• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sure, make a new thread, dude. sounds good.

this one was tainted by the drama, and generally speaking i prefer to save the drama for me mama.

satori

I think we should keep it in this thread. Just have a mod restore the OP. Like it has been stated a lot of history in this thread and a lot of good info. It would be ashame to lose it. Or at least if we do create a new thread have a link to this one for reference etc.

Chichikov

For a new thread.
You need to be able to update the OP.
I wouldn't mind creating a template here with sections, titles etc. but I'm a much lazier person than Glanton, so people will need to chip in on filling in the actual information.

Also, welcome back, what were you banned for anyway?

Chichikov said:
For a new thread.
You need to be able to update the OP.
I wouldn't mind creating a template here with sections, titles etc. but I'm a much lazier person than Glanton, so people will need to chip in on filling in the actual information.

Also, welcome back, what were you banned for anyway?

I agree. It looks like we're heading toward a new thread, so I'll start working on a template for it and take information from the old OP. If anyone has ideas/request for the new OP, let me hear 'em.

I was banned because someone made a post about a game called "Chronometer" and I was the first poster...and all I said was that I hated games with Chrono in the title that had nothing to do with Chrono trigger.

:D

Guess it could have been considered trolling, but hey, it was a legitimate representation of my feelings (oh year after year of waiting for a sequel! Woe is me.). A mod didn't agree, apparently.

yacobod

Banned
lil smoke said:
I have also been known to 'make-up' a few exercises here and there. For example on the lat pulldown, I stand with extended arms straightforward parallel to the ground, palms open over the bar (narrow/mid or wide), and use just the shoulders/triceps to lower the bar. Keeping posture absolutely upright, I keep the arms very straight, down and back up. One rep ends at the starting position with arms straight out (do not go higher), hold for the burn of the resistance and repeat. It feels so good, and my shoulders are like machines after 2 years of this. Alright I didn't make it up, but it is a nifty exercise that I was taught. :D oh, form is very important with that movement... done correctly, it'll also get your entire upper body including stomach feeling nice and tight afterwards.

so you're describing straight arm pulldowns (a pre-fatigue isolation lat workout) and a variation of pull overs, i'm sure nobody else has ever done them before =D

lil smoke

Banned
yacobod said:
so you're describing straight arm pulldowns (a pre-fatigue isolation lat workout) and a variation of pull overs, i'm sure nobody else has ever done them before =D
:lol Yeah. Well not many people do them. Lots of guys ask me what the hell I'm doing, and I put 'em on. It does look kinda gay doing them actually... no offense to anyone here whose gay.

..obviously i am not classicaly trained! But what I do works for me!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
lil smoke said:
:lol Yeah. Well not many people do them. Lots of guys ask me what the hell I'm doing, and I put 'em on. It does look kinda gay doing them actually... no offense to anyone here whose gay.

..obviously i am not classicaly trained! But what I do works for me!

Pulldowns & tricep pulldowns do look gay. :lol

Heavy pullovers are very hard to do with a straight bar much more so than tacky machine cable pulls.

I started doing pullups in the barn this week on the support beams, 15 x 1.5 inch, which is really hard on the hands. I can do 20x and then keep on doing sets of 15-10x through out an hour or so while doing yard work. I did 70lbs x 5 in an army duffel bag. I think it would be alot easier with a pullup bar and a belt the calusses in my hands are growing out of hand. :D

Also did 147-150lbs skullcrushers x 5, 245-250lbs db incline press and 90lbs db flys @ 175 got video, that's with a tweak in my shoudler too :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QejVZNYzpU

dabig2

Mr. Snrub said:
I agree. It looks like we're heading toward a new thread, so I'll start working on a template for it and take information from the old OP. If anyone has ideas/request for the new OP, let me hear 'em.

I was banned because someone made a post about a game called "Chronometer" and I was the first poster...and all I said was that I hated games with Chrono in the title that had nothing to do with Chrono trigger.

:D

Guess it could have been considered trolling, but hey, it was a legitimate representation of my feelings (oh year after year of waiting for a sequel! Woe is me.). A mod didn't agree, apparently.

