• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickFire

False

You can be black and trans and get banned.
I clicked the link you posted and the OP was banned, and the mods wrote that most moderation decisions with respect to trans issues are made by trans members of their staff. It seemed an odd statistic to me that more than 50% (definition of most) of the applicable and likely politically charged decisions were made by what I perceived to be an extremely low percentage of the overall population. So I googled what percentage of the population is trans to see if my assumption was wrong with respect to the percentage size of the population pool. According to wikipedia its .3%. To me, that is pretty weird to let a group that falls withing .3% of the population dictate what can and cannot be discussed on an issue more than 1/2 the time. Are people there to debate issues or just agree with the .3% that decides what can and cannot be debated? Getting their input makes perfect sense. But letting them be the final arbiter in most cases seems less like getting their input, and more about letting them dictate what can be discussed and that makes no sense if an actual discussion is desired IMO.

Corrik

I mean, I don't blame people who left. You barely could even have a conversation on here for months. I couldn't even have a live discussion about March Madness for heaven sakes.

Plus all the gaming reps all went there also. And most of the creative members who made nice sprawling topics.

It is a shame that the off topic side of that forum is what it is. However, it is a good forum to be on if you can separate that.

I do not understand how they have so many bans on the site and either the user base or the mods can't figure out something is wrong.

JordanN

Banned
I do not understand how they have so many bans on the site and either the user base or the mods can't figure out something is wrong.

If I ran a forum, I would reserve bans only for the most extreme offenses (i.e death threats, obscenity).

Otherwise, the problem is not the user, it's the site. I rather hear opinions I don't like, and debate back and forth why I might be wrong/right, then just outright silence any opinion that might be different. Or why call it a forum and not just an echo chamber with pre-approved responses?

I believe the only reason they're ok with being ban happy is because they're afraid of "giving platforms" or "if you believe x, than you must be part of goobaleegate".

Last edited:
If I ran a forum, I would reserve bans only for the most extreme offenses (i.e death threats, obscenity).

Otherwise, the problem is not the user, it's the site. I rather hear opinions I don't like, and debate back and forth why I might be wrong/right, then just outright silence any opinion that might be different. Or why call it a forum and not just an echo chamber with pre-approved responses?

I believe the only reason they're ok with being ban happy is because they're afraid of "giving platforms" or "if you believe x, than you must be part of goobaleegate".
I can’t speak for over there, but old Gaf here would have torn the site up if bans didn’t happen here. Gaf banned to keep the asylum happy.

zumphry

Banned

It's called a forum because uhhh

"An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages."

I think this thread kind of illuminates why the banned ones are here: you guys don't seem civil and lack tact. Like, we got someone saying "black tranny" and that person is given a warning?

Like, even allowing cross-forum drama just illuminates how petty, insecure, and toxic those banned ones are. Like, take the L and move on, or change, become better, and they'll accept you back.

I think this thread kind of illuminates why the banned ones are here: you guys don't seem civil and lack tact. Like, we got someone saying "black tranny" and that person is given a warning?

Like, even allowing cross-forum drama just illuminates how petty, insecure, and toxic those banned ones are. Like, take the L and move on, or change, become better, and they'll accept you back.

True. I've been around long enough to know that that's been a bannable offense for at least ten years.

JordanN

Banned
It's called a forum because uhhh

"An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages."
You're not seeing the forest from the trees.
There's obviously a discussion. The problem I outlined is the discussion is heavily controlled to the point responses might as well be hand picked ones, since bans are handed out left and right.

True. I've been around long enough to know that that's been a bannable offense for at least ten years.
I'm not going to defend slurs but this is one direct example of where it's better to have a conversation with stuff you don't agree with than just banning the first thing that makes you scream "omg, that's so offensive".

Both me and you don't like it, but people say objectionable stuff everyday in real life. That's just life. However, it doesn't mean people are evil from the words that come out of their mouth. Sometimes, there's more meaning.

Take the time when GAF banned the word "Cunt". You might think this is a righteous notion, because you think anyone who says "cunt" must obviously be some misogynist. But then look what happen when plenty of innocent Europeans or Australians got caught up in the mix. They were not being misogynists using the word, it's just in their vocabulary and is much more accepted to insult just about everyone and not put down woman.

We have to stop acting like the world is incredibly perfect and black and white. There are many shades of gray to be found before you can correctly assert that "oh, x person is literally the devil because he said this y word" even though there are plenty of circumstances where someone might grow up and was never taught that "oh, maybe if I say black tranny, no one will mind. Since everyone else I grew up with also didn't have a problem with it".

In fact, I feel like when you go the banning route, you're only helping to reaffirm those views. You didn't give them a good grounds to stop saying such and such words you found offensive, so why should they care when they go and spout it again on a different board?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I can’t speak for over there, but old Gaf here would have torn the site up if bans didn’t happen here. Gaf banned to keep the asylum happy.

That's really what it comes down to. My ex-mods were not bad people and they were not power hungry (with a couple exceptions). They were legit just trying to do right by the community. I'm the person they relied on for guidance and instruction on that front, and I'm the person who's been wrangling this whole thing for nearly two decades now and keeping from going off the rails when it gets close--until recently. I was too hurt in the real world last year to take charge and fix things properly when it came off the rails. I did take measures -- like trying to fix Bish's stealth ban abuse, trying to calm people the hell down and bring reason back into the fold -- but I wasn't in the right head space to go all the way with it. I also hadn't properly addressed some of my old immaturity and mistakes head-on like I needed to in order to do my job properly.

This thread isn't going to turn into the next NeoFAG or KiA or Voat or Kiwifarms thing, because I'm not going to let it. It's just part of the healing process.

VAL0R

Banned

Someone did NOT get banned for typing the phrase "black tranny"!!!? Doubleplus quick! Call the Resetera ministry of freethought! They'll know just what to do for this violation of liberal leftist groupthink! Peel them! Break them! Shake them! BAAAN THEEEM!

