• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

After 19 months:

PS4: ~7.7m
XB1: ~7.1m
360: ~5.6m
PS3: ~4.4m

PS4/XB1 numbers could be off by 100k or so give or take.

RIP PS4/X1

In all seriousness that's astounding. It's numbers like that which make me sigh when the doomsayers start speaking up. Anything can happen, but what an incredible start for both systems. Happy my favorite hobby is doing so well.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
1) Super Smash Bros. U = 670K physical, 710K physical + digital (November 2014)

2) Mario Kart 8 = 377K physical (May 2014)

3) Captain Toad = 250K (December 2014)

4) New Super Mario Bros. U = 244K physical (November 2012)

5) Super Mario 3D World = 215K physical + digital (November 2013)

6) Hyrule Warriors = 190K physical + digital (September 2014)

7) Splatoon = 136K physical (May 2015)

8) Pikmin 3 = 105K physical, 115K physical + digital (August 2013)

That's better.

Yeah, I don't know where he's getting #4 from.

Aren't you missing DKC though? It debuted over 100K. I remember 130K for some reason although it should be in the Feb 2014 NPD thread.

....that explains everything about Abdiel's Wii U updates

LOL

Why yes it does... I kind of always suspected that since Abdiel's updates just never seemed to line up with reality for Wii U, which clearly means BBY just isn't the place people get their Wii Us.

DjRalford

RIP PS4/X1

In all seriousness that's astounding. It's numbers like that which make me sigh when the doomsayers start speaking up. Anything can happen, but what an incredible start for both systems. Happy my favorite hobby is doing so well.

A surely It only looks like this gen is down if you take the success of the wii into account.

Aren't you missing DKC though? It debuted over 100K. I remember 130K for some reason although it should be in the Feb 2014 NPD thread.

Damn it. Didn't get much sleep last night.

3) Mario Party 10 = 290K physical + digital (March 2015)

4) Captain Toad = 250K (December 2014)

5) New Super Mario Bros. U = 244K physical (November 2012)

6) Super Mario 3D World = 215K physical + digital (November 2013)

7) Hyrule Warriors = 190K physical + digital (September 2014)

8) Splatoon = 136K physical (May 2015)

9) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze = 130K physical + digital (February 2014)

10) Pikmin 3 = 105K physical, 115K physical + digital (August 2013)

Chobel

Its 3:40 where I am baby!
Hear me out. With only a 13k difference if MS show H5 looking awesome(which I assume it will be) and the Gears collection all with a lower price point than the competition. Who knows maybe there will be another price drop, shouldn't it be feasible that they overtake?

I thought it's only one game, Gears 1 remastered.

RIP PS4/X1

At some point PS4/XB1 were 2x more than PS3/360. PS4/XB1 launch sales were very imppressive but current sales are far from it. PS3/360 have been actually outperforming them on monthly basis for some time now.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Damn it. Didn't get much sleep last night.

3) Mario Party 10 = 290K physical + digital (March 2015)

4) Captain Toad = 250K (December 2014)

5) New Super Mario Bros. U = 244K physical (November 2012)

6) Super Mario 3D World = 215K physical + digital (November 2013)

7) Hyrule Warriors = 190K physical + digital (September 2014)

8) Splatoon = 136K physical (May 2015)

9) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze = 130K physical + digital (February 2014)

10) Pikmin 3 = 105K physical, 115K physical + digital (August 2013)

Sorry to bug you again, you forgot Mario Party 10's 290K.... >_>. I've added it myself

phanphare

Banned
That drop happened at the same time with MK8 promotion if I remember correctly, which made sense, the game being given as a possible pack in for MK8.

nah the drop happened around december of 2013

I know because I bought it the day after the price drop but was going out of town for NYE and didn't have a chance to play it until I got back

AniHawk

RIP PS4/X1

the industry is doing very well, but dedicated hardware is contracting like crazy. you couldn't have picked a healthier region with two better numbers.

noshten

3) Captain Toad = 250K (December 2014)

4) New Super Mario Bros. U = 244K physical (November 2012)

5) Super Mario 3D World = 215K physical + digital (November 2013)

6) Hyrule Warriors = 190K physical + digital (September 2014)

7) Splatoon = 136K physical (May 2015)

8) Pikmin 3 = 105K physical, 115K physical + digital (August 2013)

That's better.

Yeah, I don't know where he's getting #4 from.

A lot of the titles you listed had more than 7 days of tracking Captain Toad for example had A LOT more.

I don't have any data but when you compare the first 30 days of Splatoon with all these titles I expect it to be 4-5 place on the Wii U.

New Super Mario Bros. U - November 18, 2012
Super Mario 3D World - November 22, 2013
Hyrule Warriors - August 14, 2014
Captain Toad - December 5, 2014
NSMB - November 18, 2012
Pikmin 3 - Released July 13, 2013

Jomjom

Banned
Its 3:40 where I am baby!
Hear me out. With only a 13k difference if MS show H5 looking awesome(which I assume it will be) and the Gears collection all with a lower price point than the competition. Who knows maybe there will be another price drop, shouldn't it be feasible that they overtake?

I agree with you. Maybe this isn't the last month, but I'd say probably second to last. They'll likely win June with the Batman console, but then after that I see the Xbone winning in a landslide every month thereafter.

PS4 has a lot of games coming out, but they are mostly Japanese games or 1st party games that won't sell consoles to anyone, whereas MS has TR, Halo 5 and probably Gears remake, all three of which will sell systems.

At some point PS4/XB1 were 2x more than PS3/360. PS4/XB1 launch sales were very imppressive but current sales are far from it. PS3/360 have been actually outperforming them on monthly basis for some time now.

Not really. A few months this year. Who cares? Not many big releases. It'll pick up. Holiday will be huge.

Poor numbers, save us Batman....Some of Ps4 sales though will be in june but still weak all around. PS4 needs a price drop this year.

That Batman bundle should sell a ton of PS4s since you get the game for free... and the special edition one has been sold out on Amazon since shortly after it was listed.

Chobel

I agree with you. Maybe this isn't the last month, but I'd say probably second to last. They'll likely win June with the Batman console, but then after that I see the Xbone winning in a landslide every month thereafter.

PS4 has a lot of games coming out, but they are mostly Japanese games or 1st party games that won't sell consoles to anyone, whereas MS has TR, Halo 5 and probably Gears remake, all three of which will sell systems.

Even MGSV month?

Curufinwe

the industry is doing very well, but dedicated hardware is contracting like crazy. you couldn't have picked a healthier region with two better numbers.

Since PS4 is 7.7m in America and 23 million worldwide, won't the sales numbers in the region known as Europe be 10 million or more?

As others have stated, contraction has already happened. Years ago with the loss of much of the Wii crowd, who didn't exist before the Wii. Contraction was the market returning to normal, and it's not a bad thing.

LMAO, yeah no.......PS4 has sept in the bag with MGS, I dont see ms winning a single month until OCT and that is a maybe depends on PS4 price cut. If it wins a month it won't be a landslide either, not even close. What will happen to make MS win july aug and sept by a landslide?
Third party games will move more hardware then any exclusives, amazing people still don't see that. MS has nothing either that will move anything outside of halo and that can only go so far. Last year x1 sold well because of deals and bundles, not Sunset and Forza.

Your also forgetting UC collection, and sony has big bundles coming this holiday by the looks of it. UC collection will do very well.

Hugstable

Banned
Congrats Splatoon! Only really played the single player but I loved it and found it amazing. Only level 4 in the MP but waiting for my LAN adaptor to get here today since I have connection issues, but god damn is the game fun. Great to see it have good sales, very deserving and good to see Nintendo having success with a new IP, which hopefully means we gets even more new IP, and better yet, Splatoon 2/3D!

Lemondish

UC Collection, Star Wars & MGS marketing, and a potential price drop should help remove the chance of a landslide.

I'm also not convinced that landslide is the best description.

Boke1879

MS will win when Halo drops. I don't see them winning in the next couple of months.