You got a couple weeks ban for that shit, seriously :lol

Stop going over to the crazy side people! Nothing good will come of it!

Ace 8095

I think a new thread would be a good idea. I think the OP should be similar to Glantons, but with links to great posts from this thread.

winnarps

I'm still not getting sore from squats. The muscles above my knees (thighs) get a bit sore and gooey-feeling, but I'm never sore the day after and I never have problems walking up stairs.

I don't know if my form is wrong or what. By the end of the third set (I'm doing 3x5), it's very hard to get the bar back up and in standing position, but I just never get sore.

Ace 8095 said:
I think a new thread would be a good idea. I think the OP should be similar to Glantons, but with links to great posts from this thread.

Definitely. I'll be perusing the thread for particular posts, but obviously I won't be able to find them all. If anyone has any in mind, let me know. Chichikov, didn't you say you copied Glanton's OP? Can you send that to me? Does anyone have the link to the title image?

winnarps said:
I'm still not getting sore from squats. The muscles above my knees (thighs) get a bit sore and gooey-feeling, but I'm never sore the day after and I never have problems walking up stairs.

I don't know if my form is wrong or what. By the end of the third set (I'm doing 3x5), it's very hard to get the bar back up and in standing position, but I just never get sore.

Soreness is not an absolute indicator of progress. My hamstrings would get slightly sore after certain days of squats, or just my entire leg would, but not all the time. Are you sure you're hitting the proper depth?

winnarps said:

If you're slowly increasing the weight you're pushing from week to week, then don't worry about it, even more so if you're starting to notice an increase in the appearance of your legs. The ultimate measure for if you're benefiting from your exercising isn't how sore you feel, it's how much more you're capable of lifting or how much muscular growth you can see.

In regards to Snrub, I'm fine with a new thread. More pictures and a link to this thread would be good to start. Everyone loves pictures.

I missed my lifting today, and fuck I hate how it makes me feel to not lift on a lifting day. I can't wait for tomorrow to roll around though.

Struct09

Mr. Snrub said:

When you come up with the new OP, post it here. That way we can read and contribute before you push it live.

lil smoke

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Does anyone have the link to the title image?
FITNESS.jpg

winnarps

I've gone all the way down to the ground before with a whole set of squats. Didn't think it was great for form though, and puts a lot of added pressure on the knees. So I just go down 'til I'm only slightly past parallel with the ground and then go back up.

I've only been working out for a week +1 day though. I used to run cross country years ago, and I remember always being sore from lunges and such, but these squats ain't doing a thing soreness-wise.

I went from a 115lbs. squat to 145lbs. just to see if I could, and it was much harder. Still nothing sore, but it was hard to finish that last set.

Smoke, I know you hate me for this, but that one has the incorrect spelling of STRENGTH.:D

Hmm, well, that's still pretty light weight but you sound like you're progressing well! Make sure you're definitely hitting parallel. And for now...as long as you're getting results, who gives a fuck if you're sore or not?

Mr. Snrub said:
Smoke, I know you hate me for this, but that one has the incorrect spelling of STRENGTH.:D

Hmm, well, that's still pretty light weight but you sound like you're progressing well! Make sure you're definitely hitting parallel. And for now...as long as you're getting results, who gives a fuck if you're sore or not?

Glad to see you back! And as you can see, shit sort of hit the fan. Me, personally, still starting small with the free weights and combining it with machines. Next week I will probably move on to bigger weights if I feel comfortable with it and take out some machines for lifting.

JB1981

winnarps said:
I've gone all the way down to the ground before with a whole set of squats. Didn't think it was great for form though, and puts a lot of added pressure on the knees. So I just go down 'til I'm only slightly past parallel with the ground and then go back up.

I've only been working out for a week +1 day though. I used to run cross country years ago, and I remember always being sore from lunges and such, but these squats ain't doing a thing soreness-wise.

