• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Wow, congrats to Sony and MS. I figured that PS4 would outsell the Xbox One this month, but I didn't think it would be so close. Also surprised at Ghosts scoring the No. 1 spot in software sales. I thought for sure this would be the year that we'd see sales decline, but I'm guessing probably a lot of people picked up a copy for PS4 and Xbox One with their launch systems.
I actually really hope that both the PS4 and Xbox One continue to sell really well to the point where there is a healthy enough install base for publishers to feel safe devoting all their resources to these new pieces of hardware rather being constrained by cross-generational games and support. The 24 percent or so decline year over year in software sales is a little concerning though, but I imagine some of those missing software sales are made up by digital purchases.

Edit: I'm and idiot again. I just worked a 12-hour shift. Lol. Any PS4 numbers? Something like 1.6 million would be a pretty big difference compared to 900,000 plus K. Glad both are selling well though.

Valkyria

Some fool on this board was telling me that how many a game sells doesn't matter if the game is good when I was saying MM's talents were wasted on Vita. I hope he sees that number, digests it, ruminates on it.

Wow, not like you are a troll or something.

javac

Tearaway looks sooo good. Shame about the sales. Hoping to pick it up soon after I work through my backlog. Hey maybe it'll be on PSN+ by then!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You're absolutely right, but there's no way they'll ever make any money on the game.

Shadow Fall cost at least $30 million to make (practically all of Guerilla joining development for the last 6 months, plus several outside contractors). I suspect they needed about ~1.5 million units sold to break even, which it could do in lifetime sales but it seems unlikely.

Launch games are pretty much considered part of the initial console R&D investment since there's no way that there will be enough of a userbase to ever turn a total profit unless they have some serious legs. The game is doing pretty damn well for a launch title, especially one that got hit with some crappy reviews.

Klocker

Sony has 2.2 million already sold (past week).

They'll sell at least 2 million on december worldwide: launches on Middle East this week, on Asia next week, and holyday sales on EEUU (big one this sunday) and Europe.

They'll get close to 4 million this year.

Xbox One has 2 millions and I expect 1 million more, at most.

They'll get near to 3 million this year (50-50 on USA maybe, 35-65 on G. Britain and far worst on other 11 countries they are).

March? PS4 will get easily to 6 million (with Japan launch included)... Xbox One will be around 4 at best.

Cool. Good to know. ;)

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Some fool on this board was telling me that how many a game sells doesn't matter if the game is good when I was saying MM's talents were wasted on Vita. I hope he sees that number, digests it, ruminates on it.

The critical reception it got should count for something as well though.

Seems to be missing Mortimer's bits and creamsugar's exclusives sales table thingy.
It's just a creamsugar compilation.

The exclusive bits are included, in the software lists.

And with all due respect to mortimer, a couple of his statements don't match NPD, so I'm not sure where he's getting them?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Not sarcastic. And I think I know a fair bit about advertising history.

Advertising is a factor, but it is almost never the factor. If a product doesn't connect with consumers, marketing will barely move the needle. Advertising is a spice not the meal.

Do you disagree that fans of failing companies and products always seem to criticize the marketing? It is an easy scapegoat, but it is never the problem. In the Wii U's case, any complaints about the confused and muddy message that Nintendo has sent about the console is dwarfed by the confused and muddy strategies that Nintendo has followed in the design of the system and it's software. You can argue that bad advertising is a symptom of larger corporate disfunction, but to say that advertising is killing the Wii U would be like saying that someone who had Ebola virus died because they were too itchy.

i think the number one issue with the Wii U is the name, as it creates confusion. that is completely a product of the marketing. do you think the hardware people think up the name at the on-set?

there are fans that probably misplace some of the misgivings of their favorite console on the marketing, but by and large the Wii U is a great example of muddy marketing messaging that has been lost in the success of a prior product.

PBY

Banned
Why do people keep asking this over and over? There is no way in hell Tearaway exists on anything but a Vita.

I don't know anything about the game? Not even asking for a PS4 port or the likelihood of a port.

Just curious about the actual functionality and machinations of the game's systems.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Nobody is going to buy a console that is just a PS4+Nintendo games-good online system. The Gamecube failed for a reason.

They don't have the support of third parties and probably never will. They don't output enough software in a wide enough variety of genres to make up for that. Their hardware is too expensive for what it is.

I think their only real path at this point is a single, unified, cheap software platform. This would allow them to instantly double their software output. And they need to make new software in genres they've rarely touched recently. They need to make non-Mario sports games. They need to make shooters. They need to make RPGs.

The GameCube had more 3rd party support than what they currently have.

They need to make it easier for third parties to port their games, they can't be the odd man out here. They've ended up putting themselves in this position and this is what they get for it.

Road

npdharndheldltd34movvcj8.png

Wish we had DS and PSP info for this year so we could make an annualized handheld sales chart to see how big the decline really is.

Klocker

i think the number one issue with the Wii U is the name, as it creates confusion. that is completely a product of the marketing. do you think the hardware people think up the name at the on-set?

there are fans that probably misplace some of the misgivings of their favorite console on the marketing, but by and large the Wii U is a great example of muddy marketing messaging that has been lost in the success of a prior product.

Agree the name was doom... too many people who bought wiis thought it was an add on to their existing system or a minor update and didn't see value at that price.

Needed a new name for sure

Tearaway number breaks my heart :(

Not surprised though.

They could make a few changes to the game for a PS4 port. It wouldn't be the same, but at least there'd be an audience for it.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Titanfall seems like type of game that will do well in the States, but not worldwide, while Infamous seems to have a broader worldwide appeal, IMO. I wouldn't bet against Infamous selling more than Titanfall on the Xbone.

Derrick01

Banned
Social metrics (twitter mentions, youtube views, etc) as dumb as they are usually are accurate predictors. Tf is trending behind infamous.

I don't believe this at all. Rather, I believe that is happening but I don't believe it actually means anything. But I've made how much I despise places like Twitter and their useless trending lists known for a while now. When the marketing forces of EA and MS kick in for that game and bombard us with so many Titanfall ads and mentions that it makes Anchorman 2's marketing campaign look like it's not even trying, that game will destroy Infamous, another entry in a mediocre and very niche franchise that, knowing Sony, will probably not be marketed as well as it needs to.

There's also some talk that titanfall 1 is going to feel more like the outline of a game moreso than a full title. It's laying the groundwork.

Now this I do believe will happen.

cafemomo

Oh man now I need to get at least one or two.

One thin to celebrate SM3DW > Knack. yeahhh!!

I don't drink, but I sure as hell will join you people.

Super Mario 3D World was a great platformer. One of the few platformers I legitimately liked. Brought a smile to my face from beginning to end.

And another shot for the Vita, greatest handheld since the GBA ;_;7

Chindogg

Since everyone's reflecting on how terrible everything did this month, were there any genuine positives outside of Xbone and PS4 hardware?

Valente

Neo Member
I expected to see at least 1.5 million for the 3ds family. There were a lot of aggressive prices on 3ds this past Black Friday & have continued in the few weeks since. 700k+ should have been at least how many they sold on Black Friday alone, forget the whole month. WiiU is a complete disaster & lost cause but that 3ds number is the one I find most worrisome.

shink

Tearaway =/
Sigh SCEA.

For the people saying it should have been on other Sony platforms I don't think they have played Tearaway.

Top Bottom