• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

jayu26

you can't be fucking serious

First of all, the PS4's model pretty much identical to current embedded linux/unix systems - which is state of the art ATM

There is no good reason to add CPU overhead on system calls and sacrifice cache/context predictability for a locked down system where all games are from verified parties. I mean sure it's handy to have them available for indies/apps but forcing it on all games is a completely bone headed decision.

Secondly DX12 will have minimal effect on XB1 if any.

The XBO doesn't even use regular DX11 right now - it uses DX11.X where X is for Xbox. DX12 promises better low level access/control but DX11.X is already incredibly low level and has all the hardware compatibility abstractions ripped out so in theory it should already much faster than DX12 can ever be on identical hardware.

Sure they can do some more assembly level optimization in the Xbox's version of DX12 (12.X?) but there's nothing stopping them from doing that right now.

You got trolled mate.

DrkSage

you can't be fucking serious

First of all, the PS4's model pretty much identical to current embedded linux/unix systems - which is state of the art ATM

There is no good reason to add CPU overhead on system calls and sacrifice cache/context predictability for a locked down system where all games are from verified parties. I mean sure it's handy to have them available for indies/apps but forcing it on all games is a completely bone headed decision.

Secondly DX12 will have minimal effect on XB1 if any.

The XBO doesn't even use regular DX11 right now - it uses DX11.X where X is for Xbox. DX12 promises better low level access/control but DX11.X is already incredibly low level and has all the hardware compatibility abstractions ripped out so in theory it should already much faster than DX12 can ever be on identical hardware.

Sure they can do some more assembly level optimization in the Xbox's version of DX12 (12.X?) but there's nothing stopping them from doing that right now.

Bro, bro.... Bro... It was a joke post. Cold foot took it from that blog that shouldn't be named, you know? That one blog that thinks npds are WW and that are saying Sony paid the npd groups to change the numbers?
it was from THAT blog right?

Amir0x

Banned
I think a non-wearable QOL platform is pretty much guaranteed not to be aimed at hardcore gamers, no? Also wtf is non-wearable? A suppository is in fact non-wearable so I'm not writing that off just yet.

I mean, it's so vague and abstract how they were describing the concept it seems it could be literally anything. I think it will focus on health and stuff obviously, but they keep saying somehow the products are supposed to tie into their gaming strength and also draw new customers to buy their consoles and the games for them. But how? What in the world could do that in a QOL/non-wearable product?

It's seriously like the riddle of the sphinx or something trying to interpret what this should could be lol

When I inevitably get a Wii U, Pikmin 3 holds my interest as does Bayonetta 2 and probably Mario Kart. Wonderful 101 I will likely try but no expectations on that one

Nintendo is fairly risk averse so I'm not expecting break out new IPs from them tbh

Yeah they are, but my wish is that they realize how dire things are and really swing wide and hope to land a homerun. Nintendo is still one of the most creative and talented developers on the planet, despite their completely predictable and sadly sanitized selection of current Wii U games, and so I know they could really make a bold new game that grabs people's attentions.

That's what they need to do, make games that tell people they can get an experience like that no where else, and that are big and loud and attractive enough to really make it hard for people not to desire the platform associated with them. But instead Nintendo has been intent with making the same old franchises, some even with heavily reminiscent gameplay that people have played a thousand times before, and because of that people are frankly getting tired of it. I love Nintendo, they remain my favorite developer... but even I am bored of playing games with Mario in it set in the mushroom kingdom.

I'm curious to see the PS4 drops compared to XB1 drops relative to previous sales [i.e. who will have large MOM drops and by how much] PS4 should hold much better I think especially in may

280k in May? What game comes out in May?

I mean, it's so vague and abstract how they were describing the concept it seems it could be literally anything. I think it will focus on health and stuff obviously, but they keep saying somehow the products are supposed to tie into their gaming strength and also draw new customers to buy their consoles and the games for them. But how? What in the world could do that in a QOL/non-wearable product?

It's seriously like the riddle of the sphinx or something trying to interpret what this should could be lol

I assume Nintendo at least has some gameplan for the platform although they did release the Wii U so I dunno. Maybe it's like a fitbit for younger audiences? Like teens/kids etc.

No idea on non-wearable. Maybe something you put in your pocket then?

Yeah they are, but my wish is that they realize how dire things are and really swing wide and hope to land a homerun. Nintendo is still one of the most creative and talented developers on the planet, despite their completely predictable and sadly sanitized selection of current Wii U games, and so I know they could really make a bold new game that grabs people's attentions.

