstuffed.
Link

Combined with the job postings looking for hardware engineers from the rumor thread, I'm starting to think all of the "no xbox anytime soon" stuff we have heard recently is just a smokescreen.

I´m one of those guys that hope/think that the next xbox will launch this year and my biggest reason why i think it can happen is how crowded the first quarter is this year. It`s the most crowded i have ever seen and most importanly some games got in surprisingly fast and unexpected. For example Tecmo annouced Nov/Dec. Ninja Gaiden 3 is comming March 12 (not many saw it coming this fast), EA announced last fall all of a sudden Syndicate will be released Feb. (at that point we had seen nothing from that game), Max Payne 3 the same... the point is: why the rush?

We will see. :D

If the average sell price is higher than PS3 and the bare min for PS3 is at is 249. It would mean more than half would have to be the 299 model or else it would be lower.

Right, so to answer my question, you are saying the majority of models sold are not the cheaper model?

Those aren't the only two models
September ASP

Yes, I realise that and I know about the ASP and read the Gamasutra article. I was just looking at what I thought were the most popular models. As the article said for example a 70/30 split will give a an ASP, so I was wondering what the split would be across the range of different priced 360s.

Yes, I realise that and I know about the ASP and read the Gamasutra article. I was just looking at what I thought were the most popular models. As the article said for example a 70/30 split will give a an ASP, so I was wondering what the split would be across the range of different priced 360s.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but if the average selling price is over $300 then there aren't more $200 models sold than anything else. In fact, it's likely that would be the least popular model. (And I'm pretty sure it is.)

Ha ha, I had assumed that you had seen my previous post in the thread. My bad. I was only talking about NPD (U.S.) numbers.

Here's the original post: Then, go back and read my last post again, and you'll have a good idea of the point I'm making. Much of which has nothing at all to do with whether or not this is good or bad for MS/Sony/Nintendo or total numbers across the entire industry.

Completely ignoring GC/Wii sales just isn't right, though. Yeah, third parties eventually dropped the Gamecube (it happened in 2003-2004), but those first few years provided a fair number of solid third party releases, you know. Ignoring that to try to make your point stronger isn't right. As for the Wii, of course most third parties did never show up at all, but some did, and a few, most notably Ubisoft, have had great success... it is true that many games are PS3/360(/PC) only, but that isn't the whole core market, there is at least some on Nintendo as well. And of course Nintendo's the one that saw the massive growth.

As for handhelds though, it will be interesting to see whether the incredible growth we saw with the DS and PSP can be maintained, given the pressure from cellphones and tablets... I hope it can, but it's clearly far too early to judge that either way.

I mean, you're right that PC/PS3/360-only developers have a problem now because budgets have gotten so huge that one failure can bring down a company. That's quite true and absolutely a huge problem with the industry this last generation. But even so, ignoring Nintendo consoles from the past two generations (I assume you wouldn't ignore the N64 too, given that it did get good Western support?) entirely like that is inaccurate and wrong. Even if they matter less to many Western developers, they matter at least a little to many of them, and have some impact. You make things look worse than they are, and growth less than it is, by only including certain platforms.

(On that note, SNES + Genesis was something like 48-52 million in North America. Turbografx isn't really known, but not more than a million or two at the absolute most.) PS1 + N64 is larger than that though, like 60-70 million I think. (Plus 2.5 million Saturns) Every generation grows overall versus the previous. This gen has been somewhat unique in that its lead system hasn't outsold the lead system of the previous generation -- that has usually happened in the past -- but it hasn't always; the SNES didn't outsell the NES, most notably, but overall the generation did.)

Also, the PS2 had a pretty different developer base from the PS3 and 360... I don't think "PS2 and Xbox versus PS3 and 360" is entirely accurate from a developer basis either. Yeah, most multiplatform console games were indeed PS2/Xbox, and sometimes PS2/Xbox/GC, but those were often from traditionally console developers, a lot of the PC developers were Xbox only, and the big story of the early '00s was North American PC developers all going console. Some did support multiple platforms though I will admit, but still, the PS2 was different from the others. That's particularly true for Japanese support, sure, but somewhat for Western as well. And the lower budgets meant that you didn't need to sell as much either.

I do not think this can be assumed, and might argue that software sales are down. Consider how the DS rarely had games in the top 10, yet routinely bested the Xbox 360 in software sales during its heyday because it had large numbers of titles selling moderate amounts, including Nintendo's "evergreen" titles.

