• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

donny2112

They left the brand to die for 2 years and expected it to still carry weight.

From early 2012:
slide02_l.jpg

What this graph shows is how responders feel about the system in question. The reason the Wii part is so big is that even though the sales were currently bad, the Wii still left a good memory for them, so it was still an attractive system for the responders.

Making Wii part of the name: Good
Failing to distinguish this as a new system instead of a $300 add-on: Bad

As mentioned earlier, it'd be incredibly hard to do well, but rebranding the system to Wii 2, at this point, should be on the table for options to take. Easy options are not going to turn this ship around, in my opinion.

Yeah. Like with the original Xbox.

Off-the-shelf parts that Microsoft didn't have much say in the prices for them, so couldn't effectively lower the cost. Not the same situation here. Agree that it's a little more nuanced than just "give it time" for the costs to go down, though.

Edit:
Oh, and the GamePad is not a fixed cost. It can drop in cost, too, just like the Wiimote did over time. (Hopefully drop in price a lot, but we'll see.)

DiscoJer

is there any precedent for renaming a console (and the controller) this far after launch? I agree Wii U is a bad name, but don't see how Wii 2 is much better. Nintendo was smart to keep Wii in the name, given how strong the brand is.

The Atari VCS (Video Computer System) became the Atari 2600 about 5 years after initial launch, when they launched the Atari 5200

prag16

Banned
What parts in the Wii U are going to get cheaper, and how?
Seriously?

CPU, GPU, memory, storage, screen, wireless radio(s), hell, even the BD drive. And then the economy of scale benefits as you manufacture and sell more and more units.

I mean, are you being serious???

Yeah. Like with the original Xbox.
Dude, you're too smart to make that comparison. MS couldn't get the price down on the OG Xbox because they didn't own the IP on the components. I can guarantee you that Nintendo hasn't made that mistake.

The components in the Wii U pad will go down over time just as it got cheap enough to make Wii remotes that they added the motion plus, the question is will the cost come down fast enough to save the product.

Edit: Beaten.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I kind of meant it as an example of how having what sound like commodity parts won't necessarily work out like you expect. As I recall, Microsoft started shipping larger hard drives partitioned for the standard Xbox size because they couldn't get the smaller drives anymore. And having a system based off PC parts and an in-house OS can have its own unforeseen consequences. Just having NVIDIA on board didn't really turn out well, and able to run a Windows variant ended up meaning pretty easy to also run a GNU/Linux variant too.

I'd hope that Nintendo has its hardware ducks all in a row, and planned the system for aggressive cost cutting over the next five years.

I also hoped they'd properly market the system and court 3rd parties with a new plan that would keep them on board.

And, if sales continue to be sluggish, neither of those things is going to work out. Cutting costs on ramped up production when you can't move your current stock simply won't work out, commodity parts or not.

But, like I said, not everything works out like you expect.

Today my law professor mentioned the Playstation 4 and the wii. I have heard several people mention the PS4. Only my gaming enthusiast friends seem to be aware what a Wii U is. A relaunch couldn't hurt....

Doesn't a large part of the cost cutting come from consistent manufacturing? As it stands Nintendo might end up having to shut down factories while Wii U's languish in warehouses meaning costs won't go down anytime soon.

I wonder if there is the chance of Nintendo just caving and throwing a wiimote into the bundle. No matter how much Nintendo wants to think that it's all fine because there a millions of wiimotes out there, controllers degrade over time, and this also is a barrier for new customers. I feel like they could encourage more social interactivty by including a Wiimote into the box which would cost them nothing to do.

Today my law professor mentioned the Playstation 4 and the wii. I have heard several people mention the PS4. Only my gaming enthusiast friends seem to be aware what a Wii U is. A relaunch couldn't hurt....

They have to wait until this holiday. A relaunch of the system at 250 dollars with Mario Kart and 3D Mario launching at the same time could do wonders. If they try and relaunch now they have nothing to back up a relaunch with. People would just ignore the console for a 2nd time and that would just damage the perception of the console. It could be a good thing no one knows what the hell a Wii U is because it might just be worse if people knew what it was and realized the release schedule was terrible for the next couple of months.

donny2112

Drop the price $100 on each SKU.
Rename the thing Wii 2 (not like there's that many people to be hurt from that at this point).
Give ambassador games to early adopters and offer trade-ins for a small cost for those that just have to have the new name.

