• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2007

Wonderdave said:
So, in a way, the PS3 has already sold you an HDTV?

Out of curiousity, if a game comes out for the PS3 you like why wouldn't you get it then, aside from resolution everything will be the same.

well, if you're spending 600+ dollars on a ps3 and game, you best already have a hdtv. If you dont, that $600+ would be better sent on the tv instead of the ps3.

Brak

Tabris said:
Things are getting back to normal now. I'm hoping they run side by side in the NA market.
Even if the DS wasn't supply restricted, you must realize that Pokemon is coming out in a couple months.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Haha, Tabris is back? He's just extended this thread another 10 pages, at LEAST. :lol

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wonderdave said:
So, in a way, the PS3 has already sold you an HDTV?

Out of curiousity, if a game comes out for the PS3 you like why wouldn't you get it then, aside from resolution everything will be the same.

Actually no. I've known I'd get a HDTV for a while. I have no idea when, but it'll be one day. I assume I'll own a PS3 one day too, but it won't be till after I have an HDTV. The purchase of a PS3 is dependent on my purchase of an HDTV. And no, I personally would not buy a PS3 with my current TV no matter the game, it'd be a waste of 700 bucks (PS3 + game + tax) to me.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
mylilbuddy said:
well, if you're spending 600+ dollars on a ps3 and game, you best already have a hdtv. If you dont, that $600+ would be better sent on the tv instead of the ps3.

me playing resistance for 20 hours on my SDTV over the past weekend begs to differ.

Chiggs

davepoobond said:
me playing resistance for 20 hours on my SDTV over the past weekend begs to differ.

I can't even imagine what this must look like. Resistance is a nice-looking game, but not in SDTV.

Pud said:
Look out for EB's new ad (made in MS paint, this time):
ebwiien5.jpg

They'll only give you $90 for the Goldstar model, though... :)

VE3D has top 10s for all the major consoles up, as usual... (and also as usual, no handheld console top 10 lists or handheld games in the top 20 are included. Oh well, it's still interesting.) I think these haven't been posted here yet, at least...

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/766/766464p1.html
The Best Selling Console Games of January
February 21, 2007 - A comprehensive rundown of the best selling console games in the U.S., in January:

Xbox 360:

1) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Capcom
2) Gears of War - Microsoft
3) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas - Ubisoft
4) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Collector's Edition - Capcom
5) Call of Duty 3 - Activision
6) Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts
7) Need For Speed: Carbon - Electronic Arts
8) NCAA March Madness 07 - Electronic Arts
9) Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Activision
10) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Take 2

Playstation 3:

1) Resistance: Fall of Man - Sony Computer Entertainment
2) Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts
3) Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts
4) Call of Duty 3 - Activision
5) Need For Speed: Carbon - Electronic Arts
6) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision
7) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 - Electronic Arts
8) NBA 2K7 - 2K Games
9) NBA 07 - Sony Computer Entertainment
10) Blazing Angels: Squadrons of World War II - Ubisoft

Nintendo Wii:

1) WarioWare: Smooth Moves - Nintendo
2) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nintendo
3) Rayman Raving Rabbids - Ubisoft
4) Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts
5) Red Steel - Ubisoft
6) Call of Duty 3 - Activision
7) Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - Sega
8) Excite Truck - Nintendo
9) Trauma Center: Second Opinion - Atlus
10) Elebits - Konami

Xbox:

1) Halo 2 - Microsoft
3) Need For Speed: Carbon - Electronic Arts
4) Call of Duty 3 - Activision
5) Mortal Kombat: Armageddon - Midway
6) Scarface: The World Is Yours - Vivendi
7) LEGO: Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - LucasArts
8) Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Activision
9) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision
10) NBA Live 07 - Electronic Arts

Playstation 2:

1) Guitar Hero 2 With Guitar - Activision
3) WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2007 - THQ
4) Final Fantasy XII - Square Enix Inc.
5) Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol (Microphone Included) - Konami
6) Need For Speed: Carbon - Electronic Arts
7) DDR Super Nova Bundle - Konami
8) Guitar Hero 2 - Activision
9) Call of Duty 3 - Activision
10) Bully - Rockstar Games

GameCube:

1) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nintendo
2) Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2 - D3 Publisher Of America
3) LEGO: Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - LucasArts
4) Super Smash Brothers Melee - Nintendo
5) LEGO: Star Wars - LucasArts
6) Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts
7) Mario Kart: Double Dash - Nintendo
8) Cars - THQ
9) Super Mario Strikers - Nintendo
10) Need For Speed: Carbon - Electronic Arts

Overall Top 20:

1) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Xbox 360 - Capcom
2) Guitar Hero 2 With Guitar - Playstation 2 - Activision
3) Gears of War - Xbox 360 - Microsoft
4) WarioWare: Smooth Moves - Nintendo Wii - Nintendo
5) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nintendo Wii - Nintendo
6) Resistance: Fall of Man - Playstation 3 - Sony Computer Entertainment
7) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas - Xbox 360 - Ubisoft
8) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - GameCube - Nintendo
9) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Collector's Edition - Xbox 360 - Capcom
10) Call of Duty 3 - Xbox 360 - Activision
11) Madden NFL 07 - Playstation 2 - Electronic Arts
12) Madden NFL 07 - Playstation 3 - Electronic Arts
13) Rayman Raving Rabbids - Nintendo Wii - Ubisoft
14) WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2007 - Playstation 2 - THQ
15) Final Fantasy XII - Playstation 2 - Square Enix Inc.
16) Madden NFL 07 - Xbox 360 - Electronic Arts
17) Fight Night Round 3 - Playstation 3 - Electronic Arts
18) Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol (Microphone Included) - Playstation 2 - Konami
19) Call of Duty 3 - Playstation 3 - Activision
20) Madden NFL 07 - Nintendo Wii - Electronic Arts

Pretty dull chart this month so no interesting stats to be had (Lost Planet beat out GH2 by a couple million bucks for the top spot). As for hardware, here's how that went down:

Wii: 435,503 units
PS2: 299,352 units
360: 294,000 units
PS3: 243,554 units
NDS: 239,000 units
PSP: 211,000 units
GBA: 179,000 units

Treo360

Chiggs said:
I can't even imagine what this must look like. Resistance is a nice-looking game, but not in SDTV.

I played it in SD (before I found out that the ps3 couldn't output 1080i with 720p games) surprisingly there wasn't that much of a difference to me.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Actually no. I've known I'd get a HDTV for a while. I have no idea when, but it'll be one day. I assume I'll own a PS3 one day too, but it won't be till after I have an HDTV. The purchase of a PS3 is dependent on my purchase of an HDTV. And no, I personally would not buy a PS3 with my current TV no matter the game, it'd be a waste of 700 bucks (PS3 + game + tax) to me.
If you say that the PS3 will have no bearing on when or why you purchase an HDTV I'll take your word. Again, I say that for some early adopters, a group from which you disinclude yourself, the HD experience is essential and for others owning a PS3 will bring them to consider buying an HDTV sooner than otherwise. I'm not making that big a claim but there's no need to downplay the PS3 as one factor among others that will drive early HDTV adoption.

I know that sometimes it seems that we talk too much about sales on these furoms but the PS3 works fine with SD, It's not the whole enchilada but If your genuinely interested in a PS3 and price isn't a huge factor getting an HDTV first isn't that big a deal. Gameplay>Graphics and all that.

davepoobond

Chiggs said:

game looks great. i've played Gears of War on a sdtv as well as an hdtv -- of course it looks better at a higher resolution, but image quality in games has never really been about that imo. less jaggies and lighting are still very apparent on a SDTV, and the effort put into the graphics show no matter what display you use.

Chiggs

Interesting comments about Resistance managing to impress even in SDTV. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by HDTV. Although, if I manage to find a Wii in the next few days, I'll have to do without it. HD is just so ****ing beautiful, especially when you've invested in a high quality television.

Branduil

Xbox 360:

1) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition - Capcom
2) Gears of War - Microsoft
3) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas - Ubisoft
4) Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Collector's Edition - Capcom
5) Call of Duty 3 - Activision

Wow. I think shooters will always sell well on the 360.

Nintendo Wii:

1) WarioWare: Smooth Moves - Nintendo
2) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nintendo
3) Rayman Raving Rabbids - Ubisoft
4) Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts
5) Red Steel - Ubisoft
6) Call of Duty 3 - Activision
7) Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - Sega
8) Excite Truck - Nintendo
9) Trauma Center: Second Opinion - Atlus
10) Elebits - Konami

Trauma Center is doing decently.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wonderdave said:
If you say that the PS3 will have no bearing on when or why you purchase an HDTV I'll take your word. Again, I say that for some early adopters, a group from which you disinclude yourself, the HD experience is essential and for others owning a PS3 will bring them to consider buying an HDTV sooner than otherwise. I'm not making that big a claim but there's no need to downplay the PS3 as one factor among others that will drive early HDTV adoption.

But that's actually is what I'm saying. I really don't think the PS3 will be significant in driving HDTV adoption. I'm not saying nonexistent, just unimportant (and more significantly the other way around). We disagree. We'll just have to wait and see.

davepoobond

Chiggs said:
Interesting comments about Resistance managing to impress even in SDTV. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by HDTV. Although, if I manage to find a Wii in the next few days, I'll have to do without it. HD is just so ****ing beautiful, especially when you've invested in a high quality television.

don't misread me though, HD is definitely superior when it really comes down to it, but there is still worth in getting an HD console for a SDTV.

Fuzzy said:
Too bad it's sorted by revenue.

