• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TGS 2007 Summary Thread of Ultimate Destruction

zeroshiki

Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy vXIII and Last Remnant had trailers in the open Sony theater.

I'm not sure how new the FFXIII was (I don't know which one's which and I couldn't even get in the closed theater because all tickets for the day were completely given out by 1030AM) but it showed the Shiva cycle. Versus is probably new considering the trailer is the same as the write up I read from IGN. Last Remnant I think everybody knows.

All in all, all of them looks really amazing. CG or not. (Last Remnant wasn't for sure at least)

Amir0x

Banned
Update: Mercenaries 2 delay news, new Exit 360 media, Valkyrie of the Battlefield Images + Video, PES 2008 footage, Kunio Dodge Ball screens (For TreIII), Lost in Blue III hands-on, Tales of Innocence, Monster Rancher DS hands-on, Deltora Quest, My Stylebook PSP hands-on, a new hands-on article for No More Heroes, Samurai Warriors Katana Wii hands-on, Last Remnant and new Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party hands-on.

Good work ! Definitely Square-Enix is doing a lot of great stuff for DS. Wii also has at least 3 A games from Third Parties: King Story, Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes. You can add Nights and, if you really want, Umbrella Chronicles.

Bebpo said:
Thanks for the summary.

Just goes to show how awful this TGS was. First E3 dies, then TGS is a bust. Game conventions are over :(

Agreed. And do you know what was the problem for the entire year ? Not enough surprises at all. Yeah, we had of course new games, but nothing really surprising like Dragon Quest IX on DS, for example. This year has been disappointing. Maybe we'll see something at the Nintendo's conference in October.

Wollan

● Dress. From the director of Tourist Trophy, Home application that lets you design clothes for your virtual avatar and potentially your real-life self. (A, I)

Amir0x

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Hey Amir0x, you have portable ops 2 listed but it was debunked in the not-so confirmed thread by Ryan Payton here.

oh ok, i'm just going by the links :lol

Updated the post with that info,Wollan

Kyoufu

Amir0x said:
oh ok, i'm just going by the links :lol

Updated the post with that info,Wollan

Yeah I can tell :p

Like the MGSO pack-in with MGS4 is not a pack-in at all. Just a 'demo' of MGSO that ships with MGS4 known as the 'starter pack' :(

karasu

Will this go down as the most uneventful TGS ever? I thought TGS was about big, mean, server breaking announcements. But it's just a blooming recap show!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
karasu said:
Will this go down as the most uneventful TGS ever? I thought TGS was about big, mean, server breaking announcements. But it's just a blooming recap show!
Just like every games show this year unfortunately.
Nintendo is doing its own thing, and both Sony and MS are just watching each other waiting to see which one will move first.
I can't believe we are at the end of September and we almost haven't seen anything of the big 2008 1st/2nd party releases.

Aggelos

Amir0x said:
Sony PS3

● Did you know Beautiful Katamari is really super quirky and not another sequel in a totally played out franchise? I bet you didn't! So check this shit out. (A, I, V)

Wait, what? Is Beautiful Katamari for PS3 as well??? Do you have any namco insider info that you want to pass in a subtle way?:D

Wollan

Blimblim said:
both Sony and MS are just watching each other waiting to see which one will move first.
I can't believe we are at the end of September and we almost haven't seen anything of the big 2008 1st/2nd party releases.
I disagree in regards to Sony. They've been announcing PS3 games all year with the exception of TGS (unless you count fl0wer & Dress).

Blue Dragon DS has NOTHING to do with cards at the moment -- there's an official TCG from Konami instead. Right now, all we know about BD DS is that it has "minigames you can play outside of battle".

