• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Don't take my job please. k thx

ZdaVx8X.gif

Elandyll

Banned
Placing that well behind Hardline which released on every platform, got to wonder if Bloodborne was possibly the #1 selling individual SKU?

Eolz

Since this isn't going too fast tonight...

So wait, is the PS4 confirmed as #1 platform or just #1 console? The PR releases aren't clear.

Really glad that Bloodborne did that well too. Wonder what the real numbers are. Around 250k?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Battlefield Hardline occupying the first position is a solid result.

I am not mistaken, EA were expecting a third of Battlefield mainline sales due to it being a spin-off.

The Order 1886 out of the top 10, surprising.... nope.

Yeah, I suspect it's hit its target pretty easily, especially given the UK results so far.

Son Of D

Ouch at Type-0. It was $60 wasn't it?

Also a bit surprised that Smash Wii U is only 300K behind Mario Kart 8. Then again Smash is more of a core game than Mario Kart and Wii U number suggest it's mostly the core buying it.

Jomjom

Banned
Hmm I wonder why MS did "cumulative" sales of Xbone are outpacing the 360 over the same period? Was Xbone's 2nd March worse than the 360's 2nd March?

Toki767

Not surprised about Type-0. Honestly feel like the game would have sold better on the Vita even if the install base was smaller.

Bloodborne at #2 is pretty great.

SpotAnime

Not at all. Only advertising was pretty much limited to the internet. It shipped 1 million worldwide. The game should have been $40. I think an HD port of an old PSP game could sell 2 million lifetime is pretty good.

I'd be worried if I were them. It came with a frigging FF XV demo for Christ's sake.

Kyoufu

Technically he's right because Type 0 was 1 million shipped WW.

Yeah I could have sworn he originally posted Type-0 when I hit that quote button. I think I'm losing it at this late hour.

Anyway, on the topic of Type-0, it's somewhat sad to see it and the FFXV demo outsold by Borderlands THC.

Mario Party 10 is outsold Mario Party 9 launch sales since Mario Party 9 sold 230k in its launch. I believe its behind Mario Party Island Tour but that launched in November

Mory Dunz

Also a bit surprised that Smash Wii U is only 300K behind Mario Kart 8. Then again Smash is more of a core game than Mario Kart and Wii U number suggest it's mostly the core buying it.

They've always been competitve except for the Wii ones, which had the bigger and different audience that MK catered more towards

Xbro

Didn't really notice how small the gap was.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 2,400,000
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 1,600,000

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U - 4,000,000

Wonder when it'll hit 5 millions.

Kusagari

Type-O did fine for what it is, but I'd expect more considering the FFXV demo.

You've got to wonder how much harm Lightning and her shitty series did to the franchise.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Type-0 did worse than expected.

SE have only themselves to blame on this one, and I think you know this too Kagari.

Asking to shellout 59.99$ for a updated remake is alot to ask considering the last installments of the franchise (FFXIV:AR excluded); many of them purchased at 19.99$ two months after release.

JeffGrubb

NPD analyst comments:

Hardware:

“Hardware unit sales decreased by 9 percent, and with average prices down 13 percent across all platforms, dollar sales decreased by 21 percent.”

“Console hardware was the primary culprit responsible for the March 2015 sales decline, with a 29 percent, or $104 million decrease, in spending while portable hardware rose by 71 percent over last year.”

“This is the seventeenth month of sales for the Xbox One and PS4, whose combined cumulative hardware sales are over 50 percent higher than the combined seventeen-month cumulative sales totals for the Xbox 360 and PS3.”

Software:

“Physical software sales decreased by 6 percent from March 2014 as strong growth of eight generation consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U) helped to partially offset the sharp declines of seventh generation consoles, down 52 percent, and physical PC games, down 64 percent. A bright light in the portable space was the increase in 3DS software sales of over 20 percent from March 2014.”

"March 2015 software sales showed growth across all three eighth generation consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U), collectively increasing by 58 percent versus March 2014. This is a sign of the health of the eight generation console space; especially when considering the strong March 2014 software releases (as a comparison) such as Titanfall and inFamous: Second Son.”

“One factor in the decline of total new physical sales in March 2015 was the 16 percent decrease of new releases sales compared to games launched in March 2014.”

“The launch of Bloodborne ranked as second overall in software sales this month, but also has the second highest sales for the debut month of a first-party game on the PS4, after inFamous: Second Son, in March 2014.”

“Physical PC games spending declined by 64 percent from March 2014 due to poor comparisons to a strong March 2014 launch slate, which included Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, TitanFall, and The Elder Scrolls Online. These three titles represented 54 percent of physical PC game sales in March 2014.”

“3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA'S MASK 3D would make the top ten software list when ranked on a SKU basis rather than a title basis.”

Accessories:

“Accessory sales rose by 15 percent with increases over March 2014 from video game point and subscription cards, gamepads, and interactive gaming toys. Collectively, these three types of accessories represented the majority of the increase in the dollar growth in accessory spending over last year.”

“March 2015 marked the best-selling March for video game point and subscription cards, and was also one of the best months on record (sixth best) for point cards.”

Top Bottom