• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

I have to say the 3DS could be in some trouble also..

They have an extremely weak Q1, no doubt. They used most of their big guns in 2013 and 2014 mostly feels like leftovers so far.

Hard to even see where they'd go now with game releases. In terms of traditional handheld moneymakers, there's very few big games that they could push in the west that they haven't already.

dolemite

Any theories as to how/why ps3 was able outsell the 360 this month? New PS4 owners picking up ps3 to make full use of ps+? The Last of Us and Gran Turismo pushing consoles?

Both numbers are damn low. Now we're talking about bit noise level differences. A local promo by a single store chain can easily account for the difference.

It wasn't that good at the beginning of 2013, either. Weekly sales are down for around 17%.
But this is post-bargain SKU and post-Pokemon.

I think jvm noted in an article the diminishing impact of releasing any further revisions as well...

What have they got left to shore up sales?

They have an extremely weak Q1, no doubt. They used most of their big guns in 2013 and 2014 mostly feels like leftovers so far.

Hard to even see where they'd go now with game releases. In terms of traditional handheld moneymakers, there's very few big games that they could push in the west that they haven't already.

Next big guns are Smash Bros (not sure how that will go down on a handheld in the west)
Majora's Mask 3D (worst kept secret)
and Pokemon Z.
Not much to draw in a new crowd.

That assumes zero shipments since the end of December. Which I'm certain is not the case. There are probably over a million Bones shitting on shelves and in warehouses globally.

You think it's possible that MS might record negative shipment next Q? I admit I don't understand these things as well as I'd like.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I'm quite looking forward to Disney Magical Castle, especially if it's really 29.99 as suggested by Amazon. It could help the console doing on par with 2013 in April, at least (which, given how weekly sales are less than 20% down, doesn't mean that much, but still)

...And, of course, Bravely Default, still the best selling game on Amazon, still higher than Titanfall and which is seemingly destroying Lighting Returns. When I'll post my Amazon comparisons later today, you'll see.

RELIGHT

Banned
Hey guys, a serious question. Could the bad weather the US had in January have anything to do with the low sales? A good portion of the country were in subzero temperatures and snow for most of the month. Even the southern parts of the country like Florida and Texas were below freezing and snowy. Just curious.

I'm not even trying to parody JoeM86, I'm genuinely curious about this.

No I doubt it. The weather didn't start to get bad until February per use.

You think it's possible that MS might record negative shipment next Q? I admit I don't understand these things as well as I'd like.

At the current rate of sell through the retail channel will keep around 1.5-1.7m units available in stock on a global basis. No need for returns just yet. However, once the channel is saturated there will be a sharp slow down in shipments unless sales pick up (which I don't see as particularly likely).

Mpl90

But this is post-bargain SKU and post-Pokemon.

I think jvm noted in an article the diminishing impact of releasing any further revisions as well...

What have they got left to shore up sales?

I know, but it's also after what happened in December, when numbers were worse than 2012, even if, probably, not by that much...and it's reflected in weekly sales. I thought January could see a lower decline compared to other years due to December sales being limited by next gen, but it didn't happen (so wrong :lol ), because, despite one of them going all down, what's left of that + PS4 still captured enough people's money compared to the handheld. PS4 will continue doing that in the next months for sure, One in March when Titanfall comes (if it'll do as well as it's hyped).

I'm quite surprised there are still no news for a Ruby / Sapphire remake, that would make for a great Holiday 2014 release, and then next year Pokémon X2 / Y2.

Chobel

That assumes zero shipments since the end of December. Which I'm certain is not the case. There are probably over a million Bones shitting on shelves and in warehouses globally.

Yeah, you're right. I almost forgot that, MS aren't going to stop producing and shipping the bones.

Sandfox

I know, but it's also after what happened in December, when numbers were worse than 2012, even if, probably, not by that much...and it's reflected in weekly sales. I thought January could see a lower decline compared to other years due to December sales being limited by next gen, but it didn't happen (so wrong :lol ), because, despite one of them going all down, what's left of that + PS4 still captured enough people's money compared to the handheld. PS4 will continue doing that in the next months for sure, One in March when Titanfall comes (if it'll do as well as it's hyped).

I'm quite surprised there are still no news for a Ruby / Sapphire remake, that would make for a great Holiday 2014 release, and then next year Pokémon X2 / Y2.

I'm expecting Pokemon to skip this year.

legend166

So much for the whole 'PS3 and 360 will keep selling for years!' crowd.

I feel like we're going to see a lot of red in the upcoming financial reports.

Mpl90

I tried to tell them.
But honestly, Xbox 360 dropping like that is a real shock. I guess the primary shooterbox market is migrating fast.

It sold less than PS3 and...Wii U.
...Wii U.

That's shocking.

Yeah, I know the difference is in the 1,000 units ballpark...but still, shocking.

I really don't think the primary audiences for the PS4/XB1 and the 3DS really overlap that well, such that their launch is what's driving the decline in the 3DS.

I know it will probably upset people to say this but in Western markets I think the primary target for handhelds is children, and I think what's driving the loss of that audience is mobile.

liger05

So much for the whole 'PS3 and 360 will keep selling for years!' crowd.

I feel like we're going to see a lot of red in the upcoming financial reports.

Yep PS3 & 360 sales are going to get real low very very quickly

...Wii U.

That's shocking.

Yeah, I know the difference is in the 1,000 units ballpark...but still, shocking.

