• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

We were gonna early vote today. Forget it. Both stations had lines wrapping the full way around the block. Not an exaggeration, and not thin lines either. Um, I'll wait until Tuesday to wait in lines. At least I can just walk halfway down the block to do it. PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
We were gonna early vote today. Forget it. Both stations had lines wrapping the full way around the block. Not an exaggeration, and not thin lines either. Um, I'll wait until Tuesday to wait in lines. At least I can just walk halfway down the block to do it. PEACE.

Yeah, the lines down here for early voting stretched from at least a 2 hour wait up to around a 4 hour wait. And there are multiple early voting stations, too, with all of them being flooded by the amount of voters. Good site to see, though.

I voted for Bush but I think Kerry will win now. The election is too close for an incumbent to win. I just hope that crazy woman becomes a recluse as first lady.

Pimpwerx

Well, Kerry's currently leading 20-7 with 5 minutes left in the 4th. Bush is over! :D Oh yeah, I'm gonna be way off with my pathetic guess of 40% turnout. I figured the number of voters would be around the same despite the higher registrations, but I don't think so. The turnout is nuts so far. I hope they're all voting Kerry or Nader. ;) PEACE.

Alcibiades

CrimsonSkies said:
I voted for Bush but I think Kerry will win now. The election is too close for an incumbent to win. I just hope that crazy woman becomes a recluse as first lady.
I'm somewhat inclined to your feelings...

I don't want to link, but everyone should go to zogby's site... young cell-phone-only poll shows Kerry with a 15-point lead, that's the Michael Moore, "Vote or Die" P. Diddy crowd Parker and Stone were referring to...

Plus, there's tons of cross-registration with people that voted in both Flordia and Ohio, and the Democrats just got organized early this time...

responding to the assertions in Moore's movie should have been more pronounced and a lot earlier... the ignorance of young people (i.e. all my friends & my bro) amazed me...

I'm not surprised though, one of them though Bush was involved in 9/11 since 2001... misinformation is just rampart... One of them (a best friend of mine) was preaching to me in 2002 something like "Time magazine reported how Bush was involved in 9/11 and how it wasn't Muslims and the faces and names were made up"... Disturbing, but Republicans messed up by not controlling the dialogue more during the summer to counter Moore's movie...

Bat

The amount of people who think Iraq was responsible for 9/11 FAR outweighs the few that think Bush played a part in it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Earlier you said it wasn't just Michael Moore, but your postings betray you. You just can't think of anything else to say about the Democrats and their motivations, can you. Next election do more reading.

I am against Bush for another reason (besides that whole Iraq and domestic policy thing). He voted against the creation of the wild card when he was owner of the Rangers.

George W. Bush. Anti-Astros. Anti-Red Sox. Anti-America. :p

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Bat said:
The amount of people who think Iraq was responsible for 9/11 FAR outweighs the few that think Bush played a part in it.

This is the truth. The race wouldn't even be close if the majority of voters were well informed.

Alcibiades

actually, you're right about that, though I haven't seen recent polls...

that said, although both are not proven, one is a crazy conspiracy theory that is just crazy and the other is, while not true, not the craziest idea for someone connecting dots (no matter how wrong it is and how there is no evidence to support that)... I mean, I don't think Osama and Saddam were ever working together, but if I had to guess as to which was more likely (separate from whether they are true), Iraq and Saddam having a casual relationship or Bush and the Jews fabricating an incident and blaming it on the Muslims, I'd go with the former...

Bat

efralope said:
actually, you're right about that, though I haven't seen recent polls...

that said, although both are not proven, one is a crazy conspiracy theory that is just crazy and the other is, while not true, not the craziest idea for someone connecting dots (no matter how wrong it is and how there is no evidence to support that)... I mean, I don't think Osama and Saddam were ever working together, but if I had to guess as to which was more likely (separate from whether they are true), Iraq and Saddam having a casual relationship or Bush and the Jews fabricating an incident and blaming it on the Muslims, I'd go with the former...

Neither theory has any evidence going for it whatsoever. The only difference I see that the Vice President was adament about one being true.

Also, you greatly overestimate how many people actually believe the Bush conspiracy theory....no one in the mainstream actually believes that.

Um, it's not Michael Moore that's shaken Democrats off their asses, efralope, it's George W. Bush. Granted, the movie hit some chords, but it's not NEARLY the vote-swayer you've been so fond of reporting with anecdotal evidence.

Anyway, here's something funny from DailyKos:

Poor Chris Wallace, did you see him this morning on Fox News Sunday have to painfully flash that graphic up there --you know, the one showing Bush and Kerry tied -- before quickly shunting it aside? (They immediately replaced it with -- and left on screen far longer -- a "poll of polls" graphic showing Bush up two points.)