AniHawk

Since PS4 is 7.7m in America and 23 million worldwide, won't the sales numbers in the region known as Europe be 10 million or more?

two better numbers. i doubt the xb1 is doing as well in europe as it's doing in north america, and then especially compared to the ps4.

the us shows growth for at least two manufacturers in one segment of the hardware market. europe probably shows growth for one.

As others have stated, contraction has already happened. Years ago with the loss of much of the Wii crowd, who didn't exist before the Wii. Contraction was the market returning to normal, and it's not a bad thing.

new customers don't exist before they were customers. that's the point of growth. and it's not just nintendo who saw growth in gen 7 and declines in gen 8, but sony and microsoft as well.

what you're seeing is potentially the market returning closer to gen 5 levels than gen 6 levels, and that is a fairly not good thing.

It doesn't work that way x1 sells vastly worse in europe and elsewhere, many countries ps4 has 80% market share. The x1 is really doing poorly outside the US.

Loudninja

Its like I read all of this before.

two better numbers. i doubt the xb1 is doing as well in europe as it's doing in north america, and then especially compared to the ps4.

the us shows growth for at least two manufacturers in one segment of the hardware market. europe probably shows growth for one.

new customers don't exist before they were customers. that's the point of growth. and it's not just nintendo who saw growth but sony and microsoft as well.

what you're seeing is potentially the market returning closer to gen 5 levels than gen 6 levels, and that is a fairly not good thing.

I respectfully disagree. Sales figures are what they are, and right now they show an industry in growth (eh.....except for Ninty). Anything can change, but that's the simple reality for now. As I've stated before, honest-to-goodness industry figures like Liam Callahan, Ubisoft, 2k, etc......people with ACTUAL insight, are positive about the future of 8th gen consoles. You should be too.

Mory Dunz

Well W101 also had a permanent price drop both in retail and the eShop, plus it too w101 a LONG time to reach 100k

Yeah. The number we got didn't include eshop though. Just retail I believe.

What price did it drop to?

And I used w101 since it was a new Wii U IP. It might not be indicative of anything so we'll see. Toad also had legs but some consider as a part of "Mario"

AniHawk

I respectfully disagree. Sales figures are what they are, and right now they show an industry in growth (eh.....except for Ninty). Anything can change, but that's the simple reality for now. As I've stated before, honest-to-goodness industry figures like Liam Callahan, Ubisoft, 2k, etc......people with ACTUAL insight, are positive about the future of 8th gen consoles. You should be too.

people with an investment in the biggest games with the biggest budgets that need to sell millions to break even are claiming that everything is fine? i'm not surprised.

but you're right, sales figures are what they are. and right now they show an industry in steep decline.

T4LWRsH.jpg

in the us, things are not as bad as japan or europe if you aren't sony, but the fact is you have to be a ubisoft or a 2k games to be doing fine in this climate.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
One might think last gen lasted so long, it created a bigger than usual, front loaded demand when next gen finally arrived. Could most core gamers of each system already have their console now? The new phase we are in would be getting non core gamers buying systems, and it's getting harder than most think.

Good to see the post being appreciated! Was afraid no one read my wall of text haha. Thanks!

I'm kind of hoping that Nintendo's tough financial position will make them take this problem head-on with NX. They're a pretty creative company, and when they do it right, they often just hit it out of the park. Thus in some ways I'm excited to see what's next.

The "consoles are dead" thing turns around immediately with a healthy Nintendo.

Nintendo's been here before. And they've rebounded in spectacular ways.

Anyone assuming Nintendo is dead and buried and Consoles along with them may end up being quite mistaken.

Nintendo is the #2 software publisher YTD btw...

A lot of the titles you listed had more than 7 days of tracking Captain Toad for example had A LOT more.

I don't have any data but when you compare the first 30 days of Splatoon with all these titles I expect it to be 4-5 place on the Wii U.

NSMB - November 18, 2012

It's a little skewed because June 2015 is a 5-week month.

So Splatoon Month 1 + Month 2 will have 37 days of tracking.

