• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Madden, Fixed 3DS Minimum]

DarrenS

Looks like the Bordlerlands 2 number may be wrong.

NPD have only said that BL2 was 234% up on the original but it looks like somebody only took the 360 SKU (sales of 418k) and reached the 1.4m figure. Actual sales were 546k (across 360, PS3 and (physical) PC) which would give you 1.8m for Borderlands 2 if it was 234% up.

Blame this guy if it's wrong but if it's a great spot then it was all my own work.

jkanownik

This industry needs new price points for software more than it needs a new console generation.

Higher price points for top titles would probably be good for the industry overall, but it isn't going to happen.

Looks like the Bordlerlands 2 number may be wrong.

NPD have only said that BL2 was 234% up on the original but it looks like somebody only took the 360 SKU (sales of 418k) and reached the 1.4m figure. Actual sales were 546k (across 360, PS3 and (physical) PC) which would give you 1.8m for Borderlands 2 if it was 234% up.

Blame this guy if it's wrong but if it's a great spot then it was all my own work.

NPD restated historical numbers when they got the Walmart and TRU data. All of the old NPD numbers have potentially changed.

Hero

If Nintendo drops the MSRP of the Wii to 99.99 next month it'd probably be the best selling hardware SKU of the month. Same goes for Microsoft if they drop the price of the 360.

DarrenS

NPD restated historical numbers when they got the Walmart and TRU data. All of the old NPD numbers have potentially changed.
It can't be co-incidence that the 1.4m figure is exactly the right percentage above the 360k SKU number from the original NPD.

Looks like somebody just forgot to add in the PS3 and PC SKU when they extrapolated and all the other websites just copied the original incorrect figure.

Drago

storafötter;43131928 said:
I am kinda surprised that Starfox got sales increased. That means it is very likely that we are getting a sequel then.

Plus Starfox is getting a digital release on the eShop next week (along with a few others) so that can only help its sales, even if it isn't much

A new sequel, though? I doubt it :(

NateDrake

No, but it would have been something like this:

"PS Vita ecosystem is growing with LBP and Madden leading the way. Judging Vita sales before Christmas is preposterous and you should be ashamed for doing so. We have great stuff coming in the future for the PlayStation brand."

No, but it would have been something like this:

"PS Vita ecosystem is growing with LBP and Madden leading the way. Judging Vita sales before Christmas is preposterous and you should be ashamed for doing so. We have great momentum coming in the future for the PlayStation brand."

There.

Miles X

If Nintendo drops the MSRP of the Wii to 99.99 next month it'd probably be the best selling hardware SKU of the month. Same goes for Microsoft if they drop the price of the 360.

Yeah just like in March 11 when Wii got a price cut and in August last year when PS3 got a price cut, oh wait ... lol

$99 would not catapult Wii from 60k to 270k

I don't think Nintendo will even officially drop to 99. The money they lose from doing it will probably not be made up in the amount of sales they get back. The profits they would make from the Wii at 99 can't be all that much.

DarrenS

Yeah. 1.48m is how much it sold.

The +234% part is the weird one.
Well, the +234% is from NPD

“Borderlands 2, with its bazillion guns-a-blazing, exceeded the first month’s unit sales of the first game which launched in October 2009 by 234%," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

But I take the point that you still can't get to 1.48m from the 360 SKU. However, I thought the only "hard" number we had was from the NPD quote above. Isn't the 1.48m just a (seemingly incorrect) extrapolation? Or do you have the actual NPD numbers straight from the horses mouth?

Hero

Yeah just like in March 11 when Wii got a price cut and in August last year when PS3 got a price cut, oh wait ... lol

$99 would not catapult Wii from 60k to 270k

Yeah, because a meaningless price drop in a slow quarter is the same as dropping to 99.99 in the busiest and most important shopping period, right?

Road

Well, the +234% is from NPD

“Borderlands 2, with its bazillion guns-a-blazing, exceeded the first month’s unit sales of the first game which launched in October 2009 by 234%," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

But I take the point that you still can't get to 1.48m from the 360 SKU. However, I thought the only "hard" number we had was from the NPD quote above. Isn't the 1.48m just a (seemingly incorrect) extrapolation? Or do you have the actual NPD numbers straight from the horses mouth?

Jim Riley apparently has access to NPD sales, as he has provided sales a few times in the past. But maybe he did just try to make an extrapolation and got it all wrong this time.

Someone should try to confirming with him or NPD.

Petrae

Does Petrae have inside information like creamsugar? I can't remember.

Sadly, I no longer have access to monthly snapshots. My NPD contact and I parted ways a few weeks ago; I've been focusing on school (first semester since 1991), though I've continued to contribute some writing and analysis when time allows.

So... I'm now an Armchair Analyst in the strictest sense of the term, just like many of the rest of you here. I'm back to waiting for hopeful leaks and making my analysis based on what limited data that we're all privy to.

It was great seeing the numbers while it lasted. It's unfortunate that more of the data isn't public, because it's some fascinating stuff. Kudos to all of you who have been doing these calculations and extrapolations on your own.

Now... back to the thread at large. :)

Hammer24

Banned
1st party? That would definitely hinder Durango, I seriously doubt it.

Not necessarily. At least early in a new generation, early adopters buy the newness anyway, and usually demand exceeds supply anyway. When this situation changes, you can always stop the downporting with some PR fluff like "now this isn´t possible on the old hardware anymore" or so.

allan-bh

Sadly, I no longer have access to monthly snapshots. My NPD contact and I parted ways a few weeks ago; I've been focusing on school (first semester since 1991), though I've continued to contribute some writing and analysis when time allows.

So, the 40% drop for PS3 YoY it's not based on inside information?

Miles X

So, the 40% drop for PS3 YoY it's not based on inside information?

I'd say it's more than 40%, I doubt Wii is 65k the same as last month, probably got some sort of boost being a 5 week month, given it didn't fall that harshly from July to August.

In case anyone's interest, this is what I have for LTD (assuming the split is 200k PS3, 80k Wii this month)

Wii - 39.78m
360 - 35.05m
PS3 - 21.85m

PS2 - 46.15m

Should really keep track of Vita and 3DS, so difficult with limited numbers though :\

Not necessarily. At least early in a new generation, early adopters buy the newness anyway, and usually demand exceeds supply anyway. When this situation changes, you can always stop the downporting with some PR fluff like "now this isn´t possible on the old hardware anymore" or so.
I dunno, the Xbox versions of Kameo and PD0 were pretty close to finished but I think releasing them alongside the 360 versions would've definitely damaged the machine's reputation given how close they were (remember "Xbox 1.5"?). Kameo especially was basically the same game on 360 but running at 720p with some nicer lighting.

I dunno, the Xbox versions of Kameo and PD0 were pretty close to finished but I think releasing them alongside the 360 versions would've definitely damaged the machine's reputation given how close they were (remember "Xbox 1.5"?). Kameo especially was basically the same game on 360 but running at 720p with some nicer lighting.

If I know better, the many enemies on screen for Kameo couldn't be done on original xbox. It was touted as an xbox360 only feature or what have you. Great game, that looked and played just as good.

Out of the blue, it looks like the 360 US price drop is real, without so much as a press release from MS.

Obviously this changes the reality of 360 hw predictions for this fall, as retailers will be offering bundles/discounts on top of the $50 reduction.

Miles X

Out of the blue, it looks like the 360 US price drop is real, without so much as a press release from MS.

Obviously this changes the reality of 360 hw predictions for this fall, as retailers will be offering bundles/discounts on top of the $50 reduction.

October will be v interesting, perhaps the first time 360 breaks the 50% marketshare barrier.

jvm

Gamasutra.
That Xbox pricedrop looks even worse for Sony when you can get a 360 and Kinect for the same price as the cheapest PS3 in America.
The difference for me is PS3 without Move but decent storage vs. Xbox with tiny storage and Kinect. I personally would prefer the former but can see a lot of folks going for the latter.

The difference for me is PS3 without Move but decent storage vs. Xbox with tiny storage and Kinect. I personally would prefer the former but can see a lot of folks going for the latter.

Isn't the cheapest PS3 now $270? For the $20 difference a 16GB USB drive will cover most casual gamers. MS is missing out by not having Xbox-branded cheap memory (their cards are a joke).

donny2112

I don't see this cut actually increasing overall 360 sales much though,

It will. It's just the Kinect bundles, I think, so it may just be a way for Microsoft to clear out some overflow for the old model in their warehouses before Kinect 2.0 comes in with 720, though.

Edit:
Both Kinect bundles, but also the 250 GB standalone model. Basically, everything but their lowest priced system (i.e. Arcade) and special editions. Maybe they don't want to go lower for the entry point (until BF/Christimas runup), but are willing to take less profit on the higher margin consoles to help sales?

Miles X

I don't see this cut actually increasing overall 360 sales much though, I'd expect just more people getting the more expensive packs now they're cheaper

Kidding right? Course it'll increase sales.

@ donny, even Halo edition is cut, it's just 4GB, my betting is they want a big $149 presence on BF.

Top Bottom