• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

Well, Since the two older consoles are still pretty expensive for an impulse buy scenario even when their supposed successors are already here I am not exactly suprised with their massive drop in sales.

StoopKid

The PS4s that came in stock on Amazon yesterday are already sold out again. Thirst is still real. They got in over 1,000. http://amzn.com/B00BGA9WK2 I don't think consoles are hurting as a whole. The issue is overpriced last gen consoles. PS4 sold every unit that came out in January and is continually sold out nationwide. That's without a major compelling title out yet...

The thirst is real.

Anth0ny

i imagine a lot of crossgen ports are getting canned right quick.

2015 should see the last of the ps3 games. stuff like persona 5 and other straggler rpgs. i can't imagine the phantom pain gets a ps360 release unless konami's desperate for every last cent.

even more so, I'm hoping a lot of last gen stuff are getting next gen ports prepared.

Dark Souls II dying a painful death would be a damn shame.

8 out of the top 10 selling games are on ps4. Seems like it has plenty of compelling games for most people

It has some great titles like Battlefield 4, Black Flag, and Resogun, but that must have next gen title isn't out yet and won't be until atleast Fall 2014. Sony needs to do something like a $149 PS3 with 2 years of PS+ required or something along those lines to get units moving for them for last gen sales.

Square2015

Is M$ more successful in the South? I'd like to see a US regional break down.
I'd guess it leans:
(Just for fun)

Northeast: Sony land
Midwest: Nintendo land
Teh South: M$ land
The West: Sony land

But then again it could be quite even.

HooYaH

Is M$ more successful in the South? I'd like to see a US regional break down.
I'd guess it leans:
(Just for fun)

Northeast: Sony land
Midwest: Sony land
Teh South: M$ land
The West: Sony land
US Virgin Islands: Nintendo land

But then again it could be quite even.

Fixed

Tabular

Banned
EA games. Just because Milli Vanilli sold tons of record it doesn't make them good.

There will be awesome games for the PS4 one day. Just not yet.

As far as launch (and launch window) games go; it's got a very impressive lineup. Game rankings will back me up on this too. But ya, no killer app yet.

3DS sales are fine.

The contraction in the handheld market on the Nintendo side is because of things like pricing
I'm not really sure how one can consider the 3DS fine and that this is due to pricing. These sales, when it's not even 3 years old and just released its biggest franchise are quite terrible, and pricing being the culprit ignores that they also just released an $129 SKU.

I'd say it's showing signs of saturation already, having only sold about 11.6M units, which really implies a reduction beyond just the loss of the "casual" market, i.e. in the primary market for handhelds in the West - children and young teens.

DieH@rd

Banned
Didn't expect this in the US, or at least not this soon.

But I'm sure Xbone is doing fine in the rest of the world.

app.gif

It has some great titles like Battlefield 4, Black Flag, and Resogun, but that must have next gen title isn't out yet and won't be until atleast Fall 2014. Sony needs to do something like a $149 PS3 with 2 years of PS+ required or something along those lines to get units moving for them for last gen sales.

BF4 was an absolute must have for me after playing that abysmal looking ps3 beta. Needless to say the launch day crashes were a huge bummer

How in the world is the PS4 out of stock again on Amazon.com? We are in mid February.

Selling every unit they ship. Demand is there. No stock within 50 miles of me at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or within 100 miles of me at Gamestop according to their online store availability.

even more so, I'm hoping a lot of last gen stuff are getting next gen ports prepared.

Dark Souls II dying a painful death would be a damn shame.

I'm just as hyped for DS2 as anyone else but in reality anyone releasing on last gen only in 2014 deserves any bomba they get. It's not like there's a shortage of games coming out in March or anything and people are sick of the old busted consoles. The sooner PS360 die off the better.

TheDude711

Neo Member
Both consoles are doing awesome which is great for the industry. More console sales = more games overall.
Congrats to Sony though for the months #1 sales, now let's see those updates for dlna and mp3 and more apps while game devs bring great games to ps4.

Bgamer90

Banned
Didn't expect this in the US, or at least not this soon.

But I'm sure Xbone is doing fine in the rest of the world.

If anything, it would make more sense for you to say that the Xbox One is doing fine in America considering that the Xbox One is around 1.95M while the PS4 is around 2.20M in overall NA sales. The Xbox One would more than likely be higher than the PS4 in NA sales if it was the same price or cheaper.

Don't think it's doing all that well in territories in which the Xbox brand isn't that popular (i.e.: many other places around the world).

