• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

BigDug13

Less than 100% more than the XB1 numbers isn't exactly something to brag about when XB1 numbers are shit. It's like bragging about beating the wii u.

And what are your expectations for April console sales based on historical trends during that particular month out the entire existence of gaming consoles?

Heard people murmuring about it being hard to locate on shelves due to the new Slim Vita release in May. Could be the reason for such bomba level of sales. Not that i expect any magical improvement in May.

Price cut for what?

XB1

I did everything bar play it twice, and I was under 12 hours easily. It's like a 4 to 5 hour game I bet, if you don't do the side stuff. Very light on content. Especially considering your just doing the same thing over and over again, in the side quest stuff

Oh wow....can't be that short.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's perfectly in line with what X360 has historically sold in April. Aquamarine's X360 history post

May with Watch Dogs should see an increase again for PS4.

It's not really that. More of the 3DS effect in Japan if it indeed ends up the only high selling console then that numbers not making up the shortfall left by the XB1 and Wii U.

Lets hope console sales in general pick up in the coming months.

And what are your expectations for April console sales based on historical trends during that particular month out the entire existence of gaming consoles?

See response above.

XB1

Oh wow....can't be that short.
Price cut for XB 1 at E3 is hard to say. I doubt it.

Yes, inFamous is a very short game. I was done with the Platinum in relatively short time, perhaps my fastest and most easiest platinum trophy ever. Other than the Photo mode, there wasn't much to do after getting everything.

9CtwJEZJ.jpeg

BigDug13

First April for 360 was almost 300k.

After more supply constrained months leading up to it than PS4 had. In other words, 360 was completely incapable of fulfilling demand due to extreme supply issues while PS4 was able to better satiate demand during the early months. PS4 has still sold more in this short a time period since launch than 360.

Jack cw

Less than 100% more than the XB1 numbers isn't exactly something to brag about when XB1 numbers are shit. It's like bragging about beating the wii u.

Nobody is bragging. Nearly 100% is an absolute number and 100k systems adding to that gap. And its bad for marketing and awareness if your competition outsells you in your stronghold by a 2:1 margin, regardless of the actual numbers. No need to downplay this. The other problem is, that PS4 sells very good in other territores as well with even higher margins. This isnt about bragging, this about rejection of consumers actually.

Yes, inFamous is a very short game. I was done with the Platinum in relatively short time, perhaps my fastest and most easiest platinum trophy ever. Other than the Photo mode, there wasn't much to do after getting everything.

No I meant the 399 kinectless SKU. I was referring to how it seems obvious it was held for an announcement at E3 but was instead announced early. That is the "price cut" even though it really isn't.

Disappointed to hear that about Infamous SS. I remember the first game lasting me 20 hours or so.

onanie

Selling twice your nearest competitor is uncommon and impressive, regardless of the month being slow sales period. It attests to the relative popularity of your product.

First April for 360 was almost 300k.

Aaand that was the highest April for 360 (with no competition). Again 200k is good considering the 360 had 4-5 Aprils sub 200k.

360:

April 2006 - 295K

April 2007 - 174K

April 2008 - 188K

April 2009 - 175K

April 2010 - 185K

April 2011 - 297K

April 2012 - 236K

April 2013 - 130K

Xbox One:

April 2014 - 115K

Xbox 360 has never managed such a low number for April.

E3 would be too early as they wouldn't have time to observe results of kinectless SKU.

But I'll be very suprised if we don't see price drop before Christmas.

300$ without kinect, 400$ with is what Xbone should cost if they are serious about competing for first place.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nobody is bragging. Nearly 100% is an absolute number and 100k systems adding to that gap. And its bad for marketing and awareness if your competition outsells you in your stronghold by a 2:1 margin, regardless of the actual numbers. No need to downplay this. The other problem is, that PS4 sells very good in other territores as well with even higher margins. This isnt about bragging, this about rejection of consumers actually.

No ones downplaying this. They're looking at the bigger picture. If the PS4 ends up the only healthy console and sells at the normal rate of a single last gen console, the industry's going to experience a further significant contraction.

See 3DS. It kicked the Vita's ass all the way to china town but things aren't rosy for it because that industry is experiencing a massive contraction. Simply beating your direct opponent isn't everything.

I went back a page. How far back am I supposed to skim to try to find your numerical expectation values?

My expectation was for the PS4 to make up for the abysmal sales of the XB1 during the month. 199k while definitely in line with high popular last gen consoles really does not do that. Why I have that expectation or rather hope is so we don't see a significant contraction where the PS4 sells on par with the 360 and everything else sells comparatively like crap (which means a large market contraction..