Slay is merely a mod. That call came from the admin level.
And he advocates for certain members and has had bans turned around in the past. Same way sweetnicole protects miraculousswidge when she goes off the rails. Point still stands. Members of the bct and trans communities get a much wider berth of how much bullshit they can sling before being “actioned”.

Last edited:

zumphry

Banned
Someone did NOT get banned for typing the phrase "black tranny"!!!? Doubleplus quick! Call the Resetera ministry of freethought! They'll know just what to do for this violation of liberal leftist groupthink! Peel them! Break them! Shake them! BAAAN THEEEM!

posts like this make you sound more retarded than the reeee users you're mocking lol

I got permed from there after about 5 posts, I asked that fucko lionpride to stop writing N****a all the time. Cue a few choice PM's from him and the next thing I was banned. Obviously he was tattling to higher ups and my ban reason "racism". Best thing they could have done, forum is dumpster fire.

Last edited:

Become better? Yeah that's not happening friend. I don't understand your point, someone here said "black tranny" therefore everyone is uncivilized? Besides you're talking about it like it's some kind of internet holy grail and we should be thankful for it existing, and yeah fuck that in the ass I'm not doing that. I'd much rather remain a cultural barbarian mocking the internet's tightest and pettiest circle jerk as much as I can because I know (and everyone here knows as well) that those feelings are mutual.

I guess it comes down to which you prefer: the possibility of eventually reading the words "black tranny" causing your asshole to explode or having to deal with frequent thought police knowing full well that the thinkpol will skull fuck you if you're not 100% aboard.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
I mean, I don't blame people who left. You barely could even have a conversation on here for months. I couldn't even have a live discussion about March Madness for heaven sakes.

Plus all the gaming reps all went there also. And most of the creative members who made nice sprawling topics.

It is a shame that the off topic side of that forum is what it is. However, it is a good forum to be on if you can separate that.

You couldn't have a reasonable conversation on GAF for years on either side, yet it is somehow even worse over on Era. It doesn't matter if you are on Gaming or on Etcera - both will have you banned for daring to have a different opinion, or be labeled as a sexist/misogynist/transphobe/racist as they push identity politics everywhere they can.

Ironic, coming from the person who takes one single post and makes a disingenuous generalization.

Gaf as it stands already is better than Era - its members tend to have reasonable discussions/debates, unlike the years of evidence to the contrary for Era and its community (if we consider Era as the same community that presided over oldGaf for years, as we should). The moderators don't ban on a dime for any perceived slight, again unlike Era. Gaf doesn't go after and try to instigate witch hunts or ruin someone's career/life, once again unlike Era.

There is a reason why people have a large disdain for that community, for those pathetic, disingenuous, high-horse assertions/claims that they like to make oh so much. Why would anyone *want* to return to such a nasty place?

As an aside: Tranny isn't a "no-no" word in certain other English speaking countries, just like cunt isn't. As JordanN JordanN had mentioned, there is a conversation to be had - one that you refuse to have and instead rely on your americanocentric world view as the "end all, be all" that all others should be like. Okay, maybe I am pushing it a bit with that last sentence - but you get the gist of what I am saying.

I got permed from there after about 5 posts, I asked that fucko lionpride to stop writing N****a all the time. Cue a few choice PM's from him and the next thing I was banned. Obviously he was tattling to higher ups and my ban reason "racism". Best thing they could have done, forum is dumpster fire.

"Slay, this neo-Nazi is whitesplaining to me that posting 'nigga' every post makes me look dumb. Do something!"

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Said something about men carrying body cameras as protection against allegations and got a perma.

They are pretty nuts over there. They would light up like Christmas trees when I would chime in on a political thread.

Hoping more of the banned users will find their way back.

zumphry

Banned
Said something about men carrying body cameras as protection against allegations and got a perma.

They are pretty nuts over there. They would light up like Christmas trees when I would chime in on a political thread.

Hoping more of the banned users will find their way back.

finally lol

Become better? Yeah that's not happening friend. I don't understand your point, someone here said "black tranny" therefore everyone is uncivilized? Besides you're talking about it like it's some kind of internet holy grail and we should be thankful for it existing, and yeah fuck that in the ass I'm not doing that. I'd much rather remain a cultural barbarian mocking the internet's tightest and pettiest circle jerk as much as I can because I know (and everyone here knows as well) that those feelings are mutual.

I guess it comes down to which you prefer: the possibility of eventually reading the words "black tranny" causing your asshole to explode or having to deal with frequent thought police knowing full well that the thinkpol will skull fuck you if you're not 100% aboard.
Why not become better?

You misunderstood because you didn't read before you hit "quote" and "reply". Like, you guys act like ResetEra is an echochamber when really your echos are just not welcome because they're pretty dick-ish and rude.

But be a cultural barbarian, I'm sure it's working wonders as you sit and steam about another community doing it's own thing without you or others.

Ironic, coming from the person who takes one single post and makes a disingenuous generalization.

Gaf as it stands already is better than Era - its members tend to have reasonable discussions/debates, unlike the years of evidence to the contrary for Era and its community (if we consider Era as the same community that presided over oldGaf for years, as we should). The moderators don't ban on a dime for any perceived slight, again unlike Era. Gaf doesn't go after and try to instigate witch hunts or ruin someone's career/life, once again unlike Era.

There is a reason why people have a large disdain for that community, for those pathetic, disingenuous, high-horse assertions/claims that they like to make oh so much. Why would anyone *want* to return to such a nasty place?

As an aside: Tranny isn't a "no-no" word in certain other English speaking countries, just like cunt isn't. As JordanN JordanN had mentioned, there is a conversation to be had - one that you refuse to have and instead rely on your americanocentric world view as the "end all, be all" that all others should be like. Okay, maybe I am pushing it a bit with that last sentence - but you get the gist of what I am saying.