That's what they need to do, make games that tell people they can get an experience like that no where else, and that are big and loud and attractive enough to really make it hard for people not to desire the platform associated with them. But instead Nintendo has been intent with making the same old franchises, some even with heavily reminiscent gameplay that people have played a thousand times before, and because of that people are frankly getting tired of it. I love Nintendo, they remain my favorite developer... but even I am bored of playing games with Mario in it set in the mushroom kingdom.

I'm not optimistic on Nintendo trying out new IPs themselves. We'll see though I suppose

I'd love something from left field.

280k in May? What game comes out in May?

Watch Doggies and MLB I thought?

Edit: See bigboss370 post

mreddie

Vita right now...

monty.jpg

Sigh...

Answered a bit in my previous post, but I'll expand on that. It's not about list wars, but rather generating that mind share of "well I can only play X, Y and Z games on PS4 " even though Joe Casual may not have explicit interest in buying games X Y or Z. Sony severely lacks that kind of mindshare anymore with only a handful of high profile first party titles from ND and GT that can actually pull it off.

If future multiplats go on to sell maybe a third or less on the Bone, Sony spending that $20-30 mil to snatch up exclusivity may not be a bad deal at all. Yeah they have no money and are bankrupt, etc etc but clearly they still have some speculative cash lying around as we see with SE shares and blowing $100m on Stig's project.

I believe the intention of Sony WWS is good, but really, they haven't shown to be a guaranteed hit factory outside of ND. MS has the right idea snagging up a few exclusives as they've already sold more that half of retail titles over PS4 LTD despite the user base disparity.

Hilariously wrong. Sony WWS has no hits?
Please use google before posting garbage.

This is like posting "Halo 4 only sold a few copies."

modsbox

Phew. That's a solid month.

*stealth Drive Club release*

Your post just made me think how sweet (and entirely unlikely) it would be if during Sony's E3 preso they said something like 'We know a lot of you have been wondering about Driveclub. Well, it's done, and it's available for free _right now_ on PS+. We hope you love it, here's a video.'

That would be _awesome_.

Feorax

I feel a bit bad for the author of that blog. If it's not a parody, then there really has to be something up with him to be that delusional...

allan-bh

Yeah...didn't pay much attention to Titanfall when I looked it over...it's really annoying when you try to remember something you just glanced over and it's on the tip of your tongue.

You will have another opportunity to see later? Would be nice to know the number for sure.

Absolutely fascinated by where both Microsoft and Nintendo go from here in the next 12 months. In a way, Sony's path is set and if Titanfall didnt change matters in the US, then the first year will be like the first year of last gen with a dominant force and a adjusting market.

But Microsoft semi-dropped the ball midway through last gen and let Sony catch up. We know Sony are capable of their own screwups.

Most interesting implications of sales so far for me:

- What will Microsoft invest in next to gain mindshare? Another franchise? Killer Instinct was pretty good.
- What will early first year dominance mean for new projects from Japan on PS4?
- What will Sony do with all the Vita games now the console is dead?
- How quickly can Nintendo's QoL project emerge? Can it merge portable and home concepts convincingly, like a dockable?

DrkSage

As well as every game journalist, developer, digital foundry.... The site is my fix for laughs nowadays.

Yep, thing is I don't know if I laugh because its funny or because I fear some of them REALLY believe whats in there

also thanks for showing me that :p I didn't see I committed that atrocity xD

liger05

The Vita is best as a download-only system. It's no surprise retailers aren't pushing it. If the US market can't move away from retail, the Vita will always do terribly there.

I hope Nintendo releases updated European hardware sales along with their next quarterlies. I get the impression brick-and-mortar-free shopping is a much bigger thing in Europe, which should put the Vita on a more level playing field vs the 3DS at least.

I know Spain and Portugal seem to have a Vita presence but isnt Germany and France a complete wasteland for the Vita.

Mr Swine

Banned
Seems that PS4 and Xbone are selling really great, will probably sell this good or even better for years to come! Wii U is not good but man, Vita is like a dead corpse right now :/ I don't think that V2k and BL2 will do anything much to spur hardware sales :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I agree with this but I also think it relates to the wii in a lot of ways. Wii Sports pretty much was that thing you're talking about and it really helped the console to blow up, it's almost like they kind of tried to have Nintendo Land be that again, but it wasn't the same.

Beyond that? Like, man, you hit the nail on the head with that. NSMBU does very little with it. Pikmin 3 is better with a wiimote(to be fair, it'd be hard for it not to be simply by the genre). 3D World has some gimmicky levels. Donkey Kong is a black screen. Mario Kart is a horn and less HUD clutter which is appreciated but hardly a revelation. It does feel very safe, and in a way I don't even really care as just getting these games on an HD console has been nice, but it makes for a terrible attempt at trying to sell the unique features of the console. ZombiU is still the coolest use of it I've seen, but a game being created ground up for the console after seeing how it's doing would be a terrible business choice so I'm not surprised at all to see how this has played out. For the future it doesn't seem to be mixing it up either.

