• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Hcoregamer00 said:
N'Gai in his blog shows that he is an articulate man who has tremendous insight into the gaming industry.

I don't know about you but I have a higher regard of him compared to any gaming "journalists."

I like N'Gai, but he's still not what you would call a "journalist." He's more of a mainstream reporter who happens to have street cred.

I've yet to see a video game "journalist" provide the kinds of scoops on the level of Christine Biederman's damning article about Ion Storm. 1UP, N'Gai, and a few others test the waters, but most video game writers don't even go that far.

andthebeatgoeson

dammitmattt said:
I like N'Gai, but he's still not what you would call a "journalist." He's more of a mainstream reporter who happens to have street cred.

I've yet to see a video game "journalist" provide the kinds of scoops on the level of Christine Biederman's damning article about Ion Storm. 1UP, N'Gai, and a few others test the waters, but most video game writers don't even go that far.

I don't know about that. Maybe he doesn't get the scoop but he at least has some balls. No filler crap to appease the fans. Reading the Peter Moore interview, he pinned Moore down on some tough questions.

When Pete pulled the old 'Wii is gonna slow down' crap, he called him on it.
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/05/18/the-peter-moore-interview-part-iv.aspx

They seem to have very good supply, even though it's not enough, and they seem to have really strong demand. They seem to be reaching into audiences that traditionally haven't gamed much. How concerned are you about Nintendo's ability to impact your business? You're seeing publishers like EA building studios specifically for the Wii; you're seeing publishers step up their support for the Wii; and while none of that seems to be coming at the expense of 360 or PS3--no-one's canceling for those platforms--people are saying, "Hey, we may have underestimated the Wii. We need to get behind it in a big way." You said $199 is the key price point--they're closer to that than anyone. So how much of a concern do you have about the impact that Nintendo can have on your business?
One thing I admire about Nintendo is that they recognize what they need to do to be successful as a company and they do it. They also say what they're going to do as a company and then they do it. There's no surprises, there's no backtracking, they deliver on what they need to do. They delivered good inventory and they delivered an innovative experience.

The jury is still out, N'Gai, as to whether that experience can carry that platform at a mass market level to as many homes as I they think they think they need to on a global basis. It's still--I think the Nintendo Wii experience is an innovative experience. I've said that since the first time I saw Iwata-san pull it out from under his podium at Tokyo Game Show three years ago. I played Wii and I enjoyed playing Wii. The question is, is it a sustainable experience that will continue to have great third party support? Because, yeah, third parties are getting behind it, but I'm not sure the numbers bear out that it's going to be something all third party publishers can drive big numbers at.

As I think you know, Nintendo is a very first party-focused, and the numbers bear that out as regards what Zelda has sold versus anything else. I'm not seeing huge third party successes on the Wii right now, and that might improve as the installed base improves. But I will, as I've gone down on record many times, applaud their innovation, applaud their launch--I think they did a very, very solid job in getting the product out there and appealing in particular to some of their marketing efforts with broader demographics and what have you--I thought they did a great job there. The jury is still out, if we sit here a year or two years from now, as to whether that is sustainable at the levels that we need it to be as an industry to get to that mass market level.

When you look at the success of the DS, which has the same characteristics that you would point to: primarily driven by Nintendo's own software; hardware sales through the roof; third parties not doing terribly great, not doing horrible--there's a couple doing well--but hardware sales are through the roof. So what is it about the Wii that would make you feel it might not be sustainable?

I think that Nintendo would say that the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 are serious competitors in the same space as the Wii. I don't know what really competes with the DS, because I don't believe the PSP truly competes; I don't think that Sony ever intended it to compete in that space. The portable space, it's very difficult for you to try to compare a portable experience at a price that's almost disposable income with a console experience that's a very important part of the way that entertainment is consumed in the living room. As a result, the DS is doing incredibly well because of the uniqueness of its experience, but at the same time, it doesn't really have a competitor in the same space that is offering an alternative experience. Because the PSP is not proving, as you point out, to be a viable competitor in the portable handheld space.

So all I'm saying is that the jury is still out; I'm not saying that the Wii is going to taper off in 2007. The jury's out. As is the jury out on this salad. I keep nibbling and going nowhere. You make me feel bad that you're not eating that burger.

He trips over himself to talk about the PSP and salad. Sounds like Peter should stay off the message boards. Spouting crap and can't back it up.

Then to start another line of questioning, he kinda just digs into him and prevents BS from popping up. http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/05/16/the-peter-moore-interview-part-ii.aspx

On to where things are at today. A lot of the executives at Microsoft, yourself included, in the run-up to the release of the Xbox 360 spoke a lot about the importance of being the first to ten million units; that the first to ten million wins. Effectively, that's a statement of unassailability. PS2 certainly got to ten million first and was definitely unassailable. But looking at the position right now, a) we know that it was unclear as to whether that meant ten million shipped or sold--

Right.
--but your position doesn't seem unassailable right now.

