• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

DR2K

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
Do you think Sony is getting value for money from all the money-hatting they've been doing since Arkham Asylum?

I know alot of stuff still sold more on 360. Recently Dead Space 2 was confirmed selling more on 360 in the UK despite being advertised as a PS3 exclusive. It seems like Sony made it a strategy to secure game content exclusives or similar (special editions etc.) but i'm not feeling their efforts are changing the tide. Karma for saying they don't money hat beforehand u think heh?

Yeah, but there are territories outside the US that sell games.

entremet

Nintendo really overstepped with the pricing. What the heck were they thinking? Did they forget how price sensitive customers are?

I think even a $50 dollar price cut to the 360 could be a big deal. They are already selling very well and any sort of price cut this year will see them having fantastic numbers.

entrement said:
Nintendo really overstepped with the pricing. What the heck were they thinking? Did they forget how price sensitive customers are?

I still think this isn't the problem. The problem is the terrible software line-up. We'll see how much of an issue the price is during the holidays when nintendos big game release.

fernoca

Nice to see Mortal Kombat still in the top 10. :)
Around 1.5 million in 38 days, in the US. :)
Really awesome for a nearly 20 years old, fighting, Mature-rated franchise. XD

And so glad to see LA Noire at the top.; well deserved. :)

Rhindle

Rollo Tomasi said:
Weird..I guess we can all give a round of applause to Brink's marketing team!
Seriously. Brink has to be the most successful marketing snow-job in recent memory. It should sell about 35 copies for June.

strem

Red Nightmare said:
People really buy those shitty Lego games? Why?

Having two kids under 10 the Lego games are really awesome to play co-op with them. Parents will never be afraid to buy their kid a Lego game

AniHawk

Jaded Alyx said:
No, but seriously.

Mario Kart.
seriously though, i don't think any one piece of software is going to do it, but if it does, it certainly won't be one we're all anticipating. the hypothetical game that saves the 3ds from being the psp2 will be one we aren't even looking at. see: brain age, monster hunter, gta iii, etc

Somnid

AniHawk said:
seriously though, i don't think any one piece of software is going to do it, and it certainly won't be one we're all anticipating either. the hypothetical game that saves the 3ds from being the psp2 will be one we aren't even looking at. see: brain age, monster hunter, gta iii, etc

I think the whole holiday lineup with the holiday season will push a lot. Mario Kart is the biggest of them all though. For the long term they need the new hits, we have no idea what these'll be and for all we know it could be revival software as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Red Nightmare said:
People really buy those shitty Lego games? Why?
I know they seem like marketing grabs, and maybe they're getting there, but they really seem to keep some level of quality as far as I know. Some of the recent ones like Pirates and Clone Wars have gotten positive impressions as far as I know. The games are especially great (PC/console versions) if you have a son/daughter/brother/sister to play with. There are jokes and potentially tougher puzzles for the adults, simpler gameplay for kids, collection stuff for people who like 100%ing things (as long as the game doesn't glitch as with Harry Potter?), and if one player gets stuck at one part the other player can help them out.

I know there are a lot of them, but it still seems like the quality is pretty decent all things considered.

Rhindle

I would not be too concerned about the fate of the 3DS.

All Nintendo needs to do is knock $50 off the price, and discontinue the DS.

Rollo Tomasi said:
Dead for now. It will rise again like a phoenix. Just you wait.

Not until NPD gets competition. I'm affraid it's going to get worse before it gets better. I'm sure NPD will find a way to shut up Major Nelson from releasing anything at all

bishoptl said:
I finished LA Noire last night. That ending was hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Does Phelps discover that he is in fact the serial killer that he's been chasing, as well as his own most recent victim?

PSGames said:
I don't remember the DS being a break out hit at launch. It took Nintendogs and Brain Training before the DS really exploded.
Different time, different situation. Nintendo was hot when the 3ds was released. Expectations were high cause the product awareness was super high. Not so much when the Ds was released. Nintendo was struggling a little and working their way up.

When you release a new "next step" console on the tail of the best selling portable system of all time, expectations change. This stuff will typically be more front loaded when you're hot due to an abundance of hype.

Busaiku

AniHawk said:
seriously though, i don't think any one piece of software is going to do it, but if it does, it certainly won't be one we're all anticipating. the hypothetical game that saves the 3ds from being the psp2 will be one we aren't even looking at. see: brain age, monster hunter, gta iii, etc
Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros probably did the most for DS.

Somnid

Mr. B Natural said:
Different time, different situation. Nintendo was hot when the 3ds was released. Expectations were high cause the product awareness was super high. Not so much when the Ds was released. Nintendo was struggling a little and working their way up.

When you release a new "next step" console on the tail of the best selling portable system of all time, expectations change. This stuff will typically be more front loaded when you're hot due to an abundance of hype.

This is hardly true. 3DS released to little fanfare, in effect that's part of the problem. People aren't buying expensive items in March, and certainly not ones without killer software. People aren't hyped and it's not front-loaded.