If anything, it would make more sense for you to say that the Xbox One is doing fine in America considering that the Xbox One is around 195K while the PS4 is around 220K in overall NA sales. The Xbox One would more than likely be higher than the PS4 in NA sales if it was the same price or cheaper.

Don't think it's doing all that well in territories in which the Xbox brand isn't that popular (i.e.: many other places around the world).

huh?

Yaoibot

$500-$600 PS3.

Pretty sure very few of the early adopters picked up the 20GB SKU. If you're going to buy bleeding-edge, you bleed, money. Thing didn't even have wifi (not that any internet based PC or console should use that for gaming anyhow) and they pulled it off the market pretty fast, no?

A_Gorilla

Banned
Selling every unit they ship. Demand is there. No stock within 50 miles of me at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or within 100 miles of me at Gamestop according to their online store availability.

Similar situation with me. Closet store that has one is 60 miles away.

Now here is the question:

Is this a result of supply issues due to the imminent Japan launch, proof that the Thirst still exists, or a combinations of the two?

Sandfox

If anything, it would make more sense for you to say that the Xbox One is doing fine in America considering that the Xbox One is around 1.95M while the PS4 is around 2.20M in overall NA sales. The Xbox One would more than likely be higher than the PS4 in NA sales if it was the same price or cheaper.

The PS4 is probably going to start pulling away once the stock issues are dealt with.

Yaoibot

If the 3DS is on the way down, we have a big big problem if we like games with buttons.

3DS is a niche and antiquated concept in a connected age. Nintendo's dirt for diamonds hardware model and refusal to move with trends or pricing is their own, well-deserved grave. Death is a part of natural evolution: survival of the fittest and all. Samsung, Apple and Google are all working on controllers. As much as I adore my Vita, I accept it is the last of its kind. And why get upset about that, I'm sure that the Vita library - the software, the most important part - will end up on PS Now in the future (we won't see another PSPish thing in the form we know it now - that is certain). Games with buttons will be around for generations to come. The devices that they are attached to will be more unconventional than traditional gamers are used to though. Personally, I don't need 100 devices, so the more we head towards a convergence of services and technology, the happier I am. I think people fearing the "death" of the industry are glass half empty sorts. I don't see a death on the horizon, just a shift in how we receive our content. There will always be games catered to people who spend and play the most: AAA games. But the ecosystems and delivery of such content is in flux. Accept change, embrace it, and suddenly the future isn't so scary anymore.

Bgamer90

Banned
The PS4 is probably going to start pulling away once the stock issues are dealt with.

I honestly think it's going to stay ahead as long as the system is $100 less.

Don't think there will be an almost 2:1 lead within future months that have major games on both consoles though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
3DS is a niche and antiquated concept in a connected age. Nintendo's dirt for diamonds hardware model and refusal to move with trends or pricing is their own, well-deserved grave. Death is a part of natural evolution: survival of the fittest and all. Samsung, Apple and Google are all working on controllers. As much as I adore my Vita, I accept it is the last of its kind. And why get upset about that, I'm sure that the Vita library - the software, the most important part - will end up on PS Now in the future (we won't see another PSPish thing in the form we know it now - that is certain). Games with buttons will be around for generations to come. The devices that they are attached to will be more unconventional than traditional gamers are used to though. Personally, I don't need 100 devices, so the more we head towards a convergence of services and technology, the happier I am. I think people fearing the "death" of the industry are glass half empty sorts. I don't see a death on the horizon, just a shift in how we receive our content. There will always be games catered to people who spend and play the most: AAA games. But the ecosystems and delivery of such content is in flux. Accept change, embrace it, and suddenly the future isn't so scary anymore.

So if I hate digital distribution and want my games on dedicated systems only, your advice is to "embrace" a change that turns games into something I don't want? It's like you were saying "embrace war and it will not be scary anymore". I don't think this is how it works.

heidern

I'm not really sure how one can consider the 3DS fine and that this is due to pricing. These sales, when it's not even 3 years old and just released its biggest franchise are quite terrible, and pricing being the culprit ignores that they also just released an $129 SKU.

1) DS hardware sales only declined 16% compared to last year. Software sales increased 6%.
2) The DS has not had a price cut for two and a half years thus saturating the current pricepoint. In fact the good sales in November 770K(up from 540K in November 2012) followed by a relatively weak December ~1M(down from 1.25M in December 2012) suggests even more that there was a saturation of the price point.
3) The $129 SKU is a gimped SKU and although lower in price is not higher in value. A $149 3DS and a $99 2DS would mean an increase in value proposition and increase sales.

