• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

Fady K

Genuinely surprised by that Digimon number, in a good way. I wonder if Bandai Namco is too. Awesome news for the Digifans.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I was expecting slightly more, like 250,000 units sold at retail alone by February, still a more-than-decent result though. Between retail and digital, I'm still expecting it to reach 300,000 copies sold in the future, just slower than what I hoped. I'd also say that, unfortunately, this is another case where Wii U's installed base affects negatively sales possibilities, we can see it even with major and big successes on the platform, that could've been much bigger on a more successful platform. However, it's not a high-budget project (the team itself said it) and Monolith is already working on the next game, so Nintendo doesn't seem disappointed.

John, could you reveal how much Bayonetta 2 sold in February thanks to the re-release? And its current LTD, by any chanche? At least one of the two :p Thanks anyway for your contribution.

FCP ~ 363 (4 ~ 56.8%)
NARUTO ~ 287 288 (4 ~ 2/3)
DIGIMON ~ 64
PVZ2 ~ 117 (1 ~ 59.5%)

Very good for Far Cry Primal, Naruto is surprising, Digimon did GREAT, while Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 is mediocre, I had a feeling about it though. Thanks as always cream.

FCP ~ 363 (4 ~ 56.8%)
DIGIMON ~ 64
PVZ2 ~ 117 (1 ~ 59.5%)

Thank you very much for the numbers Cream.

Good to know my prediction of FCP>FC4 was true, that franchise is mega to the casuals now.

That PVZ2 number doesn't seem great for EA's behemoth sales ideology.
Maybe the game was cheap to produce so those sales are more than fine?

People were expecting 100k+ for Digimon in the predictions thread and interest in the gaming community was quite big so 64k units at retail is not that surprising. Well, at least 1 PS4 jRPGs selling ok-ish.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
People were expecting 100k+ for Digimon and interest in the gaming community was quite big so 64k units at retail is not that surprising. Well, at least 1 PS4 jRPGs selling ok-ish.

Come on now, Digimon did great considering the current state of the franchise in US, how it came to be and what Namco expected it to sell WW. I know people here thought it could've been in February's top 10(...how exactly), but you shouldn't let your judgment be too clouded by what others expect something to sell. And it's the second JRPG / more Japanese title for PS4 where we can say that without any problem (the other being, in a very bizarre turn of events, Disgaea 5), while DQH (not a traditional RPG) flopped and Zestiria was disappointing (PC release could've had an influence, though), just to name games released at the end of last year.

I didn't buy Digimon because it didn't have English VA, maybe now that Bamco is looking at the sales numbers, they'll do VA for the next Digimon game, which I'll buy if it does.

Really? Great news! Then I might get it. I hate dubbed games/movies/anything, they're ruining everything.

fernoca

Xenoblade X at 235k is awfully low. Not that is a bad number but as I mentioned earlier, the game debuted with a bit over 200k and how while the genre is a bit front loaded, it should've been close to 300k by now.

But selling around 35k in 2 months more than front loaded was a complete collapse. If it follows that trend it might reach 300k by the end if the year, but still...really weird.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Remember that XenoBlade December NPD was 5 weeks of sales...And those were HOLIDAYS weeks.

I'm not surprised by this massive drop, honestly i expect even worse.

Microsoft PR is the best. They legitimately sound like a politician struggling to stay on message in a debate or an interview, awkwardly repeating their motto over and over no matter how it sounds.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
UK sales

The Division < 332,000

PS4 < 179,280
XB1 < 149,400
PC < 3,320

For a comparation, Watch Dogs did 388,000 First week.
So, as expect, in UK The Division didn't break The insane Watch Dogs Level of success, and in Italy / Europe The difference is most likely even bigger.

But we know WW The Division Sold More First day. Expect USA Sales to be waaaaaaaaay bigger for The Division.

Kathian

Banned
Expect PC sales to have been bigger than Watch Dogs which makes sense considering the genre and the availability of a BETA.

creamsugar

One more this month:
UECn65q.png

HGH

Banned
Oh a new chart, thanks a ton cream!
FCP ~ 363 (4 ~ 56.8%)
DIGIMON ~ 64
PVZ2 ~ 117 (1 ~ 59.5%)
Happy for Digimon as well. For whatever it counts, it was #1 on Vita digital downloads too.
And wow at Naruto. I'm glad CC2 is getting some well deserved love. Guess Nep VII did 10K or something. Eh.

But damn, I only just saw the PXZ2 numbers. What the heck. The first game did over half a million with most sales coming from the overseas release. Now this release can barely even contend with that, and the Japanese sales barely got to 60K... That's an absurd drop. I guess people got burned by the first one + FE competition was too tough?

I saw some people asking about Cold Steel's numbers early on. Since XSEED recently released a figure that all three Trails games released by them did a combined total of 350K, and around 200K of those are on Steam, I think it's possible to guesstimate Cold Steel's performance? Since Trails FC on PSP was a financial failure, and Trails SC on PSP/Vita wasn't likely to do that much more. wouldn't 70/80K be a good ballpark figure for Cold Steel?

Trup1aya

UK sales

The Division < 332,000

PS4 < 179,280
XB1 < 149,400
PC < 3,320

So, as expect, in UK The Division didn't break The insane Watch Dogs Level of success, and in Italy / Europe The difference is most likely even bigger.

But we know WW The Division Sold More First day. Expect USA Sales to be waaaaaaaaay bigger for The Division.

I still find UK division sales impressive. It's fairly close to matching watch dogs launch, but without the benefit of holiday hype.

It will also likely have much better legs.

RalchAC

Oh a new chart, thanks a ton cream!

Happy for Digimon as well. For whatever it counts, it was #1 on Vita digital downloads too.
And wow at Naruto. I'm glad CC2 is getting some well deserved love. Guess Nep VII did 10K or something. Eh.

But damn, I only just saw the PXZ2 numbers. What the heck. The first game did over half a million with most sales coming from the overseas release. Now this release can barely even contend with that, and the Japanese sales barely got to 60K... That's an absurd drop. I guess people got burned by the first one + FE competition was too tough?

I saw some people asking about Cold Steel's numbers early on. Since XSEED recently released a figure that all three Trails games released by them did a combined total of 350K, and around 200K of those are on Steam, I think it's possible to guesstimate Cold Steel's performance? Since Trails FC on PSP was a financial failure, and Trails SC on PSP/Vita wasn't likely to do that much more. wouldn't 70/80K be a good ballpark figure for Cold Steel?

That's Plants vs Zombies, not Project X Zone

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Now we just Need to know all months what is The LT Gap between PS4 / XB1, ans with The New Cream Graph we will always have numbers for all 5 console.

I think The Best part is that we finally know Vita numbers.

Those are pretty good Digimon numbers.

Nice results for Digimon and PvZ.

A 80.6k gap between Naruto and SFV would mean SFV is ~206/207k, and Naruto PS4 is ~192k. Both are pretty close.

With digital Naruto PS4 could be higher than SFV PS4 xD
There were doubts that Naruto would be able to get near 200k. Nice to see the final Storm game get such success.

Vena

Come on now, Digimon did great considering the current state of the franchise in US, how it came to be and what Namco expected it to sell WW. I know people here thought it could've been in February's top 10(...how exactly), but you shouldn't let your judgment be too clouded by what others expect something to sell. And it's the second JRPG / more Japanese title for PS4 where we can say that without any problem (the other being, in a very bizarre turn of events, Disgaea 5), while DQH (not a traditional RPG) flopped and Zestiria was disappointing (PC release could've had an influence, though), just to name games released at the end of last year.

I'd sooner look to what Cyber Sleuth was emulating, more than what the general state of the brand of Digimon is in the West. This is Adventure 01 nostalgia, which is what a lot of now early-to-mid adult console goers would have grown up with, and the game would have found a resonance with. Couple that with good word of mouth and publicity from the petition, a good game, and a two platform release (with the Vita audience being very active) and you get good numbers.

All in all a good result even if some predictions were stratospherically unrealistic.

Alo0oy

Banned
UK sales

The Division < 332,000

PS4 < 179,280
XB1 < 149,400
PC < 3,320

Better Worldwide sales doesn't mean better US sales, there's a lot more than just UK and the US (not to mention the PC version doing better than Watch Dogs).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i don't think it matters as far as becoming a sales leader in the us in its launch month, but i had assumed they would offer different form factors on day one to push that concept accordingly.

going forward, the 'nx ecosystem/family of systems' is the only platform that will matter to them, but i don't know how they maximize that by not doing two things at once. if they had to choose between one or the other, i think doing a handheld first is putting their best foot forward, but it risks making the console version looking like a ps tv. replacing the wii u probably makes a lot more sense in the us, especially with zelda, but it's also the replacement to the wii u and putting that out first might damage the impression of a handheld version.

if they have both come out at the same time, the idea is there from day one. anything that happens with regards to preferences of a platform can't be pinned on marketing or timing. it will be consumers choosing what they want, and nintendo can then focus on what different markets like. i feel that they wound up using the 3ds as a test run for a lot of those ideas.

I'm not interested in who will win November. I mean don't you think releasing them at the same time will detract from sales of both? I can't justify 500 on both form factors but if they were staggered I might get both. Allowing people to self select and then buy one later might counter effect that but it also might not.

allan-bh

Apparently SF V managed to outsell Far Cry Primal PS4 by ~1k. (207k vs. 206k).

For SF V number I'm using 287.5k for Naruto (cream said 287-288) and the 80.6k diff.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Better Worldwide sales doesn't mean better US sales, there's a lot more than just UK and the US (not to mention the PC version doing better than Watch Dogs).

And You surely missed The part where i Said " in Italy / Europe The Situation is most likely even worse".

I already Said This in The prediction Thread. Watch Dogs in Europe is The bigger new IP ever, not even Destiny beated it.

But i Can agree about The PC Version... We will See.

Alo0oy

Banned
And You surely missed The part where i Said " in Italy / Europe The Situation is most likely even worse".

I already Said This in The prediction Thread. Watch Dogs in Europe is The bigger new IP ever, not even Destiny beated it.

But i Can agree about The PC Version... We will See.

I think it will do better than Watch Dogs, I just don't think it can touch Destiny, which had a high profile bundle, and it was the most popular genre in the US.

Top Bottom