From what I see the highest April NPD ever was the for the DS 2009 (1.04m units). For consoles its the Wii 2008 (714k).

2008-2009 Wii/DS sales were something else. They used to sell 600-700K in regular months like this.

Kinan

So will we get sub-100k Xbox One in May due to people waiting for the June's price cut?

Its a real possibility, imho.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So will we get sub-100k Xbox One in May due to people waiting for the June's price cut?

Probably Wii U may actually manage to cross streams. It'll be funny if for the short while Wii U outsells PS4 in Japan and outsells XB1 in the US.

Actually I take that back it would be damn sad...

Raide

I am not sure. That depends if retailers start to do some good bundles/price drops in order to clear stock. A few slow months is fine if MS can make it all up later in the year by showing amazing games.

Probably Wii U may actually manage to cross streams. It'll be funny if for the short while Wii U outsells PS4 in Japan and outsells XB1 in the US.

I think that would be more likely if Mario Kart 8 came out a bit earlier in May. Either way if the Wii U started outselling the Xbone in the US and the PS4 in Japan, even if it was only a couple thousand units, the meltdowns would be hilarious.

Vylsith

Banned

Historically it's pretty good numbers for April. Maybe you have your expectations set a bit too high? Not sure what you're expecting. 200k is good for April in the US.

One would expect that the launch of one of WiiU's biggest exclusives will muster up enough excitement and sales to do more than 100k in NPD and 10k in media create. More like if it didn't it would be extremely sad.

What's even the point of that statement?
Something about something is gonna happen at somepoint at E3.

Get people excited??

LOCK

Yeah I expect the weekly average of the XB1 to steadily decline till June 9th. While the opposite should be true for the Wii U.

May could look like this:
PS4 ~200k
Wii U ~100k
XB1 ~75k

Would be great for the thread reactions alone. June will be the real fun one though.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What's even the point of that statement?
Something about something is gonna happen at somepoint at E3.
Something something is going to happen at E3 and I know about it and after it's announced I will tell you that I knew about, which is then used as evidence that I know insider stuff.

Eusis

From what I see the highest April NPD ever was the for the DS 2009 (1.04m units). For consoles its the Wii 2008 (714k).

2008-2009 Wii/DS sales were something else. They used to sell 600-700K in regular months like this.
Man, makes me want to see what kind of numbers the PS2 used to do. If they can be dug up anyway.

I think that makes me somewhat dismayed, though I guess a lot of people bought Wiis to play Wii Sports and a few other casual games, and not much else. Would be easier to feel better about the industry if SOMETHING had pulled those numbers (well, other than a DRM'd up XB1 anyway.)

I am not sure. That depends if retailers start to do some good bundles/price drops in order to clear stock. A few slow months is fine if MS can make it all up later in the year by showing amazing games.

It seems like they would have to. They can maintain some stock-on-hand of the $499 SKU, but they're going to have to make room for the $399 SKU next month, and it's patently obvious at this point that those consoles aren't going to sell themselves.

Comparing their shipped numbers to their estimated sold-through still leaves just far too many unsold units in retail channels for them to be able to push stock of the $399 units without doing something to clear out inventory of the existing SKU's over-stock.

It's perfectly in line with what X360 has historically sold in April. Aquamarine's X360 history post

May with Watch Dogs should see an increase again for PS4.

Yeah, I was just going to say that. April 2006 was the anomaly largely because the 360 was even more supply constrained than PS4 at launch. It hadn't sold as many, of course, but Microsoft's production line was horrendous for the first few months of that console.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
One would expect that the launch of one of WiiU's biggest exclusives will muster up enough excitement and sales to do more than 100k in NPD and 10k in media create. More like if it didn't it would be extremely sad.

Get people excited??
However the fact remains that the PS4 somehow by the shear degree of it's bombing doing is worse than it in Japan launch alligned and XB1 low sales in the US speak more negatively about the state of those consoles than the opposite. Everyone knows the wii u is dead. It's like if for whatever reason you get outsold by the Vita.

Then you know things are bad.

Skeff

Yeah I expect the weekly average of the XB1 to steadily decline till June 9th. While the opposite should be true for the Wii U.

May could look like this:
PS4 ~200k
Wii U ~100k
XB1 ~75k

Would be great for the thread reactions alone. June will be the real fun one though.

Could do, though I think PS4 will get a bit larger number thanks to Watchdogs marketing.

It'll still be hilarious though. :p

I think that would be more likely if Mario Kart 8 came out a bit earlier in May. Either way if the Wii U started outselling the Xbone in the US and the PS4 in Japan, even if it was only a couple thousand units, the meltdowns would be hilarious.

