• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

I wonder what Atlus thinks of this number...

They couldn't have expected it to do anything glamorous.

It sold twice as much as Devil Survivor: Overclocked did in its opening month.

So I imagine Atlus is quite happy. They're a niche publisher, after all.

I thought the Wii sold around 41 million and not 45 million last gen.I don't think the ps4 is going to break 40 million by the end of the gen like the 360 and Wii

Wii LTD in the USA was 41.8 million as of June 2014. I assume its sales have been very low since then, so I wouldn't go much higher than 42 million.

Not counting that the terrible sales of the XB1 in May 2014 were also due to the early announcement of the Kinectless bundle too (May 13th 2014 for a June 9th release) ;)

But yeah... People thinking that Sony is going to wait until November for a price cut at this point, I don't know what else to tell you...
I'd be shocked if the PS4 doesn't go at least $50 down this E3 (for the 500Gb model that is).

what?

that wasn't my point. my point was why would xbox be the clear winner when we don't know of any totals? even if xbone was up 10% yoy and ps4 down 8% yoy if the ps4 came from a really high 5-month total like 300k a month down by 8% means they're selling 276k a month right now vs. xbox at 150k a month up 10% would be 165k.

so really, context is everything.

ps4 has been winning at 399 vs xbone at 349.

all these "if sony doesn't do this...mindshare...momentum shift..etc." talk have been going on for months and months now.

this happened when xbone dropped to match the 399 price. happened when they dropped again to 349. i mean, how many times dinwe have to hear from armchair analysts how sony has to do this and that or else...?

sörine

Banned
It is true but I believe PS4 will do better than Wii in later years... Wii dead was really early for a console.
Later years being years 6+ perhaps but it's difficult to really project that far out. Wii years 2-4 are basically untouchable and year 5 might be beyond PS4's grasp even.

One thing we need to remember is PS4 still hasn't released the big guns. Its major franchises like Uncharted haven't hit yet, and the thing is still launch price. It has plenty of momentum ahead of it. I've been upfront I think its 2015 performance is a little disappointing but that doesn't mean it can't move major hardware still.

Cross gen needs to die in a fucking fire though, and for the most part it has. COD being cross gen is hugely disappointing though, as that thing would move hardware.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It is true but I believe PS4 will do better than Wii in later years... Wii dead was really early for a console.

Yeah have to be crazy to think ps4 will fall off a cliff like the wii did, and no its trajectory is nothing alike, as wii was massive for 3-4 years then died...ps4 wont die like wii did. Wii was on pace to beat ps2...for years, then collapsed. The wii was something totally different then any regular console sales curve.

Wii really dropped heavily after year 5 on the market. Sure, if you assume PS4 will be on the market actively for 7 years, it will overpass Wii, but I very much doubt it will be the main Sony console/device for that long. It's a different generation, the starting point in technology was much lower, they are trying now to push into VR, that will trigger a shorter generation than the last one.

so, are marketing deals worth it or even going to matter for Xb1 anymore? Witcher 3 still sold more on PS4, and CoD is still selling more on PS4...

does this mean less Witcher 3 type marketing deals and more Tomb Raider type timed exclusive deals?

Welfare

You just love to compare months, don't you? FYI, 350K is the minimum I think it would sell. Even 450K is possible but right now it's too early to tell.

Is it though? Is it really?

The only time a 7th gen console did double or more than double the results it had in May to June was the 360, and that was thanks to the Slim model. 360 June 2010 was up MoM by 133%. May was 194k and June was 452k.

The year MGS4 launched, the PS3 in May did 209k, and then in June did 406k, or an increase of 94%. Pretty close, but no cigar.

With the PS4's performance right now with $399, I expect it to only get as high as slightly above 300k, which is actually very similar to the PS3 in 2010, where it did 154k in May and then 305k in June.

Javin98

Banned
This gen is a bit of a weird gen IMO. Here's the way I see things go:
Both consoles have huge openings, then in the second year, things start to slow down. Price drop at the end of this year and sales shoot up again. Peak years in 2016-2017. Sales gradually drop after that.

The only time a 7th gen console did double or more than double the results it had in May to June was the 360, and that was thanks to the Slim model. 360 June 2010 was up MoM by 133%. May was 194k and June was 452k.

The year MGS4 launched, the PS3 in May did 209k, and then in June did 406k, or an increase of 94%. Pretty close, but no cigar.

With the PS4's performance right now with $399, I expect it to only get as high as slightly above 300k, which is actually very similar to the PS3 in 2010, where it did 154k in May and then 305k in June.
I don't know. Like I said, still too early to tell. It really depends on how well the Batman bundles sell and how much stock is available. And I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. This gen seems to break away from traditional generations.

vin-buc

NPD threads are remarkable with the memories of sales from seven years ago. I would love to be in on those monthly meetings when those miniscule Wii U numbers are disclosed. Reggie was so full of it last gen. He's on that humble pie diet munching month in, month out. Same for Greenberg - I remember seeing him in pics on a bed with 2 blonde chick's and champagne - where is he now? Quiet as a mouse. That humble pie goes full circle - Sony ate it for years last gen. The pie has a lasting effect - read the PR. Everyone "humbled".

NPD threads are remarkable with the memories of sales from seven years ago. I would love to be in on those monthly meetings when those miniscule Wii U numbers are disclosed. Reggie was so full of it last gen. He's on that humble pie diet munching month in, month out. Same for Greenberg - I remember seeing him in pics on a bed with 2 blonde chick's and champagne - where is he now? Quiet as a mouse. That humble pie goes full circle - Sony ate it for years last gen. The pie has a lasting effect - read the PR. Everyone "humbled".