I went from a 115lbs. squat to 145lbs. just to see if I could, and it was much harder. Still nothing sore, but it was hard to finish that last set.

i would start getting worried if you start developing a dull ache around the knee and down the shins. I get these pains (never get sore from squats) and I think it's because I am not initiating enough hip drive. I am disabled right now (deadlift injury) but I can't wait to get back to squats and go at it again. BTW, I highly recommend chiropractors to anyone with a back injury - i cannot believe how much progress I've made in the last 4 days.

mr stroke

I am in for a new thread, but would miss this old one :(

suggestion-
Include Pics!!!

and some Youtube links like this-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s
(power clean)

links like that are a world of help to someone like me who has to see it rather than read it.(would have never been able to power clean with out an instructor if it wasn't for videos like that)

Wraith

mr stroke said:
I am in for a new thread, but would miss this old one :(

suggestion-
Include Pics!!!

and some Youtube links like this-
(power clean)

links like that are a world of help to someone like me who has to see it rather than read it.(would have never been able to power clean with out an instructor if it wasn't for videos like that)

Do you have http://www.exrx.net/ bookmarked? Clear descriptions of a wide variety of exercises including the muscles worked and the mechanic used. Excellent resource for program building.

yacobod

Banned
had a pretty solid chest workout today

started with incline dbs
did
65x8
75x8
85x8
95x8
95x8

flat dbs
70x8
80x8
90x8
100x8

decline bb
135x10
225x8
245x6
255x5

db flies
50x10
60x10
70x5

skull crushers
75, 85, 95, 105 x8

mr stroke

Wraith said:
Do you have http://www.exrx.net/ bookmarked? Clear descriptions of a wide variety of exercises including the muscles worked and the mechanic used. Excellent resource for program building.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/slideshow.php?id=16&subId=37

I usually use that site, and while its better than nothing, links like this-
are great for more technical lifts.
everyone knows how to bench press, but some youtube links for Squating,Deadlifts,PowerCleans and even stuff like HIIT or Kettlebell would be helpfull and would prevent the same questions getting asked over and over.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
how many of you are morning exercisers? i was just reading an article that listed ten reasons to do your workouts in the morning, and was just curious how many of you are consistent about it; it's pretty much the only time i feel 100% up to my runs, within an hour or so of waking up.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Due to limited time and how early i gotta go to work theres no way in hell i'm exercising in the morning. Sometimes i try to at least get 30 minutes in at 7am but it's just too hard. Because i got to wake up and hit the bike/weights immediately. I'm sure if i had an hour to get ready i'd be able to do it no problem.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sol.. said:
Due to limited time and how early i gotta go to work theres no way in hell i'm exercising in the morning. Sometimes i try to at least get 30 minutes in at 7am but it's just too hard. Because i got to wake up and hit the bike/weights immediately. I'm sure if i had an hour to get ready i'd be able to do it no problem.

This.

I work out at night. Plus, less people at the gym, too.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
beelzebozo said:
how many of you are morning exercisers? i was just reading an article that listed ten reasons to do your workouts in the morning, and was just curious how many of you are consistent about it; it's pretty much the only time i feel 100% up to my runs, within an hour or so of waking up.

I wish I could but I work early in the morning and I am the worst morning person. I go after work around 5:30pm-6pm and work out for an hour.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, just curious. i'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks, and i'm looking at morning runs between 6:45-8am or so. going to take a little adjusting, but i think getting it done early is the only option for me--the more time i have to think about it during the day, the more likely i am to cop out.

Vanish

it would be cool if the new OP had a separate section dedicated to what meals you should be eating and another one for listing what you guys think are the best supplements like the best protein shake, the best creatine, etc...

Milabrega

I'm all for a new thread, and all for the idea there should be a seperate diet section of the OP, or perhaps someone sharks the 2nd post and runs it there.

Jirotrom said:
like i stated before... not enough black
people

Or females. Just because they are girls doesn't mean they aren't athletes/badasses.

Does anyone know of beef (or hell, turkey) jerky that is low in sodium? The best I've found is Oberto, the 100-calories packs. GymGAF, find me low sodium jerky! Please!

Jirotrom

Soka said:
Or females. Just because they are girls doesn't mean they aren't athletes/badasses.

Does anyone know of beef (or hell, turkey) jerky that is low in sodium? The best I've found is Oberto, the 100-calories packs. GymGAF, find me low sodium jerky! Please!
just make your own jerky, its a little messy, but if you cant find a low sodium you can always go that route.

Jirotrom said:
just make your own jerky, its a little messy, but if you cant find a low sodium you can always go that route.

That is my final option, yeah. My roommate in my small dorm may not be too pleased with me making jerky unfortunately, so if I can't find any low sodium stuff at a store, I'll just have to wait until we all move into an apartment together in about a year.

I recently discovered my love for jerky. High protein, low carbs, low sugar, low fat. Would be a perfect food for me if it wasn't for the fucking 420-620mg of sodium per ~30g of jerky.

I'm in favor of a new OP.

It would be great if it covered the following:
* Descriptions of the major compound exercises (squat, dead, bench, etc.)
* Stuff on how to determine sets & reps (also in relation to goals: strenght vs. hypertrophy vs. athletic conditioning). Compound vs. isolation exercises.
* Stuff on diet. The role of protein vs. carbs etc. Calorie intake. Bulking vs. cutting. Why creatine and many other unproven substances aren't worth paying for.
* Maybe some medical stuff. E.g. catabolic vs. anabolic processes, what is hypertrophy.
* Basic injury prevention and care.

Chichikov

Soka said:
I do not know about nutritional value, but Biltong and Droewors (South African jerky) is the greatest food ever created.

perryfarrell said:
I'm in favor of a new OP.

It would be great if it covered the following:
* Descriptions of the major compound exercises (squat, dead, bench, etc.)
* Stuff on how to determine sets & reps (also in relation to goals: strenght vs. hypertrophy vs. athletic conditioning). Compound vs. isolation exercises.
* Stuff on diet. The role of protein vs. carbs etc. Calorie intake. Bulking vs. cutting. Why creatine and many other unproven substances aren't worth paying for.
* Maybe some medical stuff. E.g. catabolic vs. anabolic processes, what is hypertrophy.
* Basic injury prevention and care.

Creatine may be the only supplement (besides whey protein powder. That is some good shit.) that has been tested and revealed to be effective in some testers. But, your point still stands, a section about supplements is a good idea.

Also, I saw a guy standing on a fucking yoga ball doing BB curls at the fucking squat rack the other day. Legs constantly wobbling, body swinging slightly side to side as his legs barely kept balance, I was just holding my breath for the sound of him breaking every mirror within 15 feet. Thankfully, he didn't do any damage, but damn man, did it ever look stupid.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I am getting a lot more comfortable in all of my exercises especially squatting. Moved up a weight today and did all my sets just fine. Made sure to focus [a couple of my reps were still kinda iffy in form, but most of them I felt were good, so just takes more experience] and everything went smoothly.

However, I have not been able to make any real gains my bench press. Maybe because I wasn't that strong to begin with at it, but moved up a weight today and it just wasn't working. So, next session I'm going to drop down to my previous weight and focus on perfecting that, then try again in a week or so to move up again.

Btw, I'm up to 181.5lbs now. Last week I was at 179. Progress!

J. M. Romeo said:
Glad to see you back! And as you can see, shit sort of hit the fan. Me, personally, still starting small with the free weights and combining it with machines. Next week I will probably move on to bigger weights if I feel comfortable with it and take out some machines for lifting.

Nice, glad to hear you're going for the free weights! Keep us updated and remember to stick with the compound exercises.

reilo said:
I am getting a lot more comfortable in all of my exercises especially squatting. Moved up a weight today and did all my sets just fine. Made sure to focus [a couple of my reps were still kinda iffy in form, but most of them I felt were good, so just takes more experience] and everything went smoothly.

However, I have not been able to make any real gains my bench press. Maybe because I wasn't that strong to begin with at it, but moved up a weight today and it just wasn't working. So, next session I'm going to drop down to my previous weight and focus on perfecting that, then try again in a week or so to move up again.

Btw, I'm up to 181.5lbs now. Last week I was at 179. Progress!