Reasonable discussion? What discussion? It's all about how CNN WOULDN'T POST THIS ARTICLE and shit like that. Then you get a lot of discussion about ResetEra.

Even still, what people were banned on a dime at ResetEra? I'm actually curious because when I'm bored I read all the drama websites to just amuse myself. All I see is people whining they were banned and whenever they post the reason why it's obvious: they broke the rules mostly regarding bigotry. Then when they display their salt to their salty friends, they all hug each other, call specific ResetEra mods or users specific names (usually racist or degrading ones) because they're so upset they can't be part of that community anymore. Like, Diablos991 posted it's because he asked LionPride to stop saying the N word. Does Diablos991 tell ALL black people to do this? No. Diablos991 has a history of stirring up shit and the mods had the good judgement to just end that pretty quick after he's already had other issues there.

There doesn't seem to be a community out there that hates ResetEra or Old NeoGAF that isn't filled with racist, bigoted people all ready to call certain mods "chimps" and dox other people. Like, where is this civilized community of banned ResetEra users that aren't fucking insane? I'll wait. I'll let you in on a spoiler, it doesn't fucking exist. Like, if you want to say there's people out there who have a large disdain for them, then sure, do that, but they don't get any sympathy because they're largely fucking insane people ready to do and say shitty things about people because they are shitty people.

Also, it seems A LOT of banned people want back. Why make communities around it? Why center their discussion around that place? It's because they're jealous. They want back in. They were rejected and it hurt their ego and pride. Don't even try to lie and say they don't want back. They'd post in a heartbeat if they had an account. My bet is a lot would lay low as well 'cause they tend to be cowards.

Last edited:

Corrik

Why not become better?

You misunderstood because you didn't read before you hit "quote" and "reply". Like, you guys act like ResetEra is an echochamber when really your echos are just not welcome because they're pretty dick-ish and rude.

But be a cultural barbarian, I'm sure it's working wonders as you sit and steam about another community doing it's own thing without you or others.

Reasonable discussion? What discussion? It's all about how CNN WOULDN'T POST THIS ARTICLE and shit like that. Then you get a lot of discussion about ResetEra.

Even still, what people were banned on a dime at ResetEra? I'm actually curious because when I'm bored I read all the drama websites to just amuse myself. All I see is people whining they were banned and whenever they post the reason why it's obvious: they broke the rules mostly regarding bigotry. Then when they display their salt to their salty friends, they all hug each other, call specific ResetEra mods or users specific names (usually racist or degrading ones) because they're so upset they can't be part of that community anymore. Like, Diablos991 posted it's because he asked LionPride to stop saying the N word. Does Diablos991 tell ALL black people to do this? No. Diablos991 has a history of stirring up shit and the mods had the good judgement to just end that pretty quick after he's already had other issues there.

There doesn't seem to be a community out there that hates ResetEra or Old NeoGAF that isn't filled with racist, bigoted people all ready to call certain mods "chimps" and dox other people. Like, where is this civilized community of banned ResetEra users that aren't fucking insane? I'll wait. I'll let you in on a spoiler, it doesn't fucking exist. Like, if you want to say there's people out there who have a large disdain for them, then sure, do that, but they don't get any sympathy because they're largely fucking insane people ready to do and say shitty things about people because they are shitty people.

Also, it seems A LOT of banned people want back. Why make communities around it? Why center their discussion around that place? It's because they're jealous. They want back in. They were rejected and it hurt their ego and pride. Don't even try to lie and say they don't want back. They'd post in a heartbeat if they had an account. My bet is a lot would lay low as well 'cause they tend to be cowards.
I post on both ResetERA and NeoGAF. I can also point to countless bans that are not from obvious breaking of the rules of a normal forum.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Why not become better?

What a wonderful way of continuing a conversation - by calling someone out as a cultural barbarian. Thank you for continuing the wonderful depiction of the "a-typical" ResetEra member. /s

Just a few examples: There was the discussion of Gamergate that didn't devolve into 10 pages of bans and talks over Nier: Automata, Senran Kagura, Omega Labyrinth, and other such games that didn't get shut down because of "sexist/misogynist game"or outright banned from being talked about. How about the pages of discussion over Daniel Vavre and Colin Moriarty that wasn't jumping the gun and labeling them as sexist/transphobic/racist? Oh, then there were the various topics over cops, guns, and Trump that wasn't 40 pages of "Fuck cops/guns/trump!". People were able to talk and debate with the ever so rare apperance of a moderator to keep the peace, because they generally don't have to.

Now, compare that to ResetEra where they ban topics wholesale, make claims that someone is racist/sexist ( if you disagree, you are liable to be silenced), and moderators poking their head in at every available opportunity to push their own mindset as the only approved mindset.

Mate, there is plenty of evidence to show the unfair moderation and bans that took place in Era as well as here, before the split. There is a reason why many people despise both places and its moderation/community. Hell, people have gone out of their way to create a bot to archive the bans that (the majority of) are clearly overzealous and unneeded. These bans don't try to keep the peace, but force a specific mindset, pushing a liberal authoritarian ideology as the only acceptable form of thought.

If you look hard enough, any community has someone who can be deemed "racist/bigoted", especially when you have to stretch your idea of reality like the community over on Era does on a daily basis. Gamefaqs? Probably has someone racist/bigoted. Reddit? GiantBomb? RoosterTeeth? Hell, even ResetEra itself. But nice try with that attempt of making yourselves look like the "good guys/victims". No one is buying it.

I am confused by this statement. What communities are built around Resetera? There are a few that make mention of the site, but none that I have seen are built specifically around it or discussion about it. Is there something I missed? It certainly isn't NeoGaf as it stands.

As for those that make mention of the site, it can hardly be described as people wanting to come back in. They are laughing about the hilariously off-their-rocker mindset of its community - one that you so kindly demonstrate with your disingenuous assertions/claims.

Last edited:
Why not become better?

