• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

prag16

Banned
No, they haven't yet afaik.

The Wii should still hold an advantage of more than 150K.

Less than is not the same as equal to. So no, the 3DS and the Wii are not 115K and 35K respectively, they are simply less than those numbers. They could be 0 and 0 respectively.

:
We're sure it's less than 115k? Didn't MSFT claim they were #1 all last year when 3DS was beating 360?

I guarantee within the first 15 minutes of Sony's E3 conference, the PS3 will have a pricedrop and/or a new model.
Honestly have to agree. PS3 will probably aim 150 for 100 GB and 200 for 250 GB. Xbox 360 will probably get a price drop as well to 200. Really 250 seems steep for 9 year old tech.

Spiegel

So

Retail Software through March

PS4 - 6,780,300 (2.91 * 2.33)
XOne - 7,488,800 (2.53 * 2.96)

Retail Software through April

PS4 - 8,521,400 (3.11 * 2.74)
XOne - 7,920,000 (2.64 * 3.00)

That's 1.74M PS4 software sold at retail in April. There must be something wrong with the LTD ratio.

EDIT: that seems a massive rise in tie ratio for the month, especially considering the lack of releases.
We're sure it's less than 115k? Didn't MSFT claim they were #1 all last year when 3DS was beating 360?
Microsoft isn't claiming anything about their position.

Liam Callahan of NPD is the one saying it: “Sony’s PlayStation 4 was the No. 1 platform for hardware sales in April for the fourth month in a row, followed by Xbox One.”

Welfare

NPD Tie ratio comparisons:

Launch month:

XB1 tie ratio = 1.98
PS4 tie ratio = 1.89

Launch through January:

XB1 tie ratio = 2.71
PS4 tie ratio = 2.11

Launch through February:

XB1 tie ratio = 2.75
PS4 tie ratio = 2.18

Launch through March:

XB1 tie ratio = 2.96
PS4 tie ratio = 2.33

Launch through April:

XB1 tie ratio = 3.00
PS4 tie ratio = 2.74

PS4 tie ratio sure is moving up fast. Do Xbox fans buy more games than usual, or is the higher tie ratio just because it has sold less hardware?

jayu26

PS4 tie ratio sure is moving up fast. Do Xbox fans buy more games than usual, or is the higher tie ratio just because it has sold less hardware?

Xbone has more retail games out than PS4 (I think). There are also a lot more Free to Play PS4 games.

molnizzle

$270 is just too damn much for the PS3 when the PS4 is only $399.

I fully expect a $199 price drop for PS3 at E3. Perhaps even $179.

Really cementing that even among niche Japanese games, marketing matters. Demon Gaze in undoubtedly a better game than Conception but NISA doesn't do much (or anything) on Twitter/Youtube outside of Prinny Bombs. Atlus is very active and in touch with their community.
They're both c-tier, but of course marketing matters.

The real surprise here is those Vita numbers. I know we have the 2k but god damn.

Will be interesting to see Vita's numbers next month. Also, is anything coming out for PS4 next month? Wii U could be a contender for May. Edit: Just saw Wii U numbers, jk

Its already almost at that point. Next month it will most probably reach 0.6 million lead.

Very possible given the upcoming price drop. A lot of people are probably going to wait until June to buy an Xbox One now.

June is when it'll start to get very interesting. I expect sales to be very close; although I don't think the X1 will surpass PS4 in June sales.

Dark Souls II debuted last month. It was number 5, selling around 350K, iirc.

Damn, you're right. Time flies! I must have been confused since the PC release came out much later.

I was about to make a post on that. I am surprised that people keep forgetting that Cell is expensive.

?

My post was all types of fucked. I obviously meant Infamous 3, not 2. Too early!!!!

So for all this talk about Call of Duty's demise...still holding on at number 2. Do we have any sales on how it's tracking compared to BLOPS II? I know it was less after launch, but maybe it's gaining now since Ghosts is on more platforms with the PS4 and XONE versions driving new sales.

