• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

skinnyrattler said:
Hmm, I wonder approx how much Madden Wii sold? In dec? 100K? It was outsold by the Xbox1 and PS3 versions but just trying to get some sense on how it's selling.

BTW, did they reorder some of these? Excluding handhelds, this new top 100 list has Madden 360 in the top 10 and above PS2 COD3 whereas the first top 10, PS2 COD3 was number 10.

As a rule of thumb, in December the top 70 games (including handheld games) sell at least 100 000.

As for Madden Wii, I´d bet dollars to donuts it´ll end up outselling the PS3 version (they´re almost equal, as of the end of Dec.) once Wii supply is no longer majorly holding it back.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bungalow Bob said:
As a rule of thumb, in December the top 70 games (including handheld games) sell at least 100 000.

As for Madden Wii, I´d bet dollars to donuts it´ll end up outselling the PS3 version (they´re almost equal, as of the end of Dec.) once Wii supply is no longer majorly holding it back.
You need a tag: Sucks with sales.

jj984jj

Bungalow Bob said:
You think Madden Wii will be ousold by the PS3 version LTD by the end of spring?!? If that happens I get that tag, but if I´m right, then you get it. Do you agree?
Sure, I'll take it. Any mod willing to secure it?

Bungalow Bob said:
You think Madden Wii will be ousold by the PS3 version LTD by the end of spring?!? If that happens I get that tag, but if I´m right, then you get it. Do you agree?
If they're currently about equal with Wii significantly ahead in hardware, for the Wii version to pull ahead you must think the Wii/PS3 ratio will tilt noticeably in Wii's favor in the next three months? Wii outselling PS3 by more than 60% for all of the next three months?

909er

Luckyman said:
Actually they are pretty much tied after two months in the US. RFOM Dec 06 > PDZ Dec 05.

Wait, I'm drunk right now, so I'm probably confused, but hasn't PDZ sold more in the US than there are PS3's sold?

jjasper

909er said:
Wait, I'm drunk right now, so I'm probably confused, but hasn't PDZ sold more in the US than there are PS3's sold?

He is comparing R:FOM's first 2 months (nov-dec 06) to PDZ's first 2 months (nov-dec '05) when he says they are tied.

jj984jj said:
Sure, I'll take it. Any mod willing to secure it?

Cool. :)
I said end of spring, but how bout we make it end of May?

And Joshua, ya - I expect the Wii to significantly outsell the PS3 this winter and spring.

GhaleonEB

Bungalow Bob said:

And Joshua, ya - I expect the Wii to significantly outsell the PS3 this winter and spring.
One possible problem with your arrangement: in order for you to bet on which version of Madden does better, that information needs to be known. Not sure if sonycowboy or another mod will seal a bet made about information which will likely not be released publicly.

andthebeatgoeson

Jammy said:

Impressive for Madden Wii. I ask because I think it's a barometer for 3rd parties. If they can get 3rd party games to sell as well as PS3 and 360 games and at least not as bad as GCN games, they'll be in a great position. That also means more games for the broke sect. I mean, I don't care, downgrade whatever you have to, just give us the games. PS2 show you could have an inferior-graphics port and still make money.

jj984jj

Bungalow Bob said:

Eh, I'm not going to wait around for EA to drop the price for the Wii version, the end of March when the PS3 sales should also be decent still is what I'm betting on.

Mrbob

skinnyrattler said:
Impressive for Madden Wii. I ask because I think it's a barometer for 3rd parties. If they can get 3rd party games to sell as well as PS3 and 360 games and at least not as bad as GCN games, they'll be in a great position. That also means more games for the broke sect. I mean, I don't care, downgrade whatever you have to, just give us the games. PS2 show you could have an inferior-graphics port and still make money.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the games will sell as well as X360 and PS3. The X360 version sold about 2.5 times the Wii version of Madden in December. While you may say the X360 has a higher install base, the X360 version also sold nearly a million copies too before December sales.

Actually, the Wii and PS3 versions of madden were much closer to GCN sales than X360 and PS2 sales for the game. To be honest the GCN version was really close to the Wii version in sales for December.

Madden Wii will make EA money (just like the GCN version did), and it'll probably sell better than the GCN version. I just don't see it as high as X360 or PS2 madden. Or even close.

I suspect Madden 08 will look like this:

PS2>>X360 >>>>PS3>Wii>>>>>>Xbox>GCN

PS2 just won't die. :)

Arsenal

Speaking of the gamecube... are the hardware numbers public for that system? Seems that the Zelda blessing doesn't only apply to the Wii...

donny2112

Some PS3 and Wii LTDs from IGN's Holiday 2006 article.

Wii:

Zelda - 935K
Red Steel - 220K
Rayman - 185K
Madden 07 - 180K
Super Monkey Ball - 175K
COD3 - 155K
Marvel: UA - 150K
Trauma Center - 115K
Excitetruck > 100K

PS3:

Resistance - 286K
Madden 07 - 185K
COD3 - 110K
Marvel: UA - 83K

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Joe Molotov said:

In all fairness, I think this is one point where a look at the install base is warranted. But then again, Zelda's sales means that most of those games sold are at least a second game. I kinda forgot what I was getting at.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
donny2112 said:
Some PS3 and Wii LTDs from IGN's Holiday 2006 article.

Wii:

Zelda - 935K
Red Steel - 220K
Rayman - 185K
Madden 07 - 180K
Super Monkey Ball - 175K
COD3 - 155K
Marvel: UA - 150K
Trauma Center - 115K
Excitetruck > 100K

PS3:

Resistance - 286K
Madden 07 - 185K
COD3 - 110K
Marvel: UA - 83K

IGN even has a nifty pie chart for Marvel sales.

graphs-holiday-2006-20070214044354207.jpg

donny2112

Square2005 said:
Why hasn't anyone tallied/ranked our December predictions yet?

I have little motivation to do so, since the only numbers I can legitimately use (i.e. the ones at the beginning of this thread) only give two significant digits for systems > 1 million. That just leaves too much error to be worth it. I don't know if someone else is planning to do it, though.

Hopefully January will be better.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
But then again, Zelda's sales means that most of those games sold are at least a third game.

Fixed. ;)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yes it's early but I don't think the PS3 can catch the Wii with that price tag.

I see Wii pulling away like the DS did.

Eteric Rice

Danthrax said:
...And still trying to catch the 360? =)

It'll probably even out, world wide. I don't think the Wii will catch up to the 360 anytime soon in the US, though.

Unless they drop some kind of megaton bomb game like Brain Age/ Nintendogs and have supply.

Top Bottom