Because being better depends on someone judging if I'm better and that depends on me caring about said judgment to validate my improvement. And that's just not applicable here. There's no point trying to please the Resetera crowd, there wasn't one when they were still around here. You're only buying yourself time until you get kicked out for wrongthink or you simply quash yourself to the point of non-existance, so the choice between eventual ostracism or intellectual dishonesty is a really shit one. Why shouldn't they be better?

And I believe I understood you properly and sorry but I still disagree. You're trying to group us because one person said something, why should we settle for groupthink when we can think for ourselves? And like I said, Resetera isn't this internet holy grail where we should really want to go. It's a shitposting heaven where the mods will power trip on any slight chance of DANGEROUS CONTENT. Our standards shouldn't be so low. Yeah you can be around industry "insiders", but I'm not so sure why anyone would WANT to voluntarily be around gaming journos.

I'm very comfortable with Resetera doing it's thing without me. I just like openly mocking it and like I said, let's not pretend they're crazy about anyone still here. The moderation there is fucked up, it was fucked up here as well, it leads to poor group dynamics and a community distrust and lack of comradery. I call it like I see it.

bitbydeath

For shits and giggles the weaponized autist over at KiwiFarms have made a "Ban Bot" so to say.
It aggregates the band (think warnings also) via Reeeeeset.

https://resetera.github.io

They are working on extension just to gather a certain mods crazy red postings lol

It's like the Gulag Archipelago over there lol

Wow, that needs its own threads to simply find the funny ones.
Haha

EDIT: I should probably post one... this will do -

PurgeJuls (8508020)
published on May 30, 2018
Title: Pokémon Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu (Switch) announced; coming Nov 16th 2018

Reason: User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate commentary.

Guys, why are we not talking about the best part of the reveal trailer​
JHpdG3Xl.jpg
Link: https://www.resetera.com/posts/8508020/

Archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/2018053...-announced-coming-nov-16th-2018.45647/page-55

Archive.is (legacy): https://archive.is/RHiDS

3 days for that, hahaha Comedy gold

Last edited:
What a wonderful way of continuing a conversation - by calling someone out as a cultural barbarian. Thank you for continuing the wonderful depiction of the "a-typical" ResetEra member. /s

I said what he said therefore my argument is invalid. I even question your "a-typical" -- is this in reference to autism? How polite. I thought you wanted a pleasant conversation. Interesting.

Just a few examples: There was the discussion of Gamergate that didn't devolve into 10 pages of bans and talks over Nier: Automata, Senran Kagura, Omega Labyrinth, and other such games that didn't get shut down because of "sexist/misogynist game"or outright banned from being talked about. How about the pages of discussion over Daniel Vavre and Colin Moriarty that wasn't jumping the gun and labeling them as sexist/transphobic/racist? Oh, then there were the various topics over cops, guns, and Trump that wasn't 40 pages of "Fuck cops/guns/trump!". People were able to talk and debate with the ever so rare apperance of a moderator to keep the peace, because they generally don't have to.

Now, compare that to ResetEra where they ban topics wholesale, make claims that someone is racist/sexist ( if you disagree, you are liable to be silenced), and moderators poking their head in at every available opportunity to push their own mindset as the only approved mindset.
Daniel Vavre and Colin Moriarty are racists and bigots who don't really have an intelligent perspective besides racism. Do you believe Twitch should not ban IcePoesidon because he is a racist, vile asshole? At a point, decent folks just, ya know, ignore the bad people and stop platforming them. Why give attention to those who don't actually argue or discuss with facts and instead just lie, be racist, and try to play the victim?

Games with misogynistic and sexist properties get pointed out. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging and discussing problematic areas of video games. It becomes a problem when bigots try to downplay the issue as "you're whining". If you cannot see how that's de-constructive to an actual conversation (one you seem particularly fond of), I can only assume you don't like to conversate but would rather be the one to give orders.

You don't seem to understand there isn't really a debate without proper moderation. People saying racist, bigot, or being purposely triggering aren't doing anything to gain any kind of insight or perspective; they don't add anything. Anyone who values a good discussion knows this.

Mate, there is plenty of evidence to show the unfair moderation and bans that took place in Era as well as here, before the split. There is a reason why many people despise both places and its moderation/community. Hell, people have gone out of their way to create a bot to archive the bans that (the majority of) are clearly overzealous and unneeded. These bans don't try to keep the peace, but force a specific mindset, pushing a liberal authoritarian ideology as the only acceptable form of thought.
Which ones are wrong? A person gets banned for going into a Pokemon thread just to objectify a woman's ass? Oh know! Like, imagine if you were at a restaurant with your friends or family and the waitress is there and you say outloud, "Don't mind the food, but check out this ass!" and you point to it. I would hope your friends and family (and even the waitress) would actually call you out on it. Can you provide specific examples of where there was no wrongdoing in those bans?

If you look hard enough, any community has someone who can be deemed "racist/bigoted", especially when you have to stretch your idea of reality like the community over on Era does on a daily basis. Gamefaqs? Probably has someone racist/bigoted. Reddit? GiantBomb? RoosterTeeth? Hell, even ResetEra itself. But nice try with that attempt of making yourselves look like the "good guys/victims". No one is buying it.
You didn't answer the question. Where is this community of banned NeoGAF and ResetERA users that aren't vile, toxic, bigoted, etc. Like, where? I am actually curious. You can't side step that.

I am confused by this statement. What communities are built around Resetera? There are a few that make mention of the site, but none that I have seen are built specifically around it or discussion about it. Is there something I missed? It certainly isn't NeoGaf as it stands.

As for those that make mention of the site, it can hardly be described as people wanting to come back in. They are laughing about the hilariously off-their-rocker mindset of its community - one that you so kindly demonstrate with your disingenuous assertions/claims.
Evilore already mentioned some sites that have a heavy focus on NeoGAF and ResetEra. If you don't believe that then you're being willfully ignorant (since you could, ya know, google them yourself).