=>

Sales increase and the system is actually relevant. "Oh there's a successor to the Wii out? Why didn't anyone tell me?!?"
Nintendo loses $1 billion next FY.
Iwata resigns as penance (or maybe just steps down to take an advisor role).

vs.

Stay with current name.
Stay with current price.
Put out games people want, "but not at those prices. Ffs!"

=>

Move into GameCube level irrelevance.
Maybe come close to making $1 billion next year.
Iwata keeps job, but no one's happy with sales result.

For all of its shortcomings and failings (no actual console shown, no price etc), Sony's PS Meeting has already succeeded in one aspect where Nintendo has failed; to at least implant the idea that the PS4 is coming, and to get that pre launch hype/buzz started amongst the general populace. I got flashes of the PS2 era where Sony buried the Dreamcast with just the pre launch hype alone by extolling the power of the PS2 and its specifications.

I look at the Wii U, and all I can wonder is what happened to that winning advertorial strategy they employed with the Wii; the whimsical ads, the national exposure on Oprah. Nintendo's current feeble attempts to gain Wii U mindshare is just uncharacteristically feeble as compared to the gold standard they set with the Wii.

Rename the thing Wii 2 (not like there's that many people to be hurt from that at this point).
Give ambassador games to early adopters and offer trade-ins for a small cost for those that just have to have the new name.

=>

Sales increase and the system is actually relevant. "Oh there's a successor to the Wii out? Why didn't anyone tell me?!?"

I do wonder how far Iwata is willing to go to save the system. I know the last part was probably sarcasm, but he would definitely be out the door if they lost a billion dollars. I don't think a 100 dollar pricedrop would end up cost them that much though with all the huge things they have for 3DS this year.

I look at the Wii U, and all I can wonder is what happened to that winning advertorial strategy they employed with the Wii; the whimsical ads, the national exposure on Oprah. Nintendo's current feeble attempts to gain Wii U mindshare is just uncharacteristically feeble as compared to the gold standard they set with the Wii.

Did Nintendo even try to get mainstream exposure for Wii U last holiday? I think Vita might have had more exposure in the media. Supposedly the election screwed their marketing campaign up though, although even after the election the marketing campaign they put out was terrible and inconsistent.

donny2112

I know the last part was probably sarcasm, but he would definitely be out the door if they lost a billion dollars.

It wasn't sarcasm. If they really went to the floor to save Wii U, they'd have to throw out their $1 billion profit goal for next year and probably replace it with heavy losses, and Iwata would probably be pressured to or at least feel like he should step down for the profit failure. This isn't an either/or situation, though. There's probably some other paths out there. These seem like the most-straightforward ones, so here's hoping they can find a successful, less straight-forward one!

Maybe it's coming, but I'm flabbergasted that Nintendo didn't announce their Pokemon version of Skylanders. I think that could have been a system seller honestly and they could have made a ton of profit off the toys alone. If I had to think of one way Nintendo could make the Wii U relevant now it would be something like that. They could even do some extras to go along with Pokemon X/Y. Nintendo's franchises have so much (for lack of a better word) exploitation potential that it amazes me Nintendo never goes the full distance with anything.

Striek

I doubt renaming it will do dick. Is the market that owned a Wii yet doesn't realise the Wii U is a new console even after a new system? What about the Wii U/Wii 2 would appeal to them?

And said rebranding would be a massive investment in itself.

Price drop OTOH...

CPU and GPU cost reduction presumably require process shrinks.

Generally economies of scale dictate price reduction of other components, don't they? Presumably things like the NFC etc. will reduce in price as they become more ubiquitous. Whereas features that are Wii U specific may not reduce much?
From early 2012:
slide02_l.jpg

What this graph shows is how responders feel about the system in question. The reason the Wii part is so big is that even though the sales were currently bad, the Wii still left a good memory for them, so it was still an attractive system for the responders.

Does Nintendo detail the methodology and sample size etc. of the survey?

Is there anything from an earlier timeframe to compare as well?

Is it really beyond the pall to suggest the Wii brand was diminished due to inactivity?

Also, relatively unrelated but... what's SNS?

I don't know how much I trust Nintendo's studies after they came to the conclusion that the handheld business was not in danger from smartphones at all. At this point, it's pretty clear there has been a significant impact.

donny2112

Does Nintendo detail the methodology and sample size etc. of the survey?

It's part of their surveys they've been doing for years. The same kinds of ones where they show how many people have been gaming over the last year, etc. Don't think I recall 100% the methodology and don't want to get it wrong to undercut/overstate the usefulness of the numbers. Hopefully someone recalls better their methodology on the gaming population surveys and can post?

Edit:
Oh, it says something about the surveys on the graph. That's part, at least.

Is there anything from an earlier timeframe to compare as well?

Think they said this was the first time for this particular question. It's from last June's Q&A session.

Is it really beyond the pall to suggest the Wii brand was diminished due to inactivity?

I'm sure it did diminish due to inactivity, but it also could've been much higher than this previously, if they had asked the question before.

Also, relatively unrelated but... what's SNS?

Social Networking Service.

Edit:
Here we go.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/090508/02.html

starting in May 2005, we have been conducting interview surveys with approximately 3000 people twice a year in Osaka and Tokyo in Japan in order to confirm the progress of our gaming population expansion strategy by estimating the number of game players, the number of people who used to play but who do not today, and those who have never played video games at all, and by researching the gaming population for each hardware.

We started a similar endeavor later in the overseas market. In the U.S. we have asked Mediamark Research & Intelligence, a leading research company in the U.S., to conduct the research three times since 2007. For each research, the methodology used are random phone samplings asking for cooperation, then survey by mail. We have had more than 4500 people participate.

Number of participants might've changed since 2009, but that should be the gist of it.

AzaK

And never sell another launch product again because people will wait for the inevitable ambassador program.

=>

vs.

Stay with current name.
Stay with current price.
Put out games people want, "but not at those prices. Ffs!"

=>

Move into GameCube level irrelevance.
Maybe come close to making $1 billion next year.
Iwata keeps job, but no one's happy with sales result.
Gamecube dropped its price, didn't help out one bit.

Road

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1872...crossgenerational_software_sales_analysis.php

Here's the first chart.
top-10-xbox-ps2-gc-generation-v2.png

As always, corrections and comments welcome.

For what is worth, since GH3 isn't on that list, and it sold 2.72 million on the PS2 in 2007 alone, even the no. 10 is likely over 3 million. And, yeah, it sold most of its units on PS2, Xbox 360 and Wii, so they ended up split among generations.

Nice article. The whole first list posted though must be >3.5M (GT3) btw. SSB:M also did over 3M, so I'm not sure on this claim:
Or, to draw another easy comparison, I am fairly confident that total sales of the top ten titles on the Xbox, PlayStation 2, and GameCube comes in under 50 million units. For the newer list, the figure is well over 100 million units, and just the top four are enough to get over 50 million.

Maybe not under 50 million, but I guess in the 50 to 60 million range, yeah. Still a huge jump to 100 million, which I guess is the point.

Striek

Nice article. The whole first list posted though must be >3.5M (GT3) btw. SSB:M also did over 3M, so I'm not sure on this claim:
Or, to draw another easy comparison, I am fairly confident that total sales of the top ten titles on the Xbox, PlayStation 2, and GameCube comes in under 50 million units. For the newer list, the figure is well over 100 million units, and just the top four are enough to get over 50 million.

Bruno MB

I don't know how reliable these US sales figures from Magic Box are, but this is what these 10 titles apparently had sold as of December 27, 2007.

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 9.15m
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - 8.20m
3. Halo 2 - 6.67m
4. Grand Theft Auto III - 6.55m
5. Madden NFL 2005 - 5.77m (missing GC sales)
6. Maden NFL 06 - 3.71m (missing Xbox and GC sales)
7. Halo: Combat Evolved - 4.91m
8. Madden NFL 2004 - 3.95m (missing Xbox and GC sales)
9. Madden NFL 07 - 2.37m (missing Xbox and GC sales)
10. Need for Speed: Underground - 4.02m (missing GC sales)

Pociask

From early 2012:
slide02_l.jpg

Failing to distinguish this as a new system instead of a $300 add-on: Bad

A couple of interesting things about this survey. In America, at least, it seems to be getting at, "What system do you own and like to play games on the most, and/or would you like to own and play games on the most?" The Wii, even in 2012, when it was completely dead, was still pulling roughly the same numbers as the HD twins.

On the other hand, what's the value in grouping every single system together this way? Surely they'd want to at least differentiate between home and portable systems? Also, why not ask about "Unnamed successor to the 360, Unnamed successor to the PS3, and the Wii U, successor to the Wii?" Hopefully they were polling about how much excitement they were building.

One last quick point - I'd like to see a survey of Most Attractive Console by manufacturer. I'd guess that the Nintendo brand has as much pull as the Wii brand, and they could have named the next system the Nintendo Whizbang, for all that it ended up mattering.

[Also - dat smartphone/cell phone! In Japan, already as attractive as the 3ds. DOOOMED :)]

donny2112

Gamecube dropped its price, didn't help out one bit.

GameCube didn't launch first, and it dropped $50. The PS2 and Xbox also dropped $100 right around the same time. Therefore after all the price drops, PS2 and Xbox were closer to GameCube's price than they were before the price drops.

Dropping Wii U's price $100 before this Fall, while catastrophically bad for profits and possibly Iwata's job, would put a huge difference between it and whatever the launch price for PS4/720 will be.

donny2112

From the old NPD lists and keeping track, #10 is ~4m, and the whole Top 10 is right around 60m. Still not as much as this gen, but, yeah, clearly over 50m.

Agree with the article's point about the split this gen, though. It's is like politics now. The split is disturbing.

saichi

For all of its shortcomings and failings (no actual console shown, no price etc), Sony's PS Meeting has already succeeded in one aspect where Nintendo has failed; to at least implant the idea that the PS4 is coming, and to get that pre launch hype/buzz started amongst the general populace. I got flashes of the PS2 era where Sony buried the Dreamcast with just the pre launch hype alone by extolling the power of the PS2 and its specifications.

This is like saying Winning E3 would help a company win the holiday which is not usually the case.

Anth0ny

is there any precedent for renaming a console (and the controller) this far after launch? I agree Wii U is a bad name, but don't see how Wii 2 is much better. Nintendo was smart to keep Wii in the name, given how strong the brand is.

Is the name that strong? It's been all but dead since the end of 2010.

It honestly feels like Nintendo is marketing this thing as if it's 2010, and Wii is still on top of the world. The must have forgot that two year period between 2011 and now where they released about 3 games for the fucking thing, and 360 took over the world.

noobie

Guys PS3 201k is more than last year's Jan numbers?
Thats not bad.. rather a bit impressive.. any reason why it rose? i dont think there was any new marketing campaign or new exclusive or high profile launch for PS3?

Celine

GameCube didn't launch first, and it dropped $50. The PS2 and Xbox also dropped $100 right around the same time. Therefore after all the price drops, PS2 and Xbox were closer to GameCube's price than they were before the price drops.

Dropping Wii U's price $100 before this Fall, while catastrophically bad for profits and possibly Iwata's job, would put a huge difference between it and whatever the launch price for PS4/720 will be.
I still regard that as one of the significant advantage Iwata brought in when he became CEO compared to Yamauchi management.

ascii42

Thats not bad.. rather a bit impressive.. any reason why it rose? i dont think there was any new marketing campaign or new exclusive or high profile launch for PS3?

5 weeks of tracking this year instead of 4 weeks.

Anth0ny

This. 3DS needed an $80 price drop during its first holiday, and unless Wii U wants to be engulfed by PS4/720, it's going to need a major price drop. A $199/$249 Wii U + Mario Kart + 3D Mario would look pretty good in comparison to $399+ new consoles.

Real pathetic that they didn't learn shit from 3DS launch, even after claiming they did!

5 weeks of sales (vs 4), also slimmer model has launched since then with price drop.