Are you're really suggesting that if the 3DS was cut to $149 there would be no increase in sales? It would not just benefit from a price cut of 13% but also from crossing the $150 psychological barrier.

1) DS hardware sales only declined 16% compared to last year. Software sales increased 6%.
2) The DS has not had a price cut for two and a half years thus saturating the current pricepoint. In fact the good sales in November 770K(up from 540K in November 2012) followed by a relatively weak December ~1M(down from 1.25M in December 2012) suggests even more that there was a saturation of the price point.
3) The $129 SKU is a gimped SKU and although lower in price is not higher in value. A $149 3DS and a $99 2DS would mean an increase in value proposition and increase sales.

Are you're really suggesting that if the 3DS was cut to $149 there would be no increase in sales? It would not just benefit from a price cut of 13% but also from crossing the $150 psychological barrier.
It's a 16% decline from what was already a bad number for a two year old system. One should hope software sales would increase at least 6% with 51% more potential consumers on what's supposed to be a platform in its prime.

97K is less than half of what the PSP did in its 35th month; the also-ran handheld considered largely irrelevant for most of last gen in the US market. It's tracking only a million ahead of the PSP and will in all likely hood cross streams with it this year at the current rate.

I don't really think the primary market for handheld systems in the US knows what gimp means, let alone views the cheaper SKU as such. I don't think the parents buying the systems for them do either.

I'm not suggesting that a price cut won't increase sales, they generally do to some degree, although as price cuts go I doubt a $20 drop is going to do much. The $150 psychological barrier was already crossed by the 2DS, that was the whole point of the SKU.
I think there are ten different estimates for the 3DS number, have we agreed to what the actual Jan. NPD 2014 number is for 3DS? The range appears to be between 50k and 130k.
A whopping 97K.

dolemite

I think there are ten different estimates for the 3DS number, have we agreed to what the actual Jan. NPD 2014 number is for 3DS? The range appears to be between 50k and 130k.

If Microsoft go for a 50 buck price cut to go with Titanfall, I think a lot more people would be ready to swing it.

(selfishly hopes the right people see this and it magically plants a seed)

Yaoibot

So if I hate digital distribution and want my games on dedicated systems only, your advice is to "embrace" a change that turns games into something I don't want? It's like you were saying "embrace war and it will not be scary anymore". I don't think this is how it works.

Yes, because the atrocity of war and the choice - the struggle, as you would paint it - between purchasing a piece of software in digital or physical format are directly comparable. Holy hyperbole Batman. Maybe next we can have some Hitler and Lady Gaga parallels drawn by your masterful mind.

dolemite

So it looks like all the systems that were in ample supply dropped by about the same ridiculous percentage. PS4 got saved by the people who wanted to buy one for Christmas, couldn't get one, and were determined to get one in January.

gtj1092

So is it possible xone sales were less than 300k worldwide in January? Considering during the holidays the US made up around 2/3 of sales. Even if the percentage dropped to a more even 50/50 split that's only 280k xones sold worldwide. The sales gap must be nearing 2 million even pre Japanese launch.

heidern

It's a 16% decline from what was already a bad number for a two year old system. One should hope software sales would increase at least 6% with 51% more potential consumers on what's supposed to be a platform in its prime.
The 3DS is around 40M worldwide. Those are good numbers. They're not DS style great numbers but they are good numbers. 16% decline is modest but it is what you'd expect. Very clearly price elasticity comes into play.

I don't really think the primary market for handheld systems in the US knows what gimp means, let alone views the cheaper SKU as such. I don't think the parents buying the systems for them do either.
If this was true then 3DS sales would be zero. But they're not zero because people do know the difference.

I'm not suggesting that a price cut won't increase sales, they generally do to some degree, although as price cuts go I doubt a $20 drop is going to do much. The $150 psychological barrier was already crossed by the 2DS, that was the whole point of the SKU.
A price cut doesn't need to do much, they only need an increase of 10-20% to be comparable to last year. 2DS is in many ways a seperate product, even the name gives it away, 2DS is less than 3DS. Just like how MS didn't want Xbox 2 to be less than PS3 so they tried to become more than PS3 and went for Xbox 360.

Kikujiro

So is it possible xone sales were less than 300k worldwide in January? Considering during the holidays the US made up around 2/3 of sales. Even if the percentage dropped to a more even 50/50 split that's only 280k xones sold worldwide. The sales gap must be nearing 2 million even pre Japanese launch.

It's possible since the US market is XBone's strongest market, MS already lost Europe with that price point. PS4 is going to dominate Europe without even trying.

Top Bottom