If people spend time daily to bitch about a place they are banned from then chances are they want back in. Those who moved on clearly don't want back in 'cause, ya know, they don't make it their daily focus.

Because being better depends on someone judging if I'm better and that depends on me caring about said judgment to validate my improvement. And that's just not applicable here. There's no point trying to please the Resetera crowd, there wasn't one when they were still around here. You're only buying yourself time until you get kicked out for wrongthink or you simply quash yourself to the point of non-existance, so the choice between eventual ostracism or intellectual dishonesty is a really shit one. Why shouldn't they be better?

And I believe I understood you properly and sorry but I still disagree. You're trying to group us because one person said something, why should we settle for groupthink when we can think for ourselves? And like I said, Resetera isn't this internet holy grail where we should really want to go. It's a shitposting heaven where the mods will power trip on any slight chance of DANGEROUS CONTENT. Our standards shouldn't be so low. Yeah you can be around industry "insiders", but I'm not so sure why anyone would WANT to voluntarily be around gaming journos.

I'm very comfortable with Resetera doing it's thing without me. I just like openly mocking it and like I said, let's not pretend they're crazy about anyone still here. The moderation there is fucked up, it was fucked up here as well, it leads to poor group dynamics and a community distrust and lack of comradery. I call it like I see it.

See, you say all this but it's quite clear you do value their opinion or else you wouldn't even bother with them.

Y'all can't say you don't fuck with it but then try to fuck with it all day. It doesn't compute on any level.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

That is not true. RiskyChris (aka patient zero) was here in 2010 and was laughed off the forum for attacking people who said ‘tranny’.

Corrik

Can you provide specific examples of where there was no wrongdoing in those bans?

User Banned (3 Days): Arguing in bad faith.
Didn’t he say earlier that anyone could use that word. I feel like he baited that lady into it and then ripped on her.
May 22, 2018

User Banned (A Week): Arguing in bad faith.
"Man down
Where you from, nigga?"
"Fuck who you know, where you from, my nigga?"
"Where your grandma stay, huh, my nigga?"
"This m.A.A.d city I run, my nigga"

what's a nonblack person supposed to say here if they're rapping along. like bleep or pause or what
May 22, 2018

Don't fucking invite a white fan to the stage then. That song is full of that word, feels like he did that shit on purpose.
May 22, 2018

So the acceptable useage is not to sing the song but listen to it only ? I don’t listen to rap and r&b at all but want to know how a brown man like me should approach engaging with the music
May 22, 2018

Lmao the song is filled with the word. Dude shouldn't even have called the white person on the stage to sing along with him.
May 22, 2018

He invited her on stage to sing though?
May 22, 2018

She shouldn't have said it, and he shouldn't have invited some drunk white girl on stage to sing a song with him that uses the word 28 times.
May 22, 2018

User Banned (3 Days): Attempt to assign equal blame despite Mod Post at OP.
Both of them made mistakes both of them said sorry. End of story
May 22, 2018

Kendrick Lamar should have just told her before she went up on stage to clear up any confusion. If a black author asked me to be the voice of their novel for the audiobook version, and the book contained the n-word, i would say it. Similarly if i was cast in the part of a play, written by a black author, where a character said the n-word, i would assume they want me to say. So if a black lyricist wants me to repeat their lyrics, i don't think it’s unreasonable to confused about whether or not to say the n-word contained in those lyrics.
May 22, 2018

User Banned (3 Days): Attempt to shift some blame to Kendrick's choice of song) despite Mod Post at OP.
While its all on her and she shouldnt have said it and not on him i do feel that once the person she chose was white he should have picked a diff song that didnt use the word that often.

i will never understand why this word is still used in general but im not black so ill never say it.
May 22, 2018

-----------
This is one page. Notice how some get week bans and such while a person that said someone needs to attack and devastate Republicans and their families so they finally "get it" (that they are monsters) was given a 3 day ban.

Where is the bigotry? Many of these are stating an opinion, offering opinions on how to avoid the situation, or even just asking questions. One even got banned for saying both sides were wrong and both sides apologized.

Show me exactly where all these bans are justified under the terms you used above?

I know you are going to hard defend the bans regardless, which shows your motives here, but I want to be humored by them.

Didn’t he say earlier that anyone could use that word. I feel like he baited that lady into it and then ripped on her.
May 22, 2018

Yes. He purposely baited a white person into saying the N word. Yes, that was Kendrick's game. The person is downplaying the severity of the problem. Like, he knows what he's doing on some level to make that argument.

"Man down
Where you from, nigga?"
"Fuck who you know, where you from, my nigga?"
"Where your grandma stay, huh, my nigga?"
"This m.A.A.d city I run, my nigga"
Read the entire argument.

what's a nonblack person supposed to say here if they're rapping along. like bleep or pause or what
May 22, 2018
How is this even for debate? It's stirring the pot. Happens in every thread revolving the N-word so it's wise to clamp down on those purposely being ignorant just to "have a conversation".

Don't fucking invite a white fan to the stage then. That song is full of that word, feels like he did that shit on purpose.
May 22, 2018
Blaming black people for white people being racist. She can avoid the word easily. Like, I can when I sing along. It aint hard.

So the acceptable useage is not to sing the song but listen to it only ? I don’t listen to rap and r&b at all but want to know how a brown man like me should approach engaging with the music
May 22, 2018
"I don't listen to rap and R&B" so why is he concerned? Why indeed? Like, the answer is pretty fucking obvious and spelled out many times in that thread. Do. Not. Say. It. If. You're. Not. Black.

Lmao the song is filled with the word. Dude shouldn't even have called the white person on the stage to sing along with him.
May 22, 2018
Again; blaming black people for white people being racist.

He invited her on stage to sing though?
May 22, 2018
User's history, maybe mod warned the thread. Reason for ban is obvious.

