• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
slayn said:
Huh? While I guess not necessary I've always heard dairy is good and is proven to promote fat loss. I love my skim milk and cheese. Google search gives me this: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040416/dairy-foods-fat-weight-loss

edit: also, why does everyone say fat is good, but that you must only eat lean meats. That seems completely contradictory.

There are good fats and bad fats.

Good fat = unsaturated fat

bad fat = saturated fat

Eat a lot of olive oil.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
MaverickX9 said:
There are good fats and bad fats.

Good fat = unsaturated fat

bad fat = saturated fat

Eat a lot of olive oil.

That used to be the case but now everything I see says differently (that you need a mix of sat/mono/poly) and that only trans fat are bad for you and needs to be avoided =\ Is it or isn't it?

Nutrition would be so much easier if science would stop changing it's damn mind all the time :(

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
slayn said:
Huh? While I guess not necessary I've always heard dairy is good and is proven to promote fat loss. I love my skim milk and cheese. Google search gives me this: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040416/dairy-foods-fat-weight-loss

edit: also, why does everyone say fat is good, but that you must only eat lean meats. That seems completely contradictory.
The study appears in the April issue of Obesity Research and was supported by the National Dairy Council,
Not surprised. Dairy's importance in our diet has been VASTLY exaggerated in our society, thanks to the massive dairy industry. There are plenty of cultures that get along health-wise just fine without any dairy. There are lots of things that promote fat loss, but it doesn't mean all of them are good for you. You say you've always heard dairy is good for you. You've also heard eating less fat makes you lose fat, and bread is one of the most essential components to the human diet. Moral of the story: don't always believe what you hear. And yeah, I used to like skim milk too. But then I dropped milk completely, and I felt better almost instantly. Cheese is different from milk since it has almost no lactose.
Some dairy/milk is okay, varying from person to person. But if you think it's vital for humans to consume something that most of our species (and all other species) naturally evolved to become intolerant to after infancy, then you might as well eat that bread-filled fat-free diet to lose fat because that makes about as much sense.

And there's nothing wrong with eating red meat.

Saturated fat isn't necessarily bad for you like they've been saying.

teiresias

Saoh said:
i don´t think heavy weights will be my cup of tea, i know more weight = more mass and muscle, which => getting big. i don´t want that. i want regular muscles, abs, back, shoulders, chest, legs and hard ass :p

I'm sorry, but I can only :lol . These people that think they're going to start lifting weights and . . . oops, I'm huge and muscular, silly me . . . just are funny to me, as if it's going to happen by accident.

VPhys

Captain Glanton said:
The really short answer is eggs, tuna, chicken, and lean beef.

If every meal you eat is based on one of those meats, plus vegetables, fruit, or brown rice, then you're 80% of the way there.

Isn't it true that the only difference between brown and white rise is brown rice has all the original nutrients.

i.e. brown rice has just as many calories as white rice

With this in mind, couldn't one eat white rice instead of brown rice, and just get the nutrients from elsewhere (vegetables, vitamins) and get the same results?

I say this because brown rice is not tasty as white.

deadbeef

VPhys said:
Isn't it true that the only difference between brown and white rise is brown rice has all the original nutrients.

With this in mind, couldn't one eat white rice instead of brown rice, and just get the nutrients from elsewhere (vegetables, vitamins) and get the same results?

Here comes the confusing talk about glycemic index.

Eat white rice if you like it - for the most part, a gram of carbohydrate is a gram of carbohydrate.

Thanks for all the help guys, just some final questions.

I have decided on this diet

Breakfast
1 Boiled Egg
1 Cup of Tea with a spoon of sugar ( or is even that much sugar not allowed )

Lunch/Snacks
Boiled Vegetable, Fruits

Dinner
Fried Chicken, Fish or some vegetable meal.

Plus i have started doing 20mins running every day and 30-50 pushups i don't think i can find enough time for proper gym. This should do it right ?

VPhys said:

I'll never criticize someone for eating more vegetables, and off the top of my head I don't know the effects of brown v white on the ol' glycemic levels. But vitamins are supplements and aren't as effective as the real thing.