Hmmm...that's funny, but I seem to recall that when Bush was +5, according to Fox News's own poll just three days ago, the network seemed to gleefully, and quite frequently, tout Bush's lead. The president, after all, was surging. Now that Bush is tied, according to Fox News, they don't want to report their own poll numbers. (Yes, I admit that I like saying, with deep intonation of authority, "according to Fox News"; try it at home, it's fun.)

The truth is - and here's their own damn memo, if you doubt me - that, according to Fox News (hehehe), among likely voters Bush went from a 7-point lead on Oct 17/18, to five points by Oct 27/28, to two points on Oct28/29, to tied as of today. Even with his shoes on, Fred Barnes can calculate that as a 7-point drop in two weeks. Here's a fun experiment: Try to imagine if the president had improved seven points during the past two weeks: Fox News would have a perma-graphic in the bottom-right corner of the screen, and Kristol and the Beltway Boys would be chirp, chirp, chirping!

If Fox News cannot report their own poll numbers, what will they resort to next? Here's a suggestion, Roger Ailes: Borrow a page from the Bush playbook and create long-term averages by grouping recent numbers with older ones. For example, much like my "average" tax cut in a room with 98 other state university professors, plus Bill Gates, is something in the five figures, why not average all the "favorability" numbers for Bush since, oh, mid-September 2001, when they were at their highest? I'd bet the average during the past three years is at least 60 percent - maybe 65 percent - favorable.

Then report: "Bush's average favorability rating as a post-9/11 president is 65 percent."

:lol :lol

Btw, major slippage in Ohio and Florida for the incumbent...

MIMIC

Banned
:lol Saw this at another forum:

allyourstate.jpg

What's an election year without the republicans trying to disenfranchise voters?

From Ohio,

lakecounty.gif

Alabama,

JeffCo2004.gif

Head to DailyKos to read actual reports of the repugs playing dirty.

:lol

cvxfreak

KE04 said:
What's an election year without the republicans trying to disenfranchise voters?

From Ohio,

lakecounty.gif

Alabama,

JeffCo2004.gif

Head to DailyKos to read actual reports of the repugs playing dirty.

:lol

:lol:lol:lol

On local Cincinnati TV, they're showing Bush down at the ballpark down here. God, it looks like the entire city is there.

It kinda scares me.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
KE04 said:
Yeah, the lines down here for early voting stretched from at least a 2 hour wait up to around a 4 hour wait. And there are multiple early voting stations, too, with all of them being flooded by the amount of voters. Good site to see, though.

i waited in line for 4 hours and got a sunburn, stupid florida

young cell-phone-only poll shows Kerry with a 15-point lead, that's the Michael Moore, "Vote or Die" P. Diddy crowd Parker and Stone were referring to...

That's one incredibly didactic, myopic assumption. So, what you're saying is everyone under the age of 30 who only uses a cell phone is some uber-liberal brainwashed nut job?

Idiotic.

*Noel Coward Parody

N Coward Parody said:
That's one incredibly didactic, myopic assumption. So, what you're saying is everyone under the age of 30 who only uses a cell phone is some uber-liberal brainwashed nut job?

Idiotic.

*Noel Coward Parody

Just as Rock the Vote skewed WAY liberal for Clinton, it is for Kerry.

This is not rocket science. The newly registered young as well as minority voters will tilt this against Bush.

I'm not saying that the "young with only cell phones" crowd isn't going to skew more liberal (in fact, I think they're what's going to win this election for Kerry). What irked me was this ding bat's assumption that a young person who supports Kerry is an ignorant, uneducated dimwit that has somehow "bought into" Michael Moore's propaganda, and P. Diddy's abrasive get-out-the-vote campaign.

Isn't it possible these people are very well educated, brazenly intelligent, and shockingly handsome? (i.e. People like me) :)

Anyway, efralope's a disillusioned baffoon anyway.

*Noel Coward Parody

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nice to see the Republicans stepping up their voter disenfranchisement drive to counter Democrats' voter turnout efforts.

Bat

So drives that aim to enfranchise the major sectors of the population that have low voter turnout (teenagers and minorities) skew towards the Democrats, so what? All that says is that the Democrats are a for more mainstream party, and if more of the mainstream goes to the polls, Democrats are the party they'll vote for.

Well, if anyone is reading for the heck of it, I finished the ACT/Driving Votes Las Vegas canvassing trip. Really nice RV trip back to Socal.