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Blue Dragon DS has NOTHING to do with cards at the moment -- there's an official TCG from Konami instead. Right now, all we know about BD DS is that it has "minigames you can play outside of battle".

oh ok that's much better i will edit it

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wollan said:
I disagree in regards to Sony. They've been announcing PS3 games all year with the exception of TGS (unless you count fl0wer & Dress).
I'm talking about showing games, and as far as I can tell no big 2008 release (as in, not some PSN/XBLA stuff) has been shown let alone played by the press.
Last year at the same time we had all seen some stuff about Naughty dog's game (to be named uncharted later IIRC), about Heavenly Sword, about Lair, about Halo 3, about Mass Effect...
What do we know about the big games for the end of 2008? Heck, we don't even know what's going to be released in Q1/Q2 2008 yet. As far as I remember this is the first time we are so in the dark since years.

Rama

Holy crap.

I've seen people make E3 and TGS threads before, but never have I seen this much work go into one.

Kudos, man. major kudos.

Amir0x

Banned
Rama said:
Holy crap.

I've seen people make E3 and TGS threads before, but never have I seen this much work go into one.

Kudos, man. major kudos.

I like making them, I don't know.

TGS 2007 Summary Thread
X06 Summary Thread
Wii Launch Detail Event Summary Thread
GDC 2007 Summary Thread
E3 2006 NeoGAF Awards Summary
Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Summary
Sony E3 2006 Conference Summary
Microsoft E3 2006 Conference Summary
GDC 2006 Thread I Summary
GDC 2006 Thread II Summary
TGS 2005 Summary Thread
X05 Summary Thread

But by far my largest undertaking to date, so absurdly large it took days to compile in full, is

Official E3 2006 Summary Thread

That shit exploded my brain.

AniHawk said:
Ancel's team isn't working on Rabbids 2. According to the GAF Insiders Group (some guy from the last NPD thread), he threatened to walk if he didn't get a chance to do BGE2. Blimblim followed it up with a sort of "wink wink" post.

I figure if he was behind RRR2, we'd have heard something from him on the project, but he's been silent for nearly a year.

wow if true...dont bloody be a wii game

Wollan

Blimblim said:
I'm talking about showing games, and as far as I can tell no big 2008 release has been shown let alone played by the press.
I'm not going to go all list on you but Sony have been very open with letting people play LBP at pretty much every event. Killzone 2 as well, the press has gotten hands-on at Leipzig as well as there existing half-hour long videos on the net for people to watch. Two huge Q2 games there. While GT5P is a 07 product, it should represent the current level of GT5 production so all in all, Sony have given the press access to material from their three biggest 08 1st party projects as well as Home.

TreIII

Amir0x said:
● This one is just for TreIII. IGN added a host of new images for Kunio Dodge Ball, aka Super Dodge Ball DS, so check 'em out if interested in bashing skulls with balls. (I)

Aw, thanks man. I really appreciate the effort and thinking about me.

...It's just that, unfortunately, the IGN pics aren't new...they're all recycles of pictures that have been seen before. ^^; But again, it's truly the thought that counts.

And speaking of which...here's something to add to your list:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/822/822006p1.html

Article and images for the upcoming and very bad-ass looking King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match for PS2.

And while you're at it: http://www.gamespot.com/video/93521...fighters-98-ultimate-match-official-trailer-1

The official trailer for KOF98:UM! Enjoy, all SNK fans out there! :D

AniHawk

nelsonroyale said:
wow if true...dont bloody be a wii game
Why not? Chances are it will, and Ancel's expressed real interest in working on the system. I'd rather see the guy do exactly what his imagination wants than being forced to do what the company wants him to do. Wii, PS3, or 360... whatever brings his vision to life the fullest is fine by me, and it should be fine with anyone else that's an Ancel fan. I think he's one of the few people in the industry you can say that about.

Mar

Awesome thread. Thanks. Looks like I missed out on a few things here and there in regards to TGS, and I was following GAF quite a bit. I now have a number of game impressions to read.

thanks

This is an amazing thread.