That's why we use protein powder, b/c it's so damn hard to get all the protein you need from solid food. But solid food > supplements [90% of the time; there will always be an exception someplace]

devilscallmedad said:

Breakfast
1 Boiled Egg

Lunch/Snacks
Boiled Vegetable, Fruits

Dinner

Plus i have started doing 20mins running every day and 30-50 pushups i don't think i can find enough time for proper gym. This should do it right ?

First, congrats on developing a schedule. That [and sticking to it] is crucial. Having said that:

1) I'd add some meat to that lunch

2) I'd un-fry that chicken. Buy a George Foreman grill if you don't already have one; they rock.

3) I'd add more meat all over that eating plan, but good for you on the vegetables.

4) If a gym is out of the question, push-ups will be a staple for you. I'd also add some wall squats, jumping splits, lunges, duck walks, ab work, and something to hit your back a lot harder, although I'm blanking on how to do that last one without weights.

teiresias said:
I'm sorry, but I can only :lol . These people that think they're going to start lifting weights and . . . oops, I'm huge and muscular, silly me . . . just are funny to me, as if it's going to happen by accident.

As if you're going to just walk in every damn week and, on impulse, do the 700lb squats that it takes to get big legs.

Something to Read
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do;jsessionid=CB51A7E3B5A229D34269FDF6A7FEDC80.hydra?id=1793585

VPhys

devilscallmedad said:

Breakfast
1 Boiled Egg

Lunch/Snacks
Boiled Vegetable, Fruits

Dinner

I would add a protein to the lunch.

Some here will tell you the fried chicken is a bad choice for dinner because its well, fried. However I would be more concerned about how much of it you are having. If you limit it to 1 to 2 pieces you are still at 300-500 calories for dinner which is not bad (depending on your size/weight), but if you are getting "full" off of fried chicken by eating 4-6 pieces you can rest assured it's canceling out all of the positive in your diet.

Also, I would go with steamed vegetables over boiled if possible. And for dinner you say "or some vegetable meal." I would change that to "and some vegetable meal. I'd have a protein with the vegetable and not substitute the vegetable meal for a protien.

Anyone out there doing crossfit-style training? I've been doing it for about 3 months and having a blast. The results have been crazy. The workouts are varied, typically short (<20 mins) and intense (the main focus is on completion time, so you're constantly competing with your own personal bests, which means you tend to go all-out).

Just click on the 'Start Here!' button on the left hand column. It's all free! Most of this stuff can be done in your basement or bedroom with minimal equipment, though you'll probably need a gym membership for the weightlifting stuff.

http://crossfit.com/

Anyone have a decent arm workout I can use, I have been stuck at 17.5 inches for about 6 months now with little improvement, though after a workout they blow up to over 18. Program for now is as follows, Preacher curls that I alternate between Dumbbells and Barbells every other week, standing alt curls, alternating DB hammer curls and cable hammers with a rope, and I finish with reverse barbell curls for my Bis. I throw in BB curls every now and then, but they are not a big staple for me because They kill my forearms.

For Tris I begin with Cable pressdowns to warm up my elbows, then I do heavy close benches on a smith machine working up to around 200 pounds, followed by 100 Dumbbell extensions, then I do V-rope pressdowns, and end with dips. I also do Skullcrushers, BB extensions, etc depending on how my elbows feel.

I know it sounds strange to ask for advice here, because I am a little bigger than most here, but any fresh prespective works and I need something new here.

methos1975 said:
Anyone have a decent arm workout I can use, I have been stuck at 17.5 inches for about 6 months now with little improvement, though after a workout they blow up to over 18. Program for now is as follows, Preacher curls that I alternate between Dumbbells and Barbells every other week, standing alt curls, alternating DB hammer curls and cable hammers with a rope, and I finish with reverse barbell curls for my Bis. I throw in BB curls every now and then, but they are not a big staple for me because They kill my forearms.

For Tris I begin with Cable pressdowns to warm up my elbows, then I do heavy close benches on a smith machine working up to around 200 pounds, followed by 100 Dumbbell extensions, then I do V-rope pressdowns, and end with dips. I also do Skullcrushers, BB extensions, etc depending on how my elbows feel.

I know it sounds strange to ask for advice here, because I am a little bigger than most here, but any fresh prespective works and I need something new here.

I had great success doing simultaneous DB Hammer Curls [bringing both of them straight up and not across the body. For Tris, you might move those close-grips off the Smith machine and to a regular bench. Do you do flat or decline skullcrushers? I think the latter work a lot better. You might move those dips up to the front of your arm workout and strap on some extra plates.

The best pump I've gotten in my arms recently has been from walking DB lunges, because I hold the DBs up and out in front a little bit.

Joe said:
any thoughts on the anabolic diet?
I've never done it, but I know that flocks of people at T-Nation swear by it. The thread there is enormous.

Captain Glanton said:
I had great success doing simultaneous DB Hammer Curls [bringing both of them straight up and not across the body. For Tris, you might move those close-grips off the Smith machine and to a regular bench. Do you do flat or decline skullcrushers? I think the latter work a lot better. You might move those dips up to the front of your arm workout and strap on some extra plates.

The best pump I've gotten in my arms recently has been from walking DB lunges, because I hold the DBs up and out in front a little bit.

Yeah, I do DB hammer curls like that as well. I can move the close bench of the smith easily, the only reason I use it is for my last set, because every once in a while once I start inching up towards 200 pounds my Triceps give out. I do flat skullcrushers, but only every 2-3 workouts, spo I'll make them a main excercise and move dips up to the front.

yacobod

Banned
i went to the gym yesterday and did back

did some

deads
pullups
tbar rows
and barbell rows

i was kinda bummed out because everyone else was doing chest, WTF why do i have to wait til wed to do chest

fuk legs today =(

Cormacaroni said:
Anyone out there doing crossfit-style training? I've been doing it for about 3 months and having a blast. The results have been crazy. The workouts are varied, typically short (<20 mins) and intense (the main focus is on completion time, so you're constantly competing with your own personal bests, which means you tend to go all-out).

Just click on the 'Start Here!' button on the left hand column. It's all free! Most of this stuff can be done in your basement or bedroom with minimal equipment, though you'll probably need a gym membership for the weightlifting stuff.

http://crossfit.com/

Haven't done CrossFit, might later on. Very good for GPP, it seems, but I want to get my strength up more and have a more developed base.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
What about bulking up for someone like me. I'm 6'3" and only weigh about 165lbs, and I want to get big because I'm pretty scrawny. This is really the first time I'm actually working out constantly. I have a work out plan I'll post it later on when I have more time. I also know I"m going to have to put on more calories like 2-3 gram of carbs per pound 1-2 grams of protein. Any tips on how I won't get fat when I eat more, and do I need to take any supplements?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Captain Glanton said:
What? Do you have a citation?
Not directly related (the lean muscle loss just always occurs with a low calorie diet) but this covers most of the "debate."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=15351198&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

A systematic review of low-carbohydrate diets found that the weight loss achieved is associated with the duration of the diet and restriction of energy intake, but not with restriction of carbohydrates.

To sum up, low carb diets offer faster initial losss for the first six months or so, but they end up neck in neck with low fat diets in about a year. For all this "people aren't meant to eat carbs!" nonsense, there seems to be no clinical support to such claims. If anything, the fact that most dieters find a low carb diet unsustainable seems to hint that the low carb way is not the natural way.

If you like eating low carb, great. Keltosis can be a rush I guess.

Bildi

Something I learned early on was to breathe properly. I think many people hold their breath or just forget to breathe out on exertion. I thought it was a good tip that is too easily forgotten even by advanced people.

Qwerty710710 said:
What about bulking up for someone like me. I'm 6'3" and only weigh about 165lbs, and I want to get big because I'm pretty scrawny. This is really the first time I'm actually working out constantly. I have a work out plan I'll post it later on when I have more time. I also know I"m going to have to put on more calories like 2-3 gram of carbs per pound 1-2 grams of protein. Any tips on how I won't get fat when I eat more, and do I need to take any supplements?

It comes down to caloric intake. BASICALLY, eat more than you expend and gain weight. Expend more than you eat and lose weight. BASICALLY and I am not going to get into specifics.