Nintendoland showcased the tablet but fundemntally it doesnt have that new/innovative quality to it. To me Its more of a bridge title to potentially appeal to wii owners who are gamers but not necessarly the core. I dont think it was designed to have the same level broad market appeal that were discussing.

The thing is their past playbook is strong indicator not of their success per say but of their future potential actions. Odds are there going to try and repeat what works for them. Again they dont need a single huge breakout. To start they need 1 moderate breakout in the causal space. They can build from there.

AS I mentioned earlier the advantage of creating these types of games is fro ma development stand point they are cheaper and faster to produce. They can take more swings at the bat dollar for dollar and hour for hour in contrast to producing a core gamer game with big budget visuals.

Dude, look at nintendos own track record in the wii/ds era. The are the only developer to create casual market success on multiple occasions. So yes, there is probability element to it. They have the best odds in the business of doing this. They have the most success, experience and a platform they designed with this exact idea in mind.

Does any of the above guarantee anything? No. But the evidence outside based on their history and what they have said and done is much more telling then all the doom and gloom bs based on poor sales so early in the life cycle.

People seem to be contrasting things to the past, which is fine but your contrasting it to past that was focused mostly on targeting the core gamer crowd with core games. This is not the same thing. The rules are different and not completely known yet. But the core foundation driving nintendo is aligned with a particular goal. (grab new and existing parts of the potential expanded audience)

The path to success with their approach is different, which means the measurements and time frames most here are working with while valid are limited since there are some different variables & strategies at play. (some known and some unknown)

You are literally arguing that Harmonix, MS, and Sony can easily replicate the success of GH3, Kinect, and Singstar simply by try-hard.

spock

You are literally arguing that Harmonix, MS, and Sony can easily replicate the success of GH3, Kinect, and Singstar simply by try-hard.

Not exactly, because I'm talking about Nintendo replicating their own success not someone else's. They also have done it in multiple genres/segments which gives their ability to do it again more weight & increased probability.

I think the difference is that Nintendo's track record with this sort of thing brings a diversity of examples over a long number of years (Mario Party, Animal Crossing, Warioware, Brain-Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Tomodachi Collection, Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy, etc). Harmonix made one type of game (to death) and Microsoft just aped Nintendo for Kinect (with a fraction the success and a fraction the staying power). Really only Sony's remotely comparable, but their casual successes have generally been on a much lower scale (EyeToy, Singstar, Buzz, etc) and mostly limited to a single region (Europe).

Brashnir

I think the difference is that Nintendo's track record with this sort of thing brings a diversity of examples over a long number of years (Mario Party, Animal Crossing, Warioware, Brain-Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Tomodachi Collection, Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy, etc). Harmonix made one type of game (to death) and Microsoft just aped Nintendo for Kinect (with a fraction the success and a fraction the staying power). Really only Sony's remotely comparable, but their casual successes have generally been on a much lower scale (EyeToy, Singstar, Buzz, etc) and mostly limited to a single region (Europe).

Exactly 4 of that long list are big casual hits, and they all came out within a pretty short time window. Nobody's questioning whether or not Nintendo had a hot hand 6-8 years ago. Their fingers were firmly planted on the pulse for a while there, but they've not shown any more inclination than anyone else to hit one out of the park with the casual crowd since Wii Fit.

donny2112

Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit Plus

expanding to games that casuals also play ...

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

and as far as "anyone else"

Just Dance1/2/3/4

Should've said since 2010 and kept it to just Nintendo. :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hoping they're right

Wii January 2013 Chart

Just Dance 4
Skylanders Giants
Zumba Fitness Core
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Super Mario Galaxy
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
Just Dance Disney Party

Wii TTM (February 2012-January 2013) Chart

Just Dance 4
Just Dance 3
Mario Party 9
Skylanders Giants
Super Mario Galaxy
Zumba Fitness 2
uDraw Studio: Instant Artist
Wii Sports

3DS January 2013 Chart

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Angry Birds Trilogy
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of lllusion
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King Why'd you steal our garbage?!!

3DS TTM (February 2012-January 2013) Chart

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Angry Birds Trilogy
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Mario Tennis Open
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D