• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

bc226

Well if the SDF does come to gaf i just hope they bring a list of all the lies about the PS3 including the ones from Sony themselves.

GhaleonEB

bc226 said:
Well if the SDF does come to gaf i just hope they bring a list of all the lies about the PS3 including the ones from Sony themselves.
the whole "SDF" thing started as a joke on GAF, actually. A few Sony-die hards were tagged "sony defense force". It quickly (and sadly) took on a life of its own, with people taking it seriously. It became a rather divisive meme and is now pretty toxic to bring up.

I'd avise against tossing the whole SDF meme around any further. :p

Eteric Rice

Metalmurphy said:
Because Nintendo units don't break. EVER :eek:
Also your forgetting many of the replacements were done by Sony, and those don't count as extra sales.

Btw, i'm also on my first PS2 here, bought it in Nov 2001

Have you ever owned a Nintendo system?

They can take quite a beating. :lol

Threi

notag
Eteric Rice said:

They don't even get scratched...my SNES has been dropped countless times, and there isn't even a single ding on it :O

Ponn

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

Until Wii. Both of my friends Wii's had to be sent in for repair. One just stopped working and the others fell prey to that could not connect update.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Metalmurphy said:
So could the Xbox 1, mine felt down the stairs and still worked, yet i know people who had problems with it :p

I agree but the xbox has little hardware issues after taking a beating, nothing that requires a new purchase but the dvd skips in movies non stop since my new dropped it a few times, which is how i rember in a durability video it getting busted. At the very least we can agree it's nothing like sony hardware I'm glad I waited for the slimline as the early ps2 had a ton of issues in this area.

Link

The Autumn Wind
bc226 said:
Just for the heck of it how many here are on there first PS2 still?

Me i am on my 3rd. Why 3rd simple games, and i am one of those that thinks this time around Sony would rather win the format war then the console war.
*raises hand*

Got mine in March 2001 when ZOE came out. Still working fine and I've never had any problems with it.

If you honestly believe that 1/3 to 1/2 of all PS2's sold have been to replace broken units, you're just as delusional as the guys at that other forum.

Parl

Link said:
*raises hand*

Got mine in March 2001 when ZOE came out. Still working fine and I've never had any problems with it.

If you honestly believe that 1/3 to 1/2 of all PS2's sold have been to replace broken units, you're just as delusional as the guys at that other forum.

It's more like 10-15%, isn't it?

What's the Media Create + NPD NA PS2 LTD? And what's Sony's PS2 shipments to Japan and NA? Taking into account a few million that are in retailer channels/shelves, the remaining can be estimate of the amount repaired, and we can have a good idea of the failure rate of PS2s.

Edit: Actually, I'd imagine many warranties have run out and PS2s have failed since then, so possibly more.

Eteric Rice

Ponn01 said:
Until Wii. Both of my friends Wii's had to be sent in for repair. One just stopped working and the others fell prey to that could not connect update.

Yeah, true. I think they've gotten most of those issues fixed, though.

Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't the Gamecube have a shock absorber in it?

Kuramu

Nintendos are Tonka tough. I had my DS fat with me while waiting for a table, and a co-worker asked me if i wasn't nervous about dropping it. I tossed it onto the ground from a standing position with no fear.

AniHawk

Fun fact: Between now and the end of June, the following systems will receive these amount of games (assuming nothing gets delayed):

PS3: 9
PSP: 11
PS2: 13
Wii: 17
360: 17

AniHawk said:
Fun fact: Between now and the end of June, the following systems will receive these amount of games (assuming nothing gets delayed):

Four more Wii games than PS2 games.

That means they can't all be ports.

Eteric Rice

AniHawk said:

Damn... Despite quality, it's amaazing how fast games are coming out.

Wii's Library is going to be huge.

ShockingAlberto said:
My DSLite broke just through normal use.

Call up Nintendo.

Parl

Yeah, maybe I'm just being delusional. Out of 71 NPD months, GBA has sold more 70 times, with PS3 only holding one win.

Trend Analysis:
Feb: GBA wins
March: GBA wins
April: GBA wins

Just like April, this trend shows there's a 100% chance of GBA winning in May.

Link said:
What happened, exactly?
Beats me. I picked up my DS and the right hinge just snapped when I opened it. It was perfectly fine the night before.

The rep on the phone told me that the right side is where all the weight of the screen rests, so if it starts cracking, the whole thing is going to come off. Nintendo does not "officially" recognize it as a problem on their end, though.

That said, it was nice of them to knock $55 off the bill (it's itemized as "Customer Good Will discount" on the invoice), but it's still pretty disappointing. I'm going to be treating my replacement DS with kid gloves from now on.

Eteric Rice

ShockingAlberto said:
Beats me. I picked up my DS and the right hinge just snapped when I opened it. It was perfectly fine the night before.

The rep on the phone told me that the right side is where all the weight of the screen rests, so if it starts cracking, the whole thing is going to come off. Nintendo does not "officially" recognize it as a problem on their end, though.