The PS2 also had this phenomenon (that is, lots of smaller titles selling moderate amounts) similar to the DS and Wii. However, I think both the 360 and PS3 are much more top heavy. It is absolutely plausible for top title sales to go up significantly but total sales to go down as everything but those top titles dry up, and legs on legacy titles continue to grow shorter.
While games at the top are selling more than ever, it seems, in part because of the growth of the industry (it HAS gotten larger overall every single generation), I'd say again that the bigger problem here is the massive budgets those games have, not the sales; last gen games could make money off of a smaller number of sales than is possible for expensive HD-console games.

Here's the problem: if you can't afford to make those "blockbuster" games, then your revenue is going to be lower, and you're at risk of either being gobbled up or falling behind the product cost curve. All the big publishers now live off these titles: EA has pushed these "AAA" titles hard with Dead Space, Battlefield 3, SW:TOR, Mass Effect, and so forth; Activision is basically a CoD/Blizzard game machine; Take 2 rises and falls with GTA/Rockstar Games.
Yeah, the growth of AAA game sales does seem to perhaps have come at the cost of A and AA game sales, yes -- the top games are selling more than ever, but the second tier aren't, and are either selling similarly but costing more to make, or selling less. That's just not sustainable. The collapse of the second-tier market was one of Konami's excuses for shutting down Hudson, wasn't it? Now maybe they'd have done that either way (I mean, that certainly doesn't explain killing all of their in progress 3DS games, among others), but still they at least partially had a point.

I would argue that these companies in particular have brought us to this point intentionally. This is a war of attrition. These publishers are deliberately raising the stakes so that the smaller companies ("small" being relative here, as even companies like Midway and THQ qualify) cannot possibly compete.
You think? I don't think a conspiracy theory like that makes sense... no, the industry has gotten itself here just by the momentum of improving technology and the increased costs that each new level of games requires to make, mostly. That, of course, is part of why so many Japanese devs went handheld last gen, not just because the market went there in Japan but because of lower costs.

I mean, it is true that those lower-tier publishers have struggled, but I doubt it was some intentional setup by the big guys.

Look at THQ as a great example of this. If they can't make those AAA games, then they effectively can't make games on the PS3/360 at all, because those platforms are very top / blockbuster heavy. And THQ is a "traditional" gaming company that is accustomed to console-style development. They did not fare well on the Wii, and likely would not fare well on iOS or Facebook, either, because they just aren't built for that type of development. In other words, they were left without an obvious choice of platform, and it hurt them.
Could it have helped THQ that they abandoned what used to be one of their primary markets, making (mediocre) licensed games for kids?

And as for Midway, they just never entirely found their way again after shutting down their arcade division, sadly. I liked Midway, but... '00s Midway, while it had some high points, couldn't match '90s Midway, not by a longshot. And Midway had been losing money for years before it went under; that didn't start with the 360 generation, but well before that. It had only stayed in business because it had a wealthy owner, but once he sold, they went down.

EA, Activision, Take 2, and Ubisoft have deliberately raised the stakes because they recognized what this would do to smaller companies from tiny upstart publishers to small but well known publishers like Majesco all the way up to very-big-but-not-quite-big-enough companies like THQ; they would either have to make 50 Million dollar games or they would lose. And most of them have indeed lost -- unable to finance games on the PS3/360 but also not really accustomed to the sorts of audiences the Wii, iOS, or Facebook attract. THQ is almost certainly going out of business, Eidos is subsumed, Midway is gone, and the number of publishers making console games continues to dwindle.

The rising development costs of games has severe downsides, obviously. But for EA/Take 2/Ubisoft/Activision, it also has the upside of eliminating virtually all serious competition, and this is one of the reasons why all four of those companies have stuck so loyally to the PS3/360 ecosystem even once it became very apparent they wouldn't be the dominant force in gaming they were hoping for.

I really think that that's just a side effect of the direction the industry as a whole has gone, technologically and in terms of which games are selling the most.

Opiate pretty much already covered me on this, but my point wasn't to try to separate core/casual or whatever. I used the term 'core' (a term which I hate) because that seems to be GAF's word of choice for distinguishing Nintendo from the HD Twins.

You are absolutely correct that PS2 had a segment which was a casual audience, and now 360 has built a segment there as well with all the Kinects sold the past couple holidays. The demographics are irrelevant to the point. The point was to compare the userbases which the publishers are targeting.