Some of the people at our motel left together to eat dinner. We went out to a restaurant and as we waited, some people went to the bar. Just as they are pouring the wine, they tell one of the girls to take off her headband/scarf thing out of "courtesy". They were quite adamant about it. Three people rather forcefully told her to take it off, and they eventually told her to take it off. We wondered if a Muslim female would be asked to take it off like that (then again, they wouldn't be drinking but whatever). We rather stupidly went into the restaurant anyways, but some of us decided to leave out of principle. I would have rather left earlier, but whatever. We kind of split up and just hung around the strip. One of the girls was dressed up as the statue of liberty and had a board that said, "Will work for freedom"

There were actually Australian and English people there with us. The Australian expat said that he paid US taxes/subject to US laws, but couldn't vote. He actually is one of the Driving Votes coordinators. Awesome dude. The Englishman was there to do a "documentary". Heh I guess he was some kind of "embedded journalist".

It was really interesting to live and work with other people. I've had better and more engaging conversations with these people than all the time at UCI. Not because they are liberal (it helps). But because they come from such diverse backgrounds and are all extremely active. They came from all over Californa and ranged from the University students to the Greens (and ex-Greens) to the generally politically inactive middle-aged guys. Furthermore, there was an incredible amount of trust. Come on, we got rides to Las Vegas with total strangers. Then we share a motel room on the sleazier side of the strip with the same or different strangers. I guess we all wanted Kerry to win, and that was all that mattered.

Oh yeah, they didn't separate people by sex when giving out rooms. So I was alone with a girl on the first night. However on the next day, some people came in at the last minute. Thus, on the second night, there were EIGHT people in my room. However, I can now brag that I shared a bed with one of the founders of Driving Votes. And dang, there were a LOT of HOT MEN at the staging grounds.

Some new people are coming up on Monday, and with half of my cohorts, they are staying until "the bitter end".

GO BLUE!!!!!

I've been working the phones for Ohio(Kerry campaign)... Reminding voters that yes, November 2nd is ELECTION DAY, and where their specific precient for voting is at. People are pretty enthused...

KE04 said:
I've been working the phones for Ohio(Kerry campaign)... Reminding voters that yes, November 2nd is ELECTION DAY, and where their specific precient for voting is at. People are pretty enthused...

heh a lot of people I've spoken to don't even know where there polling spot is. ACT is practically saturating the area trying to catch them when they are home.

MIMIC

Banned
Hitokage said:
Nice to see the Republicans stepping up their voter disenfranchisement drive to counter Democrats' voter turnout efforts.

You should see Free Republic. The Freetards over there are jumping for joy over the the inclimate weather conditions forecasted in battleground states for Election Day.

I hope they all get hit by stray bullets.

The box lunch provided by ACT.

About 1/3 of the vans.

Lady Liberty in front of motel room before leaving to go out. It would have been awesome if she sat in front of New York New York with that board.

The Phrenology dude.

xsarien

daedsiluap
MIMIC said:
You should see Free Republic. The Freetards over there are jumping for joy over the the inclimate weather conditions forecasted in battleground states for Election Day.

So, basically, they're scared shitless...?

Alcibiades

I agree, slate.com's electoral college poll tracker is top-notch in presentation and pretty good analysis...

electoral-vote.com only uses one poll at a time if I remember correctly, that's ridiculous...

Alcibiades

drudge radio just reported Kerry ahead by a good margin in Florida and ahead in Iowa in early voting exit polls...

anyone prepared for gridlock?

KE04 said:
Yeah, I've seen the returns of Florida and Iowa. Not good for Bush.

But we can't get complacent. We need to make sure every single one of the potential Kerry voters gets to the poll booth and have their voices heard.

I really wish I didn't have to pack shit up for my move and that school wasn't a problem, otherwise I'd be on the next flight out of here to a battleground to get people in the booths. I've been reading all the blogs, diaries, and even your story, and it all sounds so incredible. Being in Texas sure does suck for this type of election.

KE04 said:
I really wish I didn't have to pack shit up for my move and that school wasn't a problem, otherwise I'd be on the next flight out of here to a battleground to get people in the booths. I've been reading all the blogs, diaries, and even your story, and it all sounds so incredible. Being in Texas sure does suck for this type of election.

Absolutely. I'm kicking myself for not asking my profs/TA's for moving my labs. Since ACT pays for almost everything, I would have just taken fall quarter off just to be on the field volunteering.

efralope said:
I agree, slate.com's electoral college poll tracker is top-notch in presentation and pretty good analysis...

electoral-vote.com only uses one poll at a time if I remember correctly, that's ridiculous...

Have you seen it lately....It stomps Slate.com in presentation as well as analysis.

On Tuesday I have class from 10-12:30, then 1-5 PM. Then I have to study for a Psych test for the next day. Then I have a roller hockey game, which I'll be gone from 9:30 till 1 AM.

I wish I could sit and watch the results. But I guess Kerry will pull it out either way. Oh yea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom