• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

Zachack said:
You can say it but I've seen no stong proof of it. There is evidence that Gamestop promotes the sale of certain new titles via used game trade-in but not all titles are included in that type of promotion, while at the same time there is a permanent promotion of trading in used titles for the purpose of buying used titles. There's just as much to indicate that Gamestop sells the amount of new titles they do in spite of their used game trade-ins, and that their new title sales come from their aggressive pre-order promoting, videogame focal-point nature, and number of locations.

Gamestop by far tends to sell used games at approximately $5 less than new. It's only after a game has dropped in MSRP one or two times that the used/new price difference really starts to manifest, or on old games that no longer have a new presence (or have hardlocked at $20).

If you're a price-sensitive shopper you should be buying things on Amazon.

You've missed the point. Neither Amazon, nor any other retailer, gives you credit for your old games. That's why Gamestop does the volume of business that they do. You say there's no evidence of this, but that's obtuse. The evidence is clear: they're the market leader. Given what an awful place to shop Gamestop is, what's your theory on why they're #1 and, more specifically, how they got there? Sure, they have a lot of locations, but that's a result of their success, not the cause of it.

edit: thanks for the help, charlequin.

donny2112

Leondexter said:
Neither Amazon, nor any other retailer, gives you credit for your old games.

Eh? Amazon does exactly that and other retailers are starting down that road, including Wal-Mart. Pachter has even theorized that Amazon will eventually be more appealing for those trading in their games as they get older, since the credit can be used for anything on Amazon and not just games.

donny2112 said:
Eh? Amazon does exactly that and other retailers are starting down that road, including Wal-Mart. Pachter has even theorized that Amazon will eventually be more appealing for those trading in their games as they get older, since the credit can be used for anything on Amazon and not just games.

Sorry, my bad, of course they do, just not at a physical location. And actually, Wal-Mart has apparently abandoned that project.

Leondexter said:
Neither Amazon, nor any other retailer, gives you credit for your old games.

You make WAYYYY more money selling things at Amazon than at Gamestop.

DMeisterJ said:
Using Amazon? :/

Amazon is THE way to go when buying and selling games period.

I've saved and made a bundle on that site.

donny2112

Aaron Strife said:
That's not amazon sales ranks, that's amazon's twitter. There's a difference.

Yes, it's Amazon saying that it's selling well for them. Sort of like a Comgnet weekly ranking in Japan. Not extractable onto the full market, but it's still a data point.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Flying_Phoenix said:
Amazon is THE way to go when buying and selling games period.

I've saved and made a bundle on that site.
It would be for me... if they didn't forced the most expensive shipping option as the only option for my country :(

jcm

Leondexter said:
Excellent. It's a model that fills a niche created by this industry's poor business practices. The more widespread it becomes, the better chance that the industry will address it with a consumer-friendly solution, rather than continous moaning or strong-arm internet-based tactics that aren't yet illegal.

I don't understand what you're talking about. Is it still day one free DLC for new games? You think that should be illegal?

Zachack

Stumpokapow said:
If you're a price-sensitive shopper, you should be using eBay, pawn shops, and used sections of rental stores.
Well, rental stores are approaching a vanishing point in the US and pawn shops, at least in my experience, are actually a terrible deal for pretty much everything: they basically prey on those too dumb to use craigslist. Amazon (and the Amazon Marketplace) are pretty close to as good as it gets without significant time costs.
Charlequin said:
Gamestop's entire scheme is built around funnelling trade-ins back into the system via offering greater trade-in values for specific big-game pre-orders, a system that guarantees that everyone who takes advantage of it is doing so in order to fund new game purchases. These deals are offered for every major title.
This is not entirely true; usually only the most major of major titles are given any sort of useful promotion.
You can also only actually get a significant trade-in value back if you're trading titles that are recent and in relatively high demand -- which means you need to be buying them new and trading them in fairly quickly, in most cases.
This is true (and where the monopoly force has become a severe negative, going by the trade-in value lists I've seen). However, this caters heavily to a market segment that Leondexter was not arguing for.

The entire system is designed from top to bottom to get one class of customer to come back and buy brand-new copies of every big game on day one and trade it in for the next one, so that they can resell it at 75% the original price to a second class of customer. The model has to include an element to drive new sales because GS' used business isn't worth much to them without copies of relatively recent titles, and it can't get those without customers who are regularly buying those titles at their store and then quickly selling them back.
You're not really disagreeing with me, though. Leondexter continues to argue that Gamestop's setup is beneficial to publishers because it generally promotes the sale of new titles. I disagree, and say that Gamestop's setup promotes the sale of new titles only because it has to, and actively discourages the sale of new titles to anyone falling outside of the first class of customer (which you agree with). If Gamestop could figure out a way to get a large amount of used copies of recent titles without having to sell new copies, they would, since the margin on used copies is massively greater than that of new titles (particularly day-1 sales).
leondexter said:
The evidence is clear: they're the market leader. Given what an awful place to shop Gamestop is, what's your theory on why they're #1 and, more specifically, how they got there? Sure, they have a lot of locations, but that's a result of their success, not the cause of it.
They have a lot of locations because they merged multiple companies (Gamestop, Funcoland, Electronics Boutique/EBgames, Software Etc, and I think Game X, which were in some way or another different companies at some point) into a single company. The elimination of most competition allowed them to become non-competitive with regards to trade-in values and used pricing, which is why most used titles are $5 below MSRP and trade-in for anything more than a month old or ridiculously popular is at best $20, and that's a short list.