I would say its shocking that that the idea that an 7/8 year old platform being outsold by the Wii U is seen as a surprise. The Wii U should be blitzing the PS3 and 360 easily and the fact it isnt says more about that platform than the 360.

I tried to tell them.
But honestly, Xbox 360 dropping like that is a real shock. I guess the primary shooterbox market is migrating fast.

It is, and the one saving grace so far is that COD sold more on the Bone than PS4 despite the disparity in hardware sales. The Xbox brand is still very strong with shooter players, so that's something in their favour at least.

Miles X

February usually sees an uptick in sales, and March will be better than Jan and Feb for sure. They can easily sell 500k+ in US this Q (J:140, F:160, M:220) bringing them to 3.3 - 3.5m WW without Europe which is probably 200k~

They won't be shipping negative units.

Sandfox

It is, and the one saving grace so far is that COD sold more on the Bone than PS4 despite the disparity in hardware sales. The Xbox brand is still very strong with shooter players, so that's something in their favour at least.

Doesn't the Xbox get the DLC first? Assuming not much changes I'm curious to see if that's enough to keep Xbox CoD over PS4 CoD.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Seems the Xbox brand has taken a huge battering for 360 sales to have just dropped off a cliff. They may well have poisoned that well from now on.

Nintendo is in deep shit not just because WiiU is failing as it ever was, but now 3DS sales are dropping when their ultra cheap SKU is out there along with all the big guns of software. Oh and Wii Fit U totally failing paints an incredibly raised eyebrow on the bowing/praying man that is QOL.

Oh and hurrah at the predictable who's who on 'console industry is dying'.

DrWong

So, if the last gen consoles sales are anything to go with, the Wii should still be the best selling console for gen 7 even in a few years...?

...Wii U.

That's shocking.

What was the big Xbox 360 holiday exclusive title? Oh right, it didn't have any. What's on the horizon? Fable Anniversary, Project Spark and the recently launched World of Tanks? I don't know, I'm not really that surprised.

So, if the last gen consoles sales are anything to go with, the Wii should still be the best selling console for gen 7 even in a few years...?

It really depends on what Sony's plans for PS3 are. If they give it the final rumoured cost reduction and push it out to developing markets then there is still life in the old dog. If they don't bother then it's unlikely to overtake the Wii at this rate.

I think they will go with the first option, push a 60GB flash version out for the global equivalent price of $149 this Xmas and ramp up the casual titles like Singstar and Wonder Book for it with one final redesign.

EGOMON

Seeing how X360 numbers dropped like a rock and how PS4 doubling XBO numbers does that means 360 crowds are shifting to PS4 instead of XBO?

Bgamer90

Banned
Yep PS3 & 360 sales are going to get real low very very quickly

The sales of those consoles combined with the software sales means that it's time for a price drop on both of the systems.

I would say its shocking that that the idea that an 7/8 year old platform being outsold by the Wii U is seen as a surprise. The Wii U should be blitzing the PS3 and 360 easily and the fact it isnt says more about that platform than the 360.

100% agree.

Anyway, has there ever been a drop this low in console sales for a January in comparison to the December before it? I know things go down a lot after Xmas season bit this just seems really huge to me.

Bgamer90

Banned
Seeing how X360 numbers dropped like a rock and how PS4 doubling XBO numbers does that means 360 crowds are shifting to PS4 instead of XBO?

There's definitely a split. Some 360 owners are getting the Xbox One for the exclusive content not on the PS4.

Some 360 owners are getting a PS4 though since they only care about multiplats and the PS4 is the cheaper box to play them.

So is it time yet for the chalkboard?

Welp:
169.gif

Does anyone have a screenshot of when Microsoft's title said Xbox One game sales outsold all others?

AzaK

Ouch Wii U, ouch.

Please understand, we have solved the software drought and now third parties will come to Wii U. Enjoy DK soon, Mario Kart three months later and maybe another title toward the end of the year.

Why are people concerned about 360's number? The system is ancient.

SmokyDave

Damn at all those numbers.

Meanwhile the iPad sells how much ;)

Jk....sort of. If Apple took gaming seriously...
I'm starting to think that Apple are better off not taking gaming seriously. They're making out like bandits as it is. The 'traditional' sector doesn't look able to support the current entrants, let alone a new one.

I bet they're keeping a close eye on Amazon though.

liger05

Please understand, we have solved the software drought and now third parties will come to Wii U. Enjoy DK soon, Mario Kart three months later and maybe another title toward the end of the year.

Anyone think Iwata and Reggie looked at the Wii U Fit sales and are wondering 'what happened?'

Bgamer90

Banned
Plus....ya know....they all look and run better on PS4. That was just as big of a deal to me as the cheaper price.

I heard FIFA was exactly the same on both :p

But to be honest, I think things would mostly be the same even if the PS4 didn't have an advantage for multiplats due to cheaper price + releasing at the same time as the competition.

Complete spectrum of NPD hardware sales estimates:

PS4: 271K
XB1: 141K
3DS: ~97K
PS3: ~53.5K
Wii U: 49K
360: ~48.5K
Vita: <17K

Translation:

PS4: Doing well
XB1: Worrisome
3DS: Dying
PS3: Dead
WiiU: Dead
360: Dead
Vita: Funeral was held years ago move on

tumblr_mqrjf4KKdT1qdsm1jo3_250.gif

PS4 cannot save the industry by itself. Whats the 1% figure people are throwing around? If thats true then things are not looking bad at all but quite good considering the big money pubs are making with DLC.

Top Bottom