• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2012 Sales Results [Up3: NBA, MoH, NSMB2 + History, Pokemon, RE6]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In the last 12 months ( October 2011 - September 2012):

Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 540k
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Sonic Generations
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] - 225k + September number. Unknown in September but probably not much more than 25k considering it was nº3 for the month and nº5 (Angry Birds Trilogy did <23k)

- Anihawk said that Sonic Generations LTD was KH3D first month + 25k but I now wonder if he meant KH (August + September) + 25k

Poor RE:R. And SSFIV must still be the best selling 3rd party game with ~350-400k

Probably Anihawk said it since creamsugar posted sometime ago the 3DS top 20 which showed Sonic Generations as the closest title to 250k in the group between 200k and 250k. I don't know if he has the numbers anymore ( I'm saying this since in the past years he used leaking numbers but he's not doing it anymore)

And yes, RE:R is such a shame ;_;

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
How does it compare to Dreamcast/Saturn NA sales? I know it only recently fell behind DC in Japan, launch-aligned.
Don't have that data unfortunately.
Holy crap. Really? Wow.
The PSP didn't go below 100k a single month until 5 years after being released. The second worst is the PS3 which had three consecutive months selling <100k in its first year.
AndrewDean84xX said:
What about the 3DS?
I have 3DS at 5.924 million LTD and 1.858 million YTD.

I think he was asking about the LTD for the 3DS in the same timeframe but I might be wrong. Either way the comparison is not going to look good at all because the 3DS had gotten its pricepoint and bounced back from that one sub 100k month.

At least Sony is being nice to the current owners of the system with the PS+ thing.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I think he was asking about the LTD for the 3DS in the same timeframe but I might be wrong. Either way the comparison is not going to look good at all because the 3DS had gotten its pricepoint and bounced back from that one sub 100k month.
3DS was at 2.466 million at the same timeframe, but remember the 3DS was launched a month later. The 3DS actually had two sub 100k months, but they weren't consecutive and unlike the Vita were both in the 90k range.
metalslimer said:
At least Sony is being nice to the current owners of the system with the PS+ thing.
It's the best they can do seeing they can't afford to cut the price. I have no idea what percentage of Vita owners will be subscribed, but I doubt it's enough to help boost the platform when third-party support starts to dry up. It's bound to happen if performance continues to suffer. I'm sure PS+ is a profitable service, but expanding the market will only increase it's profitability, so it's a higher priority.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Can't see that happening [i.e. Vita less than a million by year's end in U.S.]. Maybe not cross 1 million with November's data (though it may), but it should definitely cross it with December. Remember, there's a large segment of the market that historically only really looks for console hardware in the Christmas season. See Dec-2009 Wii vs. the rest of 2009 (and following in 2010) for Wii as a clear example of that.
Here's a serious question. Do we think they've shipped a million into the U.S.? I presume there has been only one main shipment, maybe two. Did they put 1 million into the channel to be sold?

I'm not sure, as a retailer, that I would have agreed to take any more into my business after seeing summer figures.

donny2112

Here's a serious question. Do we think they've shipped a million into the U.S.? I presume there has been only one main shipment, maybe two. Did they put 1 million into the channel to be sold?

I'm not sure, as a retailer, that I would have agreed to take any more into my business after seeing summer figures.

Retailers are having Black Friday bundles for Vita, so they'll have stock for that. Also, it's still a new system, no matter how low it's sold in the last few months. I'm sure they'll make sure there's buyback/price protection for any shipments they receive, but there should pretty easily be at least 500K shipped over the Oct-Dec period in the U.S. There'll definitely be stock for Vita to be able to cross 1 million this year, so if it fails to, it will be due to consumers saying "not good enough" as opposed to retailers who've said "enough."

If you're looking for actual figures, all we have is the combined PSP/PSV worldwide shipped figures, I think. Price protection allows retailers to take more risk in accepting stock, though, so the big box guys should have plenty available.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Retailers are having Black Friday bundles for Vita, so they'll have stock for that. Also, it's still a new system, no matter how low it's sold in the last few months. I'm sure they'll make sure there's buyback/price protection for any shipments they receive, but there should pretty easily be at least 500K shipped over the Oct-Dec period in the U.S. There'll definitely be stock for Vita to be able to cross 1 million this year, so if it fails to, it will be due to consumers saying "not good enough" as opposed to retailers who've said "enough."

If you're looking for actual figures, all we have is the combined PSP/PSV worldwide shipped figures, I think. Price protection allows retailers to take more risk in accepting stock, though, so the big box guys should have plenty available, though.
Fine by me, then. The supply is there.

Now it's just up to consumers to supply the demand. :) We will know soon!

Road

Top Bottom