DrWong

NSMB - November 18, 2012

I agree.

Haven't done an avatar bet before. This is exciting! Also, feel free to remind me if I forget about it in the highly unlikely event that I lose.

Splatoon being top 10 is not the real deal you know, it's about being in the top 5 again and given June releases there's a chance. We'll remind you :]

I would guess Splatoon is somewhere around 200k next month, which should put it in the fifth-sixth position. I highly doubt it does less than what it did in two days in May.

Edit: I also have odd anecdotal evidence of the success of the game. A popular fan artist for League of Legends did a cross-over between the two games and it got highly upvoted on the League sub-reddit. Many of the top comments were singing praise about the game. I haven't seen this happen for any other game in five years of watching the sub-reddit. There are the rare posts about Starcraft II, DOTA II, and Counter Strike: GO as other e-Sports, but that is about it.

Splatoon shoud shine on the e-sport front and I expect its inclusion in the Nintendo World Tournament to be a big success. It will help to sustain the legs/relevancy. wom.

people with an investment in the biggest games with the biggest budgets that need to sell millions to break even are claiming that everything is fine? i'm not surprised.

but you're right, sales figures are what they are. and right now they show an industry in steep decline.

T4LWRsH.jpg

in the us, things are not as bad as japan or europe if you aren't sony, but the fact is you have to be a ubisoft or a 2k games to be doing fine in this climate.

Once again, that contraction.....not decline, contraction......is due to Nintendo. Not Sony. Not Microsoft. Their consoles are thriving. It's due to the millions of people who bought a Wii and would not have otherwise bought a console to begin with. These people, like my sister and my grandmother and my mother in law, did not move on to another console. The industry is not in 'decline'.

There will be another spike during next holidays though. 2008 holiday season wasn't that amazing for X360/PS3 (especially PS3 had pretty poor showing). Even with flat sales during holidays PS4/Xbone will add sizable amount to that gap again (considering the barrage of current gen only software and very likely price dops I will eat my hat if they are flat).

ZhugeEX

Banned
Once again, that contraction.....not decline, contraction......is due to Nintendo. Not Sony. Not Microsoft. Their consoles are thriving. It's due to the millions of people who bought a Wii and would not have otherwise bought a console to begin with. These people, like my sister and my grandmother and my mother in law, did not move on to another console. The industry is not in 'decline'.

DEFINITION OF 'CONTRACTION'
A phase of the business cycle in which the economy as a whole is in decline.

yeh, um ok.

The "consoles are dead" thing turns around immediately with a healthy Nintendo.

Nintendo's been here before. And they've rebounded in spectacular ways.

Anyone assuming Nintendo is dead and buried and Consoles along with them may end up being quite mistaken.

Nintendo is the #2 software publisher YTD btw...

Couldn't have said it better myself brother. If the Wii U was performing as well as the other two, this wouldn't even be a thing. As it stands right now, it still shouldn't be.

NateDrake

If the industry isn't in decline, then it isn't growing either. Last-gen lasted too long and we had a lot of early adopters this generation because of more reasonable launch prices - especially with the PS4.

Again...the ps3 and 360 took way longer to reach saturation at their given price points, their trajectories would have fallen quicker too had they sold much faster like this gen then. people act like because things have slowed down some it means that will continue forever?? That is silly, we are only now getting Curent gen only big name games to push people over, and ps4 is still launch price...Sales will go up again. When more next gen only games come and ps4 srops in price sales will go way up again.

You cannot directly compare the gens yet and make firm conclusions as this gen was not supply constrained and sol so much more. pS4 is 10 million ahead of ps3, that is a massive difference. People are over reacting, the contraction is mainly nintendo.

If the industry isn't in decline, then it isn't growing either. Last-gen lasted too long and we had a lot of early adopters this generation because of more reasonable launch prices - especially with the PS4.

This is why saying they are in serious decline is silly yet, last gen and this gen are going to be vastly different in the sales curve because of how much better this gen sold at launch. It does not mean they will keep declining......

Top Bottom