I honestly think they even struggled with the Wii when it came to core games as well, it took until the swansong of Skyward Sword to really feel like they were really trying beyond minigame compilations. They still had some natural benefits due to the technology for games like Metroid Prime 3, motion in Mario Kart, etc. but also has some shoehorned uses which outright detract from a game like waggle roll in Returns. That and minigame compilations are where it was mostly being shown.

Frankly, I feel they have enough talent and creativity thriving in the studios as it is. I've personally just found their consoles to have a needless anchor attached to the ankle recently.

Seems that PS4 and Xbone are selling really great, will probably sell this good or even better for years to come! Wii U is not good but man, Vita is like a dead corpse right now :/ I don't think that V2k and BL2 will do anything much to spur hardware sales :(

It's the 3% YOY gains that's the most troubling to Nintendo of America right now, considering the deep dissatisfaction with last year's results.

I bet the reason why they didn't do PR this month is because all of their hardware is dropping YOY (DS, Wii, 3DS), or pretty much identical to last year's abysmal results (Wii U).

There is just not much positivity right now in terms of the USA retail market for Nintendo. Can't wait for Mario Kart 8 to come and give Wii U a good shot in the arm.

kswiston

You joke but:

Year-over-year [software] sales of every platform declined from March 2013, with the exception of the PS Vita .​

(and PS4 and XBO, obviously).

How many units of software does Vita even sell at retail? That 40-50k units of FFX HD is probably a sizable chunk of its usual monthly total :p

orochi91

Your post just made me think how sweet (and entirely unlikely) it would be if during Sony's E3 preso they said something like 'We know a lot of you have been wondering about Driveclub. Well, it's done, and it's available for free _right now_ on PS+. We hope you love it, here's a video.'

That would be _awesome_.

That would be some fairy tale level shit.

But we must believeeeeeee

This month, Nintendo (the publisher) derived 29% of its software revenues from Wii U.

Software revenue (dollars) is down by -16.5% from last year.

3DS is down from 230K last year to 159K.

Wii U is barely up from 68K last year to 70K.

Wii is down from 91K last year to 28K.

DS is down from 86K last year to dead.

Now you see why they didn't do a PR statement. It's hard to spin those results. :-(

It's the 3% YOY gains that's the most troubling to Nintendo of America right now, considering the deep dissatisfaction with last year's results.

I bet the reason why they didn't do PR this month is because all of their hardware is dropping YOY (DS, Wii, 3DS), or pretty much identical to last year's abysmal results (Wii U).

There is just not much positivity right now in terms of the USA retail market for Nintendo. Can't wait for Mario Kart 8 to come and give Wii U a good shot in the arm.

Hmm how atypical is it for Nintendo to not give a PR statement?

- What will Sony do with all the Vita games now the console is dead?

Don't count Vita out , its a lot to ask for someone to buy a $200 Vita while they are also planning to buy a new $400 PS4 and games for it.

I think it makes sense to see a lull in vita sales while there is an uptick from the pent up PS4 demand. I expect to see a rise in vita sales by the end of the year as many of those 7+ million decide to explore remote play. I think we are reading too much into it at this point.

I've said this before, IGN's PS crew is great at calling things as it is, as evident by
their extensive criticism of all things playstation and Sony. The Xbox crew at IGN
is a joke in comparison, thanks in large part to the incredibly biased duo,
McCaffrey and Dyer.

I enjoy the Playstation crew as well. In the past, when it was the Three Red Lights podcast I was quite a fan, but with Ryan at the helm I do not enjoy it much at all. Cant say I have much of a problem with Mitch though.

vpance

By your previous logic what hits do you think MS have right now?

None yet, but that's not the point I was getting at.

There's a couple ways to grow mindshare of your platform, and one of the ways is having exclusive 3rd party titles. I just think it's a worthwhile move for Sony to consider again, now that it looks like it can be affordable.

Don't count Vita out , its a lot to ask for someone to buy a $200 Vita while they are also planning to buy a new $400 PS4 and games for it.

I think it makes sense to see a lull in vita sales while there is an uptick from the pent up PS4 demand. I expect to see a rise in vita sales by the end of the year as many of those 7+ million decide to explore remote play. I think we are reading too much into it at this point.
Based on the numbers Sony released earlier this year a significant amount of PS4 owners already owned a Vita. I guess it's possible by now those numbers have skewed downwards but I still wouldn't count on remote play changing things much.

prag16

Banned

That's.... incredibly optimistic. I'm not sure even SmokyDave would be on board with that spin.

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

Top Bottom