I just watched those Ikaruga gameplay videos, and they actually made me cringe. Much like MGS4 gameplay footage, it's so hard watching someone suck ass at a game I'm really looking forward to. I just hope one of Ikaruga's achievements will be "bullet eater". It will take a long time for people to perfect the achievements for that game, hopefully.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wollan said:
I'm not going to go all list on you but Sony have been very open with letting people play LBP at pretty much every event. Killzone 2 as well, the press has gotten hands-on at Leipzig as well as there existing half-hour long videos on the net for people to watch. Two huge Q2 games there. While GT5P is a 07 product, it should represent the current level of GT5 production so all in all, Sony have given the press access to material from their three biggest 08 1st party projects as well as Home.
For some reason I always have LPB as a 2007 title in my mind. And yes I totally forgot Killzone 2. So Sony is a tad more open than MS, but still we didn't see anything from the Q3/Q4 titles (though I somehow think K2 will be one of them).

Great thread, PS2 section looks a bit flat, im sure it got more than that.. :S

- Various videos at TGS (Ar Tonelico 2, SRW OG, Time Crisis 4, plus 2 other random videos) http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20070920_tokyo_game_show_booth2

oh here's a life size Haruhi for you anime fans

suzumiya.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The other Level 5 DS game is missing, Inazuma Eleven (A, V).

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney trailer with English names (V).

Why Taito's DS Paddle Controller Rocks So Hard (A) and Space Invaders Extreme The Sleeper Hit of TGS 2007 (A).

JDSN

Banned
Beautiful Katamari director Jun Morikawa clarified that Beautiful Katamari specifically will not be appearing on the PS3, but the series will definitely be making its way to the console soon. (A)

Beautiful Katamari director Jun Morikawa hinted at the series making an appearance on Wii. (A)

Do impressions go here?

My writer Nick Breckon did not love We Love Golf. He hated We Love Golf.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49098

If you took the rules of golf and translated them into a Japanese instruction manual, you'd have Camelot's We Love Golf!, a game so insidious in nature that it's literally impossible to sound unexcited about it. But unexcited you will feel when faced with a shot meter more complicated and unintuitive than an actual round of golf.
Basically, in order to tee off, the game requires you to do all of the same calculations required to launch the original Apollo space mission.
I could go on about how needlessly frustrating We Love Golf! is, but you have more fun things to be doing, like kicking field goals in a 90s-era Madden game. In its current state, the game would make a great April Fool's Day gift for any dad.

AniHawk said:
Why not? Chances are it will, and Ancel's expressed real interest in working on the system. I'd rather see the guy do exactly what his imagination wants than being forced to do what the company wants him to do. Wii, PS3, or 360... whatever brings his vision to life the fullest is fine by me, and it should be fine with anyone else that's an Ancel fan. I think he's one of the few people in the industry you can say that about.

cant really argue with that...but I B & G was so nice visually, I would love to see a next gen evolution of the games graphics, rather than anything modified controls could offer, which I care about less

nelsonroyale said:
cant really argue with that...but I B & G was so nice visually, I would love to see a next gen evolution of the games graphics, rather than anything modified controls could offer, which I care about less
I think Wii could be the best system for the game. If he makes it for 360 or PS3, Ubisoft is going to need to invest a full on high-end budget, and the game's sales expectations would be considerably higher in order to break even or profit. That could work out well if it's a big hit, but could also have one or both of two other possibilities: 1) Ubisoft steps in, Warrior Within-style to make the game more easily marketable (and stupid), and/or 2) the game fails to reach the higher sales that the higher budget demands, and the series is buried once again, disallowing Ancel from finishing his planned trilogy.

Wii would surely put less pressure on Ancel, requiring less of a budget and allowing him to work with a smaller team--and even that is probably a good thing for a highly personal project like BGE. It would also allow him to work on hardware very similar to hardware we already know he loves and his team is very competent with. Plus, honestly, BGE's style still looks great, and if all they had to do on the engine side was optimize for Wii and make stuff look even better, you'd have to be a pretty empty gamer to not enjoy that.

For a long time I've thought Wii would be the most likely and sensical platform for BGE2, and I still feel that way. Now obviously if Ubi does have the confidence to put it on 360 and PS3, that's fine and great too, you'll have no complaints from me.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah as a gamer, as long as Ubisoft would greenlight it, of course I'd prefer it on 360/PS3. But it does seem more likely to be Wii, if ever. if it has to be Wii, that is preferable to no BG&E2 at all

Top Bottom