• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2011 Sales Results [Up1: All Hardware, BF/Batman/Rage, All PRs]

ThisWreckage said:
Sony has to disrupt the console cycle next generation quite frankly. If Microsoft launches in 2013 then I think Sony has to launch a full two years later in 2015 with much more powerful hardware, a strong launch line up, and strong partnerships with third party companies. Next generation will be a repeat in NA if Sony launches one year after the next Microsoft console. Launching a full year after Microsoft with similar hardware is not going to cut it. They've got to break the trend and release a console that differentiates the two.

If Sony is in last place in NA, why would they want to launch two years later than their main rival? Sony has had plenty of time to work on a console (especially since this generation has been longer than usual).

FrankT

Not sure how 360 continues on like it does in the face of price cuts with no price cut, but amazing. Could make for a big November at this rate. The deals are certainly there as well as my wife essentially got us one for $107 off Target.com this week. Somehow rang up as $157 and had a $50 card with it. The BF deals are certainly there as well. The real surprise is the PS3 down YoY post price cut. Last two months should be interesting. Price at this point is becoming less and less of an issue. Particularly when the ASP actually crossed lines last month. Not sure MS can maintain par with last year, but should do well overall. Actually, doing the math it could be close to 2010 total in the end, which I'm sure for MS is more than enough especially without the cut. Not sure if they are holding out for a cut right around Wii U at this point or what, but they probably should have at least moved on the price in the EU. ~1.2M buffer should allow them to actually take this year versus the Wii finally. Unless of course Dec is just crazy for the Wii. Gap based on last Dec wouldn't cut it however.

Kudos to From for Dark Souls. Really my game of the year at this point just edging out Portal 2. Doesn't count in Skyrim yet, but we'll see. I also doubt in 80/20 claims from earlier going by UK figures at 58/42 first week and actually iirc the paths crossing at least one week. Deserved multiplatform and I hope it sales a ton.

As for next-gen everything is on a much more equal playing field and timing is going to be key.

Mr. Serious Business said:
If Sony is in last place in NA, why would they want to launch two years later than their main rival? Sony has had plenty of time to work on a console (especially since this generation has been longer than usual).

Because there is no way they can disrupt the console cycle in another way. It's not like the PS4 is going to be released in 2012. It's just not. Hell, the PS3 isn't even sub 200 dollars yet.

ThisWreckage said:
Sony has to disrupt the console cycle next generation quite frankly. If Microsoft launches in 2013 then I think Sony has to launch a full two years later in 2015 with much more powerful hardware, a strong launch line up, and strong partnerships with third party companies. Next generation will be a repeat in NA if Sony launches one year after the next Microsoft console. Launching a full year after Microsoft with similar hardware is not going to cut it. They've got to break the trend and release a console that differentiates the two.

When was the last time the most powerful system ever won the generation?

OldJadedGamer said:
When was the last time the most powerful system ever won the generation?

Like I said earlier, it's the only thing that can even hope to do to turn the tide. The next Xbox console will definitely be out before the PS4 so Sony has got to do something to differentiate the two products. It's obvious that great software isn't doing a thing for them.

FrankT

Puppet Shadow said:
Any chance the Xbox division at MS will sell enough by the end of this year to be out of the red this gen?

They crossed profit line on this gen last quarter. Based on the quarter of the 360 launching they needed around 300 million to do it and they hit 352M iirc. Will they make up for last gen probably not but they could cut a couple of billion into it before next gen. Just depends on when they launch the next box really. Doesn't really matter though as it is all forward looking at this point.

Puppet Shadow said:
Any chance the Xbox division at MS will sell enough by the end of this year to be out of the red this gen?

They are basically out of the red now for 360. As for the original Xbox, if their profits continue to sour as they have been lately, it'll probably take another two years to get even/green.

GavinGT

Banned
ThisWreckage said:

That would be the worst possible move for Sony. It would give the new Xbox a two-year lead, and it would ensure that all third-party projects were started on the next Xbox and ported over to PS4. It would mean better looking first-party games, but Sony's first-party stuff hasn't been selling so well this generation, anyways.

