• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2011 Sales Results [Up1: All Hardware, BF/Batman/Rage, All PRs]

[QUOTE="OldJadedGamer]If you are judging them by their past successes and previous statements before the gen started... then yes. It should be doing better.[/QUOTE]

Not judging them by that at all. In fact i always thought it was insane when people bring up sonys past history in PS3 sales threads.

[QUOTE="LosDaddie]But why should the ps3 be doing better?[/QUOTE]

<250K is great to you? Even after a price drop?

Look at the software library it has.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Not judging them by that at all. In fact i always thought it was insane when people bring up sonys past history in PS3 sales threads.

Well, every company/system has improved their standing from the previous gen except for one. That is why the 3DS is being judged so harshly now. It is the same effect.

LosDaddie

Banned
Kung Fu Grip said:
Not judging them by that at all. In fact i always thought it was insane when people bring up sonya past history in PS3 sales threads.

That's not insane, though. One way to judge sales performance of a product is to look back on previous sales of the product that preceded it. In fact, that's the norm

<250K is great to you? Even after a price drop?

Look at the software library it has.

It's not horrible, either. This doesn't have to be about extremes, ya know. Software-wise the ps3 is great, but so is the x360

LosDaddie said:
It's not horrible, either. This doesn't have to be about extremes, ya know. Software-wise the ps3 is great, but so is the x360

I think the problem is that folks are putting too much faith in PS3 exclusives being system sellers when looking at sales of the system they really aren't. People are buying new systems mostly for third party games.

Kazerei

Banned
Lots of great games in the top 10 last month. This holiday season is gonna be awesome. I haven't been this excited about sales discussions since like 2006-2009.

Xena

Very happy for Dark Souls even though it's not my kind of game. I want to see variety on these top tens... not to mention the DS fanbase is really something else.

I simply cannot wait to see November's chart.

nym

Neo Member
happy to see both Rage and Dark Souls do well. Wish their numbers where a little higher, but honestly those are both better than I expected.

[QUOTE="LosDaddie] That's not insane, though. One way to judge sales performance of a product is to look back on previous sales of the product that preceded it. In fact, that's the norm[/QUOTE]

To a certain extent, yes. But not to live and die by. I don't know if you noticed, but whether the PS3 sells good its always shrugged off because its not on PS2's level. The PS2 sold a ton, everybody knows that, let the PS3 stand on its own.

[QUOTE="OldJadedGamer] I think the problem is that folks are putting too much faith in PS3 exclusives being system sellers when looking at sales of the system they really aren't. People are buying new systems mostly for third party games. [/QUOTE]

I don't know what anybody else thinks, but i know sonys first party titles aren't system sellers. I wish they were. I was talking about both first party and 3rd party software. The library is huge.

Its one of the reasons i still don't own a 360. I like all of sonys published IP's (I own almost all of them) plus i still get the benefit of all 3rd party games.

Trevelyon

Dark Souls WW Shipments:

Japan: Released on 9/22, 370,000 shipped
North America: Released on 10/4, 620,000 shipped
Europe: Released on 10/7, 470,000 shipped
Asia: Released on 10/18, 40,000 shipped

I was skeptical about the sell-through on what was shipped, thought it might be too lofty for US tastes.

But man, did Namco-Bandai hit their mark, if its not front loaded as hell for October across both platforms, they'll definitely reship another 200k or so in the new year, which is fan-fucking-tastic.

Also, their sell through in Japan is right on target, Europe is the only mystery left in just how well Dark Souls has done.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Dark Souls charted that is all that matters.

And PS3 sold a lot less than my estimation in the prediction thread, duh.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Expected more from BF3.
I never thought it could touch Call of Duty, especially not in the US, but it seemed to me that the hype for BF was so insane to finally see the latter putting up a little fight with the former before getting obliterated in December and in the coming months (COD has incredible legs).
Of course it's still a great number, and it must have sold a ton on PC DD, but I thought the franchise had gotten even bigger than it really is.

Glad for Batman, Rocksteady deserves it, and of course it's really nice to see such a particular game (Dark Souls) making those kind of numbers. Maybe not everyone wants handholding first and foremost in today's gaming, take note devs.

Yeah, with the Xbox 360 having record sales month after month there is no way Microsoft is going to launch a new console at the end of neat year. I fully expect a fall 2013 launch for it.