-14% this month compared to Black Ops 2

-30% launch-to-date compared to Black Ops 2

driver116

Didn't MS PR say Xbox One software remains ahead of PS4 software cumulatively?

Anyway, nailed the PS3 prediction.

Depends on how you work it out ie:

9mil software / 3mil hardware = 3 unit attach
12mil software / 4mil hardware = 2.75 unit attach

could just be one their PR spins.

Spiegel

Didn't MS PR say Xbox One software remains ahead of PS4 software cumulatively?

Anyway, nailed the PS3 prediction.

Yes, they did. It's in the OP.

Xbox One continues to lead in software sales with the most cumulative units sold for any eighth generation home console platform life-to-date.

That 2.74 PS4 tie ratio number is wrong then.

Anyone know what the cost the PS3 has to manufacture? There's not much virtue to Sony selling the PS3 at cost if consumers are just going to use it as a netflix box.

Did I calculate the 2.74 tie ratio wrong?

I'm going to go ahead and delete that tie ratio comparison for now.

Don't want to mislead you guys. :-(

To people confused, NPD adds up all versions of a game together. All multi-platforms are going to be in the top 10. Infamous still sold well enough to be the highest selling PS4 game beating out any X1 and Wii U game.
The most alarming thing is how poorly Titanfall X1 sold. MS was really counting on it to pick up X1 sales. This is probably why they decided to reveal the price drop early.

The PS3 was so bad, that's why everyone who had one is jumping to the PS4. It also explains the sales drop off.

The 360 is so awesome, and gets so many updates, there's almost no reason for anyone to upgrade to a The One.

Spiegel

Did I calculate the 2.74 tie ratio wrong?

I'm going to go ahead and delete that tie ratio comparison for now.

Don't want to mislead you guys. :-(

Well, did PS4 sell anywhere near 1.74M software units this month?

That seems impossible to me compared to only 0.47M XOne.

And don't be sad. Your information is very much appreciated here.

th4tguy

Is NPD still not collecting digital sale data? If not, could the ratio difference be because one system sells more digital content than the other? I know I went all digital with my PS4 this gen and I own 17 non ftp games for the system.

Honestly have to agree. PS3 will probably aim 150 for 100 GB and 200 for 250 GB. Xbox 360 will probably get a price drop as well to 200. Really 250 seems steep for 9 year old tech.
I'm curious how price cuts would affect EU prices. Cause here a PS4 is €399,- and in the US it's $399,- -> so 1:1 €/$
But the 12gig PS3 is already at €170,- and the 4gig X360 at €140,- so most likely not 1:1 as the 8th gen is

PS4 0.5 million ahead of the Xbone already in the US is huge.

Not insurmountable obviously, but such a gap means sales for multiplat titles are going to start being heavily skewed in PS4's favour in the US.

heidern

0 < 3DS + Wii < 150K

I think 3DS will probably be a stagnant 80-90K. If it is over 100K that would be an improvement over the performance in the first quarter. I don't see the point in 4DS anytime soon. Nintendo have a 43M+ userbase that will likely get close to 50M by year end to sell their handheld games to. Why risk that for a new handheld that could flop like the Wii U? Better to take advantage of the userbase they have and then in a couple of years that will allow them to do more market research and also either launch at a lower price or put more/better features into the next handheld to better differentiate it and give it a better shot.

Wii U hardware up 30% and software up 80% is a relatively good result for the system. Sales were up 15% in the first quarter so this further improvement either suggests Mario Kart is starting to sell a few consoles or perhaps Iwata's statement about how they wanted to focus on their evergreen titles is being enacted and they've been advertising the existing games. Absolute sales are so poor that Mario Kart could have a surprisingly strong effect for a month or two. There's even an outside shot Wii U could be the top selling console for May/June although sales could collapse again immediately after.

Top Bottom