Dave Long

Banned
Zachack said:
They have a lot of locations because they merged multiple companies (Gamestop, Funcoland, Electronics Boutique/EBgames, Software Etc, and I think Game X, which were in some way or another different companies at some point) into a single company. The elimination of most competition allowed them to become non-competitive with regards to trade-in values and used pricing, which is why most used titles are $5 below MSRP and trade-in for anything more than a month old or ridiculously popular is at best $20, and that's a short list.
This is pure bullshit. Since the very beginning of the trade-in program at Electronics Boutique, the one the current Gamestop system is patterned after, they sold the games for $5 off the new price. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS.

I know. I was there the very first day they accepted trade-ins at Electronics Boutique. It occurred at their warehouse sale in West Chester, PA in 1993.

Zachack said:
Leondexter continues to argue that Gamestop's setup is beneficial to publishers because it generally promotes the sale of new titles. I disagree, and say that Gamestop's setup promotes the sale of new titles only because it has to, and actively discourages the sale of new titles to anyone falling outside of the first class of customer (which you agree with). If Gamestop could figure out a way to get a large amount of used copies of recent titles without having to sell new copies, they would, since the margin on used copies is massively greater than that of new titles (particularly day-1 sales).

That's easily disproved by the simple fact that Gamestop carries new copies of games months after their launch. Of course they prefer to sell used, but they wouldn't be moving the volume of new games that they do if they were selling the bare minimum possible.

You sound like a disgruntled publisher with your views. One of them once said "Gamestop would ideally like to sell only 1 new copy of our game, and then sell it again and again." That's nonsense. Gamestop wants to sell millions of new copies as fast as possible, and then sell used copies after that, of course. I don't see how you can blame them for wanting the subsequent sales, which is what allows them to stay in business, after all, especially after they've sold the lion's share of the new product.

Your hypothetical "other method" of getting used titles would be counter-productive, because they count on the used copies coming in also generating additional sales as the people trading in also make purchases. You continue to misunderstand, or just dismiss, the structure of this system, no matter how many times it's pointed out to you.

Zachack said:

Firstly, that's hardly a counter-argument to their success when all those businesses were using the same trade-in model, and secondly, there was just as much expansion going on as acquisition, if not more. Here in Las Vegas, for example, I believe they acquired 5 or 6 locations and opened 16 new ones. I expect that's more skewed to new stores than in the Eastern US, though, where those other chains were more prevalent.

Zachack said:
You're not really disagreeing with me, though. Leondexter continues to argue that Gamestop's setup is beneficial to publishers because it generally promotes the sale of new titles. I disagree, and say that Gamestop's setup promotes the sale of new titles only because it has to, and actively discourages the sale of new titles to anyone falling outside of the first class of customer (which you agree with).

Gamestop is like one of those shrimps that crawls into a fish's mouth, bites off its tongue, and replaces it with itself: you might be able to argue that the fish (game publishers) would be better off without the shrimp altogether, but now it's too late; they've formed a parasitic-symiotic relationship, and getting rid of the shrimp (Gamestop) now would just leave the fish without a tongue.

(Of course, the difference is that in this case, the publishers had been waving their tongue around all over the place for a while; they were just waiting for someone to bite it off and replace it.)

If Gamestop could figure out a way to get a large amount of used copies of recent titles without having to sell new copies, they would

Well, sure. If they could figure out how to charge $100 for used games they'd do that too. There's very little risk of either thing happening, though.

Dave Long said:
This is pure bullshit. Since the very beginning of the trade-in program at Electronics Boutique, the one the current Gamestop system is patterned after, they sold the games for $5 off the new price. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS.

The top price for the newest and most desirable "used" titles is hardly the only relevant data point here, though. EB Games consistently had lower used prices on many non-top-tier titles, frequently higher trade-in values, and more frequent sales and promotions than the combined Gamestop entity does. The business model was the same, but the company implementing it has had more room to expand its margin without competitive pricing from equivalent chains.

Zachack

Dave Long said:
No, it hasn't. When there was competition between the entities there was a much greater spread in the middle, and trade-in values were certainly better on a wider range of titles.
charlequin said:
Gamestop is like one of those shrimps that crawls into a fish's mouth, bites off its tongue, and replaces it with itself: you might be able to argue that the fish (game publishers) would be better off without the shrimp altogether, but now it's too late; they've formed a parasitic-symiotic relationship, and getting rid of the shrimp (Gamestop) now would just leave the fish without a tongue.

(Of course, the difference is that in this case, the publishers had been waving their tongue around all over the place for a while; they were just waiting for someone to bite it off and replace it.)
While I somewhat agree with this, I'd point at PC-centric publishers, who have almost zero presence at Gamestop and no used presence whatsoever, as a counterpoint to it being too late to change. Unsurprisingly, PC games also tend to have a much more frequent and gradual price reduction basis than console games, thereby hitting every customer type at some point.
leondexter said:
That's easily disproved by the simple fact that Gamestop carries new copies of games months after their launch. Of course they prefer to sell used, but they wouldn't be moving the volume of new games that they do if they were selling the bare minimum possible.
Extra copies really only proves that Gamestop over-ordered a title and can't ship it back to the distro/pub. That said, since Gamestop wants to be perceived as "THE videogame store", then they're basically forced by marketing to carry titles that they may not have a used copy of. You're also mixing arguments by including volume, since Wal-mart moves a similar amount of volume without any trade-in necessary. Locations alone would ensure that the volume moved remained high.
You sound like a disgruntled publisher with your views. One of them once said "Gamestop would ideally like to sell only 1 new copy of our game, and then sell it again and again." That's nonsense. Gamestop wants to sell millions of new copies as fast as possible, and then sell used copies after that, of course. I don't see how you can blame them for wanting the subsequent sales, which is what allows them to stay in business, after all, especially after they've sold the lion's share of the new product.
No, what Gamestop wants is to sell as many new copies as necessary to ensure the maximum amount of used copies during the time frame when they can maximize profits from sales of used games. As charlequin said, it's parasitic and symbiotic. They don't want to sell one copy, but they also don't want to meet demand with new copies.
Your hypothetical "other method" of getting used titles would be counter-productive, because they count on the used copies coming in also generating additional sales as the people trading in also make purchases. You continue to misunderstand, or just dismiss, the structure of this system, no matter how many times it's pointed out to you.
No, you just grossly overstate it. What they really want customers to do is trade-in titles for credit and buy used titles with that credit, thereby maximizing their profit. Retail typically makes very little money on sales of "day-1" copies.
Firstly, that's hardly a counter-argument to their success when all those businesses were using the same trade-in model, and secondly, there was just as much expansion going on as acquisition, if not more. Here in Las Vegas, for example, I believe they acquired 5 or 6 locations and opened 16 new ones. I expect that's more skewed to new stores than in the Eastern US, though, where those other chains were more prevalent.
I really wouldn't use Las Vegas as an example of smart growth or good business policy. That said, once a retail store reaches a certain size it becomes very difficult to dislodge them from market dominance, and through mergers Gamestop managed to reach what could basically be considered Sales Endgame, since they're already established anywhere and everywhere a possible competitor could emerge.

Zachack said:
While I somewhat agree with this, I'd point at PC-centric publishers, who have almost zero presence at Gamestop and no used presence whatsoever, as a counterpoint to it being too late to change.

Fair. I would revise my point to "it requires a major change in business model." I am quite confident that if every Gamestop just stopped doing trade-ins tomorrow, you'd see every major publisher see a huge hit to their AAA title sales right away, and not much in the way of boosted B-list title sales to compensate. To really take advantage of a world where Gamestop isn't doing this, publishers need a different business model that isn't symbiotically tied to exactly what Gamestop is doing.

Zachack said:
Extra copies really only proves that Gamestop over-ordered a title and can't ship it back to the distro/pub. That said, since Gamestop wants to be perceived as "THE videogame store", then they're basically forced by marketing to carry titles that they may not have a used copy of. You're also mixing arguments by including volume, since Wal-mart moves a similar amount of volume without any trade-in necessary. Locations alone would ensure that the volume moved remained high.

You continue to present your arguments in reverse. I'm sure many companies worldwide would like to know your magic formula of "locations = success", rather than the reverse. In the videogame world, that logic might apply to Wal-Mart, since they had thousands of locations before selling videogames, but not to Gamestop, which only sells games. It's not the locations that ensure the volume, but the volume and business model that require the locations.

Zachack said:
No, you just grossly overstate it. What they really want customers to do is trade-in titles for credit and buy used titles with that credit, thereby maximizing their profit. Retail typically makes very little money on sales of "day-1" copies.

I know exactly what the margins are like; I work in retail and have been involved in electronics locations. You're wrong about what Gamestop "really wants". They want both, because the two feed off each other, as I've said ad nauseum. They know this, even if you don't.

