• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

Who'd have thought that the successor to the Wii would be bombing everywhere? The US numbers are bad, the Japanese numbers are bad and the European numbers can probably be counted on the fingers of one foot.

It'll pick up at some point, but I don't think anyone expected it to limp out of the gate like this.

That's what you get when you launch a system without any killer apps.

Keyouta

Surprised by Sly.

Horrible numbers for Wii U, as expected.

I think FE:A did well, the digital sales sure did good (for a reason), but I wonder how well it would have sold without supply issues.

Times have changed quite a bit since 2005, I seriously hope to see all you sales dorks on here this time next year when PS4 and the 720 sell no better than WiiU in it's launch window :D.

Heh sales dorks. Very witty.

New consoles won't have to break a sweat to outsell these shit numbers. They will have 3rd party games to fill the dry spells.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Times have changed quite a bit since 2005, I seriously hope to see all you sales dorks on here this time next year when PS4 and the 720 sell no better than WiiU in it's launch window :D.

You are calling others here Sales dorks? - In an NPD / sales thread?

Awww man that's salty. :p

Z3M0G

Increases in februrary over January... evidence to support the info that January numbers are reduced by returns of units sold in December?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Annnnd....that's basically it. There's essentially zero new Vita games until April 30th.

DOA5 says "sup." I couldn't care about the two titles you list. That and Frozen Synapse are the only two titles it has that interest me.

AniHawk

Who'd have thought that the successor to the Wii would be bombing everywhere? The US numbers are bad, the Japanese numbers are bad and the European numbers can probably be counted on the fingers of one foot.

It'll pick up at some point, but I don't think anyone expected it to limp out of the gate like this.

*raises hand*

Fucking unbelievable the ratio of downloads for Fire Emblem! :D

Wasn't there a 3DS bundle with a downloadable copy of FE? That might have skewed those numbers a bit. It is still pretty impressive though and going forward DD numbers will be even bigger. It's not outlandish to say that PSV and 3DS DD sales of SW are in the 10-20% at least, PS3 would probably be around there too with Day 1 games on PSN.

For sales-age folks, I don't think anything that constantly gets above 10% of sales through DD can be ignored as just statistical noise.

I really don't like this picture, that the Wii and DS are still have a strong presence.

Perhaps its time for Nintendo to kill the switch for DS later in the year?

If they don't like money, sure. DS died in Japan, but it's still doing well in the US, so no reason to kill it yet.

rdrr gnr

So, what exactly are the arguments against Nintendo dropping the price and trying to get as many units in the hands of gamers before next-gen releases?

Can someone recall what released for the $599 PS3 in February 2007 that caused it to sell twice the Wii U number?

What released for PSV in February to cause an increased weekly average?

UberTag

MS's claim of 5 games in top 10 is ... laughable.
Must be true on an individual SKU basis. Clearly they show up 9 times out of the multi-SKU Top 10.

LIKELY INDIVIDUAL SKU TOP 10 (in some order)

Dead Space 3 (X360)
Dead Space 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (X360)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (PS3)
Crysis 3 (X360)
NBA 2K13 (X360)
NBA 2K13 (PS3)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
Aliens: Colonial Marines (X360)
Just Dance 4 (Wii)

That's probably accurate. Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS would be in this group as well if you included digital sales.

Sandfox

So, what exactly are the arguments against Nintendo dropping the price and trying to get as many units in the hands of gamers before next-gen releases?

It would be smarter to either create a better bundle or drop the price when they have big games coming out.

Shareholders murdering the management, huge net losses, Nintendo products gain the image of something you should avoid at launch to wait for a price drop months later.

GulAtiCa

Prob better to do a price drop and release with a major game then just randomly reduce the price. Doing bundles like the ZombU one more often would help too.

I doubt we will get data on those bundles either

tkscz

They need only 3 things to give it a real boost.

1. Kill off the Wii. The damn thing is still selling into the 100K. I know they are still making millions on it (which is probably why it isn't dead yet), but it's doing harm to the WiiU with people still thinking it's just a controller for the Wii.

2. Games. I think that Lego City and Monster hunter will push some Wii U's (the former more than the latter), but they need something big. Something that will make people forget their Wii's and move on.

3. Price drop. Nintendo, you have 14 billion dollars, and still profit off the Wii, DS, and 3DS, plus software. Bite the god damned bullet and sale the WiiU at (more of) a loss. $199.99 for basic and $249.99 for premium. Look what dropping the 3DS price did for it. Plus, I want ambassador privileges like with my 3DS :)

Are Nintendo/Sony making profit on the Wii U/3DS/Vita?

Out of those 3, only the 3DS is making profit and it's only been making it since last September IIRC. The Wii U and Vita are both selling at loss.

Darryl

Banned

the arguments is that nintendo has said themselves that the console is selling currently at-loss and no one knows if nintendo is willing to take that big of a loss on it. i don't think there are any other arguments against it. bring on the price drop. i think a $249 Wii U could be as big as the Wii.

Heh sales dorks. Very witty.

New consoles won't have to break a sweat to outsell these shit numbers. They will have 3rd party games to fill the dry spells.

Yeah the same third party games that will be available for PS360, I have no doubts PS4 / 720 will sell I just think most of you think they will do much better than they actually will.

3 million each from launch - April 1st 2014, around the same as WiiU, get your excuses ready ;).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wasn't there a 3DS bundle with a downloadable copy of FE? That might have skewed those numbers a bit. It is still pretty impressive though and going forward DD numbers will be even bigger. It's not outlandish to say that PSV and 3DS DD sales of SW are in the 10-20% at least, PS3 would probably be around there too with Day 1 games on PSN.

For sales-age folks, I don't think anything that constantly gets above 10% of sales through DD can be ignored as just statistical noise.

If they don't like money, sure. DS died in Japan, but it's still doing well in the US, so no reason to kill it yet.

The FE bundle released with a pre installed copy of the game.

prwxv3

I did not expect Wii sales for WiiU but not bombing like it is now. Its pretty unbelievable that the WiiU has sold less units than the lowest sales number for the $600 no games PS3.

Must be true on an individual SKU basis. Clearly they show up 9 times out of the multi-SKU Top 10.

LIKELY INDIVIDUAL SKU TOP 10 (in some order)

Dead Space 3 (X360)
Dead Space 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (X360)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (PS3)
Crysis 3 (X360)
NBA 2K13 (X360)
NBA 2K13 (PS3)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
Aliens: Colonial Marines (X360)
Just Dance 4 (Wii)

That's probably accurate. Fire Emblem: Awakening 3DS would be in this group as well if you included digital sales.

I don't know about this, as I suspect virtually 100% of the Sly retail sales were of the PS3/Vita doublepack.

Orayn

No, it's not a jump since last month it was hit with returns.

It's actually a steady decline in increase.

Wii U is flatlining fast and hard in only four months.

We don't know the exact numbers on returns. Some want to believe they were minimal, because that would make 65k an increase, while others want the opposite. Before we had this month's numbers, those peoples' positions were reversed, since more returns would mean a smaller decrease from December, and less returns would mean a more miserable January.

The most important thing is that we can all feel (in)secure in making claims based on inadequate information because they suit our agendas. :p

that it will make nintendo lose money?

Seriously though the controller will make any serious cost reductions on the thing impossible pretty much ever. It will be like an anchor around it's neck. Not that the system would have succeeded without it either, of course.

Top Bottom