Right now the Xbox 360 is pure profit. Microsoft has reduced production costs immensely with the introduction of the newer Xbox 360 slim model and they are still are able to charge $400 in bundles that include Kinect, a camera that costs them less than $20 to manufacture. While some of us want to see new hardware there is no way Microsoft is going to get rid of a money printing machine like that.

Edit: Like many others have said, it is good to see Dark Souls on the list. They were the underdog for the month and they managed to hold their own and land at a very respectable place on the chart.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dash Kappei said:
Expected more from BF3.
I never thought it could touch Call of Duty, especially not in the US, but it seemed to me that the hype for BF was so insane to finally see the latter putting up a little fight with the former before getting obliterated in December and in the coming months (COD has incredible legs).
Of course it's still a great number, and it must have sold a ton on PC DD, but I thought the franchise had gotten even bigger than it really is.
Would anyone be complaining about BF3's sales if CoD didn't exist? I don't even know that it's a fair comparison. CoD is a record breaking cultural phenomenon at this point.

SapientWolf said:
Would anyone be complaining about BF3's sales if CoD didn't exist? I don't even know that it's a fair comparison. CoD is a record breaking cultural phenomenon at this point.
EA invites the comparisons. They can't just arbitrarily draw a line at the part they don't like.

Raide

Quicksilver4648 said:
Yeah, with the Xbox 360 having record sales month after month there is no way Microsoft is going to launch a new console at the end of neat year. I fully expect a fall 2013 launch for it.

Right now the Xbox 360 is pure profit. Microsoft has reduced production costs immensely with the introduction of the newer Xbox 360 slim model and they are still are able to charge $400 in bundles that include Kinect, a camera that costs them less than $20 to manufacture. While some of us want to see new hardware there is no way Microsoft is going to get rid of a money printing machine like that.

Drop the 360 to <$150+Kinect and they could still launch a new console aimed at the hardcore gamer for $399+

At that price it could knock the wind out of Wii-U sales and they would still be bringing in cash to support the 360-2.

Sony chose profitability when they announced their price drop and I'm not sure that was the right decision. I really do think that a 199.99 PS3 could have done wonders for them, but they passed on such a price point in favor of a 50 dollar drop instead.

I suppose it doesn't matter because Sony has an extremely bad name in the U.S. When I went to the Skyrim midnight release almost everyone was buying the 360 version. My friend was openly mocked for picking up the PS3 version.

Wasn't EA going on about going on about how it'd get a way bigger share of the shooter market compared to last year? I'm not sure it'll be that different if MW3 grows significantly from Black Ops, which day 1 sales and preorders seem to be pointing to.

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Wasn't EA going on about going on about how it'd get a way bigger share of the shooter market compared to last year? I'm not sure it'll be that different if MW3 grows significantly from Black Ops, which day 1 sales and preorders seem to be pointing to.

BF3 is going to have its own legs though. BF3 is going to double the amount of business it did from before, whereas mw3 will probably only get up to 33% boost in total sales, so bf3 is going to make up at least SOME ground, not much though =/

Kagari said:
Because $50 isn't that effective. November should be more interesting with almost every retailer offering a $199 PS3 + 2 $60 games for Black Friday.

Some retailers are also offering U$139 360s and U$99 Wiis, I guess it will depend on stock for each console.

If I were Sony I would sit on the PS3 and rake in profit for as long as I possibly could. The only thing that is going to derail Microsoft in the U.S. is if Sony releases a more powerful console years after the next Xbox has been out. It's imperative that Sony has high quality sequels and new IPs that launch with the PS4.

They completely bungled this generation. The high launch price continues to haunt them. Some franchises completely ate shit and they continued funding such projects. It just goes on and on.

LOCK

CrocMother said:
This late in the console cycle nobody cares about console sales.
Also this late in the cycle, how many third parties care anymore? Which is the most important issue that I can think of...

Sales now are for bragging rights, and to line the pocketbooks (Nintendo), or to fill in the financial hole (Sony and Microsoft).

So happy to see Dark Souls charting, didn't expect Arkham City to top Battlefield but fuck yes for it getting #2. Glad both games are doing well. Also glad to see Rage on there, I have a soft spot for id, and while I didn't purchase the game myself I'm glad to see it did respectable and didn't bomb completely.

Aspiring said:
That's why I don't think they will. There is no need. Its old hardware and very profitable. Why get rid of it when it's making tons of cash. I think the grist reports of 2014-15 will be correct it would be stupid otherwise. The 3DS shows this. There was no need for an upgrade. It was selling gangbusters an try did and look at how the 3DS started.