Eat enough and you'll gain. I've gained a lean ten pounds in the past two months or so, and only been eating correctly for weight gain about six weeks of those eight. Been doing routines focusing on deadlifts, squats, presses, pulls. The basics, and heavy. Why worry about big arms when you aren't even big yet, know what I mean? Get a solid strength and size base and aork from there. 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight is a great start. How to not get fat during all this depends on the amount of shit you're intaking. You can read through this and see how divided everyone is on fats vs. carbs, but I say limit the fats more than carbs. I've always had trouble gaining weight, however, and this is what works FOR ME.

Supplements? I'm just taking some whey protein substitute. Gonna start on some fish oil, multivitamin, and maybe glutamin, but don't get too caught up in the supplement bullshit.

Bildi said:
Something I learned early on was to breathe properly. I think many people hold their breath or just forget to breathe out on exertion. I thought it was a good tip that is too easily forgotten even by advanced people.

This is true, but very misunderstood. Holding your breath and keeping intraabdominal pressure can be very important in maintaining tension. Deflate your core completely during a heavy lift and bad things can happen.

Mr. Snrub said:
Haven't done CrossFit, might later on. Very good for GPP, it seems, but I want to get my strength up more and have a more developed base.

I think there's PLENTY of heavy lifting in Crossfit, but of course YMMV. You're right in that general physical preparedness is pretty much the endgame for Crossfit (although plenty of people adapt it to fit their specific training needs). I don't have any specific training needs, being a 36yr old desk worker so it's more than enough for me :lol

Sabotage

VPhys said:

The difference between the two is that white rice has been "scrubbed" or "milled" of its fiber/husk.

Your body will see the two differently though a cup of either is the same amount of calories. White rice will be digested faster and cause the body to spike in insulin since it's GI # is high. Brown will do the opposite since the stomach has to break down the fiber first.

White rice is good to eat after a work when insulin is already high and glycogen levels are low, the carbs/glucose from the rice will be fed into you muscle cells to build or repair and then stored as glycogen again. You'd want to stay away from it on you off days as spiking insulin due to high blood sugar can cause those carbs you just ate to be stored as adipose tissue - fat.

Bildi

Mr. Snrub said:
This is true, but very misunderstood. Holding your breath and keeping intraabdominal pressure can be very important in maintaining tension. Deflate your core completely during a heavy lift and bad things can happen.
Great point :)

Which makes me think of another point - finding someone good to assist you, and someone good to learn from. Listening how to do things correctly can make all the difference between progress and non-progress or injury. Of course, finding such a person can be difficult.

Freshmaker said:
Not directly related (the lean muscle loss just always occurs with a low calorie diet) but this covers most of the "debate."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=15351198&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

To sum up, low carb diets offer faster initial losss for the first six months or so, but they end up neck in neck with low fat diets in about a year. For all this "people aren't meant to eat carbs!" nonsense, there seems to be no clinical support to such claims. If anything, the fact that most dieters find a low carb diet unsustainable seems to hint that the low carb way is not the natural way.

If you like eating low carb, great. Keltosis can be a rush I guess.

Well, there's a difference between low calorie and low carb. I'll just say that it doesn't surprise me that most people end up going off a low carb diet, as most people end off their diet no matter what. At a certain point you have to realize that it's not a diet; it's just the way you're going to eat. So long as you're thinking about the way you're eating as being unnatural, you're going to get into trouble.

All I can say is that I've been low carb for over a year now, and in that time I've gained a good deal of muscle and strength and gotten considerably leaner than where I was when I started. All of the people I know [in real life, not online] who exercise seriously--by which I mean compete in bodybuilding shows--follow the same basic eating plan, and it's worked for them as well. Whatever people might think of competitive bodybuilding [I'm no fan], they know a lot about getting your body to look a certain way.

Qwerty710710 said:

The only thing I might add to what Mr. Snrub said is that most people probably underestimate the amount of eating required to gain lean body mass, aka muscle. Most people overestimate the amount of clean food they eat each day and underestimate the amount of bad food. I did, until I used www.fitday.com to track my eating and I got honest about my portion sizes.

