• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September predictions thread

Norse

so, where's the sept npd predictions thread?......sept being the first month 360 sales should take off after everyone saw their friends playing dead rising, madden, etc for long enough to finally cave in and own a 360.

200k this month? Hellz no!

Odysseus

Banned
Normally there's a NPD preview to kick of the predictions, right?

Anyway, I wouldn't look for 360 to take off. I expect weekly rates to be largely flat, with the "monthly" number being up due to having 5 weeks instead of the usual 4.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Odysseus said:

Anyway, I wouldn't look for 360 to take off. I expect weekly rates to be largely flat, with the "monthly" number being up due to having 5 weeks instead of the usual 4.

I think NPD comes out the second thursday. So there's still a whole week before we get anything. (I could be wrong.)

rage1973

Odysseus said:

I expect a slight weekly increase this month from Saints Row and continuation of Madden and release of NBA games. I would guess at about 280k this month.

Striek

Norse, I don't know if your ticker could take the X360 sales data again this month. NPD isn't releasing it on concerns over your health :(

Norse

Striek said:
Norse, I don't know if your ticker could take the X360 sales data again this month. NPD isn't releasing it on concerns over your health :(

sooooo, youre saying the numbers will be so high that I'll get too excited and suffer a heart attack?

woo hoo! I knew Sept would be a good month! :lol

Odysseus

Banned
rage1973 said:
I expect a slight weekly increase this month from Saints Row and continuation of Madden and release of NBA games. I would guess at about 280k this month.

People expected similar effects in August due to Dead Rising and Madden at the end, despite the fact that Madden has historically never produced a bump in hardware and B titles like Dead Rising (and Saint's Row this month) aren't the type that sell systems anyway.

Regardless, your 280K isn't way above what I would guess, but my prediction will likely be in the 250-260K range, which is higher than what I would like to say in the context of historical trends, but August turned out higher than I predicted, as well.

donny2112

September is a 5-week month. August is a 4-week month. September is almost guaranteed to have a higher sell-through than August for all systems as a result
original Xbox excluded

Mashing

Clever Pun said:
Me too. What are the chances it gets even close to 100k?

I did my part atleast. But this is Capcom we're talking about. They milk everything. Okami 2 for PS3 is all but guarenteed.

jon61586

No I'm not new here, I just want to know why people should give a flying flip about a consoles sales when A. You're not a stock holder B. You have no affialiation to the company you want information for and C. If you have the console than that is all that should matter to you. I see these NPD and Media Create numbers just as fuel for fanboys and nerds alike. I find it to be a waste of time.

thirty

Banned
i predict 360s numbers will still "suck" and everyone will still be talking doom and gloom as usual when in reality 360 is going great at its price. i also predict 360s software to own the charts as usual, still get the usual "wtf how does 360 do it" yet people will still fail to make the connection and 360 will *still* be doomed. :lol

Galactic Fork

jon61586 said:
No I'm not new here, I just want to know why people should give a flying flip about a consoles sales when A. You're not a stock holder B. You have no affialiation to the company you want information for and C. If you have the console than that is all that should matter to you. I see these NPD and Media Create numbers just as fuel for fanboys and nerds alike. I find it to be a waste of time.

Well then, you should call the police and have them stop that guy from breaking into your room and forcing you at gunpoint to click on the sales age threads.

Odysseus

Banned
thirty said:
i predict 360s numbers will still "suck" and everyone will still be talking doom and gloom as usual when in reality 360 is going great at its price. i also predict 360s software to own the charts as usual, still get the usual "wtf how does 360 do it" yet people will still fail to make the connection and 360 will *still* be doomed. :lol

You forgot the endless references to the "10 million before PS3 and Wii even ship" with laughing emoticons and the rather new and innovative discussion about how 360 can't possibly lead if they fail to connect in Japan, because that is totally relevant to US NPD.

Firestorm

jon61586 said:

Some of us find the industry itself, including sales trends, to be interesting. Some of us are in the industry or want to go into the industry because we're interested. If you're passion for games only goes so far as playing them, then that's fine. But some other go beyond that a bit and like to learn about all aspects of the industry. Remember, lots of people find playing video games to be fuel for nerds and a waste of time as well =)

jon61586

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Well then, you should call the police and have them stop that guy from breaking into your room and forcing you at gunpoint to click on the sales age threads.

Sorry for expressing an opinion on a relevant subjet that differs from yours. Sorry for hurting your feelings. I also am sorry that you're one of those peoples that gets their jollies off of console sales.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
jon61586 said:

go somewhere where they don't care about console sales, i'm sure you'll be much more happier. not to mention us as well.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I only play systems that are in the top three in hardware sales. Anything lower isn't worth my time.

jon61586

davepoobond said:
go somewhere where they don't care about console sales, i'm sure you'll be much more happier. not to mention us as well.

Wow it's amazing how people get riled up over a simple comment. The wonders of anonimity on the internet got love it. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
jon61586 said:

GAF is a forum about the gaming industry. The video game industry happens to be perpetuated by businesses. Some people find this side of the industry interesting. Why? Because trends influence what we play, sales influence almost every decision a publisher makes in this industry, and to say it doesn't matter because you aren't actually invested in them is just wrong. Because when you buy and play games and like a game, this information matters to the developer who might make a sequel and to the publisher who might market that sequel. Thus you are a part of the data we talk about here every week and every month, wether you are interested or not.

If you don't want new games to be made, then sure, video game sales are irrelevant and useless, but hey were here on the internet at neogaf we want new games to come out! I don't care if you're not interested in numbers and graphs, not many people are and I don't blame them. Some of us do though, and if we want to talk about it we will. And god damn't, on this forum, it's relevant.

dili

Hopefully good numbers for Okami. Incredible game.It would be a shame if this were to not sell at least over the 200k mark for september.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
jon61586 said:
Wow it's amazing how people get riled up over a simple comment. The wonders of anonimity on the internet got love it. :)

i'm not the one getting riled up. you said it yourself you're not new here. you should know this shit already. if you don't like it, leave. no one's forcing you to stay.

Striek

jon61586 said:
The wonders of anonimity on the internet got love it.
Aww, I love this type of statement and all it implies (along with the intrinsic contradiction) - its very cute and childlike, really.

jon61586

Striek said:
Aww, I love this type of statement and all it implies (along with the intrinsic contradiction) - its very cute and childlike, really.

Personally don't realy care. Think want you want I can't stop you. Of course I would imagine you would say this is a childish comeback so I'll save you the troule 'kay?:) Oh well I guess we should get back on the topic at hand since I derailed this topic enough with my hi-jinks. Carry on! :D

Galactic Fork

I'm curious which sold better between Okami and Yakuza.

edit: Ok, so yakuza had a couple weeks head start... but still.

Norse

It just makes for some fun conversation.....its gotta be better than the majority of threads I have seen here today.

I predict over 300k 360's for sept. frickin right doggies!

Odysseus

Banned
sp0rsk said:
ME TOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PS2 230k
DS 260k
360 203k
GBA 110k
PSP 125k
GC 60k
Xbox 40k

-I think you should adjust your numbers for the five weeks versus the usual four (in case you haven't)

-I think your Xbox number should be around 10-12K, since they don't make them anymore and whatever is left in the channel is certainly not going to bump up from the last couple of months.

Norse

hmmm...here we go.

PS2 230k
DS 320k
360 303k
GBA 120k
PSP 125k
GC 50k
Xbox 10k

damn, I think I may have hit the numbers perfectly.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Odysseus said:
-I think you should adjust your numbers for the five weeks versus the usual four (in case you haven't)

-I think your Xbox number should be around 10-12K, since they don't make them anymore and whatever is left in the channel is certainly not going to bump up from the last couple of months.

oh, this is a 5 week month? Okay I'll adjust my original post.

«þ»

I won last month :D but these numbers are probably going to be very off :(

DS 300k
PS2 270k
X360 240k
GBA 165k
PSP 160k
GC 55k
XB 15k

Top Bottom