I'll try one more angle before giving up, because I feel like I'm trying to explain the obvious to someone not willing to listen. If Gamestop truly saw new game sales as you think they do, why would they sell ANY new copies aside from pre-orders? Clearly, they like to maximize pre-orders and early sales, and minimize subsequent stock, but that's not specific to them, that's a necessity to survive at all in videogame retail. Margins are far too slim to eat any significant amount of unsold stock, or sell it at or below cost. But they continue to sell and re-order new copies of games, maintaining a balance between the two sides of their business. By your theories, that wouldn't make much sense.

Zachack said:
I really wouldn't use Las Vegas as an example of smart growth or good business policy. That said, once a retail store reaches a certain size it becomes very difficult to dislodge them from market dominance, and through mergers Gamestop managed to reach what could basically be considered Sales Endgame, since they're already established anywhere and everywhere a possible competitor could emerge.

Now you discount the fastest growing city in the nation, which has been for decades now-- as a bad example of smart growth? Wow.
And your theory on store size is dead in the water as well. Otherwise K-Mart would never have fallen to Wal-Mart, to name the biggest of the super-chains that have been laid low over the years. Nobody stays on top forever, and size is a very poor guarantee of success.

gkryhewy

From regularly visiting CAG, I know that gamestop suddenly started offering major, major discounts about a month ago, even on new titles. Sales could be hurting in a fairly significant way.

gkryhewy

Leondexter said:
Now you discount the fastest growing city in the nation, which has been for decades now-- as a bad example of smart growth? Wow.
:lol :lol

Yes? Las Vegas has obviously grown, but it's the poster child for dumb growth. No consideration for water availability, no consideration for transportation efficiencies, just endless, dumb, disposable sprawl that will turn to dust if the southwest ever has a meaningful energy or water crisis.

Is this the NPD thread? WTF?

jvm

Gamasutra.
jvm said:
Last year's estimate was 25% each for Wal-mart and GameStop. Comments since then suggested that Wal-mart and other big-box retailers gained share of hardware but GameStop gained share for software, especially core (whatever) software. (Source: Wedbush)
Bad etiquette to follow up my own post, sorry.

Since we were discussing GameStop in this thread, I figured I'd add this. The latest GameStop results are in and here's what Leigh Alexander at Gamasutra (disclaimer: see my tag) wrote in the news item about it:
Says Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian: "Despite recent negative trends in NPD data, GameStop is still taking share, as the packaged goods segment of video games is somewhat more concentrated among core gamers."

The analyst notes that GameStop's new software growth of 13 percent handily beats NPD's 7 percent decline between February and April -- "suggesting that GameStop’s core consumer base remains loyal and active despite increasing overtures from big box and online retailers."
My emphasis.

So GameStop's share probably grew so far this year. It will be interesting to see where Mr. Pachter pegs it when he does his estimates later this summer. (For what it's worth, my own estimate from the public data, excluding accessories, was 22% for Feb 2009 - Jan 2010, up slightly from the previous 12 months.)

gkryhewy said:
:lol :lol

Yes? Las Vegas has obviously grown, but it's the poster child for dumb growth. No consideration for water availability, no consideration for transportation efficiencies, just endless, dumb, disposable sprawl that will turn to dust if the southwest ever has a meaningful energy or water crisis.

Is this the NPD thread? WTF?

The topic at hand is economic and business growth, specifically Gamestop's, which is completely relevant to the NPD thread, and perfectly logical and sound when growing to meet the demand of a large and steadily increasing population, just like the rest of Las Vegas' businesses. Why you chose to rant about water supply and traffic congestion is your own lookout.

donny2112

jvm said:
So GameStop's share probably grew so far this year.

The only numbers I was able to find on Wal-Mart were for the entire business. They don't seem to break down by segment (at least not to Electronics or sub to that) in their public reports. They did grow last year, though, and they said they gained marketshare in several areas. That does tend to support the idea that Wal-Mart has generally increased traffic during a time of recession, which does go along with the theory that they've gained a greater share of the mainstream consumer in general and probably gaming as along for the ride. It's likely the consumer to buy $20 and under games, but if we're looking at units, that does make a big difference. NPD does not have direct visibility into that. I wish they did (and that they released all their sales data publicly, but yeah, that's going to happen! :lol ).

kamspy said:
What is Halo 3's LTD NPD?

Last public number was 5.8m in Jan-09. Maybe ~6.5m by now, though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
donny2112 said:
The only numbers I was able to find on Wal-Mart were for the entire business. They don't seem to break down by segment (at least not to Electronics or sub to that) in their public reports.
Yep. I have looked a couple of times, and their segments are pretty opaque. :(

Seems like there was something else this past week that made me think "a-ha, that's a good sign that GameStop grew its share" but I can't remember what it is. Sorry. :(

Top Bottom