• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

False equals.

Destiny had hype for a much longer time, was from a big studio, and had a bigger marketing campaign. releasing near the holiday season outside of the slow months of the year and Xbox had nothing on the side to counter it.

I'm not underselling anything you're overselling it and comparing it to a game which was under completely different circumstances.

Xbox One is competing against the Batman bundle with not only itself getting the game but expanded White Console bundle, a 1TB SKu, games released during E3 (not releasing this month already released, MS announced certain games were available that day) Pre-orders for games that will be coming out starting early august (Rare replay, gears etc.) and the current promotions for free games.

You're only looking at one factor, you need to look at all the factors, because they all add up,

Except I never insinuating it would get as big a bump as Destiny, but there will be one and you are really selling it short IMO. Games released at e3, again what are you talking about? Rare collection is not going to boost any sales not pre-orders for gears of war remake... I think you are really over selling putting pre-orders up for old rare games and a gears remake at E3 will do LOL. I am looking at all factors and none will be as big as the batman bundle.

You think most gamers today are going to order a 350 dollar console because of the rare collection? I don't see it even being a factor.

MS did have things to counter, you could have gotten destiny free with x1 in Sept, they had madden bundles.....

You tell me I put too much emphasis on pre-orders for batman bundle, then you bring up pre-orders for a niche rare collection and a gears 1 remake.,.,....

Javin98

Banned
I wasn't addressing your post, I was addressing something else in the current conversation that you ended up inside of, and if I annoy you then why are you responding to me?
Yet somehow you keep replying my posts with how the E3 hype will help the XB1 in June. Think I'm getting this wrong? Just look at this page. Even when I said my post had nothing to do with E3 hype affecting sales, you kept trying to get me into this discussion about E3 boosting sales, which I think is stupid in the first place. And I'm only responding to you because you are being annoying by trying to drag me into your discussion.

ethomaz

Banned
The Destiny boost last year was crazy but this year?

It is a new retail release.

Sony will bundle again Destiny in September? It will move consoles again? What do you guys think?

The Destiny boost last year was crazy but and this year?

It is a new retail release.

Sony will bundle again Destiny in September? It will move consoles again? What do you guys think?

Maybe but it wont have near the impact, and way less hype and time for pre-orders.

Yet somehow you keep replying my posts with how the E3 hype will help the XB1 in June. Think I'm getting this wrong? Just look at this page. Even when I said my post had nothing to do with E3 hype affecting sales, you kept trying to get me into this discussion about E3 boosting sales, which I think is stupid in the first place. And I'm only responding to you because you are being annoying by trying to drag me into your discussion.

Really going to do this "I wasn't in the discussion" thing?

Looking back one page, the first response to you was to your statement of "Anyway, I'm surprised to see someone thinks the XB1 might win June." which I clarified no one directly said that, so yes you did put yourself in the conversation that was going on.

In fact, After that I clarified I wasn't relating my predictions on E3 hype you you acknowledged that also indicating that you though this, and were also again, were in the discussion.

Then you switched back to "MY E3 hype I was not in the discussion you are dragging me" which doesn't make sense if anybody actually reads the 3 posts we had exchanged with each other on the last page, because yes you were, and even made a second conversation in the middle of it.

But anyway we'll see, I'll leave it at that.

Except I never insinuating it would get as big a bump as Destiny, but there will be one and you are really selling it short IMO. Games released at e3, again what are you talking about? Rare collection is not going to boost any sales not pre-orders for gears of war remake... I think you are really over selling putting pre-orders up for old rare games and a gears remake at E3 will do LOL. I am looking at all factors and none will be as big as the batman bundle.

You think most gamers today are going to order a 350 dollar console because of the rare collection? I don't see it even being a factor.

MS did have things to counter, you could have gotten destiny free with x1 in Sept, they had madden bundles.....

You tell me I put too much emphasis on pre-orders for batman bundle, then you bring up pre-orders for a niche rare collection and a gears 1 remake.,.,....

Because pre-orders are the ONLY THING I mentioned that last post? Did you miss the White Bundle, 1 TB bundle, and trade-in deals?

Also no MS had nothing to counter a shooter in september from a big company. Destiny free is irrelevant because Destiny was advertised with PS4, and Madden is a game with legs, Madden isn't going to outsell a shooter at launch or do anything to take sales away.

Looking back one page, the first response to you was to your statement of "Anyway, I'm surprised to see someone thinks the XB1 might win June." which I clarified no one directly said that, so yes you did put yourself in the conversation that was going on.

In fact, After that I clarified I wasn't relating my predictions on E3 hype you you acknowledged that also indicating that you though this, and were also again, were in the discussion.

Then you switched back to "MY E3 hype I was not in the discussion you are dragging me" which doesn't make sense if anybody actually reads the 3 posts we had exchanged with each other on the last page, because yes you were, and even made a second conversation in the middle of it.

Because pre-orders are the ONLY THING I mentioned that last post? Did you miss the White Bundle, 1 TB bundle, and trade-in deals?

Also no MS had nothing to counter a shooter in september from a big company. Destiny free is irrelevant because Destiny was advertised with PS4, and Madden is a game with legs, Madden isn't going to outsell a shooter at launch or do anything to take sales away.

Batman is advertised on PS4 as well, your arguments are all over the place. I nevr said pre-orders were all you mentioned, but you did mention them for a remake and a niche rare collection, yet you turn around and sat I am putting too much emphasis on pre-orders of the batman bundle? See the hypocritcal nature of your argument? Can't have your cake and eat it too. A bigger HD won't be near as big as months of pre-orders for a big franchise like batman, which is heavily advertised on PS4.

Witcher 3 yay! Still playing that game, so much content :)

Congrats also to Splatoon, I've heard nothing but good things. Glad to see a new IP in the Top 5.

Batman is advertised on PS4 as well, your arguments are all over the place. I nevr said pre-orders were all you mentioned, but you did mention them for a remake and a niche rare collection, yet you turn around and sat I am putting too much emphasis on pre-orders of the batman bundle? See the hypocritcal nature of your argument? Can't have your cake and eat it too. A bigger HD won't be near as big as months of pre-orders for a big franchise like batman, which is heavily advertised on PS4.

No nothing is all over the place you take my posts and omit items you don't like. Example, advertised on ps4 was only one factor. But its the only one your quoting.

Again I said look at all factors because they add up if you omit all but one, such as pre-orders, your misquoting me and miss the point. There's nothing hypocritical about anything if you actually respond to what O said instead of you deciding what ai said for me.

Again for you, all factors, also you don't know how white or 1 tb is doing so speaking in a factual tone doesn't work.

Again this is my prediction, and I'm using all factors, and my prediction is that it can go either way, feel free to disagree.

However I'm done arguing my opinions, especially since your being selective.

Javin98

Banned

LOL, are you serious? Wanna see your first reply to my post? First, I started off by saying my E3 hype almost made me forget about this thread. Then, you suddenly replied "Durr... XB1 and Wii U got E3 hype too!", which is out of context since I never mentioned either consoles. Moving on, as I was clarifying, you went on to say E3 will boost XB1 sales when I had no interest to discuss this anyway. But whatever, have it your way, I'm tired of some of these new junior members.

2thepoint

LOL, are you serious? Wanna see your first reply to my post? First, I started off by saying my E3 hype almost made me forget about this thread. Then, you suddenly replied "Durr... XB1 and Wii U got E3 hype too!", which is out of context since I never mentioned either consoles. Moving on, as I was clarifying, you went on to say E3 will boost XB1 sales when I had no interest to discuss this anyway. But whatever, have it your way, I'm tired of some of these new junior members.

Don't worry.

It seems Sony's E3 has heightened tension amongst the warriors from the opposing camps.

Let the desperation flow through ye, oh delusional ones.

Javin98

Banned
Don't worry.

It seems Sony's E3 has heightened tension amongst the warriors from the opposing camps.

Yeah, not sure why we're even talking about E3 in a sales thread (when I mentioned E3 it had nothing to do with sales).

And then when I clarified that I wasn't basing my predictions on e3 hype you basically said oh, directly implying that that's what YOU thought I was using, and putting you in the "discussion".

Lets drop it and move on.

Moving on, lets talk software charts. I believe that Batman will of course be number one.

However, I believe witcher 3 and gta will be 2 and 3.

Originally I didn't expect splatoon to chart but given the slow month I can see it around 6-9.

Doctor Professional

Please excuse my ignorance and accept my apologies in advance but have you been bish certified? I'm asking because it is my understanding that those that are, use the certification in their avatar and I see no such certification or mention of that for you.

cakely

Another monthly NPD thread, another junior that started posting less than two weeks ago, with 80+ posts in this thread, arguing about amazon sales charts.

I wonder how this will end.

j/k I know how this will end.

Doctor Professional

Please excuse my ignorance and accept my apologies in advance but have you been bish certified? I'm asking because it is my understanding that those that are, use the certification in their avatar and I see no such certification or mention of that for you.

I don't work I game retail. The way I get (occasional limited) info is through a completely different method and its not 100% ill get it.

I don't work I game retail. The way I get (occasional limited) info is through a completely different method and its not 100% ill get it.

If that's the case I believe that you need to run this method, or whatever method you use to get this data through the bish certification process otherwise it could be mistaken as you presenting your thoughts as actual fact.

If that's the case I believe that you need to run this method, or whatever method you use to get this data through the bish certification process otherwise it could be mistaken as you presenting your thoughts as actual fact.

I haven't once stated anything as fact. Not even hinted at it.

But anyway a few users pmed me, thank you, I think I should clarify I'm using a phone and my English isn't very good so if you happen to misunderstand my posts or thing I may be aggressive I apologize in advance.

On Demand

Banned
There's going to be 2 weeks of the Batman bundles accounted for in June NPD. Plus whatever pre orders from months ago. There's just no way XB1 is winning June.

It will get a sales bump too from the 1TB model and 1 week free game deal, but the PS4 has this month. Yeah maby it won't be as big as Destiny month but i think the gap will be 100K+ easily.

The two bundles are already leading at GS-

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles?nav=28-xu0,13ffff2412-4f

Don't worry.

Ugh, this is awful. Please keep the N4G console war posts out of this thread./

There's going to be 2 weeks of the Batman bundles accounted for in June NPD. Plus whatever pre orders from months ago. There's just no way XB1 is winning June.

It will get a sales bump too from the 1TB model and 1 week free game deal, but the PS4 has this month. Yeah maby it won't be as big as Destiny month but i think the gap will be 100K+ easily.

Yeah people underestimating the batman bundle big time, it's going to dominate the charts last 1-2 weeks of June. Not to mention Months of pre-orders all going to june.

And this is very significant since Gamestop holds the plurality of the video game marketshare. If you win Gamestop, you usually win in the US.

rokkerkory

And this is very significant since Gamestop holds the plurality of the video game marketshare. If you win Gamestop, you usually win in the US.

Pretty much this, gonna be close but PS4 will likely win June. I'd say within 50k.

QaaQer

I made a topic about how with the advent of digital libraries not providing BC was a huge mistake for MS because it allowed the reset button to be pressed.

BC is a huge deal. Microsoft in the pre-Ballmer-fuck-everything-up era went to great lengths to ensure a software continuum in Windows, because it meant vendor lockin.

Streaming allows for future monetization of same library, regular old BC does not. And this age of digital, regular old BC ain't happening without some-kind of monetization accruing to rights holders. Sorry.

gtj1092

False equals.

Destiny had hype for a much longer time, was from a big studio, and had a bigger marketing campaign. releasing near the holiday season outside of the slow months of the year and Xbox had nothing on the side to counter it.

I'm not underselling anything you're overselling it and comparing it to a game which was under completely different circumstances.

Xbox One is competing against the Batman bundle with not only itself getting the game but expanded White Console bundle, a 1TB SKu, games released during E3 (not releasing this month already released, MS announced certain games were available that day) Pre-orders for games that will be coming out starting early august (Rare replay, gears etc.) and the current promotions for free games.

You're only looking at one factor, you need to look at all the factors, because they all add up,

I wasn't addressing your post, I was addressing something else in the current conversation that you ended up inside of, and if I annoy you then why are you responding to me?

What are these games that release that would cause a hardware bump for x1? Also what is your prediction for the gap in June?

cakely

The PS4 Batman bundle managed to chart on monthly amazon in two previous months.

I would guess the PS4 will have a 100k lead for June NPD when all those sales are counted towards the totals for June.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Another monthly NPD thread, another junior that started posting less than two weeks ago, with 80+ posts in this thread, arguing about amazon sales charts.

Whats funny is that this is his second chance. He was already banned once... I mean come on... learn from your mistakes mate!

Yeah people underestimating the batman bundle big time, it's going to dominate the charts last 1-2 weeks of June. Not to mention Months of pre-orders all going to june.

This month and the rest of the year is going to be very interesting to watch in the USA.

It's going to be very hard to predict where both consoles will be relative to each other at the end of this year.

I think this one will survive this thread, but I fear June predictions are going to be the end of him. I get the feeling he's ramping it up for a big hit at the end of the month.

A_Gorilla

Banned

Hey come on, let's not jump the gun...

Some manage to survive for two months

Whats funny is that this is his second chance. He was already banned once... I mean come on... learn from your mistakes mate!

This month and the rest of the year is going to be very interesting to watch in the USA.

