• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

kadotsu

Banned
You're confusing "popular" with "relevant".

I also loved how he forgot Persona. Also one niche title won't move the needle much but what about 10... or 100? At some point a platform that doesn't need all but the biggest Japanese titles, indies day and date etc. will "die" a death by a thousand cuts.

So I don't know what you talking about because Xbox One is receiving japanese games. Not in the same amount of PS4 of course, why S-E for example would launch Star Ocean on Xbox One since there's no audience? But FF XV and KH3 makes sense.

Xbox One is a console for japanese games that are more popular in west.
You adjusted your original statement of the X1 "getting Japanese games developed for it" by adding "more popular in the west".

Which is it? Are you saying the X1 is getting the most popular Japanese games?

I disagreed with your original statement because I was including everything Japanese. I wasn't limiting it to how big or small or popular the title was. In that regard, the PS4 blows the X1 out of the water and then some.

Welfare

I also loved how he forgot Persona. Also one niche title won't move the needle much but what about 10... or 100? At some point a platform that doesn't need all but the biggest Japanese titles, indies day and date etc. will "die" a death by a thousand cuts.

How well does Persona do in the US?

Dream Drop Distance launched at 180k. That's lower than Birth By Sleep which launched on the PSP in 2010. When the system was like, basically dead in the West when it came to software sales. Triple D sold terribly. There's a reason why Square mostly gave up on localizing 3DS games shortly after.

That number is US-only and it actually sold 200K because the 180K figure did not count the Mark of Mastery Edition.

No surprises that FF XV split will be 80/20. Still that 20% can justify the port that It's relative simple due to the same architecture.

That is if the split will be 80/20. I don't think there's a single JRPG that's coming out on the XB1 between now and FFXV, meaning that the system has no means to grow its JRPG fanbase. Meanwhile, I can easily name you several JRPGs that are coming out the PS4 in the same timeframe.

Jigorath

Banned
Since when does the presence of an exclusivity agreement somehow negate the fact that a game is not coming out in a platform?

I don't even know how to respond to this. Your post is kind of dumb. FFVII is timed exclusive to PS4 cause Sony paid for it. Who knows what platforms it could come to later on.

Yes let's judge the health of the dragon quest franchise off the sales of Musou spin off game. That makes perfect sense.

We can judge it by other games if you want. How about all those DS remakes that all bombed one after the another?

You're confusing "popular" with "relevant".

No I'm not. I just understand (what some of you don't seem to) that the importance of Japanese games in a Western marketplace has kind of faded in recent years.

Rymuth

Has Tabata even shown the Bone version of FFXV? I recall Kagari alluding they were pouring most of their efforts on the PS version.

This isn't me saying its cancelled, just musing if we'll see another FF13 situation.

No I'm not. I just understand (what some of you don't seem to) that the importance of Japanese games has kind of faded in recent years.

Less relevancy =/= Irrelevancy

Yes, you are. If a game is irrelevant in the west, then publishers wouldn't want to release their games in the west because no one would buy them. While several Japanese games do not put up impressive sales numbers, they still have relevance because there are consumers who do buy those games.

allan-bh

You adjusted your original statement of the X1 "getting Japanese games developed for it" by adding "more popular in the west".

Which is it? Are you saying the X1 is getting the most popular Japanese games?

Because I disagreed with your original statement because I was including everything Japanese. I wasn't limiting it to how big or small the title was. In that regard, the PS4 blows the X1 out of the water and then some.

I didn't adjusted anything, first statment is a simple fact, japanese publishers are developing for the console, never said "all".

RexNovis

Banned
The only 3rd party Japanese franchises I'd call relevant in the West are...

Dark Souls
Resident Evil
Final Fantasy (mainline only)
Kingdom Hearts (mainline only)
Street Fighter
Tekken (I think?)
Dragon Ball Z
Metal Gear
Maybe Naruto

Umm, that's probably about it.

Hmm okay let's see

-Dark Souls: Bloodborne a spiritual successor to the dark souls series was exclusive to PS4 and proceeded to outsell both previous entries on consoles.

- Resident Evil: the next entry has yet to be announced

-Final Fantasy: somehow the single biggest success in the series gets a remake that is exclusive to PS4 and that doesn't matter because reasons.

-Kingdom Hearts: there are no previous KH games available on the Xbox platform and a rerelease of previous titles are releasing exclusive to PS4.

-Street Fighter: Perhaps you've been living under a rock for the past year but in case you didn't know SFV is exclusive to PS4

-Tekken: Currently there has been no word whatsoever of Tekken 7 releasing in anything except PS4 and maybe PC. All indications are it will not be coming to XB1.

- Dragonball Z: LOL at you thinking this is relevant but Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and so many others aren't.

-Metal Gear: the last titles did release on XB1 but the software split was staggeringly large. So even your "relevant" games are selling a pittance in the XB1

- Naruto: both this and Dragonball sales are a fraction of the sales of the other franchises I've mentioned but somehow these are more "relevant." Mmk then

Yea that list isn't exactly making the point you want it to. Your mental gymnastics are staggering to watch.

Vena

Has Tabata even shown the Bone version of FFXV? I recall Kagari alluding they were pouring most of their efforts on the PS version.

This isn't me saying its cancelled, just musing if we'll see another FF13 situation.

Better question: Have they shown anything but high-end PC performance and runtimes of the game? Because at this point, I am wondering exactly what the end product is going to look like on either console.

Jigorath

Banned
Yes, you are.

No I'm not.

Last time I'm responding to you. A niche game can find success at 50k units sold. And that's perfectly fine. But that doesn't make it a relevant title in a marketplace dominated by much much larger sharks. A Dark Souls title sells a million copies in the US? That's relevant. Disgaea 5 selling like 30k? Not so much.

Mory Dunz

Wait, that duscae thing wasn't on Xbox?

No I'm not.

Last time I'm responding to you. A niche game can find success at 50k units sold. And that's perfectly fine. But that doesn't make it a popular title in a marketplace dominated by much much larger sharks. A Dark Souls title sells a million copies in the US? That's popular. Disgaea 5 selling like 30k? Not that popular.

Fixed for more accuracy. Absolutely hilarious that you only focused on the "Yes, you are" and jumped the gun.

allan-bh

-Final Fantasy: somehow the single biggest success in the series gets a remake that is exclusive to PS4 and that doesn't matter because reasons.

-Street Fighter: Perhaps you've been living under a rock for the past year but in case you didn't know SFV is exclusive to PS4

So, doesn't matter because you are saying? One thing is not receive a game because the publisher doesn't want to launch, other is a hardware maker achieve a deal for the game. Same thing for SF V that is a pretty viable tittle for Xbox One.

RexNovis

Banned
Tekken 7 is coming to PS4 and XB1. PC is the one won't get it for now

This is news to me. Do you have a source for this?

So, doesn't matter because you are saying? One thing is not receive a game because the publisher doesn't want to launch, other is a hardware maker achieve a deal for the game. Same thing for SF V that is a pretty viable tittle for Xbox One.

If you think sales projections and potential profitability on the competing platform didn't have anything to do with the decision to make an exclusivity agreement I don't know what to tell you. Of course they did.

Vena

I think his point here is that this remake's omission isn't based solely on market realities or considerations but on one publisher paying to keep it exclusive for some undisclosed amount of time. Of course, the fact that it would sell 70/30 or 80/20 on PS4/X1 is likely a contributing factor in the deal being made to begin with but the decision to make it exclusive wasn't done in a vacuum and only observing the market trends, it was done because a big bag of cash was put on the table.

The fact that its not permanent exclusivity tells us a lot about the deal, and it seems to pretty much just be Fantasy Tom Braider of 2016/2017.

Shenmue

Banned

The thing is if your console is very viable a title wouldn't get lifetime exclusivity in the first place because the lost sales on that console would be too big for the other platform holder to pay for.

It's why Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive and not lifetime.

Jigorath

Banned

Oh good lord. Let me break this down for you.

-Dark Souls: Bloodborne a spiritual successor to the dark souls series was exclusive to PS4 and proceeded to outsell both previous entries on consoles.

Bloodborne was a Sony/FROM partnership. Dark Souls 3 was announced for Xbone by the by.

What's your point? Franchise sells pretty well in the West.

Are you being purposefully obtuse here? The game is (timed) exclusive to PS4 cause Sony paid for it. Why do you think Tomb Raider was timed exclusive to Xbone? Hint: It wasn't because they just felt like it.

-Kingdom Hearts: there are no previous KH games available on the Xbox platform and a rerelease of previous titles are releasing exclusive to PS4.

I already weighed in on 2.whatever. It'll be a niche seller at best. Might even bomb.

Another Sony exclusivity deal. Are you not reading what I'm writing?

-Tekken: Currently there has been no word whatsoever of Tekken 7 releasing in anything except PS4 and maybe PC. All indications are it will not be coming to XB1.

Nope. Tekken 7 has been annouced for Xbox One. Try again.

- Dragonball Z: LOL at you thinking this is relevant but Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and so many others aren't.

Xenoverse sold a fuckton more in the West than any recent Dragon Quest or Star Ocean title.

-Metal Gear: the last titles did release on XB1 but the software split was staggeringly large. So even your "relevant" games are selling a pittance in the XB1

I'm not arguing software split. What are you even talking about?

- Naruto: both this and Dragonball sales are a fraction of the sales of the other franchises I've mentioned but somehow these are more "relevant." Mmk then

I said Naruto was a maybe. But I am pretty sure the new Naruto will outsell Star Ocean 5 in the West.

Yea that list isn't exactly making the point you want it to. Your mental gymnastics are staggering to watch.

I've made my point perfectly clear. Your posts are filled with biased and inaccurate information.

Vena

The thing is if your console is very viable a title wouldn't get lifetime exclusivity in the first place because the lost sales on that console would be too big for the other platform holder to pay for.

FFVIIR isn't lifetime exclusive as far as I am aware, is it?

allan-bh

You know a game called Titanfall?

This is news to me. Do you have a source for this?

Here you go
http://gematsu.com/2015/10/tekken-7-coming-ps4-xbox-one

Edit: actually, you're right. The game isn't officially announced for XB1
http://shoryuken.com/2015/10/27/tekken-7-heading-to-playstation-4/
UPDATE – Bandai Namco Entertainment’s official press release states that Tekken 7 will be coming to home platforms plural, which likely means Xbox One owners won’t be left behind. We’ll update this article as soon as we receive a more concrete answer.

Vena

It also hasn't been announced for anything else yet.

Sure, but it wasn't being stated or announced as permanent exclusive, it was being announced as "first on" or "debut" or whatever the exact purposefully obfuscating jargon was. The marketing is clear in its attempt to give as little information as possible on the terms of the exclusivity, hence why I called it the Fantasy Tom Braider of 2016/2017, or whenever it comes out.

Welfare

Hmm okay let's see

And XB1 is getting DS3 and it was even announced at the MS E3 conference.

When it does get announced, it won't skip the XB1.

It's timed and Sony could've very likely paid for that.

I think there was some sort of deal SE and Sony made during the PS2 era and that's why those games can't come out on other platforms besides PS. That's also why FFX/X2 isn't on XB1 or Steam, but Type 0 is. Heard it on here.

Paid exclusive that has been repeated multiple times that if it weren't for Sony paying upfront, the game would be years away.

It is coming to XB1, but currently nothing for PC

This is the US dude. Dragon Ball probably sells more here than those.

Fair point. It still sold a fair amount of units though.

In the US? I doubt this.

Jigorath

Banned
I've had this same argument with Nintendo fans who think NX will be a huge success in the West cause it'll have Etrian Odyssey or whatever. These niche Japanese games don't do much in the West. Xbone missing out on some of these games ain't a big deal. I doubt anyone at Microsoft is crying over it.

Mory Dunz

Hmm okay let's see

tbf, doesn't dbz handily outsell those specific 2 in the west currently, if xenoverse got to 2.5 mil WW while only doing around ~300k (iirc) combined in Japan?

Apt101

I

The fact that its not permanent exclusivity tells us a lot about the deal, and it seems to pretty much just be Fantasy Tom Braider of 2016/2017.

Galavanting, world-renowned adventurer and quarterback. :D

Regarding Final Fantasy VII, has there been any info on the terms of the deal between SE and Sony? I scanned the thread and did a quick Google search, didn't find much. And I agree, Vena, the popularity of the franchise with the Sony/PS brand made this entire thing pretty natural.

Vena

I've had this same argument with Nintendo fans who think NX will be a huge success in the West cause it'll have Etrian Odyssey or whatever. These niche Japanese games don't do much in the West. Xbone missing out on some of these games ain't a big deal. I doubt anyone at Microsoft is crying over it.

I'd actually be curious as to with whom you've had such an argument because the last time this was brought up, it wasn't to somehow "succeed" but to carve out a niche based on domestic market strength and attempt to use that in the west. If anything, Pokemon and other major franchises would be the reason globally... aka first party titles.

tbf, doesn't dbz handily outsell those specific 2 in the west currently, if xenoverse got to 2.5 mil WW while only doing around ~300k (iirc) combined in Japan?

Indeed. The closest DQs were DQIX and DQVIII but those are off by at least a million outside of Japan (~1 million in the west total for the DQs). And Star Ocean is nowhere near even that.

Since the ps4 and xb1 combined are up 47% over the ps360 during the same timeframe, I'd like to see, and at the same time would hate to see, a list showing major game releases over the same timeframe. I have a feeling it would be stark contrast between the generations.

I think there was some sort of deal SE and Sony made during the PS2 era and that's why those games can't come out on other platforms besides PS. That's also why FFX/X2 isn't on XB1 or Steam, but Type 0 is. Heard it on here.

FFX/X-2 HD is already on SteamDB and KH 3D is on Nintendo platform that has nothing to do with Sony but the remaster version only comes to PS4.

allan-bh

At the time EA definitely thought the PS4 wouldn't be that viable of a console for fps much less a console period. Remember they thought MS was gonna eat Sony's lunch or whatever.

The original plan was launch on PS4 later, that changed because Microsoft paid more money.

At the time they announced the new deal (late october 2013) anyone in the industry knew that PS4 would have a better launch.

Results not that surprising, though I hoped at least one Wii U game would be in. Call of Duty, 2K, Madden, and Fifa are what I expect at the top during the holidays. It's been a while since I've been in one of these threads.

RexNovis

Banned

Actually XB1 has never been mentioned by name. All that was said was that it was releasing on multiple platforms which many then assumed meant an XB1 release.

Bandai Namco Entertainment’s official press release states that Tekken 7 will be coming to home platforms plural, which likely means Xbox One owners won’t be left behind.

This is the only statement they have given indicating any release other than PS4. many assumed this meant XB1 but there has been no official confirmation that is the case.

Edit: LOL looks like you already corrected yourself. So never mind.

Welfare

FFX/X-2 HD is already on SteamDB and KH 3D is on Nintendo platform that has nothing to do with Sony but the remaster version only comes to PS4.

That same SteamDB update had HL3. I will not believe it until SE actually announces it.

And what PS2 KH game is on Nintendo?

demigod

Hmm okay let's see - Dragonball Z: LOL at you thinking this is relevant but Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and so many others aren't.

What, I thought DBZ and Naruto are really popular in NA. Pretty sure they outsell Star Ocean and probably DQ.

Vena

Explain me this strategy.

The strategy of carving out a niche? Well it'd basically be the 3DS (strong domestic market, healthy to strong western software market for niche Japanese titles) just without Nintendo being split between two platforms in their output, hence the actual strength of the platform wouldn't be from said niche but from Nintendo's own considerably more relevant output.

I don't think just having niche Japanese titles would be the strategy... that's the 3DS already and it clearly hasn't propelled to the stars.

What, I thought DBZ and Naruto are really popular in NA. Pretty sure they outsell Star Ocean and probably DQ.

The problem is we're speaking in relative terms. We can objectively conclude that DBZ and Naruto are more relevant or more popular, depending on your word choice. However, that isn't to say that Star Ocean and DQ are irrelevant because people's criteria for relevancy/irrelevancy are different and subjective. For instance, my criteria for relevancy is that there is enough consumer interest for a game to be localized.

RexNovis

Banned
So, you think home platforms means PS4 and Wii U, or maybe PS4 and NX?

I think PC is also considered a "home platform" since they specifically did not say the word for "console" in Japanese and I think that it certainly hadn't been confirmed for XB1 as others said it had.

Top Bottom