She shouldn't have said it, and he shouldn't have invited some drunk white girl on stage to sing a song with him that uses the word 28 times.
May 22, 2018
Still blaming black people for her racism.

User Banned (3 Days): Attempt to assign equal blame despite Mod Post at OP.
Both of them made mistakes both of them said sorry. End of story
May 22, 2018
Like, it's in the message you posted.

Kendrick Lamar should have just told her before she went up on stage to clear up any confusion. If a black author asked me to be the voice of their novel for the audiobook version, and the book contained the n-word, i would say it. Similarly if i was cast in the part of a play, written by a black author, where a character said the n-word, i would assume they want me to say. So if a black lyricist wants me to repeat their lyrics, i don't think it’s unreasonable to confused about whether or not to say the n-word contained in those lyrics.
May 22, 2018
I hope me explaining these to you has made you understand so far.

User Banned (3 Days): Attempt to shift some blame to Kendrick's choice of song) despite Mod Post at OP.
While its all on her and she shouldnt have said it and not on him i do feel that once the person she chose was white he should have picked a diff song that didnt use the word that often.
Get it yet?

i will never understand why this word is still used in general but im not black so ill never say it.
May 22, 2018
Trying to say black people shouldn't use it. Like, YOU HAVE TO GET IT BY NOW... RIGHT?!

-----------
This is one page. Notice how some get week bans and such while a person that said someone needs to attack and devastate Republicans and their families so they finally "get it" (that they are monsters) was given a 3 day ban.

Where is the bigotry? Many of these are stating an opinion, offering opinions on how to avoid the situation, or even just asking questions. One even got banned for saying both sides were wrong and both sides apologized.

Show me exactly where all these bans are justified under the terms you used above?

I know you are going to hard defend the bans regardless, which shows your motives here, but I want to be humored by them.

Yeah, bans depend on user's history, post length, and if they ignored mod warnings already (and that thread had one).

The person was still banned for 3 days for his comments on Republicans. That's in line with the previous bans you brought up.

It's bigotry because just because he says it doesn't mean she can. Her listening to a song doesn't give her permission. She messed up. He didn't. That's all there is to it. Trying to skirt and put blame elsewhere that isn't the woman is racist. Most people agree on this which is why you only have racist people saying Kendrick was in the wrong.

At the end of the day, it's hard to say the bans aren't justified because toxicity isn't extreme. It's moderate. It's "just asking questions". These spread, fester, and influence others because if people see questions about "unknown" things then it becomes debateable. It's why places stopped the nonsense of debating or arguing with climate change deniers because having a conversation is influential and therefore not productive because the answer is already there. So when someone goes, "hey, why would he bring her up to sing a song if it has the N word in it?" it raises some concerns as this person is knowingly or unknowingly peddling talking points that undermines racial equality. Feigning ignorance isn't a good excuse because, well, they have higher standards. Do better or get kicked out. There's plenty of places online that will entertain those lines of thought -- maybe go there if you want that type of discussion?

Last edited:

Corrik

Yes. He purposely baited a white person into saying the N word. Yes, that was Kendrick's game. The person is downplaying the severity of the problem. Like, he knows what he's doing on some level to make that argument.

How is this even for debate? It's stirring the pot. Happens in every thread revolving the N-word so it's wise to clamp down on those purposely being ignorant just to "have a conversation".

Blaming black people for white people being racist. She can avoid the word easily. Like, I can when I sing along. It aint hard.

"I don't listen to rap and R&B" so why is he concerned? Why indeed? Like, the answer is pretty fucking obvious and spelled out many times in that thread. Do. Not. Say. It. If. You're. Not. Black.

Get it yet?

Trying to say black people shouldn't use it. Like, YOU HAVE TO GET IT BY NOW... RIGHT?!

Yeah, bans depend on user's history, post length, and if they ignored mod warnings already (and that thread had one).

The person was still banned for 3 days for his comments on Republicans. That's in line with the previous bans you brought up.

It's bigotry because just because he says it doesn't mean she can. Her listening to a song doesn't give her permission. She messed up. He didn't. That's all there is to it. Trying to skirt and put blame elsewhere that isn't the woman is racist. Most people agree on this which is why you only have racist people saying Kendrick was in the wrong.

At the end of the day, it's hard to say the bans aren't justified because toxicity isn't extreme. It's moderate. It's "just asking questions". These spread, fester, and influence others because if people see questions about "unknown" things then it becomes debateable. It's why places stopped the nonsense of debating or arguing with climate change deniers because having a conversation is influential and therefore not productive because the answer is already there. So when someone goes, "hey, why would he bring her up to sing a song if it has the N word in it?" it raises some concerns as this person is knowingly or unknowingly peddling talking points that undermines racial equality. Feigning ignorance isn't a good excuse because, well, they have higher standards. Do better or get kicked out. There's plenty of places online that will entertain those lines of thought -- maybe go there if you want that type of discussion?
Color me surprised.

And, sorry, bud, but no. You are 100% wrong, and I can say that here. Singing along to a song that says a slur that was marketed to your demographic among others does not make you racist, as long as the song itself is not racist

There is a huge difference between singing along to a that is made by a racist that demeans a race (David Allen Coe I think was one... Not sure) and singing along to a song that uses the word in a non-demeaning way and possibly even in a proud way.

Until you say, my music is not for white people. Then acting like white people cannot sing the music that you market to them also is just plain stupidity.

I also think it is hilarious that you are so blind that you think each and every ban ever on that forum is legit. But, like I said, we already knew your response before you made it.

Color me surprised.

And, sorry, bud, but no. You are 100% wrong, and I can say that here. Singing along to a song that says a slur that was marketed to your demographic among others does not make you racist, as long as the song itself is not racist

There is a huge difference between singing along to a that is made by a racist that demeans a race (David Allen Coe I think was one... Not sure) and singing along to a song that uses the word in a non-demeaning way and possibly even in a proud way.

Until you say, my music is not for white people. Then acting like white people cannot sing the music that you market to them also is just plain stupidity.

I also think it is hilarious that you are so blind that you think each and every ban ever on that forum is legit. But, like I said, we already knew your response before you made it.
That does make you racist. Your lack of insight is why you prob are banned there. 2018 called the majority decided that anyone besides black people using the N word is racist.

Like, if you're banned there then you deserved it if this is how you act.

JordanN

Banned
My opinion, I have no idea where this crap came from that words can be restricted by race.
I don't believe words belong to any race anymore than saying only Anglo-Saxons can speak English.

Intent matters more. Someone who sings a song isn't signalling they're getting their KKK robes ready and about to burn a cross. They wouldn't need to say a word to do that, they would skip straight to the cross burning part.
Otherwise, getting offended over this stuff looks extremely silly when there's zero malice involved.

Last edited:
My opinion, I have no idea where this crap came from that words can be restricted by race.
I don't believe words belong to any race anymore than saying only Anglo-Saxons can speak English.

Intent matters more. Someone who sings a song isn't signalling they're getting their KKK robes ready and about to burn a cross. They wouldn't need to say a word to do that, they would skip straight to the cross burning part.
No one said you are KKK for saying the N word but that you are racist.

Intent doesn't matter.

Y'all need help.

JordanN

Banned

Intent doesn't matter.

Y'all need help.
You have to inform me what definition of racism are you using.
I'm going by this: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. "

Calling it antagonism is a stretch, since the offense comes from which skin color says it, and not the word itself.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
That does make you racist. Your lack of insight is why you prob are banned there. 2018 called the majority decided that anyone besides black people using the N word is racist.

Like, if you're banned there then you deserved it if this is how you act.

I think calling someone a racist is a very serious thing. I am amazed you are able to determine Corrik is a racist because he doesn’t agree with you about singing rap lyrics at a rap concert. He could be the type of person who has treated everyone with nothing but kindness and respect in real life his whole life, but you’ve jumped to labeling him as a racist right away. You also didn’t really touch on any of his points.

Last edited:
I think calling someone a racist is a very serious thing. I am amazed you are able to determine Corrik is a racist because he doesn’t agree with you about singing rap lyrics at a rap concert. He could be the type of person who has treated everyone with nothing but kindness and respect in real life his whole life, but you’ve jumped to labeling him as a racist right away. You also didn’t really touch on any of his points.
I bet for a living. I'm pretty sure the odds are with me if I bet he's a racist, and my reasoning is him trying to weasel out reasons why a white person saying the N word isn't racist.

It's only serious if the person is racist because they make a big stink outta it.

Y'all need to be more like my mom where she'll freely admit and go about her day. Saves everyone the hassle.

Last edited:
Exactly. Labeling someone a racist or nazi imo is a very serious charge. And not something you throw out because you disagree with someone on an issue.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit

Intent doesn't matter.

Y'all need help.

The only one here who needs help is you, mate.

I said what he said therefore my argument is invalid. I even question your "a-typical" -- is this in reference to autism? How polite. I thought you wanted a pleasant conversation. Interesting.

Are you seriously trying to infer that the term "atypical" refers to autism? Look up a dictionary and educate yourself before making such a hilariously off-base claim.

Daniel Vavre and Colin Moriarty are racists and bigots who don't really have an intelligent perspective besides racism. Do you believe Twitch should not ban IcePoesidon because he is a racist, vile asshole? At a point, decent folks just, ya know, ignore the bad people and stop platforming them. Why give attention to those who don't actually argue or discuss with facts and instead just lie, be racist, and try to play the victim?

How are they racists? How are they bigots? This has been discussed ad nauseum here with good discussion on both sides, with no evidence to either claim - but making blanket statements devoid of discussion (exactly what happened over on ResetEra) prevents from actual understanding to occur.

Also, I love the strawman that you pulled as well as the irony in the last sentence. "Why give attention to those who don't actually argue or discuss with facts and instead just lie... and try to play the victim." That is exactly what you are doing, mate.

Games with misogynistic and sexist properties get pointed out. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging and discussing problematic areas of video games. It becomes a problem when bigots try to downplay the issue as "you're whining". If you cannot see how that's de-constructive to an actual conversation (one you seem particularly fond of), I can only assume you don't like to conversate but would rather be the one to give orders.

This would be fine if discussion could occur, except it can't. It is either sexist or you are wrong. That is the mindset that is perpetrated in those threads. If you don't see it as sexist, you are warned/banned for perpetrating sexism or using sexist rhetoric as can be seen time and again from the links and examples used in this thread thanks to the bot.

Now, bigots? Nice job trying to suggest that everyone who disagrees is a bigot instead of someone with a different point of view from the "always offended". If you cannot see how that's de-constructive to an actual conversation (one that you seem particularly fond of), I can only assume you don't like to converse, but would rather be the one to give orders (see what I did there?).

You don't seem to understand there isn't really a debate without proper moderation. People saying racist, bigot, or being purposely triggering aren't doing anything to gain any kind of insight or perspective; they don't add anything. Anyone who values a good discussion knows this.

The one who doesn't seem to understand is you. As can be seen throughout the forums, you can have a discussion with proper moderation that doesn't rely on overhanded methods trying to push a very specific viewpoint/ideology. Trying to make claims that someone is saying something racist/bigotted/triggering to silence their opinion, because you don't like it, doesn't add anything. Anyone who values good discussion knows this.

Which ones are wrong? A person gets banned for going into a Pokemon thread just to objectify a woman's ass? Oh know! Like, imagine if you were at a restaurant with your friends or family and the waitress is there and you say outloud, "Don't mind the food, but check out this ass!" and you point to it. I would hope your friends and family (and even the waitress) would actually call you out on it. Can you provide specific examples of where there was no wrongdoing in those bans?

Corrick already pointed out a number of great examples.

You didn't answer the question. Where is this community of banned NeoGAF and ResetERA users that aren't vile, toxic, bigoted, etc. Like, where? I am actually curious. You can't side step that.