So, maybe no scoops but it takes a serious journalist to put the BS under a microscope. I'm finding myself checking in with N'Gai from time to time just to get a pretty good scope of the industry. It's good he has some standing, as he gets good interviews. It's also great he doesn't need to pander to publishers to get the latest screen shots or videos. He can start to dig into the real part of the industry.

skinnyrattler said:
I don't know about that. Maybe he doesn't get the scoop but he at least has some balls. No filler crap to appease the fans. Reading the Peter Moore interview, he pinned Moore down on some tough questions.

When Pete pulled the old 'Wii is gonna slow down' crap, he called him on it.
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/05/18/the-peter-moore-interview-part-iv.aspx

He trips over himself to talk about the PSP and salad. Sounds like Peter should stay off the message boards. Spouting crap and can't back it up.

Then to start another line of questioning, he kinda just digs into him and prevents BS from popping up. http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/05/16/the-peter-moore-interview-part-ii.aspx

So, maybe no scoops but it takes a serious journalist to put the BS under a microscope. I'm finding myself checking in with N'Gai from time to time just to get a pretty good scope of the industry. It's good he has some standing, as he gets good interviews. It's also great he doesn't need to pander to publishers to get the latest screen shots or videos. He can start to dig into the real part of the industry.

Don't get me wrong. I really do like N'Gai, but he's too friendly with the industry to be a serious journalist. That's a problem with the industry as a whole. The vast majority of the reporters/reviewers/journalists are just too damn friendly with their industry friends to truly be journalists or critics.

The only people who can truly dig into the industry are those who don't have a vested interest in the industry, just like the previously mentioned reporter who broke the Ion Storm story. Could you actually see that coming from 1UP, much less Gamespot or IGN?

For instance, why haven't we seen a decent story about the fall of Sigil from the big boys?
It's either lazy reporting (fairly likely), or a case of not wanting to piss off Sony (much more likely). Either way, it's ****ing ridiculous.

dammitmattt said:
Don't get me wrong. I really do like N'Gai, but he's too friendly with the industry to be a serious journalist. That's a problem with the industry as a whole. The vast majority of the reporters/reviewers/journalists are just too damn friendly with their industry friends to truly be journalists or critics.

I don't know, the 1Up Yours guys aka Garnett came down pretty hard on FASA and that other dev studio rep when they had them on.

BrodiemanTTR said:
I don't know, the 1Up Yours guys aka Garnett came down pretty hard on FASA and that other dev studio rep when they had them on.

They did, but it was more of a friendly, gentle ribbing where at the end of the day they are still hanging out and having a beer together. Like I said, 1UP tries much harder than Gamespot or IGN, but that's not saying a whole lot. And I'm a 1UP Network fan.

There needs to be more antagonism and less of a symbiotic relationship in order for "video game journalism" to progress. The only place where we see any dirt dug up is on blogs and mainstream papers that have no vested interest in the industry.

I laugh at the members who bitch about PS3 being trolled when there's tons more trolling going on at the Wii forums - especially considering that there's little to troll the Wii with.

dammitmattt said:

Happens to have street cred? I thought you had to earn it? Something change?

FlightOfHeaven said:

Yeees?

:>

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74005

I got b& for trolling PS threads (although I DID say that the PSP and PS2 were excellent consoles and that the PSP was just unsuccessful), and I got bitched at by "mickice" for trolling PS threads, who apparently immediately afterwards goes off to the Wii forum to tell people about how he's got all the great games and never plays the console.

FunkyMunkey said:
Happens to have street cred? I thought you had to earn it? Something change?

Semantics. NeoGAF = the gaming "street." There is no arguing that he has cred with this forum and with the enthusiast press.

dammitmattt said:

Personally I think he's overrated but it's not hard when you compare him to all the other people who write about games. This last conversation about the numbers sounded all the same to me - and too much of it. Seriously, if you need three pages of email to make your point (when you are most likely preaching to the choir), I think you just like hearing yourself talk.

Also, if you removed the "to" and "from", I would never be able to tell who was who. You know that any real conversation has jokes and some points where articulation slips down the drain. It makes it real.

And as silly as it sounds, I would rather come to GAF and read the forums for that exact reason.

Eteric Rice said:
Their brains am rotting.

From what I hear, Nintendo reads Neogaf.

Yes, I'm dead serious.

I remember reading about a Nintendo employee on the Something Awful forums about Nintendo/Nintendo staff reading Neogaf. But I'm not too clear on it, might have just been "message boards in general". They particularly hate the nickname "Ninty", IIRC.

Eteric Rice

titiklabingapat said:
I remember reading about a Nintendo employee on the Something Awful forums about Nintendo/Nintendo staff reading Neogaf. But I'm not too clear on it, might have just been "message boards in general". They particularly hate the nickname "Ninty", IIRC.

Yup, but he said "neogaf." :p

I remember, because I was like, "OMG THEY'RE WATCHING US!" etc.

The companies watch, believe me. They have to know what's going on. The shift is happening, they need to get ready.

This is when everything changes. (Yes, I stole that from Torchwood.)

Jokeropia

Saint Gregory said:
I've asked this question serveral times in different threads and never got an answer. Is there any historical reference for a console selling at the rate the Wii is suddenly falling off the map in a couple years the way people are still predicting?
Nope, it has never happened.