It's incredibly hard to get very fat on lean protein. That means you want to just throw in extra servings of things like tuna salad and chicken breast throughout the day. If you're naturally lean, some carbs won't hurt you either, although personally, I think 3 grams per pound of body mass a day sounds high. I, on the other hand, am a Former Fat Boy [FFB], so I have to be much more careful about carbs, even when I'm trying to bulk up.

Captain Glanton said:
The only thing I might add to what Mr. Snrub said is that most people probably underestimate the amount of eating required to gain lean body mass, aka muscle. Most people overestimate the amount of clean food they eat each day and underestimate the amount of bad food. I did, until I used www.fitday.com to track my eating and I got honest about my portion sizes.

It's incredibly hard to get very fat on lean protein. That means you want to just throw in extra servings of things like tuna salad and chicken breast throughout the day. If you're naturally lean, some carbs won't hurt you either, although personally, I think 3 grams per pound of body mass a day sounds high. I, on the other hand, am a Former Fat Boy [FFB], so I have to be much more careful about carbs, even when I'm trying to bulk up.

Agreed. I made this same mistake for the longest time--thinking I was eating enough. I have many friends who want to gain weight and think they are eating enough, but if you really track it, they eat maybe half of what they should. I use Fit Day as well--actually, the way I use it is I track what I eat for a few days, and if that reaches what I need to gain weight, I just stick to that template. Any deviation is a bad thing, and should be the exception, not the rule.

To grow, you must EAT.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Captain Glanton said:
Well, there's a difference between low calorie and low carb. I'll just say that it doesn't surprise me that most people end up going off a low carb diet, as most people end off their diet no matter what. At a certain point you have to realize that it's not a diet; it's just the way you're going to eat. So long as you're thinking about the way you're eating as being unnatural, you're going to get into trouble.

Thing is, you really don't have to do that. Low fat'll accomplish exactly the same thing, and it's ultimately easier to sustain.

All I can say is that I've been low carb for over a year now, and in that time I've gained a good deal of muscle and strength and gotten considerably leaner than where I was when I started. All of the people I know [in real life, not online] who exercise seriously--by which I mean compete in bodybuilding shows--follow the same basic eating plan, and it's worked for them as well. Whatever people might think of competitive bodybuilding [I'm no fan], they know a lot about getting your body to look a certain way.

You'd have ended up at the same point with a balanced low fat diet as well.

Freshmaker said:
Thing is, you really don't have to do that. Low fat'll accomplish exactly the same thing, and it's ultimately easier to sustain.

You'd have ended up at the same point with a balanced low fat diet as well.

I'd like for you to post examples from your own life of people who have made those sorts of gains on a low fat [which I take to mean high carb] diet.

Edit: I'm sorry to be rude about this, but I'm a little sick of people saying that eating whatever they want is as good as eating anything else and that all food plans are created equal. They aren't. If someone wants to eat pasta or whatever all day, then that's great. Feel free to post before and after pics and we'll go from there.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Captain Glanton said:

Yeah I don't want to be overweight again like 2 years ago. What excerise to you recommend for Bis, Tris, Chest, Shoulders, abs, and Legs??? Should you be taken other supplements other than protein powder??

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Mr. Snrub said:
Supplements? I'm just taking some whey protein substitute. Gonna start on some fish oil, multivitamin, and maybe glutamin, but don't get too caught up in the supplement bullshit.

You don't want whey. If you're going to derive protein from milk, at least keep the composition on par with what you started with. Whey releases too quickly. You want a sustained amino acid release, keeping your body anabolic. You'll need casein for that, which is also from milk.

Don't spend too much on protein supplements. Something like Syntha-6 for powders, eat plenty of eggs, meat, cottage cheese, etc.

teh_pwn

Bishman said:
Add fish oil to your diet. You will thank me later. Do some research on it. T-nation.com

t-nation has some good stuff in articles. Even their store has some good fish oil. But their site is one gigantic ad for the owner -- Biotest -- and many of their products are nonsense. Spike and Hot-Rox are basically caffeine. Go to walmart and just buy Awake pills for $5.

Skip the nonsense and go straight to one of their best contributors.

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm

I'm pretty much still being lazy about losing my weight - all I'm doing is eating pancakes for breakfast, salad/milk for lunch, and something meaty for supper.