I did answer it. Using the same thought process and methodology as you (and ResetEra as a whole) use, there isn't a place that doesn't contain SOMEONE that you would deem as a racist/bigot/toxic/vile person. RoosterTeeth, GiantBomb, NeoGaf, Reddit, EscapistMagazine, AchievementHunter, FunHaus, IGN, Gamespot, MMORPG.com, etc. Each and every single place has had members banned from NeoGaf/ResetEra. Each and every single place you are so intent on labeling as communities that are vile/bigoted/etc.

That is because you specifically look for that one or two people you consider awful and make a generalization over thousands of people just so you can say, "See?! I told you that the place is full of awful, vile, transpobic/bigot/racist/sexist/misogynist/hateful people!".

Evilore already mentioned some sites that have a heavy focus on NeoGAF and ResetEra. If you don't believe that then you're being willfully ignorant (since you could, ya know, google them yourself).

Those sites being NeoFAG, KiA, Voat, or Kiwifarms, right?

Just a cursory glance over to those sites, Kiwifarms does not have a heavy focus on NeoGAF/ResetEra at all, unless you count one thread out of thousands to be a "heavy focus". KiA is the same way, with very few mentions of ResetEra/NeoGaf.

NeoFag I will concede on, but that really isn't proof of your claim. One site out of hundreds does not make for a good statistical average for you.

If people spend time daily to bitch about a place they are banned from then chances are they want back in. Those who moved on clearly don't want back in 'cause, ya know, they don't make it their daily focus.

Both I and others have stated otherwise, but you are very intent on keeping this silly narrative of yours. I am beginning to question whether you actually want to have a debate/discussion or if you just want to throw out disingenuous/ignorant claims.

I bet for a living. I'm pretty sure the odds are with me if I bet he's a racist, and my reasoning is him trying to weasel out reasons why a white person saying the N word isn't racist.

It's only serious if the person is racist because they make a big stink outta it.

Y'all need to be more like my mom where she'll freely admit and go about her day. Saves everyone the hassle.

Oh. Okay that answers my question. You absolutely do not want to have an actual conversation, instead you want to throw out serious claims because you disagree with someone's opinion. Get help, please.

It's Jeff

Banned

Get it yet?

The fact that there are so many differing opinions on this should be evidence enough that we don't have an answer for this, let alone a graceful one. Banning anybody who voices this won't lead us to that solution, either.

The truth is NONE OF US is qualified to speak to everyone and parse out who can say what and when. Personally, I hate the fucking word. It's degrading and diminutive, and a generation of performers are cashing in on the controversy. It doesn't make me right. Much like yourself and everyone in this thread, I don't know shit. Admitting it helps. Means I can learn something.

The problem is you're speaking, arrogantly at that, as though you have some authority on the matter. Nobody does. There is no monarch of black language, we held no elections, and when debated, bannings were doled out like free cheese. Be honest, are you really willing to be convinced by another person in this thread? If so, discuss away. If not, don't expect anybody else to listen. That's just ruffling feathers to fellate your ego.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
It is fascinating how people appear out of the woodwork when certain topics or hot button issues come up. You see a profile that was practically inactive, then bam, a troll catches a ban and they post more times in hours than they have in 6 months.

Exactly. Labeling someone a racist or nazi imo is a very serious charge. And not something you throw out because you disagree with someone on an issue.
No one is actually calling someone racist for no reason. Racists just don't want to acknowledge their racism so it's easier to argue they're not racist because a discussion to them automatically means an unclear answer.

Like, it's a simple tactic but it works well: worked for climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, anti-GMI, anti-abortion, etc. Create a conversation and the world believes it's unclear. No point in arguing whether or not people are racists for weaseling around defending a white person saying the N word, you're just racist. Acknowledge and fix it and move on, or dig deep, argue, and eventually lose more than just your pride and ego 'cause let's face it, racism isn't a good look in public and y'all know that (which is why you argue online instead of public places IRL).

No one is actually calling someone racist for no reason. Racists just don't want to acknowledge their racism so it's easier to argue they're not racist because a discussion to them automatically means an unclear answer.

Like, it's a simple tactic but it works well: worked for climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, anti-GMI, anti-abortion, etc. Create a conversation and the world believes it's unclear. No point in arguing whether or not people are racists for weaseling around defending a white person saying the N word, you're just racist. Acknowledge and fix it and move on, or dig deep, argue, and eventually lose more than just your pride and ego 'cause let's face it, racism isn't a good look in public and y'all know that (which is why you argue online instead of public places IRL).
Why don't you do like you say your mom did and admit it. Your only reason here on these boards is to be a shit head. Seeing as how you hardly ever post except to say shitty things about the site and it's members. You don't seem to have anything to say except negative things.

What would I lose in real life? The land, house, cars... all are owned. Not going any where. All are as safe. So I don't understand that point.

Why don't you do like you say your mom did and admit it. Your only reason here on these boards is to be a shit head. Seeing as how you hardly ever post except to say shitty things about the site and it's members. You don't seem to have anything to say except negative things.

What would I lose in real life? The land, house, cars... all are owned. Not going any where. All are as safe. So I don't understand that point.
Nope. Just posting. However, my style won't change, so if I do get banned for this, I really, really, really hope you labor over the injustice that could be done to me as I'm being silenced similar to how people on ResetEra are banned for being racist.

I'm in a negative thread about negativity. Should I be positive and go, "Racism is A-OK!"?

Seems, ya know, dumb.

Nope. Just posting. However, my style won't change, so if I do get banned for this, I really, really, really hope you labor over the injustice that could be done to me as I'm being silenced similar to how people on ResetEra are banned for being racist.

I'm in a negative thread about negativity. Should I be positive and go, "Racism is A-OK!"?

Seems, ya know, dumb.
And the other threads?

It’s not your fault, it’s the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom