• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD March 2011 Sales Results [Update 2: Super Street Fighter IV 3D]

That puts the Wii back in last place among the home consoles. I hear a hundred publishers high-fiving and declaring "Mission Accomplished". I wonder if any of them learned anything. I wonder if Nintendo did.

Averon

pharmboy044 said:
Not sure why Sony did not give these numbers. They look pretty respectable for March.

Sony's been up YoY for most, if not all, of the year so far. Like you, I'm not sure why they're being coy with these numbers. Being up YoY despite still having a $300 price tag is great.

Elios83

Averon said:
Sony's been up YoY for most, if not all, of the year so far. Like you, I'm not sure why they're being coy with these numbers. Being up YoY despite still having a $300 price tag is great.

I guess they have chosen not to disclose their numbers unless there's a special occasion (ex. they're first, they achieved a particular sales milestone, there's a new launch and things like that).

Trevelyon

Road said:
Estimated:

PS3: 365,000
PSP: 188,000

Give it or take a couple of thousands.

Good numbers! Wasn't expecting much from the vague 'up double digits YoY', was thinking like 10-12%. Definitely very competitive numbers on the PS3 side, nothing to scoff at.

donny2112

pharmboy044 said:
Not sure why Sony did not give these numbers. They look pretty respectable for March.

I think it's a matter of, if they give the numbers out when it's good, it'd be too suspicious to not give the numbers out when it's bad. Better to just not give any numbers out, at all, and then they "control" what people know about their sales fortunes in the U.S. It's not like NPD minds giving out less data, after all. :p

ZoddGutts

Graphics Horse said:
I'd never have guessed PSP was selling more units in the US than Japan. Edit: Seems around the same? 190k ish March total.

Edit: I'm stupid and comparing previous 5 weeks in Japan instead of March weeks. Someone else have a go.

I'm more surprised that they didn't do a price cut for the PSP much sooner.

donny2112

Top selling Wii games in March.

1) Just Dance 2
2) Zumba Fitness
3) Super Mario All-Stars
4) Michael Jackson: The Experience
5) LEGO Star Wars III
6) Mario Sports Mix

2011-03_Wii_Top10.jpg

Observations:
* 4 third-party games + 2 new releases in top 6. This is actually a bad thing for Nintendo 1st-party. It means their "evergreens" are shedding their pine needles. Reasonable considering that the "evergreens" were usually the "must buy with Wii" games and Wii sales have been down.
* 3 of top 4 are Dance titles. Wii now the "Dance" machine? Definitely that way in U.K. Interesting to see it that way currently in the U.S., too.

Top Bottom