I really haven't looked into anything more than lowering my caloric intake, haven't really focused on balancing my sodium etc.

Should I have much less than what's recommended for a day?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
post-workout results: two tickets to the gun show

Tonight's menu

DSC00909.jpg

For desert

DSC00910.jpg

teh_pwn

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm pretty much still being lazy about losing my weight - all I'm doing is eating pancakes for breakfast, salad/milk for lunch, and something meaty for supper.

I really haven't looked into anything more than lowering my caloric intake, haven't really focused on balancing my sodium etc.

In terms of calories? Usually not. Typically the best way is to slightly increase calorie intake, and get a lot of it from protein -- meat/eggs/milk, from several small meals a day. Your metabolism will improve, you'll retain muscle, and lose fat. Still consume plenty of fruit, vegetables, etc, but keep them whole, and eat fruit early in the day.

As for the laziness, I can relate. For eggs, I'll cook a ton once a week and store it in a large tub. Protein powder for lazy times. Frozen pre-cooked chicken breasts.

Stealth Edit: I've updated the OP with some [hopefully useful] info about designing an exercise program. If people want more things addressed in the OP, feel free to send requests/questions/complaints/etc.

Qwerty710710 said:
Yeah I don't want to be overweight again like 2 years ago. What excerise to you recommend for Bis, Tris, Chest, Shoulders, abs, and Legs??? Should you be taken other supplements other than protein powder??

As the weeks go by I'll try to keep writing up new exercises to do in the OP [I'm also writing my dissertation, so it takes some time]. Your bodypart priority should be something like:

legs, back >>> shoulders, chest, core >>> arms

I think that if you're just getting into this, your supps should be protein powder and creatine [it's very cheap], then add in fish oil soon after, then a good Post Workout drink and BCAAs. I also use a testosterone booster [Alpha Male] but you don't need that until after your mid-20s AND you're pushing yourself to your limits with high workout intensity and what I call "crushing weights," aka weights that could actually crush you.

A Link to the Snitch said:

There is a time and place for pancakes, but I'm really not a fan of eating them regularly, much less every day. I can only tell you what I base my diet on and stress that it fucking works:

eggs for breakfast, tuna or chicken salad for lunch, lean ground beef or chicken breast for dinner

Now there's lots of other stuff, too, but I really believe that layout should be the center of your diet. Also, if you're going to exercise regularly and well, then you will actually need to get more calories than the typical person. Otherwise your body will burn up muscle for fuel, and that's no good. Trust me, if you're working hard in the gym or outdoors, and getting your calories from clean food, a couple hundred extra calories a day will help, not hurt.

Edit: MrToughPants, you're lucky you weren't around me last night with those hot dogs. Last fall when I was on a strict diet with one cheat meal, for my cheat meal I'd eat information censored.

Bishman

Hey, why don't you try a full body workout. It worked for my friend. He went from 150 - 180 lbs in about 4 - 5 months. And I went from 170 - 205 lbs.

You only need to do this workout 3 times a week.

Squat - 5x5
Bench Press - 5x5
Deadlift -5x5
(Alternate between Barbell Rows and Military Press) - 5x5

Just give it a try for at least 3 weeks and see if it makes you get stronger and bigger. It stimulates your whole body and the big 3 workouts release the most HGH (Human Growth Hormone) in your body.

Then make sure you are eating right. Ask for help and I can post good articles on nutrition.

My advise of all the supplements you need are:

Whey Protein
Essential Fatty Acids (Fish Oil)
Amino Acids
Multivitamin
Creatine

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Captain Glanton said:
I'd like for you to post examples from your own life of people who have made those sorts of gains on a low fat [which I take to mean high carb] diet.
Wrong. As I said initially, a low fat balanced diet produces similar results in a year's time.

Edit: I'm sorry to be rude about this, but I'm a little sick of people saying that eating whatever they want is as good as eating anything else and that all food plans are created equal. They aren't.
Exactly. American dietary association's diet guidelines produce to most reliable clinical results. Low carb = fad.

Freshmaker said:
Wrong. As I said initially, a low fat balanced diet produces similar results in a year's time.

Exactly. American dietary association's diet guidelines produce to most reliable clinical results. Low carb = fad.

The ADA guidelines are full of shit. Next thing you'll post the food pyramid. Also, no one here is talking about the Atkins diet, so I'm not sure why you posted a link to a criticism of it. Atkins was sending people to Burger King and just taking the buns off the burgers. It was also full of shit and, to reiterate, no one's using it here. I know I'm not.

I'd still like to see you outline the actual diet you're talking about and actual examples of success that you and people you personally know have had on it.

Edit: Perhaps the most frustrating part of your posts is that you've only referenced weight loss, as does the link you posted. This indicates to me that you haven't made the proper distinction between fitness level and weight. Weight loss is only a secondary effect of becoming more fit, at best. Obviously you can lose weight if you don't eat enough calories to sustain your current bodyweight; become "skinny fat" [which might be what you're advocating] is not what we're after here.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Captain Glanton said:
The ADA guidelines are full of shit. Next thing you'll post the food pyramid. Also, no one here is talking about the Atkins diet, so I'm not sure why you posted a link to a criticism of it. Atkins was sending people to Burger King and just taking the buns off the burgers. It was also full of shit and, to reiterate, no one's using it here. I know I'm not.

I'd still like to see you outline the actual diet you're talking about and actual examples of success that you and people you personally know have had on it.

Edit: Perhaps the most frustrating part of your posts is that you've only referenced weight loss, as does the link you posted. This indicates to me that you haven't made the proper distinction between fitness level and weight. Weight loss is only a secondary effect of becoming more fit, at best. Obviously you can lose weight if you don't eat enough calories to sustain your current bodyweight; become "skinny fat" [which might be what you're advocating] is not what we're after here.
*sigh*

Freshmaker said:

Are you twelve?

Edit: At the very least, I'd still like for you to explain why you seem to think that weight and fitness level are the same thing.

Edit 2: I'm still waiting for your description of how you've used a low fat diet yourself and the fitness levels you've reached on it.

Or to stop making bullshit posts. Whichever.

I just had a pretty tremendous leg workout that I thought worth sharing. It's not for those just starting out, but if you're at all experienced and looking for something new, I highly recommend this.

First, I did five sprints of about 60-70 yards. Then, after I caught my breath, I did two sets of these, all with bodyweight only:

25 speed squats
12 [counting one-and, two-and] alternating lunges
12 [counting same way] jumping splits [jumping out of one lunge and into the next]
12 jumping squats

It might not look like much, but if you're like me, you'll start shouting in agony about halfway through the jumping splits. That lactic acid builds up.

Good times!

G-Bus

Any one got some good workouts and tips for working the forearms?

I've done wrist curls, with my palms up/down but they don't seem to be working the whole forearm. Also, I've tried something called dumb bell circles (got it from a Bruce Lee workout book) but they aren't working as well as i had hoped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

G-Bus said:
Any one got some good workouts and tips for working the forearms?

I've done wrist curls, with my palms up/down but they don't seem to be working the whole forearm. Also, I've tried something called dumb bell circles (got it from a Bruce Lee workout book) but they aren't working as well as i had hoped.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Deadlifts are great for forearms.

So are shrugs, and bicep curls, and just about any exercise you use your arms for.

You could "target" your forearms with (surprise surprise) forearms curls or other things, but it's really more of a waste of time than anything.

-viper-

Banned
Over the past week I've been tracking the amount of calories I've been eating and the amount of carbs, fat and protein I've been consuming.

I'm 5'8 and my weight is 9 stones at the moment so I'm fairly skinny. I want to gain muscle mass but I don't want to bulk up!

According to FitDay.com, I'm consuming, on average (for two weeks):
2000 calories
45g Fat
230g Carbohydrates
132g Protein

Is this enough? Or must I eat more?

By the way, is this a good workout plan?

Day one:
Chest Press 10x3
Incline Chest Press 10x3
Bent Over Rows 10x3
Front Rows 10x3

Day Two:
Shoulder Press 10x3
Bicep Curls 10x3
Pull-Ups 10x3

Day Three:
Squats 10x3
Leg Extensions 20x3