True, but with the exact numbers banned from here other than what NPD allows, all we can do is post what major sites have released... the lists VE3D puts up are always sorted by revenue for some reason, I think.

mm04

GreenGlowingGoo said:
But that's actually is what I'm saying. I really don't think the PS3 will be significant in driving HDTV adoption. I'm not saying nonexistent, just unimportant (and more significantly the other way around). We disagree. We'll just have to wait and see.

I agree with you 100%. To say that the console will drive the purchase of the HDTV is pretty far fetched. It may be one of many contributing factors, but it is rarely the case that the lesser priced (and in some cases significantly less depending on the tv you buy) item drives the sales of the more expensive one. I can even believe that it would for a very small and select group of people, but in no way would be a significant amount. That's like buying a really nice dress shirt first and buying a $1000 suit around it. For most the suit comes first, then comes the shirt. If you're one of the people who will buy a new HDTV because you're going to buy a game console then you are definitely in the minority. Hell, people are having issue with the price of just the console on its own, let alone adding a tv which may cost upwards of 4 to 5 times the cost of the console.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
VALIS said:
Seriously. Capcom + 360 = 500,000 sold min.

But they did spend 20 million advertising...

But, yeah. I agree. Hopefully they'll bring more titles to the 360.

(btw, I'm doing this from my shiny, new Wii!).

lix2k3

Wow...360 is shooter heaven. Besides Madden, all of the top 360 games are shooters. No wonder Viva Pinata bomba..... MS better hope that they can scoop up some non-hardcore gamers along the way or it's going to be a repeat of last-gen.

bud

sonycowboy or evilore said that they would get a top 15 (don't know if it was overall or per console), what happened to that?

unomas

Banned
lix2k3 said:
Wow...360 is shooter heaven. Besides Madden, all of the top 360 games are shooters. No wonder Viva Pinata bomba..... MS better hope that they can scoop up some non-hardcore gamers along the way or it's going to be a repeat of last-gen.

I see the point, but 360 is now outpacing the original Xbox in overall sales in United States with a pricepoint thats double that of the original. Guitar Hero 2 and Grand Theft Auto are on the way, that should certainly help diversify the gamer group.

lix2k3

unomas said:
I see the point, but 360 is now outpacing the original Xbox in overall sales in United States with a pricepoint thats double that of the original. Guitar Hero 2 and Grand Theft Auto are on the way, that should certainly help diversify the gamer group.

Guitar Hero 2 will probably do wonders... That is, if it's not also coming out for Wii and PS3. GTA will help a great deal...it is still a ways off though (about 7 months). I forgt about DDR, that should help too. The bigger deal though is that despite buying Rare, MS is still struggling with their own non-hardcore franchises, such as Viva, Kameo, Fuzion Frenzy...they all basically bomba. I guess Kameo was the best (selling) of the bunch, and their racing franchises always do well. But, I honestly think they need these types of games to do better for them if they want to WIN this generation. Trust me, they'll survive with the Halos and Gears just by themselves. But, winning will definitely take more than 10 different variation of shooters.

lix2k3 said:

more like Sci-Fi heaven.. there is plenty of non-shooter/minimal shooting fair that has released and is coming down the pipe, but almost all of it is pretty heavy with sci-fi themes. awesome for me since things like LP and EDF sold me on the thing, but i can see how it can be discouraging for some people. that said, looks like MS and third-parties are doing just fine with their "narrow" userbase.

lix2k3 said:

Because only hardcore gamers play Halo? Because only hardcore gamers played Goldeneye?

Shooters ARE mainstream.

Xeke

Banned
Tabris said:
Things are getting back to normal now. I'm hoping they run side by side in the NA market.

You're right, I thought Nintendo was shipping too many DS's in december.

vasuba

Banned
mmlemay said:
Because only hardcore gamers play Halo? Because only hardcore gamers played Goldeneye?

Shooters ARE mainstream.

Your right about that. My Uncle is the COO of a Major Korean Architectural Firm so would definetly fall into the non normal gamer but he loves his WWII Shooters that and he has an unhealthy obsession with the rabbids of rayman but eh

Neomoto

Xbox 360 294k, 4.8mm

Huh? I thought it was way above that after 1,5 year... ww sales are less than 7.5 mill. I think if that's the case, and if it is Wii sales worldwide will fly past that number in a heartbeat.. But, in all fairness, it makes software sales (especially Gears or War) more impressive though.

Great overal software sales though. I just noticed Zelda combined would be number 1 (but Lost Planet had a director's cut witch sold pretty well too right?) :) PS3 software sales seems to be blowing Japan's numbers out of the water (could still be a lot better though). And while I know the gamecube hasn't got much to show for these days, I think it's ****ing awesome that the 'dead failed console' can still have a game for two months now right up there (even though it's being outsold by the Wii version). :)

Top Bottom