Arrogance leads to complacence. I for one like this new humbled Big 3.

Wii really dropped heavily after year 5 on the market. Sure, if you assume PS4 will be on the market actively for 7 years, it will overpass Wii, but I very much doubt it will be the main Sony console/device for that long. It's a different generation, the starting point in technology was much lower, they are trying now to push into VR, that will trigger a shorter generation than the last one.

PS4 will be viable in many places 7 years in..sony sells consoles to many territories, many of which buy them when they are much cheaper and have been out for a long time. ps4 won't be any different. PS2 and ps1 were also had lower starting point for tech, PS4 will be close to 10 years on the market like all sony consoles. VR won't take off IMo for it to push anything.

Kolx

so, are marketing deals worth it or even going to matter for Xb1 anymore? Witcher 3 still sold more on PS4, and CoD is still selling more on PS4...

does this mean less Witcher 3 type marketing deals and more Tomb Raider type timed exclusive deals?

The Witcher 3 marketing probably didn't even cost 5% of what RotTR cost MS, so no I don't think we would see more of RotTR just because of this because at the end it's still too expensive to get more of it. They would still get 5-6 third party games marketing deals at least every year but a RotTR type of deal won't be more than 1-2 maximum a year.

Welfare

I don't know. Like I said, still too early to tell. It really depends on how well the Batman bundles sell and how much stock is available. And I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. This gen seems to break away from traditional generations.

Are you kidding me? Did you forget

Wait. What is this bullshit?

Xbox 360 April 2007 (Second April) 174k

PS4 April 2015 (Second April) 174k

PS3 April 2008 (Second April) 187k

Xbox One April 2015 (Second April) 187k

This generation is so lame. I'm calling the PS4 will be 155k in May, just like the 360 did.
And I was close too.

Sandfox

PS4 will be viable in many places 7 years in..sony sells consoles to many territories, many of which buy them when they are much cheaper and have been out for a long time. ps4 won't be any different. PS2 and ps1 were also had lower starting point for tech, PS4 will be close to 10 years on the market like all sony consoles. VR won't take off IMo for it to push anything.

Doesn't that really depend on the length of the generation? It could very well be shorter this time around.

Consoles sell years after a new gen starts......like ps1, ps2 and ps3 still is. Ps2 sold millions after ps3 launched.

The Game Boy Color, GBA to an extent, the original Xbox, and others all had their lifecycles truncated.

Those are three examples where the consoles absolutely flatlined sales-wise the instant the successor released and a new gen started. It could happen with modern-day consoles.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Just look at the trends and look at the potential gap after 5 years in US. Then add the huge gap that will be created in Japan. You don't close that gap with the territories that sell some tens of thousands of console 7-10 years form now. You need US, UK, France and Germany.

Also look at how much and how fast PS3 dropped since PS4 launched, compared to previous generation when PS2 kept on selling pretty well after PS3 launched.

It's a different market. From launch to the end of the generation it will be a different market.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Ironically the Wii U meets that bar last year xD. Yeh I know the #s are low which made it possible, but it's fun to point out.

Sandfox

Consoles sell years after a new gen starts......like ps1, ps2 and ps3 still is. Ps2 sold millions after ps3 launched.

Yeah, but if the generation were to say last five years I don't see the PS4 lasting as long as the PS1 and PS2 did. Also, I don't think the PS4 will be selling like those platforms later in its life.

The Game Boy Color, GBA to an extent, the original Xbox, and others all had their lifecycles truncated.

Those are three examples where the consoles absolutely flatlined sales-wise the instant the successor released and a new gen started. It could happen with modern-day consoles.

GBA did not flatline when the DS came out. It regularly outsold the DS kn the first year. It even outsold the PS3 in 2007.

So, honestly guys, how on earth does Nintendo ride out another year on Wii U? The thing is just doing next to nothing in terms of hardware. I'm genuinely curious what opinions are in here as to what they can do. It doesn't seem like we are getting a new home console from them until at least late 2016 and maybe even not until 2017 since they aren't showing or announcing any new hardware at E3.

I just don't see how they can ride this thing out for another 1-2 years.

Sandfox

So, honestly guys, how on earth does Nintendo ride out another year on Wii U? The thing is just doing next to nothing in terms of hardware. I'm genuinely curious what opinions are in here as to what they can do. It doesn't seem like we are getting a new home console from them until at least late 2016 and maybe even not until 2017 since they aren't showing or announcing any new hardware at E3.

They just need to continue what they've been doing this year.

crinale

They may do the same what they did to Wii.

Welfare

They already turned to the Devil in the UK last year. Just do it again.

They may do the same what they did to Wii.

Let it die a slow painful death?

GBA did not flatline when the DS came out. It regularly outsold the DS kn the first year. It even outsold the PS3 in 2006.

That's why I added that *to an extent* qualifier.

After December 2006, the GBA died very quickly in the USA market with steep YOY declines.

That's only two years after the DS came out.

It's not like the PS2 which continued to persist 4+ years into the PS3's lifecycle.

The Xbox and GBC were much sharper declines.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Keeping the costs low and trying to make as many of games as possible profitable. And trying to sell aroung 3 mio. consoles per year. They just returned to profit, the last thing they need now is another rushed launch with all the related costs and uncertain benefits.

Edit: also lots of DLCs and amiibo.

Top Bottom