I think the PS2 shows this too. PS3 could have launched the year after and be signficantly more powerful than the 360 with 1GB+ RAM for U$400. For those that don't know, PS2 has outsold both the PS3 and the 360 since each one launched (I believe that is still true).

I think MS would have to be insane/stupid to launch XBox next in 2012. IIRC, CliffyB and others have hinted that HW is not powerful enough for a full generation leap just yet, I believe they're gonna wait until 2014 to launch the system.

ThisWreckage said:
If I were Sony I would sit on the PS3 and rake in profit for as long as I possibly could. The only thing that is going to derail Microsoft in the U.S. is if Sony releases a more powerful console years after the next Xbox has been out.
So for a few years Sony allows itself to be known as the console with the shitty graphics?

Onion_Relish said:
BF3 is going to have its own legs though. BF3 is going to double the amount of business it did from before, whereas mw3 will probably only get up to 33% boost in total sales, so bf3 is going to make up at least SOME ground, not much though =/
Didn't BC2 sell about 1.3 million in its first month in the US? I don't see how BF3s sales can be anything but disappointing, it debuted lower than Gears 3 on a single platform. If it's still in the top 10 in December it would be a miracle.

Someone asked if it will sell a million next month...probably closer to 500k.

Puppet Shadow said:
So for a few years Sony allows itself to be known as the console with the shitty graphics?

What's your point? The PS2 was not nearly as impressive as the Xbox, Gamecube, and arguably, the Dreamcast graphically. Yet it did well. Very well.

Mindlog

The online communities are going to go a long way to stratifying global ratios around their current levels. My previous infatuation was with ASP. As we slowly approach the next-gen launch window my curiosity lies with active online users.

I humbly submit that the platforms can realize increased launch window pricing if Live/PSN users are blasting their friends with upgrade messaging. A simple Loop logo or 4 in the background of friend notifications would be enough.

Yay, Dark Batman.

ThisWreckage said:
What's your point? The PS2 was not nearly as impressive as the Xbox, Gamecube, and arguably, the Dreamcast graphically. Yet it did well. Very well.
How did the PS2 do after the next gen started?

fernoca

Just noticed that Black Ops is finally out of the Top 10. :p

Probably preparations/expectations for Modern Warfare 3. But it also goes to show that the recent COD games not only had great/impressive debut months, it had near-year long legs. Guess we'll see if MW3 follows tradition.

Puppet Shadow said:
How did the PS2 do after the next gen started?

The PS2 continues to sell well and if Sony didn't tell its devs to start focusing on PS3 software they could have moved a bunch of software as well. It was a totally conscious choice for them to move on to the PS3.

Microsoft has Halo, Gears, and Call of Duty. It's sad to say, but one might as well consider Call of Duty to be a 360 exclusive given the split. Those are three enormous games. Sony cannot contend with that. They've got to regroup.

How in the world did BF3 ship 10 million when Arkham City, a game that was nowhere near as big, managed to ship nearly as many on one fewer platform?

nasos_333

Amazing sales for 360, it is still going strong without a price drop, they must be doing something very right :)

This year they only had Gears and Forza so far and sell unbelievably well

Next year they have far more big name games

Witcher 2
Skyrim timed exclusive DLC Expansions
Mass Effect 3 Kinect version
Halo 4
a new Alan Wake
a new Fable
Ryse from Crytek
Draco from Panzer Dragoon team

and a super collection of XBLA games, i see sales going far stronger in 2012

Kung Fu Grip said:
Its one of the reasons i still don't own a 360. I like all of sonys published IP's (I own almost all of them) plus i still get the benefit of all 3rd party games.

That's what skews the perception somewhat - such preferences are a subjective thing. Most people clearly prefer their Halos, Gears and Fables to Sony's first party games, at least in the US. Sony does pump out a lot of games that are often perceived as great on GAF and some other corners of the internet, but their review scores and sales performances indicate that they're merely solid. Would money spent on Ratchets, Motorstorms, Killzones and Resistances have been better spent elsewhere? Not if you're a fan of those franchises, obviously, but from the business perspective?

Because when it comes down to it, for all its plentiful first party output, Sony has approximately as many standout franchises as Microsoft (I'm talking about this generation), but Microsoft has two huge shooters - a genre that's been very popular for a long time, especially in the US - and a couple of very successful motion controlled games, while Sony has none. It's not hard to see that the "but look at all the Sony's games!" argument does not hold up for many people.

Top Bottom