Nah, the Meltdowns would be better if Mario Kart miraculously brought the WiiU back to life single handily Brain Age/Nintendogs style.
"B-b-but last gen! No games! PLEASE UNDERSTAND!"

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Man, makes me want to see what kind of numbers the PS2 used to do. If they can be dug up anyway.

April 2001 - 329,000
April 2002 - 205,000 (May 2002 was the 299$ -> 199$ price drop month)
April 2003 - 264,000 (May 2003 was the 199$ -> 179$ price drop month)
April 2004 - 189,000 (May 2004 was the 179$ -> 149$ price drop month)
April 2005 - 332,000
April 2006 - 207,000 (the 149$ -> 129$ price drop month)
April 2007 - 194,000
April 2008 - 124,000
April 2009 - 172,000 (March 2009 was the 129$ -> 99$ price drop month)

Taken from the Archive of an Italian forum. They should be accurate.

Raide

It seems like they would have to. They can maintain some stock-on-hand of the $499 SKU, but they're going to have to make room for the $399 SKU next month, and it's patently obvious at this point that those consoles aren't going to sell themselves.

Comparing their shipped numbers to their estimated sold-through still leaves just far too many unsold units in retail channels for them to be able to push stock of the $399 units without doing something to clear out inventory of the existing SKU's over-stock.

Agreed. I am hoping for some more aggressive UK sales but I don't see it happening.

At least the PS4 doing good numbers is a good kick for MS to do something.

Vylsith

Banned
Aaand that was the highest April for 360 (with no competition). Again 200k is good considering the 360 had 4-5 Aprils sub 200k.

Not to mention that 2006 was before the global recession. Obviously comparing sales to a time when the economy was considered strong to the worst recession since the Great Depression isn't a very valid comparison. The economy is getting better every year. I'm sure sales will increase as the economy increases.

nib95

Banned
Yes I was also inboxed top secret info. Can't wait to share what that info was that I was just told about right after e3!

Snark aside there's no need to really speak about blatant bait, true or false

Hmm…just seems very un Cboat like. Going around PM'ing random GAF'ers insider titbits? I'm with FamousMort on this one, I can't see him doing that unless the implication and expectation is that some of the information will funnel through, or at the very least stir some forum excitement.

Not to mention that 2006 was before the global recession. Obviously comparing sales to a time when the economy was considered strong to the worst recession since the Great Depression isn't a very valid comparison. The economy is getting better every year. I'm sure sales will increase as the economy increases.

And as console prices drop. Hopefully Sony can do some yearly price drops like with the PS2, even if they are only 20-50 bucks.

Hmm…just seems very un Cboat like. Going around PM'ing random GAF'ers insider titbits? I'm with FamousMort on this one, I can't see him doing that unless the implication and expectation is that some of the information will funnel through, or at the very least stir some forum excitement.

StevieP was joking i think

Eusis

April 2001 - 329,000
April 2002 - 205,000 (May 2002 was the 299$ -> 199$ price drop month)
April 2003 - 264,000 (May 2003 was the 199$ -> 179$ price drop month)
April 2004 - 189,000 (May 2004 was the 179$ -> 149$ price drop month)
April 2005 - 332,000
April 2006 - 207,000 (the 149$ -> 129$ price drop month)
April 2007 - 194,000
April 2008 - 124,000
April 2009 - 172,000 (March 2009 was the 129$ -> 99$ price drop month)

Taken from the Archive of an Italian forum. They should be accurate.
Hmm, guess that's just in line with the consoles that dominate the US, Wii surprise dominance aside anyway. Well, notably lower but that was without competition similar to 360, so it could be seen as taking a third of that number.

I guess this generation will probably stay the course, though as noted that probably isn't good with the numbers they want to push. Funnily enough had the Wii had a similar demographic WITH those sales that'd absolutely be the place to have put the AAA budget games and beena s viable if not moreso than ever.

Paganmoon

So crazy idea maybe, but obviously the price cut will affect the X1's numbers for May, but do you guys figure it might affect the PS4 numbers aswell? People on the fence, that will hold off on a PS4 purchase for an X1 instead?

Also, both numbers will probably also be affected by Watch_dogs launch (in a positive way), but probably not counter the loss in sales for the X1 because of the price drop?

Sid

No ones downplaying this. They're looking at the bigger picture. If the PS4 ends up the only healthy console and sells at the normal rate of a single last gen console, the industry's going to experience a further significant contraction.
As of now it's doing better than all last gen consoles right?

Top Bottom