It's going to be very hard to predict where both consoles will be relative to each other at the end of this year.

I agree rest of the year but this month? Don't see what is interesting about it. Ps4 will win June.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I agree rest of the year but this month? Don't see what is interesting about it. Ps4 will win June.

I'm just talking in the general sense, in that from now to the end of the year it'll be interesting to watch. Anything could happen in the next 6 months and ultimately the cumulative sales of each console at the end of 2015 could be anywhere. :)

Especially from September onwards.

I'm just talking in the general sense, in that from now to the end of the year it'll be interesting to watch. Anything could happen in the next 6 months and ultimately the cumulative sales of each console at the end of 2015 could be anywhere. :)

Especially from September onwards.

YEs Agreed, MS is doing way better deals then Sony in the US so if sony ends up losing ground it's really on them. Don't see MS making up all the gap by the end of the year especially with a ps4 price cut coming this year and most likely battlefront Bindle, Destiny and COD marketing.,

YEs Agreed, MS is doing way better deals then Sony in the US so if sony ends up losing ground it's really on them. Don't see MS making up all the gap by the end of the year especially with a ps4 price cut coming this year and most likely battlefront Bindle, Destiny and COD marketing.,

That Battlefront bundle with a storm trooper helmet across the face of a glacier white PS4. Hmmmm...

Yep, just another alt of a previous banned person I'm sure. Crazy how they can't stay away.

I thought it was strange the way he was talking numbers but wasn't bish certified so decided not to engage with him after that.

ZhugeEX

Banned

My thoughts for a while have been that the PS4 will still remain the cumulative sales leader in the USA by the end of the year. But I'm having a hard time deciding exactly how much or how little of a lead it'll have. If Halo has the same impact it did with Xbox and Xbox 360 and Microsoft are able to lower the price for the holiday then the PS4 could be given a run for its money.

My thoughts for a while have been that the PS4 will still remain the cumulative sales leader in the USA by the end of the year. But I'm having a hard time deciding exactly how much or how little of a lead it'll have. If Halo has the same impact it did with Xbox and Xbox 360 and Microsoft are able to lower the price for the holiday then the PS4 could be given a run for its money.

I agree, sony has been complacent in the US imo, 1 TB console launching in europe in July, no word or if it will even come to NA. Not doing many good deals at all outside a few bundles. SCEA is dropping the ball imo.

Elandyll

Banned

So you assume that MS will drop their price again, but not Sony?

ZhugeEX

Banned
I agree, sony has been complacent in the US imo, 1 TB console launching in europe in July, no word or if it will even come to NA. Not doing many good deals at all outside a few bundles. SCEA is dropping the ball imo.

I wouldn't say Sony has become complacent. They're in a very strong position worldwide and in the USA. They're consistently the number one selling home console in the USA despite being the most expensive. Sony have done exactly what they have needed to in order to gain a majority in the US.

What has been a concern for Sony is what Microsoft have done for the Xbox One over the past couple of years, removing Kinect, dropping the price $100, Additional $50 price cut and aggressive bundling, exclusive US content and other deals at a time when PS4 sales are at their peak. Microsoft have come a long way in turning around the Xbox One's fortunes in the USA but are unable to become the cumulative sales leader or even sell as well as the 360 did against the PS3. Sony have done well to maintain their lead and retain strongholds in pretty much every worldwide market.

So you assume that MS will drop their price again, but not Sony?

I didn't say that.

They never learn, but to each there own.

I wouldn't say Sony has become complacent. They're in a very strong position worldwide and in the USA. They're consistently the number one selling home console in the USA despite being the most expensive. Sony have done exactly what they have needed to in order to gain a majority in the US.

What has been a concern for Sony is what Microsoft have done for the Xbox One over the past couple of years, removing Kinect, dropping the price $100, Additional $50 price cut and aggressive bundling, exclusive US content and other deals at a time when PS4 sales are at their peak. Microsoft have come a long way in turning around the Xbox One's fortunes in the USA but are unable to become the cumulative sales leader or even sell as well as the 360 did against the PS3. Sony have done well to maintain their lead and retain strongholds in pretty much every worldwide market.

I didn't say that.
well lets not forget the reveal still has a lingering effect on X1. I don't think most people thought it would start outselling ps4 normally with the price drops. To be honest the holidays were a surprise to me.

That's the beauty of these NPD threads.
Every coming month is always interesting.
Coming up:
How huge will PS4 win?
will we see a meltdown over this?
Will splatoon have tentacles?

Top Bottom