GhaleonEB

Is there precedent for a console selling at PS3 levels and then taking off to become dominant? I realize the DS had a few bad months but overall I don't think the two situations are comparable.

Random data point: in April 2002, the Gamecube sold 82k units, the Xbox 78k.

Eteric Rice

GhaleonEB said:
Is there precedent for a console selling at PS3 levels and then taking off to become dominant? I realize the DS had a few bad months but overall I don't think the two situations are comparable.

Random data point: in April 2002, the Gamecube sold 82k units, the Xbox 78k.

Not that I know of.

I think the DS and PSP remained even for quite a while before the DS took off. The Wii and PS3 are no where near even at this point.

andthebeatgoeson

dammitmattt said:
They did, but it was more of a friendly, gentle ribbing where at the end of the day they are still hanging out and having a beer together. Like I said, 1UP tries much harder than Gamespot or IGN, but that's not saying a whole lot. And I'm a 1UP Network fan.

There needs to be more antagonism and less of a symbiotic relationship in order for "video game journalism" to progress. The only place where we see any dirt dug up is on blogs and mainstream papers that have no vested interest in the industry.
Yeah, you're right. I just rather have N'Gai than the usual website managers who are really just overrated fanboys.

ITA84

titiklabingapat said:

Any Nintendo fan dislikes that nickname. Or is it just me? :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ITA84 said:
Any Nintendo fan dislikes that nickname. Or is it just me? :)
I'm a Nintendo fanboy who doesn't care about SSB, FE, and a lot of other series and I like the term Ninty. I'm an enigma.

N'gai Croal is on a short list of the best gaming journalists out there. It's truly sad that the gaming populace lauds loudmouths like Luke Smith over him just because they play lip service to NeoGAF.

Parl

DeaconKnowledge said:
N'gai Croal is on a short list of the best gaming journalists out there. It's truly sad that the gaming populace lauds loudmouths like Luke Smith over him just because they play lip service to NeoGAF.

What's so good about Luke Smith, btw? Don't get me wrong, I ain't dissing him, but that's only because I know little about his reputation and his qualities.

Parl said:
What's so good about Luke Smith, btw? Don't get me wrong, I ain't dissing him, but that's only because I know little about his reputation and his qualities.

People mostly like him because he's funny and gives it to you straight. I don't think he's a fantastic journalist, but he made the 1up yours podcast a must-listen event every week.

Parl

Gekkonidae said:
People mostly like him because he's funny and gives it to you straight. I don't think he's a fantastic journalist, but he made the 1up yours podcast a must-listen event every week.

So out of the very few gaming journalists who we get to hear, he's one of the best... at making people laugh, keeping things interesting and giving it to you straight.

Other industries or more professional journalism puts Luke Smith to shame on journalistic talent and results.

DeaconKnowledge said:

It was more that he had a personality that was memorable and...kinda likeable, I guess.

Lo-Volt

Parl said:

Well, what's so good about the New York Post?

I think the trick to Luke Smith and 1UP in general is the personality it shows, much like a tabloid newspaper worth its weight would be showing through its readers in its news section as much as in its editorials. Maybe the reading level is lower than that of the New York Times, and I don't think we would expect 1UP (or the New York Post or Newsday, to keep up with the analogy) to have an investigative unit or investigative bias to their writing or features (although there is Q-Mann that is supposed to have a fair track record for what it reports coming to pass). And I think it shows when we can compare the very intrrospective work of someone like N'Gai Croal, who works under the brand of a newsmagazine expected to do journalistic heavy lifting in its more mainstream subjects for sure, to the enthusiast streak of groups like 1UP.

The little I remember the 1UP Yours hosts saying about their histories suggests that many of them were involved in fields other than journalism (or other fields and majors that rely on writing, like some strands of political science, history, sociology), and I would be curious if 1UP has the same expectations about sources, writing style or academic (or experience) background that a "real" organization like Newsweek would demand of either someone writing for a magazine article or a blog, never mind the Times or the BBC.

1UP discusses amusing or interesting subjects in ways that bring a specific identity to their writers and editors, and they end up saying things in refreshing ways, all while they can get people interested in video gaming to identify with them and their niche, and that's why I like them and their editors/personalities (that's what they are, whether they protest or not).

D.Lo

Parl said:
So out of the very few gaming journalists who we get to hear, he's one of the best... at making people laugh, keeping things interesting and giving it to you straight out of the Microsoft PR book
Fixed that for ya.

You could claim he was amusing (in a 'frat boy who's slightly less nerdy then the other nerds around him' kinda way). You could claim he 'mixed things up'. But the guy was one of the most partisan commentators on a major games site.

d[-_-]b

Banned
D.Lo said:
Fixed that for ya.

You could claim he was amusing (in a 'frat boy who's slightly less nerdy then the other nerds around him' kinda way). You could claim he 'mixed things up'. But the guy was one of the most partisan commentators on a major games site.
aww D.Lo is banned, another bit the dust.

Top Bottom