• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

UberTag

user_nat said:
Come on. How can you look at that list and not suspect it is ordered by sales?

The debate rages on..
There's no debate. It's clearly being ranked by brick & mortar sales revenue no matter how many people try to spin it differently.

Jonsoncao

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
"[Anita Frazier's Commentary: ((194.6K + 154.5K) * 1.28) - 270K]"

After the last GAF math thread, I expect at least three different answers and many pages of arguing.
lol well played

Sean

Banned
thirty said:
Price drop this fall for 360 is a lock with that last sentence in the PR statement. Not like it wasnt already tho.

Depends what you consider a price drop. I think MS will keep the same prices but "add value" by bundling the Kinect with every 360.

Wii price cut has made it the best selling console in the UK for a number of weeks now, so I wouldn't count on it being entirely ineffectual in NPD's next month results. Especially seeing as Wii Play: Motion just landed...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sean said:
Depends what you consider a price drop. I think MS will keep the same prices but "add value" by bundling the Kinect with every 360.

Seems logically, especially given all the Kinect support they showed at E3. I imagine they'll want every new 360 owner to have a Kinect by default.

UberTag

demonturkey said:
Wii price cut has made it the best selling console in the UK for a number of weeks now, so I wouldn't count on it being entirely ineffectual in NPD's next month results. Especially seeing as Wii Play: Motion just landed...
I believe Wii will be back in the #1 slot next month.
(I also believe it sold more than the PS3's 177K in May.)

Raide

Kagari said:
Seems logically, especially given all the Kinect support they showed at E3. I imagine they'll want every new 360 owner to have a Kinect by default.

They need to get that Dance Central 2 bundle sorted ASAP.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Amir0x said:
Nice to see L.A. Noire, although it doesn't deserve a spot that high (7.5/10). It was heavily flawed but I'd like to see them work the concept into something genuinely great. The foundation is there, unlike a Heavy Rain.
Heavy rain was easily more entertaining than LA Noire. I haven't even finished the game, don't think I will. It's kind of crazy to say that considering I was ready for LA Noire to blow away any kind of detective/story driven game I've played.

But hey, opinions. :p

Still deserved to sell well, glad to have contributed towards the sales.

jett

D-Member
Galvanise_ said:
Fucking hell. Its not even a crazy David Cage thread and people still want to shit on Heavy Rain!

Hehe.

It's even funnier that Heavy Rain is shat on to prop up LA Noire.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Come on Nintendo you don't want to do it and I hate to say this BUT I hope OOT flops so you get it in your head you need a stronger lineup of new games and a gosh damn price drop.

Come on Nintendo we need a price drop STAT!!!

chubigans said:
Heavy rain was easily more entertaining than LA Noire. I haven't even finished the game, don't think I will. It's kind of crazy to say that considering I was ready for LA Noire to blow away any kind of detective/story driven game I've played.

Entertaining if you like watching sheer stupidity, I suppose. I mean, I guess it's sort of entertaining if you approach it from a post-modern, "this is pretty hilarious" sort of way?

Jokeropia

loosus said:
Yeah, these just aren't as interesting as they used to be and nowhere near as interesting as they were about six or seven years ago. I mean, it's always the same now: Microsoft and Sony are neck-and-neck, and Nintendo barely stays relevant. You knew what the deal was going to be before you clicked the damn thread.
YTD HW through April:

Nintendo: 3.291m
Microsoft: 1.646m
Sony: 1.526m

360: 1.646m
PS3: 1.238m
Wii: 1.236m

Your fanboyism is clouding your memory.

Guevara

Brettison said:
Come on Nintendo you don't want to do it and I hate to say this BUT I hope OOT flops so you get it in your head you need a stronger lineup of new games and a gosh damn price drop.

Datapoint: I'll be buying OoT and I don't even own a 3DS (yet).

KingDizzi

Banned
Fighting words there by MS with them saying they will be the top selling console WW thus year. Price drop is coming, question is when.

antonz

Brettison said:

It doesnt need a price drop. It needs content. Price drop with no content = same results.

jett

D-Member
timetokill said:
Entertaining if you like watching sheer stupidity, I suppose. I mean, I guess it's sort of entertaining if you approach it from a post-modern, "this is pretty hilarious" sort of way?

I don't know, the Heavy Rain demo(haven't played the full game) sure was more entertaining than the entirety of game design abortion that is LA Noire.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
timetokill said:
We ought to have a LA Noire vs Heavy Rain thread. That would be very entertaining.

Hmm, I just might do that actually.

Black and White is selling low than Heart Gold and Soul Silver or something? That was an odd comment in the commentary, considering those were remakes.

Nice for PS3 to experience sales growth, guess people accepted the fact that connected services are only one small portion of the value offered in the box and games.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
antonz said:
It doesnt need a price drop. It needs content. Price drop with no content = same results.

I don't disagree, but content creation won't be sped up in the short term. We could get a price drop in the short term.

PS: This is all for my own personal enjoyment as I don't own a 3DS, but would buy one if it was on the cheap(er) low.

offshore

So the Wii had its fair share of success in the US, the 360 is now having plenty of success in the US...Sony must be wondering when its turn is.

Amir0x

Banned
chubigans said:
We ought to have a LA Noire vs Heavy Rain thread. That would be very entertaining.

Hmm, I just might do that actually.

It's not fair to heavy Rain since that's not a game.

should be in off topic

Bigfoot

user_nat said:
Come on. How can you look at that list and not suspect it is ordered by sales?

The debate rages on..

I still think it is ordered by revenue and not # of sales, but since 360 and PS3 games cost the same, it shows which of the two sold the most. If a Wii game is listed first, it is for sure the #1 seller in copies since Wii games are usually $10 cheaper.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Amir0x said:
It's not fair to heavy Rain since that's not a game.

should be in off topic
MGS4 vs Heavy Rain: The clash of non-games!

Surprise of the month is Brink. I figured that would bomb a few months ago, turned out to be the second best seller of the month.

itxaka

Defeatist
mr stroke said:
wait no Witcher 2?

I thought it sold 400k units?

In the US? That will be a huge victory taking into account the state of PC gaming over there no?

Anyway, probably digital most of them? Steam + Gog + d2d.

Mrbob

We need those 3DS numbers leaked. We need to know what 'light' actually means. I think there is too much faith in OOT 3D being a system seller. Nintendo needs a new Mario game stat.

Top Bottom