Glad squats are going well--my favorite exercise. Bench is going to be harder to progress than squats. Most people think that benching is just laying down and moving the bar, but its really not that simple. Check your form:

The Setup
-Feet should be firmly planted on the floor.
-Lower back should have a strong arch--someone's fist should be able to slip between your lower back and the bench
-Upper back should be "flexed" as well--think about pinching your shoulder blades together. Tight scapula!
-Hand position should be inside the rings but not "straight up". Depending on arm length, you want your forearms to be perpendicular to the bar when the bar has touched your chest. This is a general guideline but a good one--it will change depending on arm length, chest height, and desired bench style (close grip, wide grip, standard, etc.)
-The bar should NOT be placed on the joints below your fingers. It should fit across the meatier part of your hands. It should be lined up with the bones of your forearm, to support the weight

The Descent
-Again, anthropometry will determine exactly what you need to do. But do not lower the bar directly down to your chest. This encourages the elbows to flare out away from the body and this is a more injury-prone method, although some get away with it just fine
-Lower the bar under control. I lower the bar below the pecs slightly (think just below the nipples), if not farther, sometimes to my sternum (I am still playing with this). I have longer arms and I get more power out of lowering it lower on my chest. Your mileage may vary
-As you lower, stay TIGHT. Feet planted, ready to push; tight abs and lower back; squeeze the bar; squeeze your shoulder blades together
-Do not bounce--visualize just touching the fabric of your shirt. Do not pause at the bottom--a good cue from Rippetoe's Starting Strength book is while you lower the bar, always be thinking, "Up, up, up" and you'll be ready to blast it up.

The Ascent
-Push with your feet. Do NOT let your ass come up off the bench and do NOT let you shoulder blades loosen. Staying tight is safer as a platform and as "protection" for your shoulders. Do not lose any of the tightness you've maintained: tight feet, abs, back, shoulders, grip.
-Do not raise the bar over your head. I get more power out of thinking that I am pushing the bar down, toward my feet. The bar path for this is my own power path, where I get the best recruitment of my muscles. Yours may be slightly different (I have long arms, and long arms are not good for pressing)
-Do not look at the bar--look at the point on the ceiling that you want the bar to cover, and it will help lead the bar there. Obviously, you should establish this point in your warm ups
-Press and finish!

Those are my tips, and that's what works for me. Let me know if you have any questions.

mr stroke

beelzebozo said:

Has to be morning for me, I generally have much more energy and it makes me feel better during the day. Plus the feeling of getting up at the buttcrack of dawn and going on a run while the world feels still and the air is crisp is such an amazing feeling.

Omne

Banned
So I pulled my hamstring today doing sprints. I'm icing it now, but man does this blow.

How long do these things usually take to heal?

Omne said:
So I pulled my hamstring today doing sprints. I'm icing it now, but man does this blow.

How long do these things usually take to heal?

RICE - Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. I'd say wait at least a week before you do vigorous exercise again. Does it hurt in any way? (I'm in a similar situation, I pulled my quad a week or so ago.)

Also do some light stretching pretty soon. If you don't, there's the risk that your muscle heals in a shortened position.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
mr stroke said:
Has to be morning for me, I generally have much more energy and it makes me feel better during the day. Plus the feeling of getting up at the buttcrack of dawn and going on a run while the world feels still and the air is crisp is such an amazing feeling.

hell yeah man. this morning i was up at 6a, and had my run from 7 to about 8:15 or so. there's something really refreshing about walking out of the gym and still feeling dew in the air.

for anyone curious, here's a link to the list of good reasons to exercise in the morning, by exercise physiologist greg landry. i don't know how reputable he is, or how accurate his information, but some of it i can back up from personal experience--particularly the stuff about feeling energized, feeling less hungry, and making better food choices.

ok, my squats just do not seem to be improving at all. I just started doing full squats about 6 weeks ago, and I only do them once or twice a week (I do a 3 day split but w/o 5 times a week), but I feel like I've had almost zero improvement on them at all..

Should I start incorporating them into other days to get 3 times in a week, or what? I had been trying to add a small amount of weight each set, but I just can't get past a certain point. I STRUGGLE to get 185 for 5. Usually I can only do 4 or so. To put this in a little bit of perspective, my last deadlift session was 245 for 5 and I'm at 225 for 5 on bench. So my squat is definitely lagging..

help strong-gaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom