• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Shit if I can't play FFXV or Kingdom Hearts 3 on my Xbox I'll never buy another Square Enix game again because I'm not buying a PS4 just to play those games or future installments.

They already promised an Xbox One version for those games. They gotta deliver.
Don't worry. I doubt there is much chance of them not being on both consoles.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Shit if I can't play FFXV or Kingdom Hearts 3 on my Xbox I'll never buy another Square Enix game again because I'm not buying a PS4 just to play those games or future installments.

Wait? You bought an Xbox One to play Japanese games and expect Japanese publishers like SE to cater to Xbox?

Or do you mean that SE announced Xbox version so you want them to honour that?

Welfare

Wait? You bought an Xbox One to play Japanese games and expect Japanese publishers like SE to cater to Xbox?

Or do you mean that SE announced Xbox version so you want them to honour that?

Second one.

I wouldn't buy an Xbox for Japanese games. I learned that from the 360. I like that games like MGS and FF (mainly MGS) are coming to Xbox. Playstation isn't the only console brand that is "popular".

Bgamer90

Banned

The only JRPG that I care about is Kingdom Hearts (the same was true back when I had a PS2 for my main console -- I'm not a big JRPG fan).

Apparently you've never visited the Tomb Raider threads...

Ugh. I did (haha). The anger with MS not being clear was warranted but the "a-ha take thats" were sad.

2thepoint

Second one.

I wouldn't buy an Xbox for Japanese games. I learned that from the 360. I like that games like MGS and FF (mainly MGS) are coming to Xbox. Playstation isn't the only console brand that is "popular".

Is there not one exclusive, already released, or upcoming for PS4 that would make you buy the console? Even, The Last of Us, or Bloodborne?

Also, I think The Last of Us 2 is going to do gangbusters in terms of hardware sales, whenever that comes.

Welfare

Is there not one exclusive, already released, or upcoming for PS4 that would make you buy the console? Even, The Last of Us, or Bloodborne?

Also, I think The Last of Us 2 is going to do gangbusters in terms of hardware sales, whenever that comes.

My entire time playing with the Playstation 1, 2, and 3, all the games I enjoyed were third party exclusives that I couldn't get for the Xbox. Killzone 2 and Warhawk grabbed my attention as well, but that was during my phase of just playing the PS3 for whatever reason.

No Sony exclusive interests me right now. That might change, but right now I'm content.

RBK

Banned
Am I wrong for not considering TLOU: Remastered an exclusive?

I understand people may have not played it on PS3, but there really wasn't much value in double-dipping back in July 2014.

2thepoint

My entire time playing with the Playstation 1, 2, and 3, all the games I enjoyed were third party exclusives that I couldn't get for the Xbox. Killzone 2 and Warhawk grabbed my attention as well, but that was during my phase of just playing the PS3 for whatever reason.

No Sony exclusive interests me right now. That might change, but right now I'm content.

Ah, later down the line something will probably pique your interest.

Good god I cannot wait to see Guerrillas dino RPG.

I will definitely be like this during E3 if it shows up.

1188017844035.gif

Welfare

Ah, later down the line something will probably pique your interest.

Good god I cannot wait to see Guerrillas dino RPG.

I will definitely be like this during E3 if it shows up.

I eventually nab all 3 consoles in a generation. If Guerrillas RPG looks good, I might get a PS4 for that.

Dazza

Uh.... the PS3 was indeed slightly more powerful than the 360. The only reason multiplatform games looked worse on PS3 was because of its complicated architecture which was a pain in the ass to work with. But when devs mastered the Cell, look at what they produced.

I still saw the last generation in favour for the 360 for multiplatforms because of the ease of development, performance wise it's wasn't clear cut like it is this gen and that is what I meant by my statement. You are right about mastering the Cell, but that only ever happened with 1st party developers, but the GPU and memory arrangement were superior on the 360.

I never said last gen, "Man... this game on 360 would have been better if they didn't make it for PS3."

I guess some Xbox gamers said something similar when it came to games on PS2 but I don't know; The PS2 was my main console during that time/gen.

Microsoft parity clauses are unidirectional, I know there is very thin evidence for some of the worse mandated parity suggestions, but they are in line with other Microsoft business practices, past and current.

The Xbox OG, did benefit alot over PS2 ports, with only a few exceptions. It had alot of PC ports that would have been very difficult to run on the PS2. I was primarily a PC gamer during that stage even though I owned both consoles aswell. I can easily see where some console games would have benefited being on Xbox or PC only, especially when it came down to things like AI, enemy numbers, textures, world sizes, physics.

onQ123

I understand people may have not played it on PS3, but there really wasn't much value in double-dipping back in July 2014.

But what does it change when you don't consider it an exclusive?

this is a real question by the way not trying to be an ass or anything.

Zil33184

I still saw the last generation in favour for the 360 for multiplatforms because of the ease of development, performance wise it's wasn't clear cut like it is this gen and that is what I meant by my statement. You are right about mastering the Cell, but that only ever happened with 1st party developers, but the GPU and memory arrangement were superior on the 360.

Dice was the one other studio that really pushed shading onto Cell and it shows. Frostbite 3 games perform better on PS3 than Xbox 360.

EDIT:

I think any hardcore JRPG fan who doesn't have a PS4/PS3/Vita is just doing it wrong.

The Xbox just isn't the place for this genre and burying your head in the sand isn't going to change the fact that Japan has never given a crap about the Xbox brand.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It doesn't matter how large Amazon's market share is, it matters how representative the sample is.
I would argue quite the opposite: Given the limited availability of data, looking at the full picture of how the dailies evolve over time and the monthly say quite a lot.

Edit: Sorry, double post -- thought it was a different thread!

okay, then go ahead and track the daily trends evey day for a month and share with us what it says.

And then I'll share with you the full market data and we'll see what we learned.

Welfare

I think any hardcore JRPG fan who doesn't have a PS4/PS3/Vita is just doing it wrong.

The Xbox just isn't the place for this genre and burying your head in the sand isn't going to change the fact that Japan has never given a crap about the Xbox brand.

This day and age I shouldn't even have to buy a specific console to play one genre.

And I'm not burying my head in the sand. This isn't the 90's where the only systems were japanese.

okay, then go ahead and track the daily trends evey day for a month and share with us what it says.

And then I'll share with you the full market data and we'll see what we learned.

Yeah I'm not sure people realize how small Amazons market share is to the big picture.

Also that it is 100% unreliable for software sales. They are barely even a player in that game for week 1 sales. A certain other company does the big lions share of sales at launch.

FF XV won't be canceled, c'mon, they released a demo of the game for it. And KH III is being developed using UE4, it's probably not that expensive to port from a platform to another, so I doubt it'll get canceled either.

Abdiel

Not sure how it looks on Shogun's side, but for us, the preorders for FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 on the XB1 are not worth mentioning. More than a 70% slant for both titles; and Type 0 has been a quite drastic slant as well in favor in the PS4's favor. I know that the other two titles are far away at best, but we've got a pretty solid number of preorders for the PS4 version of the titles.

I remember Kagiri saying that the arrangements for XB1 to get ports was made before the gen started, but I can't imagine they're all that thrilled with the way it is likely to turn out. The audience for those games/genres seems to simply not exist in the XB1 crowd.

This day and age I shouldn't even have to buy a specific console to play one genre.

And I'm not burying my head in the sand. This isn't the 90's where the only systems were japanese.

There is not enough of an audience on the X1 to warrant most Japanese support.

The big stuff is coming to it, so you'll have you're FFs and KH but even that decision was likely made before they knew the X1 would be a complete failure WW and struggle to outsell it's more expensive competitor in the region which it previously dominated. Even being cheaper and throwing free games they're still get easily beat

Going forward, if Japanese support is something you want, the X1 is definitely not the way to go. And even the games that do come will be a second thought, likely not performing well or with some other compromises

I truly doubt going in, anyone thought the X1 would struggle this much And right now I imagine most of the stuff coming out is still from contracts made before PS domination. I wonder how things will change going forward as the Gap continues to rapidly increase

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Except... you still do if you want to play the vast majority of Japanese games.

Poop!

Of course it isn't an exclusive. It's on multiple platforms... hence the word "multiplatform". This goes for any game on any system. If the game can be played on multiple gaming platforms then it isn't exclusive. Then you get into marketing terms like "console exclusive" or "Playstation exclusive" or "MS exclusive" but that's all it is... marketing speak. If it's on multiple platforms, it is not exclusive.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not sure how it looks on Shogun's side, but for us, the preorders for FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 on the XB1 are not worth mentioning. More than a 70% slant for both titles; and Type 0 has been a quite drastic slant as well in favor in the PS4's favor. I know that the other two titles are far away at best, but we've got a pretty solid number of preorders for the PS4 version of the titles.

I remember Kagiri saying that the arrangements for XB1 to get ports was made before the gen started, but I can't imagine they're all that thrilled with the way it is likely to turn out. The audience for those games/genres seems to simply not exist in the XB1 crowd.

Yeah, I'm curious how Type-0 will shake out in the end. Most people playing it definitely seem to be on PS4 just based on a quick look around the usual places.

Welfare

Except... you still do if you want to play the vast majority of Japanese games.

I'm not saying you don't not do that, but I'm saying I shouldn't have to buy a second home console to play a large amount of Japanese games.

Just sucks being an Xbox fan when I got to play so many great Japanese games with the PS2.

Poop!

I'm not saying you don't not do that, but I'm saying I shouldn't have to buy a second home console to play a large amount of Japanese games.

Just sucks being an Xbox fan when I got to play so many great Japanese games with the PS2.

If you want the best Japan has to offer, buy a 3DS.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It is what it is though. MS has given up on Japan for a long, long time now and it's not going to change.

So nothing has changed other than the brand you prefer?

Welfare

Reality sucks.
If you want the best Japan has to offer, buy a 3DS.
At this point, yeah.
It is what it is though. MS has given up on Japan for a long, long time now and it's not going to change.
Yeah, I understand that. It just sucks. Hopefully Scalebound is good.
So nothing has changed other than the brand you prefer?
Well I did get into the FPS genre, but yeah nothing's really changed besides the brand.

From the Japanese side I wouldn't be surprised if Square doesn't announce anymore games for Xbox One, not even FFXV2. I think they'll release FFXV and KHIII and end it there.

Well there's the thing, you had a PS2. Logic follows that if you still wanted that Japanese support you would go with PS4.

Abdiel

Yeah, I'm curious how Type-0 will shake out in the end. Most people playing it definitely seem to be on PS4 just based on a quick look around the usual places.

We saw some copies picked up on the XB1, but it was laughably small by comparison... And many of them seemed kind of bemused by their purchase? I don't know. Most of those grabbing it for PS4 were eager and confident in it, excited for more Final Fantasy; the ones grabbing it on XB1 looked kind of awkward or confused. This is entirely just based on the attitude showing outwardly, but there wasn't the new game giddiness much at all for those I saw picking up their preorders; and I don't think we had a single walk in buyer for the XB1 copies in the first 3 days in my home store.

It's really more than just that though; the attempt by MS to court Japanese developers with the 360 didn't pan out at all. The 360 versions of Final Fantasy still didn't do great, and even now, it is only MS policy keeping FFXIV RR off of their system... But I don't think that would change much anyway.

Speaking purely from retail, I just don't see customers buying Japanese titles for Xbox systems with any degree of frequency.

truth411

Wait a sec, isn't that a contradiction? If you like Japanese Games then it's obvious you should get a PS4.

Welfare

Well there's the thing, you had a PS2. Logic follows that if you still wanted that Japanese support you would go with PS4.

I'm eventually grabbing a PS4, but my main console will be the Xbox One. I'd like the support/games on my Xbox One.

But meh. It's not like that.

Wait a sec, isn't that a contradiction? If you like Japanese Games then it's obvious you should get a PS4.

Already said I'm grabbing one eventually.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Xbox fan and loves Japanese games not computing. Cant really get around owning both IMO.

We haven't started reserves on those two yet. Buy yeah I'm sure things will look very similar for us. Sony certainly (unsurprisingly) has a large advantage with Japanese based games.

That said, personaly, I do think there is a decent enough sized audience on the Xbox One for the large Japanese games. It's still probably worth it for stuff like Kingdom Hearts and FFXV to come over. Porting between the two is probably pretty cheap with their architecture being so similar.

Smaller studios though may look at the situation very differently

2thepoint

Doesn't Microsoft have an internal Japan studio?

Or was that just hearsay?

Surely whatever that studio outputs could really change things in the Japanese market for Xbox One.

Abdiel

We haven't started reserves on those two yet. Buy yeah I'm sure things will look very similar for us. Sony certainly (unsurprisingly) has a large advantage with Japanese based games.

That said, personaly, I do think there is a decent enough sized audience on the Xbox One for the large Japanese games. It's still probably worth it for stuff like Kingdom Hearts and FFXV to come over. Porting between the two is probably pretty cheap with their architecture being so similar.

Smaller studios though may look at the situation very differently

We started accepting preorders for both after they were announced at e3 that year, haha. But even with that time, the XB numbers are pathetic.

How is the split for type 0 on your stores?

As to whether it's worth it... I feel like that's only slightly true here in the U.S. And maybe the UK. Everywhere else it's throwing money down a pit. And the split I've seen on every major Japanese release has never lent positivity to the outlook for the MS platform.

EatMyFace

Banned

So you got to play lots of Japanese games on PS2....now you're an Xbox fan and you wonder why there aren't a lot of Japanese games? Huh? That's some weird logic right there.

Sucks being an Xbox fan? You have other options. It doesn't even require you own multiple consoles. If you are such a big fan of Japanese games maybe a PS4 is a better console for you? Or a Wii U? Those ARE Japanese consoles so it only makes sense.

Kasper

I can't imagine XV-2 and KH4 (if that releases in this generation) not being multiplatform. While the games will naturally do significantly worse on Xbox One, it probably can't cost SE that much to port them, especially after the hard work has already been done once with their predecessors. So unless XV and KH3 completely and utterly tanks on Xbox One the system should be getting the follow-ups.

Now Sony could choose to go the Microsoft route of buying temporary exclusivity, since this is SE we're talking about, but I don't see why they would do that. It doesn't seem like them at all, and I don't think it would really do them any good. It'd anger the few Xbox fans there are and it probably wouldn't lead to an increase in sales.

If Type-0 and XV/KH3 will make any difference to Xbox One fans, it'll be with future spin-offs and other smaller SE franchises. For example, if Type-0 really does as poorly on Xbox One as the anecdotal evidence points towards, that'd probably be a small enough fry that I wouldn't be completely surprised if whatever "Type-Next" is might end up as a PS4 exclusive. It's still far from a given, though.

Top Bottom