The publishers which GAF cares about (generalization) are EA, UbiSoft, Activision, THQ, Take 2, RockStar Games, Namco, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, Sega, etc. And for the past two generations, these publishers have targeted PS2/XBox and PS3/360. For whatever reasons you want to go with, they ignored Gamecube and Wii. Their only efforts on Cube/Wii were lazy ports, spin-offs, party games, mini-games, dance/exercise, or lower-tier devs working on a new IP with a small budget. (The only real exceptions were Resident Evil 4 on Cube, and Epic Mickey on Wii - and Monster Hunter Tri, but that was pretty irrelevant for NPD discussion). All of their top studios, top mainline brands, top dev budgets, top marketing budgets - it all went to PS2/XBox and PS3/360.
That's just note true, the GC had more major third party titles than that, and so does the Wii. Sure, a majority of major third party titles on both platforms, and PS3/360 ones in particular, weren't released on Wii, but you exaggerate. For the GC, as I said earlier yes, third party support fell in 2004, but that still left several years with better third party support, and some multiplatform games even after that. The Wii didn't reach that level, but there were a few here and there.

Oh, and of those four publishers you keep mentioning, Ubisoft and EA have supported both the GC and Wii pretty well. Sega too. Capcom... on and off. (And on the note of Capcom, what, are you forgetting REmake and RE0 already, to name a few?)

That's why I illustrated that comparison, because in that context, for those publishers on home consoles, it has taken longer to get to the same userbase than it did last gen, but costs have risen significantly. Which again makes it pretty easy to see why so many studios have been closing down and why so many publishers have been bleeding money this gen. (The Japanese pubs were sheltered somewhat from the big losses because they were smart enough to branch off into major handheld development as well - something which the western pubs have just recently started dipping their toes into with mobile, but they are still a long, long way from actually committing some of their top dev teams and budgets to the mobile space).
I'd think that a bigger reason behind the Japanese switch to handhelds was because PS3/360 development was so expensive that they couldn't justify those kinds of budgets, given the relatively small size of the Japanese home market, so they looked for an alternate outlet, and that became an increased focus on handheld gaming. Handhelds had always been more popular in Japan than the west, but that really was the tipping point for what happened this last generation. In the West the market is larger, so even if a lot of devs have gone down in the attempt, it's just feasible enough for developers to focus only on the higher-end platforms that they continue to resist financial reality and keep trying for those big-budget titles... of course, we all know the results for most of them, but just enough can get rewards from it, and the seemingly more "better graphics are important"-focused Western gamer culture (comes from the PC gaming industry, likely?), keep them trying.

Edit - And having the generation drag on longer can be a very good thing for MS/Sony/Nintendo. Generally speaking, late in the gen, the hardware is sold for a profit, the R&D costs have all been recouped, and 1st-party software and 3rd-party licensing is pretty much free money. But for the publishers, a gen that drags on isn't really as good as it may appear. The longer the gen drags on, the more churn there is in the userbase. People that got in early in the gen, and have gotten bored with playing the same version of the same games for the 3rd/4th/5th time, and they've just chucked the console on a shelf somewhere and moved on to other games - PC, 3DS, iOS, Facebook, whatever. The longer the gen drags on, the more churn you get every year, so the actual active userbase isn't anywhere near what the late gen numbers suggest, and the newer customers that come in every year are typically budget consumers. And those budget consumers now have a whole back-catalog of excellent games available at $15 or $20, and those are the games they end up buying. Not the shiny new $60 games the publishers are trying to sell.
Certainly true, and particularly in a recession extending the generation makes a lot of sense.

Because it took longer for PS3/360 to get to the same point as PS2/XBox, the average userbase growth per year has been smaller this gen than last, and with the longer generation, the churn will also be a lot higher this gen.
Their prices were, and still are, far too high, so of course it took longer, particularly after the crash...

So the publishers are looking at trying to drag this gen out even longer (even though this has been a horrible gen for most of them - and many of the newcomers to the gen now will be much more budget-conscious consumers), or try to spur on the advance of the next gen (where they are looking at pretty much the same userbase they've been selling to the past two gens, but with a real chance at significantly higher costs once more). Really, they need to either find a way to seriously cut costs, or they need to find a way to expand their market beyond the PS2/XBox - PS3/360 base).
I don't really see either of those things happening, though. I don't know what's going to happen this next generation, but it could get even uglier, that's for sure. It's a strong possibility now, really.

Dennis

Banned
-Frazier also explained that both editions of Star Wars: The Old Republic, the standard and the special collector's version, generated the same dollar sales despite shifting different unit numbers, thanks to the high price point for the special edition. According to NPD data the game sold just over 600,000 physical copies in December.
Thats why they pump out those overpriced package of junk.

All I really want is a map and an artbook.

I just want a new console sooner rather than later, whatever helps me believe.

I have to say, I LOVE that Skyrim is up there still and Zelda is nowhere to be seen.

I really want to see those PS3 Skyrim numbers. These grouped sales just make ppl more curious given the Skyrim debacle.

NavNucST3

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but if the average selling price is over $300 then there aren't more $200 models sold than anything else. In fact, it's likely that would be the least popular model. (And I'm pretty sure it is.)

Microsoft gave us the more than $2.1B hardware for the year and we know the number of units sold-through.

Dalthien

That's just note true, the GC had more major third party titles than that, and so does the Wii. Sure, a majority of major third party titles on both platforms, and PS3/360 ones in particular, weren't released on Wii, but you exaggerate. For the GC, as I said earlier yes, third party support fell in 2004, but that still left several years with better third party support, and some multiplatform games even after that. The Wii didn't reach that level, but there were a few here and there.

Oh, and of those four publishers you keep mentioning, Ubisoft and EA have supported both the GC and Wii pretty well. Sega too. Capcom... on and off. (And on the note of Capcom, what, are you forgetting REmake and RE0 already, to name a few?)
Well, I wasn't trying to give an exhaustive list, but yeah, you can add RE0 and REmake to the list. I'd throw Rogue Leader in there as well. But again, the few examples that do exist are almost all from Japanese pubs.

My point was referring to the investments in the platform from pubs, not the totality of the software. The Wii in particular has had a ton of software released, and has actually sold a great deal of 3rd-party software in the US. But none of it was from major investments. It was all in the categories that I listed. Small-budget stuff that really won't affect a major pub's bottom line much if it fails. If it hits big, like Just Dance or Carnival Games or Zumba Fitness - then the pub rakes in gobs of free cash. If it doesn't work out, well then try another handful of low-budget things to see if one of them hits. No real damage done.

I was specifically referring to the big-budget, top developer, mainline big franchise projects (like Epic Mickey or Resident Evil) that require major investments and huge risk from the big pubs. Those games were never developed (except for a very few exceptions) with the Cube or Wii in mind. GC/Wii were an afterthought for those AAA-projects. Even all the Cube support that you are referring to all fell in the lazy port category. The Cube got lots of ports, but more often than not they had audio problems, online removed, and a host of other issues. And how many of those big-budget AAA games were made with Cube the lead platform vs shuffling off the port to some separate, small team. Really, those Cube ports were low-budget affairs that would have had a very minimal impact (if any impact at all) on the pubs if those ports never existed at all (as was proven true later when they did just drop all those ports). (By the way, I'm not trying to knock the small-budget stuff. Oftentimes, small-budget games will completely outclass the big budget stuff in terms of fun and enjoyment).

The big and important investment decisions were never geared towards the Cube/Wii from pubs (especially western pubs). They were geared towards PS2 early on, and then started shifting more and more strongly towards XBox as well as the gen wore on. And then those big investments were directed solely at PS3/360 this gen. And those AAA-projects are the ones that define these publishers. They represent a massive portion of the revenues (and profit/loss) of these companies. The small low-budget stuff can be very profitable when it hits, but doesn't really affect the company in a meaningful way (on a project-by-project basis) if it doesn't pan out.

But yeah, good points - and interesting discussion. :)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Main thing IMO is everyone who wants a console really already owns one expect for the extreme cheapy people. You don't hit that super cheap/I might pick up an extra console till you get down to $150 or lower IMO. A $130 base model would sell like CRAZY next year IMO. Then MS could sell the HDD model for like $170 so they'd have two skus under $200. Then price drop that kinect bundle on down to like $250 or even $200 if they want to get nuts.

PS3 needs a price drop as well IMO. Granted the PS3 base system are HDD models, but $250 this late in the game sort of kills it for the consumers still holding out on the PS3. Heck the PS2 really took off @ $150, and the PS3 isn't even at $200 yet.

Xenon

There is no way Sony or MS are in a rush to start selling hardware at a loss again. Sure everyone's sales are down but they are making more on each console. I think MS and Sony are happy just sitting back and seeing how the WiiU's launch goes. I'm pretty sure both companies have all their marketing and production plans laid out and ready to ramp up in a short amount of time if necessary.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There is no way Sony or MS are in a rush to start selling hardware at a loss again. Sure everyone's sales are down but they are making more on each console. I think MS and Sony are happy just sitting back and seeing how the WiiU's launch goes. I'm pretty sure both companies have all their marketing and production plans laid out and ready to ramp up in a short amount of time if necessary.

Maybe I'm crazy, but for the 360 at least I don't see how MS wouldn't still be making cash even with a price cut down to say $150 for the base arcade model. Maybe I'm crazy though.

Xenon

Maybe I'm crazy, but for the 360 at least I don't see how MS wouldn't still be making a price drop even with a price cut down to say $150 for the base arcade model. Maybe I'm crazy though.

? Maybe it's late but I'm not sure what you're asking.

Xenon

Maybe I'm crazy, but for the 360 at least I don't see how MS wouldn't still be making cash even with a price cut down to say $150 for the base arcade model. Maybe I'm crazy though.

With the sales at Christmas they did that. But I expect only a 20-30 dollar price drop when they decide to change MSRP.

To bed I go as well...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I went to Target this week, because my kid had some allowance to burn and he wanted some Skylanders. This is what greeted us:

IMG_0153.jpg

Yeah. Heartbreak. I took a picture of it, because a friend of mine whose kid is also obsessed with the damn things, was also looking for them.

We been out for weeks. After Xmas we had a sale and every kid with a gift card bought it. I have people literally call me every morning asking me if we got any more in stock :/

see5harp

Main thing IMO is everyone who wants a console really already owns one expect for the extreme cheapy people. You don't hit that super cheap/I might pick up an extra console till you get down to $150 or lower IMO. A $130 base model would sell like CRAZY next year IMO. Then MS could sell the HDD model for like $170 so they'd have two skus under $200. Then price drop that kinect bundle on down to like $250 or even $200 if they want to get nuts.

PS3 needs a price drop as well IMO. Granted the PS3 base system are HDD models, but $250 this late in the game sort of kills it for the consumers still holding out on the PS3. Heck the PS2 really took off @ $150, and the PS3 isn't even at $200 yet.

There are plenty of people my age who had kids in the last 5 years or so. There are plenty of sales out there at the current price (but I do agree that a price drop would be nice).

see5harp

We been out for weeks. After Xmas we had a sale and every kid with a gift card bought it. I have people literally call me every morning asking me if we got any more in stock :/

I went to Toys R Us to grab Rayman and a mob of children were completely going mad in the Skylanders section. Kids knew the specific ones they wanted and even the employees seemed to know specific ones that were out of stock.

mujun

Sure but unless I'm mistaken MS is already well in the black this gen and I bet they want to beat Sony out the gate again.

Not that I necessarily believe they will release first half of 2013, though. Devil's advocate for the most part. I do think they'll try and get a new console out next year though. Sony 2014.

It's already been stated, but the PS3 and 360 are up over last year when you consider November and December combined. I really don't think it's all doom and gloom, they simply made the November deals too good which meant that a lot of people who would have otherwise bought in December bought then. Lets at least let it get a few months into 2012 before we start declaring the death of both machines.

2010 (Nov + Dec):
PS3: 1.7m
360: 3.2m

2011 (Nov + Dec):
PS3: 1.8m
360: 3.4m

All that aside, I saw Skylanders in a local store a month or so ago and thought it looked awesome (they had the display with all the figures / toys). I wish I had that sort of thing when I was a kid. :D

It is truly greatest idea ever in videogames. I'm not even joking.

It really is.

Make a game that features collectible characters , price them accordingly and bask in the profit.

What Activision will need to do though is release a new game, quickly. My step-son has over 20 Skylanders which were bought within the first two weeks of owning the game.

Since completing the game, he has only bought one.

Portugeezer

nah, the wii u was always planned for this year. however, it may have been moved to fall of this year to make sure it has a more robust lineup. i guess we'll find out at e3 since i think it's pretty unlikely the mid-2012 release date is going to stick, or will be the launch date worldwide.

I'm sure they'll launch with a killer app at least, probably a Mario game.

It really is.

Make a game that features collectible characters , price them accordingly and bask in the profit.

What Activision will need to do though is release a new game, quickly. My step-son has over 20 Skylanders which were bought within the first two weeks of owning the game.

Since completing the game, he has only bought one.

Nah, they'll release new figures that open up new worlds (like the Pirate ones).

Hero

So how is Call of Duty MW3 faring compared to Black Ops? Better? Equal? Worse? I know a bunch of people who are casual gamers who are getting fatigued with the releases, wondering if maybe the sales for the series have reached its ceiling.

Granted even in a decline any game would wish to sell that kind of amount.

Top Bottom