• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

TheNatural

My Member!
I think cream is just waiting for the grand finale, where he drops the horrible Wii U third party numbers and goes, "abidy, abidy, that's all folks!"

Wow dude you need to go recheck your figures. That's just not correct. At all. Go run that again.
If you've got access to NPD numbers, I'd like to hear how he's wrong.

Edit: ah interesting, creamsugar, your rebuttal. Although the way he worded it couple be open to interpretation I suppose.

Hero

Those are some pretty bad numbers for Wii U. It really should've been able to do much more than that but this is what happens when you have a shitty launch, terrible marketing and a name that only confuses consumers, something they should have learned with how the 3DS launch went. It's like they didn't learn anything from it at all.

They need to release some amazing games this year.

Also the Vita is pathetic. Is it even at 1 million LTD in the US yet?

Arkam

Honestly, if Skyward Sword was on the Wii U with the touch screen controller and in HD... i would have a Wii U right now.

And I would have played Skyward Swords :p
The game looked spectacular... I just couldn't bear to play it via waggle. Maybe we will get it as an HD remake in a couple years.

Dunlop

the xbox 360 was super, SUPER supply-constrained. the ps3 was supply-constrained in november and not so much in december. the wii u was the same as the ps3. the thing to note is that the wii u really dropped off week-to-week from november to december. it's going to have a very poor 2013, probably rivaling the ds's 2005 and the ps3's 2007. or worse.
Was going to post this.I cannot remember the last time a console launched where I could easily find it at any store in the first few months.PS3 included,you could find if you looked but the WiiU was in stock everywhere this holiday season where I live.

Uphill battle for Nintendo ahead

Because GAF.
there is a difference though. This was the wiiU's chance to really make a run here but the MS and Sony successors will now be something they have to keep up with, and their game prospects aren't looking so hot at the moment (that could change at E3....maybe).

So although it's actually not completely bad news, it has worse prospects than the PS360 did at their launch. It doesn't go up from here....it goes down, lol.

Darryl

Banned
Just to be clear, are you saying this because you think the Wii U launch effort was particularly good, or because you think the 360/PS3 suggests particularly poor launch efforts? Because if it's the former...

they had a launch effort with a wide variety of games but none were system sellers, just like how i believe the next sony/MS console is going to launch

They will have substantial third party support. Watch Dogs and Destiny alone will generate more attention than Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros 4 were able to.

Destiny is going to launch on 360 according to those leaked documents, no?

Vita really should be cancelled. I want every ounce of Sony's effort to be in ensuring the ps4 is incredible. Vita is a distraction.

I predict some brutal months ahead for wii u.

The question to ask is how long can Sony afford to lose money selling and marketing Vitas?

Also, how long will retailers hold shelf space for it when the 720 and PS4 arrive and the Wii U and 3DS sections expand?

evangd007

So when does Vita phone happen? 125k? There's nothing to lose...

At this point what does Sony have to gain by staying in the handheld sector?

Gaming-centric phones have been done before. All have failed. Why wed a losing business model to a worthless brand? (Vita/PSP mind you, not Sony)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is more ridiculous than the wiiu is virtualboy remark. We are at the beginning of a new gen we dont know if wiiu will hit its stride, if ps4 will be a massive success or if ms will dominate all. Even if ms dominates and nintendo and sony sell sub 30 million respectively i dont see a sony/nintendo console anytime soon.

Especially if you consider how sony came into the hardware business in the first place.

Guess we'll see.

Kusagari

Vita didn't come close to 250k in November with all the discounts on black Friday.

I find it very hard to believe it broke over 250k in Dec.

UberTag

That's funny, I'm the same, but I sold my Vita 4 months ago. I miss it, but I can't bring myself to buy another since I know the price cut has to be coming. iPad Mini gets my mobile love.
What do you play on it? As a dedicated Vita gamer, I'm curious.
Just The Simpsons Get Tapped, the Walking Dead and a bunch of blown up cell phone games?
Or anything with some actual substance? (I want to know what to try out when I borrow my roommate's iPad for a test drive.)

Vita really should be cancelled. I want every ounce of Sony's effort to be in ensuring the ps4 is incredible. Vita is a distraction.
You're the worst kind of Sony fan.

Kunan

NOA and NOE need to step it up and stop pretending that we're back in the 90s with their awful 3DS timings. They need to hire some people to translate and get these out within a few months of Japan. Hell, I doubt they even need to do that. The release schedule has been so thin the past year that there's no way that the localization teams are backed up. Instead they seem content on offering nothing at all for large periods of time, while Japan gets regular releases.

At this point what does Sony have to gain by staying in the handheld sector?

Gaming-centric phones have been done before. All have failed. Why wed a losing business model to a worthless brand? (Vita/PSP mind you, not Sony)

Yeah I mean that's an option too...

BearPawB

Banned
Just The Simpsons Get Tapped, the Walking Dead and a bunch of blown up cell phone games?
Or anything with some actual substance?

Persona 4, jet set radio, old playstation games (ff7/tactics). All the rest of the PS+ games.
PS+ really makes it worth it. Disgaea.

*edit, oops you were talking about ipad

Rejoice instead of 125k it did 250k.

Vita 125k
ivxqYpEZWpQZ6.gif

Vita 250k
ibzxd7fj4H8ktV.gif

B.O.O.M

they had a launch effort with a wide variety of games but none were system sellers, just like how i believe the next sony/MS console is going to launch

They had a launch effort that had some games and pretty much no marketing. Barring lack of product to sell, I would expect Microsoft to market the hell out of the 720.

Wait, why is everyone panicing if Wii U outperformed both ps360 launches. And dont come with supply/theoretical sales please.

360 and PS3 both had poor launches. But supply issues can be a real factor for launches. I don't know about the 360/PS3, but it was a definite issue with the original Wii.

But, to show how little a good launch matters in the scheme of things, look at the Gamecubes launch numbers and its eventual fate...

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Not surprised at Vita US sales. Seeing retailers still trying to charge close to $300 for it here in Aus when the iPad mini starts at $360 is just unbelievable. Price needs to drop in a massive way.

evangd007

Found it myself
Wii Dec 2006 - 604,200
PS3 Dec 2006 - 490,700
Wii U Dec 2012 - 460,000
360 Dec 2005 - 281,441

And here are PS2's numbers
PS2 October 2000 (Launch) - 391 245
PS2 November 2000 (second month) - 187 554
PS2 December 2000 (first December) -522 239

360 launch was that low? o_O Burden of the first-launch.

AniHawk

I really can't believe how badly the Vita is selling. If that statement is taken to mean that it sold under 250,000 units in December they might as well close up shop.

all we know is that it sold more than 125k. it probably sold under 200k, maybe 150k.

Or anything with some actual substance? (I want to know what to try out when I borrow my roommate's iPad for a test drive.)

Tons of word games, tons of puzzle games, AB Seasons and SW, a couple games similar to Trials Evolution. I'll be getting a Vita again soon to have Lumines again. I just cant do it for more than 150 plus a mem card.

Bruno MB

My Vita prediction (280k) is going to cost me any chance at the #1 overall ranking for the yearly GAF prediction D:

Why did I believe that it would just do terribly instead of Vita-like...

I wouldn't be that sure, I took a quick look at the predictions and I think you're first this month. So there is still hope.

creamsugar

PSP < 50K < ... < 200K < PSV < 250K < ... < 600k < PS3 < 650K

Sorry, the correct percentage should be: cod+ac3+madden13 ~ 85% PSV

test_account

XP-39C²
He said >1 that imples between 125 and 250 there isn't conflicting information here...
Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. It seems that some people saw the "1/10 3DS" and just assumed 125k. Although i must admit that i was thinking closer to 125k when i saw it, eventhough it did say more than 125k.

Lol :) Vita living on the edge.

CDX

Wii Dec 2006 - 604,200
PS3 Dec 2006 - 490,700
Wii U Dec 2012 - 460,000
360 Dec 2005 - 281,441

And here are PS2's numbers
PS2 October 2000 (Launch) - 391 245
PS2 November 2000 (second month) - 187 554
PS2 December 2000 (first December) -522 239

To put it even more into perspective:

Xbox 360 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 607k
PS3 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 687k
Wii U US Launch (Nov+Dec): 890k

Wii U is not setting the world on fire but some of the reactions in this thread are way overblown.

You could even say Wii U is the best North American launch of a HD console in history.
Nintendo should hire me to do their PR.
That makes it seem much better than what I even thought it was

the xbox 360 was super, SUPER supply-constrained. the ps3 was supply-constrained in november and not so much in december. the wii u was the same as the ps3. the thing to note is that the wii u really dropped off week-to-week from november to december. it's going to have a very poor 2013, probably rivaling the ds's 2005 and the ps3's 2007. or worse.
True

Spring 2013 and Summer 2013 could be brutal for the Wii U

Top Bottom