KingDizzi said:
Of course everyone knows that so I'm just replying to this stupid post for no reason, this is what you have done to me NPD!
If everyone knows that the only stupids are Sony amirite? Since obviously money-hatting doesn't work.
DR2K said:
Yeah, but there are territories outside the US that sell games.
NPD thread (or what little there is of one), so I don't know what your problem is.

Mr. B Natural said:

The PS3 is hardly what I would call "front-loaded".

TheOddOne

PlayStation 3 Sees 14 Percent Year-Over-Year Growth For May 2011
Following today's NPD reports for May 2011, Sony announced that U.S. PlayStation 3 hardware sales have increased 14 percent year-over-year, and that the platform has now seen its fourth consecutive month of sales growth.

"We are pleased to see that according to the May NPD report, PlayStation 3 hardware sales increased 14% year-over-year," said Patrick Seybold, Sony Computer Entertainment America's director of corporate communications.

According to last year's NPD data, Sony's PlayStation 3 sold 154,500 units in May 2010 -- factoring in Sony's reported 14 percent increase year-over-year, the platform sold approximately 176,130 units in May 2011.

Seybold also pointed out that as of May 2011, the PlayStation 3 has seen its "fourth consecutive month of double-digit growth."

At Sony's E3 press conference last week, the company reported that hardware sales increased following the re-launch of the PlayStation Network.

fernoca said:
Don't forget banned in some places and not sold in others.

Alrus

fernoca said:

Why are you surprised by this? Main MK games always sold really well.

Opiate

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The PS3 is hardly what I would call "front-loaded".

Only thanks to a generous 5 billion dollar subsidy from Sony. Will Nintendo do the same?

I'm not saying 3DS can't succeed. It may not -- likely will not -- need the sort of losses Sony incurred to make it successful. But I would say that Nintendo, historically, tends to let platforms die if the only way to revive them is to spend tons of money.

I would imagine on the Wii side you've got only two weeks with the price drop in effect and the prior two weeks where folks knew a price drop was coming.

I'm not ready to call the platform dead until I see next month.

Opiate said:
Only thanks to a generous 5 billion dollar subsidy from Sony. Will Nintendo do the same?

I'm not saying 3DS can't succeed. It may not -- likely will not -- need the sort of losses Sony incurred to make it successful. But I would say that Nintendo, historically, tends to let platforms die if the only way to revive them is to spend tons of money.

By all accounts, Nintendo is selling the 3DS at a healthy profit margin, they have a long way to go before they are anywhere near losing money Sony style.

xbhaskarx

TheOddOne said:
PlayStation 3 Sees 14 Percent Year-Over-Year Growth For May 2011
According to last year's NPD data, Sony's PlayStation 3 sold 154,500 units in May 2010 -- factoring in Sony's reported 14 percent increase year-over-year, the platform sold approximately 176,130 units in May 2011.
EviLore said:
PlayStation 3: 177K (+15%) [Anita Frazier's Commentary: ((194.6K + 154.5K) * 1.28) - 270K]

Round it down!

At Sony's E3 press conference last week, the company reported that hardware sales increased following the re-launch of the PlayStation Network.

Whoa, increased?? Finally definitive proof that "things sell better when they work than when they don't work."

TheOddOne

supermackem said:
Hmmm did the whole psn thing do much if any damage then?. I know people were saying it would kill them but it doesnt seem to have had much effect. 360 doing well again, they dont need a strong core first party line up when the console seems to be getting stronger off less core titles power of kinect?.
It barely made a dent in the sales indeed. Dunno if people though that Sony lineup would drive the sales, because for most part are sequels to games that sold decently.

Did we ever get info how much LBP2, Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4 sold?

Opiate

Basileus777 said:
By all accounts, Nintendo is selling the 3DS at a healthy profit margin, they have a long way to go before they are anywhere near losing money Sony style.

Right, that's why I said they likely wouldn't lose money in that way.

Let's just agree that if Nintendo really wanted to, they could drop the price of the 3DS to 50 dollars right now, and they would still be losing less money per system than Sony was at the launch of the PS3.

Needless to say, the 3DS would immediately and hilariously dominate. They could do that, but don't have the luxuries that Sony is afforded by being a gigantic, multinational corporation with enormous external resources at their disposal.

Opiate said:

The comparison only further points out how out of whack the PS3 was at launch. Few games, high price, yes they had that in common, but Sony had to start ripping the innards out of the thing within 6 months in order to drop the price, and it still wasn't enough to avoid taking a loss for every console sold for years. Nintendo has much more flexibility on price (as it's being sold at a hefty premium), and their strongest software has always been internal, so they don't necessarily have to "wait for" MGS/FF/Virtua Fighter from 3rd parties in order to pick things up.

Incendiary said:
Good on L.A. Noire and Brink. Both fantastic games. And glad to see Portal 2 have some legs.

But this begs the question: If Brink is doing well....why do I only end up playing with bots online? Sad face.
I can get into 'standard rules' games with other players easily - though they are rarely full. I hope the free DLC helps revive the game and bring some people to try it again post-patch. I think, outside of Halo - it's the most fun I've had in a competitive/objective shooting game this gen. It's certainly not perfect but they landed alot of great ideas that I hope make it into other games/brink2.

Top Bottom