FateBreaker said:
They are basically out of the red now for 360. As for the original Xbox, if their profits continue to sour as they have been lately, it'll probably take another two years to get even/green.

Huh? Record October and their profits are souring?

ThisWreckage said:
Like I said earlier, it's the only thing that can even hope to do to turn the tide. The next Xbox console will definitely be out before the PS4 so Sony has got to do something to differentiate the two products. It's obvious that great software isn't doing a thing for them.

Next gen won't be about hardware... it will be about who has the best services.

Truth101

Banned
JaxJag said:
I love the fact that Japanese games have become such a small niche in gaming. I never liked Japanese games/anime, always found them to be annoying. Even embarrassing at times.

Shit like this is sickening. Because something is different and you don't like it should disappear and die, or crawl into a hole. You know some dictators had that line of though before too....

OldJadedGamer said:
Next gen won't be about hardware... it will be about who has the best services.

If it's not about hardware, then they shouldn't release new hardware since they can make new and better services without the hardware. It's going to be a lot about hardware.

ThisWreckage said:
PS4 would be dead on arrival if it launched two years later. Xbox would have two years worth of 3rd party exclusives and a big install base advantage. Big AAA 3rd party games would initially be better on the Xbox because developers will be working on their 2nd and 3rd games for the system.

There would also big a big time price disadvantage since Sony's current financial state doesn't allow them to lose billions on hardware again. PS4 at $400 and the new Xbox at $200? No contest.

venne

BurntPork said:
Well, Nintendo needs to go back to the drawing board.
Nintendo's an exception. It would be like Disney releasing their own video format, there bound to be a sizable audience that will pick it up just to get their stuff.

I won't expect Wii level craziness for the WiiU, but I don't see it flopping. Too many Nintendoholics.

BurntPork

Banned
venne said:
Nintendo's an exception. It would be like Disney releasing their own video format, there bound to be a sizable audience that will pick it up just to get their stuff.

I won't expect Wii level craziness for the WiiU, but I don't see it flopping. Too many Nintendoholics.
Gamecube.

pixelbox

Puppet Shadow said:
Honestly though, one could make up a list going the other way. Personally, I picked up a big Sony bias from the gaming press when the PS3 came out. I really had the impression they wanted to see the Wii fail, and the 'superior hardware' of the PS3 come out on top.
PS3 never got good press. The launch was associated with stabbings/being expensive/and inferior with talk of 360 generating better graphics for less because of general processing.

Well, the PS4 is dead on arrival then. There's no way in hell the PS4 launches before the next Xbox. You can also count on the next Xbox having a better online experience just because Microsoft is more experienced with it.

pixelbox

OldJadedGamer said:
Now look back at last gen with those same kinds of judgement and think about how the Xbox and GameCube were treating in relation to the PS2 in stores and the media. Or go a gen past that and how the N64 was treated in the wake of PS1 at stores and in the media. It seems that everyone just started gaming this gen or have ADD and forgot all about every other generation ever.
It was warranted because of the great games and freedom allowed on the platform. Nintendo blocked mature games and MS wanted to push their online service. Sony only required games to be 3D.

pixelbox

bigtroyjon said:
PS4 would be dead on arrival if it launched two years later. Xbox would have two years worth of 3rd party exclusives and a big install base advantage. Big AAA 3rd party games would initially be better on the Xbox because developers will be working on their 2nd and 3rd games for the system.

There would also big a big time price disadvantage since Sony's current financial state doesn't allow them to lose billions on hardware again. PS4 at $400 and the new Xbox at $200? No contest.
Well Cell's R&D supposedly paid for PS4.

FateBreaker said:
I'm assuming you meant soar, and not sour? Thanks for the replies, I thought with them raking in the money with Live there was a chance they might do it this year.

bigtroyjon said:

Pretty much this. Good points.

pixelbox said:
PS3 never got good press. The launch was associated with stabbings/being expensive/and inferior with talk of 360 generating better graphics for less because of general processing.
I was going to argue further, but I googled 'ps3 launch reception' and actually it looks like you're right. Mainstream press unimpressed.

pixelbox said:
Well Cell's R&D supposedly paid for PS4.
First I've heard of this, you have a link I can check out? Awesome for Sony if this is the case.

Sydle

Puppet Shadow said:
I was going to argue further, but I googled 'ps3 launch reception' and actually it looks like you're right. Mainstream press unimpressed.

Sony's fault, as well as select gaming journalist, for building up unrealistic expectations. It's not anyone else's fault they showed those silly KZ2 target renders way before launch and then people had to wait several years to see anything close to it. However, I suppose if I had sell Kuturagi's $600 mistake I'd try to sell the potential as well.

Who said the "order of magnitude more powerful than 360" bit?

sleepykyo

ThisWreckage said:
Well, the PS4 is dead on arrival then. There's no way in hell the PS4 launches before the next Xbox. You can also count on the next Xbox having a better online experience just because Microsoft is more experienced with it.

US wise, yes. Globally, maybe, maybe not. To tie it back to this being a NPD, maybe the best strategy (as crazy as it sounds) is to just concede the US (and just try to staunch the financial bleeding).

Whatever Sony's differentiation strategy is, it's going to have to be more than just more power.

sleepykyo said:
US wise, yes. Globally, maybe, maybe not. To tie it back to this being a NPD, maybe the best strategy (as crazy as it sounds) is to just concede the US (and just try to staunch the financial bleeding).

Whatever Sony's differentiation strategy is, it's going to have to be more than just more power.
Concede the world's largest market? Great plan.

ThisWreckage said:

It's not necessary that the next Xbox will have a better online service than the PS4 but LIVE will certainly be more popular than whatever Sony will have to offer simply because the brand is so strong.

ThisWreckage said:
PS4 won't lag far behind the 720, if at all. Sony didn't waste much time unveiling and releasing a 3DS competitor, and home consoles are still much more important for them.

LQX

JB1981 said:
The Xbox caters to Western tastes and Western devs are more skilled than Japanese and make better games with better tech. Pretty simple. Has nothing to do with nationalism.
Well the Japanese really need to expand there tastes if it is not nationalism. Cant be that the only way to serve them is make a super niche game. Western gamers have been playing Japanese games for decades without the sentiment of that "this is too Japanese". They should try to do the same.

pixelbox

Puppet Shadow said:

First I've heard of this, you have a link I can check out? Awesome for Sony if this is the case.
They had slides of a Cell with 4 PPUs and 32 SPUs. Although they won't continue with Cell the R&D is their for a more refined architecture similar to Cell. Little work is needed for R&D to create a branch off architecture like Cell, thus they are able to have impressive hardware with low cost. That's if Sony uses the R&D...

The real problem with the PS3 was the absolutely terrible launch. The stigma of "The PS3 has no games," still haunts them.

The Japanese devs have also really fucked up.

FF13 took forever to make, some consider it mediocre, and it was ported to the 360.

GT5 to forever to make. I must say that Polyphony has supported the game post launch like no other dev has done this generation. They need to be applauded for that.

Last Guardian has taken forever to make.

Where is RE6? RE5 was a worse game than RE4.

Metal Gear Solid 4. Still no trophy support? Still no director's cut? It remained an exclusive, but at what price?

You've got Western devs cranking out three games (Uncharted series, etc.) in the time that it takes a Japanese dev to make ONE game. Not to mention that Japanese devs have a identity crisis. Emulating Western devs is not what gave them acclaim and fortune. People bought Japanese games in the past because of their personal identity.

Luckyman

Banned
GavinGT said:
That would be the worst possible move for Sony. It would give the new Xbox a two-year lead, and it would ensure that all third-party projects were started on the next Xbox and ported over to PS4. It would mean better looking first-party games, but Sony's first-party stuff hasn't been selling so well this generation, anyways.

True next next-gen projects wont be started until few years into the generation anyway. You will mostly get prettier versions. They cant afford not to port to current consoles unfortunately until there is huge base of 720s

Selling racing games to the US is seemingly not an easy proposition.

I'm struggling to think of the last one that did massive numbers, at least without going way back into last gen.

Massa

Paco said:
Huh? Didn't GT5 chart in or around the same position its opening month?

GT5 sold 400k in the first 5 days it charted in November, and another 560k the following month. Forza 4 sold less than 350k in about 20 days.

Top Bottom