That said, it was nice of them to knock $55 off the bill (it's itemized as "Customer Good Will discount" on the invoice), but it's still pretty disappointing. I'm going to be treating my replacement DS with kid gloves from now on.

Was it an older DS Lite?

Those had a problem I believe.

Parl

Eteric Rice said:
But wouldn't the PSP ports also be PS2 ports?

Or something.

Oh God, confused. :(

Well, Wii wouldn't have any games if it wasn't for PSP and PS2 ports, and PSP wouldn't have any games if it wasn't for PS2 ports, so a bit if simple and sound logic dictates that once PS2 software stops being made, Wii is doomed.

Eteric Rice said:
Was it an older DS Lite?

Those had a problem I believe.
Navy Blue from the Japanese launch. I had heard about the problems with the cracks on the American white DSes which, ironically, I gloated about because I had an import and thus didn't effect me. :x

Satter

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
So could the Xbox 1, mine felt down the stairs and still worked, yet i know people who had problems with it :p

I went through 2 xboxes in one year. Its predecer (sp) seems to be carrying on the legacy of non-quality nicey. <_<

Eteric Rice

Parl said:
Well, Wii wouldn't have any games if it wasn't for PSP and PS2 ports, and PSP wouldn't have any games if it wasn't for PS2 ports, so a bit if simple and sound logic dictates that once PS2 software stops being made, Wii is doomed.

Or they simply move development to the Wii, as it IS selling a lot.

Anyway, I came here to ask. What is the Wii's tie in ratio?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
Navy Blue from the Japanese launch. I had heard about the problems with the cracks on the American white DSes which, ironically, I gloated about because I had an import and thus didn't effect me. :x
Well there's your problem...

Kafel

Banned
Parl said:

And without the X360 ports, the PS3 would be already doomed.

I think both Nintendo and Sony are happy the PS2 still exists, for the transition.

StevieP

Banned
Well there's your problem...

Yep... little brother's lite got a hinge crack, sent it to Nintendo, got a new DS like 4 days later, no cost.

Eteric Rice said:
Or they simply move development to the Wii, as it IS selling a lot.

Anyway, I came here to ask. What is the Wii's tie in ratio?

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.
doomed.jpg

Xavien

Eteric Rice said:

Indeed, a gamecube can be dragged by a car along the road for a mile and still work afterwards, that thing is nearly indestructible.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Xavien said:
Indeed, a gamecube can be dragged by a car along the road for a mile and still work afterwards, that thing is nearly indestructible.
Yet it has trouble booting up my copy of Jungle Beat...:(

Parl said:
What's the Media Create + NPD NA PS2 LTD? And what's Sony's PS2 shipments to Japan and NA? Taking into account a few million that are in retailer channels/shelves, the remaining can be estimate of the amount repaired, and we can have a good idea of the failure rate of PS2s.

Edit: Actually, I'd imagine many warranties have run out and PS2s have failed since then, so possibly more.

20,489,877 (m-c) + 37,868,000 (NPD) = 58,358,000

25.42m: Asia + 47.68m: N. America = 73.10m (3/07) ship...er, produced :D

StevieP

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Sledge hammer finished it. But then again, sludge hammer will finish just about anything. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVRJtqPRZhQ

This one was pretty impressive as well (the thing was in tatters). I wish I could find the one where they dropped all the consoles off like 10 story buildings. The Cube was a tank. The Wii LOOKS more fragile, but that could be because of the shiny plastic they used this time around :lol

seat

AniHawk said:

PS Brand: 33

Sony leads again with the Playstation brand!
Fixed for PR spin.

Totalriot

So I came back home from an extended weekend trip to Amsterdam (beautiful city, btw) and read through the first 9 pages. It has not been as epic as I would have expected, especially as most of the pics don't work any more. Did I miss anything on the following 46 pages?

StevieP

Banned
Totalriot said:
So I came back home from an extended weekend trip to Amsterdam (beautiful city, btw) and read through the first 9 pages. It has not been as epic as I would have expected, especially as most of the pics don't work any more. Did I miss anything on the following 46 pages?

Oh yeah, there were some pretty good meltdowns. If you have the time, read through the thread :D

I absolutely believe in Nintendo's quality. I have never had any issues with the console.

Well, the GC did give me some trouble, but I suspect I messed up the ports due to my stupidity. :x

Pope Benedict XVI said:
I don't think it has to do with any particular games, or sony's first-party teams. It's just that a lot of people have grown up with Playstation and human beings have a natural tribal instinct.

You have a point there, as do others that point out Sony's strengthening first party. Thinking about it myself, I guess there's also something to be said for a company's approach to hardware, especially in this gen. The Sony faithful probably like how PS3 keeps things traditional and truly like what Blu-Ray and Cell offer to videogames, and are willing to pay the amount Sony's asking for. Good for them, I guess.

Top Bottom