• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

Miles X

PS2 was competing against PS3 at this point in its lifespan. And was sitting at an obviously higher total.

Not that much higher, and it hardly had competition from PS3 (360 and Wii though I'll give you that)

Still that doesn't mean these numbers arnt amazing, the 360's 10th 1 million+ month and in its 8th holiday, what more do you expect?

Majmun

Vita, 3ds and the WiiU had bad starts because of bad marketing or bad support. Or both.

Don't see MS and Sony making the same mistake with their next consoles...
It's never just pricing

they will be supply constrained. thats the thing some people conveniently ignore about wii u sales. it was almost never supply constrained.

i'd bet money you wont be able to find a durango on store shelves in 2013. as any half decent console launch should be. it will be powerful and people will be excited about it.

So like someone earlier said, if Nintendo had shipped only 600k for the holidays (Nov + Dec) then they'd be doing okay because those sales would have been supply constrained?

I think for some people the entire video game console market crashing is a preferable thought to just Wii U not performing well.

Well I mean I could totally see a scenario where mobile gaming is causing the console and handheld markets to shrink, but we have so little data to come to that conclusion right now.

so you'd rather a conversation dominated only with how much they're going to overperform? why limit this to just underperforming?

Well I don't see a bunch of people talking about how they are going to sell gangbusters, just some people who jump to that idea just because wii u isn't doing well.

Striek

First of all, what were expectations for December Wii U sales? I honestly don't know, so I don't know the gauge by which these numbers are a "disaster," other than the PS3 comparison.
As far as I know... analysts pretty much all agreed it would be sold out, as did the majority of gaf. That seemed pretty reasonable before its launch. Now Nintendo themselves? Well we know they expected to ship more than the Wii, and Iwata had this to say in their investor meeting before launch:

"As production only started this summer, it has now become more likely that it is our production capacity, rather than consumer demand, that will place limits on our Wii U prospects for this calendar year"

So like someone earlier said, if Nintendo had shipped only 600k for the holidays (Nov + Dec) then they'd be doing okay because those sales would have been supply constrained?
Missing an important thing. If it was launched, and was sold out, it would be getting the benefit of the doubt because it wouldn't be clear how demand was. Its very clear now.

I wonder if it's worth noting that Nintendo system sales tend to concentrate around the Christmas/holiday period - moreso than the other manufacturers iirc. Ergo, it's only going to get worse in the interim.

Also for comparative purposes, not sure if posted but I found these for 360 launch. Although it was supply constrained.

PS2: 1.5M
GBA/GBM: 1.2M
PSP: 1.12M
NDS: 1.07M
GCN: 606K
XBX: 415K
X360: 281K

DSFan1970

Attach rate? Glorious!
photojan10204045.gif

Th 360 is selling because of the price, the software library/support. It also helps that unlike the Wii, MS future proofed their console so it doesn't look like shit on TV's in 2012.

yeah, price does play a huge factor. there were some amazing deals for all of their sku's going on.

when you have the hot item that people want @ a hot price, it's going to sell very well.

djyella

I'm fascinated to see the sales of next-generation consoles. After the initial boom of core gamers buying the new system, it is really going to be interesting to see how casuals latch on (if at all).

I'm making a chart right now launched aligned to compare the WiiU with the previous gen and waiting for the next consoles...Saving it for a rainy day...lots of people gonna be eating crow but on which side? LOL I'm gonna pop it out either way :) WiiU really needs more data to say anything. I don't see how anyone could say WiiU is a failure though. I guess I've been on GAF enough to know that there is no such thing as doing well...its either great or bombing...no middle ground.

Is console gaming bigger than in 2006 is the qyestion. Are games selling more?

heres 2006 top december top 10

Madden NFL 07, EA—1.9 million
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo--1.5 million
Call of Duty 3, Activision—1.1 million
Cars, THQ—874K
Need for Speed Carbon, EA—871.6K
Gears of War, Microsoft—815.7K
Guitar Hero II, Activision—805.2K
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy, LucasArts—792.3K
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, THQ—731.6K
Tony Hawk’s Project 8, Activision—713.9K

From creamsuger we know that number 6 on this years december npd (Far Cry 3) is greater than 1 million so I am going to assume it probably is, at the very least the top of the charts are.

I don't think Nintendo is doomed. They did decent for a system with very little recognition by the masses.

I think it's always better to see the holiday season that comes after launch. By then, they'll have more games and better recognition.

No we just wouldn't know how demand constrained the system was. When a system sells out it's just impossible to tell if it was because of the stock or the demand so you have to wait a few months.

BlackJace

neither. it's because it isn't powerful enough.

You really think that, despite the piss-poor advertising, meh launch lineup, somewhat hefty price tag, consumer-confusion, mobile dominance, and shitty economy, the crux of the Wii U's launch woes is because "it's not powerful enough"?

Give me a fucking break.

I think for some people the entire video game console market crashing is a preferable thought to just Wii U not performing well.

For some, maybe. But for me, I just believe the landscape is changing and there will be more challenges in this next cycle transition than before. I believe the gaming market is currently being propped up by the inertia of these existing systems and their large userbases. As long as games keep coming, people will keep buying them. But I think when people start being asked to buy the next system in order to buy that next game, it will be a harder sell. They will look at their smart phones, look at their tablets, and consider their other options a bit before pulling the trigger on the new multimedia platform with game-playing capabilities.

But maybe I'll be wrong, who knows.

Coolwhip

Banned

Madden NFL 07, EA—1.9 million
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo--1.5 million
Call of Duty 3, Activision—1.1 million
Cars, THQ—874K
Gears of War, Microsoft—815.7K
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy, LucasArts—792.3K

From creamsuger we know that number 6 on this years december npd (Far Cry 3) is greater than 1 million so I am going to assume it probably is, at the very least the top of the charts are.

Cool thanks, sucks we dont get numbers anymore.

TheNatural

My Member!
Calling this Wii 2 is not some magic bullet. Most Wii owners haven't touched that thing in 2+ years.

Yeah, people keep forgetting that. Somehow Wii from 2007 to 2009 happened yesterday, Wii in 2011 and 2012 was "lalala we don't mention that lala", then Wii U launched.

Wii hasn't been a phenom in like two plus years. And after Wii Fit Plus/Wii Sports 2 came out, what other experiments were casual successes? Wii Music bombed. Wii Party bombed. Mario Sports Mix bombed. Wii Play: Motion bombed. Wii Motion Plus didn't resonate in any large development.

People just conveniently forget the Wii has been in it's decline stage for over two years when mentioning that the new Wii Fit U will be some sort of hit, or any other franchise. There's 50 fitness games out now, there's Kinect, it's commonplace. It's not 2008 anymore.

Kyon

Banned
Just like Vita does since it is a new generation handheld right? Right?

Consoles have nothing to do with it. There isn't room for a handheld like vita with the smartphones and stuff out there along with the 3DS. Not really the same thing lol

RedSwirl

If it was 50-100 bucks more, actually looked like a console from a new generation, and had the games to back it up yeah, it could very well sell gangbusters.

If that element were clearly targeted towards the core audience, perhaps. Nintendo hasn't been in this launch order position since the NES so maybe it could have been an opportunity to be seen as the starter of next gen's graphics leap. Instead however they decided to invest that money into a tablet-like controller, probably for the mass audience.

In terms of the mass audience, I don't they give a shit about a next gen leap in graphics. They would've have bought the Wii otherwise. Again, I think that's just a problem with awareness more than anything else.

Personally (I probably shouldn't bring this up in a sales thread), I'm beyond buying hardware for hardware's sake. I won't be getting a Durango or PS4 day one unless either one has some exclusive game that I have to have.

Reiko

Banned
You really think that, despite the piss-poor advertising, meh launch lineup, somewhat hefty price tag, consumer-confusion, mobile dominance, and shitty economy, the crux of the Wii U's launch woes is because "it's not powerful enough"?

Give me a fucking break.

Well the controller tech justifies the price.

Darryl

Banned
Well I don't see a bunch of people talking about how they are going to sell gangbusters, just some people who jump to that idea just because wii u isn't doing well.

just a few posts above yours

i'd bet money you wont be able to find a durango on store shelves in 2013. as any half decent console launch should be. it will be powerful and people will be excited about it.

if you assume zero information on the Durango/Orbis, these Wii U numbers would be fantastic since the xbox 360 / ps3 are showing a slow death and soon it'll have zero competition. it's not that simple, tho

Yes, because it would show that there is a pent up demand for the product. Having product languish on shelves within six weeks of launch shows that people simply are not interested in what Nintendo is currently offering.

Remember when there were Wii Traccker websites to help people try and be at stores when Wii shipments arrive? They went from that to the Wii U Tracker being "just go to any store."

How could that not be perceived as disappointing? Even their stock has dropped almost 25% since the system launched.

edit: I just noticed that their stock has fallen from $70 in 2008 to $12 now. How on Earth has their management not been fired?

RedSwirl

I do, your buying a current gen system in the eyes of the public without huge backlog of games.the tablet while cool playing in bathroom, doesn't ad like the wii-mote did.

Those are the key words here -- which public?

Give me a fucking break.

I'm basically an agreement with this.

fernoca

Overall decent to good numbers...around what I expected.

360 and 3DS doing a million, no numbers from Sony and Wii U doing under 500k since is still a new console.

Don't know why some expected a million Wii Us when in other threads all you see is complaining about people not knowing about it, stacks of units across stores and lack of advertising and hype.

Madden NFL 07, EA—1.9 million Still posting losses all this year
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo--1.5 million shares at a third their value
Call of Duty 3, Activision—1.1 million Healthy
Cars, THQ—874K Bankrupt, IPs being carved up and sold to the highest bidder
Gears of War, Microsoft—815.7K Healthy
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy, LucasArts—792.3K Sold to Disney

Just an observation on how things have changed really since then at a bigger level than just games, as a barometer of exctly how healthy the industry seems at the moment.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Surely FIFA charting 3rd (> 295k and < 1.5m), 7th (>300k, < 460k), 10th (>243k, <500k) and 10th (<1m) can't be that high.

Those ranges are just based on games we did get numbers for.

Well, FIFA did 353K in one day in its U.S. launch, so let's take the possible range.

Low End: 353 + 300 + 243 + 337 = 1.23 million
High End: 1500 + 460 + 500 + 1000 = 3.46 million

ME3's first month was 1.3 million including PC.

antonz

Yes, because it would show that there is a pent up demand for the product. Having product languish on shelves within six weeks of launch shows that people simply are not interested in what Nintendo is currently offering.

Remember when there were Wii Traccker websites to help people try and be at stores when Wii shipments arrive? They went from that to the Wii U Tracker being "just go to any store."

How could that not be perceived as disappointing? Even their stock has dropped almost 25% since the system launched.

edit: I just noticed that their stock has fallen from $70 in 2008 to $12 now. How on Earth has their management not been fired?

Every system launch going forward is going to be a terrible failure if we are going to line it up against the Wii. The Wii was something so unique it wont be duplicated.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Not that much higher, and it hardly had competition from PS3 (360 and Wii though I'll give you that)

Still that doesn't mean these numbers arnt amazing, the 360's 10th 1 million+ month and in its 8th holiday, what more do you expect?

360 is also selling at a higher price than the PS2 was at this point. $100 cut (+ increased value) from launch is pretty ridiculous.

So you seriously think the "manufactured shortages" that the Wii had helped Nintendo more than hurting it?

FrankT

Based on the information we have currently here are my estimates:

DS - 1,952,688
360 - 5,316,000
PS3 - 3,405,000
Wii - 1,955,000
3DS - 3,648,000
Vita - 1,258,600
Wii U - 885,000

LTD
DS - 53,097,689
360 - 37,980,373
PS3 - 23,381,921
Wii - 40,639,494
3DS - 7,714,000
Vita - 1,258,600
Wii U - 885,000

Vita doesn't look so bad with how much the 3DS under performed last year.

And with that 360 definitely overtaking Wii before year end.

Top Bottom