• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

justchris

chibcicylist said:
Anyone know who thought of the idea of packing it in in the first place? I'm still amazed at the thought that Wii sports was nothing more than a tech demo, yet it is in the same battelfield as Gears of War, Lost Planet(40 million dollahs!) and Resistance. I have this perverted picture in my head of Miis spanking bald space marines and giant enemy crabs with tennis rackets.

Oh wow, I am wishing so hard that I had some photoshop skills to make that image a reality, and so taint the minds of others as you have mine.

andthebeatgoeson

borghe said:
it will definitely go down as one of the most important pack-ins of all time (though you forgot the game that sold a million gameboys.. tetris, which also perfectly defined portable gaming.), and I think the only other launch title that even comes close to it is Super Mario 64. Mind you I'm not saying Wii Sports is as good as SM64.. just that as has been said, it perfectly conveys what the system is about. When you first controlled Mario with the analog stick, you were pretty much "Screw digital controls". The most mainstream common consumer could instantly understand WHY analog controls were so awesome. Same thing here. The most mainstream consumer instantly understands what sets apart the Wii from everyone else.

Kudos to Nintendo. First the laughter at the under-specced machine. Followed by the laughter of the wiimote, and capped by the laughter of the name. Yet it has been the number one selling game system for how many months straight now? It's 1989 all over again (NES/GB)
Tetris being one of the best damn games every elevates it to the best pack in. It defined handheld gaming, was completely pure in the concept of handheld gaming. One of the most replayable games ever. I kept my GBA and bought the gameboy original version just to have.

If the Wii takes over and forces Sony and MS to adopt waggle, Wii Sports may just become the 2nd most important pack in. But for that to happen, Nintendo has to outright dominate and lead the expansion into none-gamers. They would have to significantly increase the console penetration and shoot way pass 120 million consoles sold. Probably not and Wii Sports will sit below Tetris and SMB1.

ylvis_

Banned
Well, me and the source/poster have posted the numbers on another board. According to him he was alowed to post them one week after the February NPD came out, which is today.

nli10

ylvis_ said:
Well, me and the source/poster has posted the numbers on an another board. According to him he was alowed to post them one week after the February NPD came out, which is today.

Wow - reading them on the other board ( :D ) Wii Play at 371,000 compared to Zelda's 1 million plus is mad! I guess that the Americans have different taste to the Japanese and Europeans - pretty sure that everyone here got the extra controller via play.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
nli10 said:
Wow - reading them on the other board ( :D ) Wii Play at 371,000 compared to Zelda's 1 million plus is mad! I guess that the Americans have different taste to the Japanese and Europeans - pretty sure that everyone here got the extra controller via play.

Well, Wii Play has only been out for a month..

donny2112

ylvis_ said:
According to him he was alowed to post them one week after the February NPD came out, which is today.

NeoGAF has an arrangement with NPD, which is how they get their numbers each month through sonycowboy. Part of that arrangement is to only allow "official" NPD #s here. ("Official" meaning you have a reputable news website to source.) Therefore, #s from an individual posting on a message board aren't allowed here.

However, you'd be bound to make some new friends for the few minutes it would be up on the boards before sonycowboy found it, erased it, and banned you. ;)

ylvis_

Banned
donny2112 said:
NeoGAF has an arrangement with NPD, which is how they get their numbers each month through sonycowboy. Part of that arrangement is to only allow "official" NPD #s here. ("Official" meaning you have a reputable news website to source.) Therefore, #s from an individual posting on a message board aren't allowed here.

However, you'd be bound to make some new friends for the few minutes it would be up on the boards before sonycowboy found it, erased it, and banned you. ;)

I feared that :p

Top Bottom