• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outer Range Trailer - Josh Brolin, Imogen Poots

Josh Brolin is always an easy sell for me. I like Imogen Poots as well. Seen her in a few things, and she's always come across likeable. Nice cast list, and interesting premise. I'll give it a go.

GOD DAMNIT!

Why are all modern westerns so FU$#ING dour? I don't want to hang out with miserable people all the time.

crying-shea-brennan.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I was 100% on board until I saw it was a series instead of a movie.

This. No thanks, unless it's actually got a sensible running time like Chernobyl or The Queen's Gambit or Midnight Mass. These 12 hour seasons of shows that never fucking end are exhausting.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I was 100% on board until I saw it was a series instead of a movie.
Same.

Also the I feel the mystery and horror in the series will be humans. Not aliens because nothing is more horrible than man which I think will be so thrust into the message it will be like a Chair shot to the skull.

Last edited:
I watched the two available episodes. It's extremely slow but interesting enough to keep watching. I'm curious where it will go but I'm not going to be watching weekly (I hate the weekly release model). I'll wait until the season is nearly done and binge before the finale.

SJRB

I watched the two available episodes. It's extremely slow but interesting enough to keep watching. I'm curious where it will go but I'm not going to be watching weekly (I hate the weekly release model). I'll wait until the season is nearly done and binge before the finale.

It's weekly release? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

I like binging shows on a lazy Sunday [or Easter Monday]. Will wait untill the entire season is out, I guess.

clarky

Yeah this trend of one a week fucking sucks. I know Amazon do it so you have to long in once a week and might buy something or rent a new movie or something but in reality all it does (for me) is not log on until the full seasons out.

AJUMP23

Anyone check this out yet?
Watched episode one and it was enough to get me to watch episode 2. There are some things happening and mysteries are adding up. No ones agenda is clear and there is no resolution. I hope we get some answers as the season moves forward.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
The trailer looks interesting and it has a great cast. I'll definitely be checking it out- Thanks for the heads-up, Eyeron Eyeron ! :)

Lunarorbit

Patriots day so I don't have to work. Either do yard work or get highh and watch this?

Maybe yard work later.

At least no one brought up aliens and cowboys so that's a check mark in the good column

daveonezero

I hate the “I didn’t tell anyone about thing I found so I’m stressed and acting weird” plot point.

Like they just went through some shit you could be a little open about what is going on.

But I’m interested

Last edited:

manfestival

The trailer for this makes it look interesting but I never watch these type of shows. I guess I like my action shows but... I might be willing if this is compelling enough. Any solid recommendations or should I wait till the season is over?

jason10mm

This is a weird show. Since we are back to weekly drops (or double drops or however they are releasing this show) we ought to have a spoiler thread.

Anyway, end of ep 2 speculation

so the hole leads to alternate universes? Royal goes to a world where he died, openinG up the possibility of finding his daughter alive in one. Possibly it just shifted him forward a few years as well, like the bison with Indian arrows. The site has other things coming out of it thus thera are guards and people waiting to use it or see what comes out. I figure the camper girl is his granddaughter all grown up,/SPOILER]

daveonezero

This is a weird show. Since we are back to weekly drops (or double drops or however they are releasing this show) we ought to have a spoiler thread.

so the hole leads to alternate universes? Royal goes to a world where he died, openinG up the possibility of finding his daughter alive in one. Possibly it just shifted him forward a few years as well, like the bison with Indian arrows. The site has other things coming out of it thus thera are guards and people waiting to use it or see what comes out. I figure the camper girl is his granddaughter all grown up,/SPOILER]
I think it is a possible future. The void has something to do with chronic. He made a time jump from when he was pushed in to a future. He died in that time gap.

the land at the time he arrived in was obviously sold and taken over by new owners and the government was researching and watching the hole.

Autumn in That time made a cult worshipping him and or the land or hole

Last edited:

Mato

I'm watching the first episode and I'm really bugged by the camera work/editing/excess dof. There's almost always something blurry in the foreground and the way the image is cropped makes it look zoomed-in and uncomfortable to watch.

jason10mm

I'm watching the first episode and I'm really bugged by the camera work/editing/excess dof. There's almost always something blurry in the foreground and the way the image is cropped makes it look zoomed-in and uncomfortable to watch.
I find it very very dark. Long scenes of almost impossible to see activity. Don't know if it is deliberate or just artistic excess, but it is annoying.

I think it is a possible future. The void has something to do with chronic. He made a time jump from when he was pushed in to a future. He died in that time gap.

the land at the time he arrived in was obviously sold and taken over by new owners and the government was researching and watching the hole.

Autumn in That time made a cult worshipping him and or the land or hole
yeah, thats a thought. But Autumn looks SO MUCH like Amy, I gotta think they are the same person or related (her daughter?)The memory gap before age 9 that Autumn mentions, is that how old Amy is? Is she Royals mom and Royal was lost through the wormhole as a boy (didn't he just show up at that ranch as a kid?) The way there were guard towers and all these collected people in jumpsuits around the hole makes me think it is more than just a "hey, what is this weird hole?" business. The government would have quarantined it off, if it was Tillman land now I don't think they would have let Royals wife just hang out there. I guess we'll see if it is 'possible' future if the Indian cop loses her election in the main timeline. Presumably Trevors body will show up at some point, no?

Anyway, this is a classic "mystery box" show ATM, I sincerely hope it can carry its own water throughout. For folks on the fence about these types of shows, I recommend holding off if endless speculation only to be deprived of any answers really pisses you off, as this show could EASILY end up there.

daveonezero

I find it very very dark. Long scenes of almost impossible to see activity. Don't know if it is deliberate or just artistic excess, but it is annoying.

yeah, thats a thought. But Autumn looks SO MUCH like Amy, I gotta think they are the same person or related (her daughter?)The memory gap before age 9 that Autumn mentions, is that how old Amy is? Is she Royals mom and Royal was lost through the wormhole as a boy (didn't he just show up at that ranch as a kid?) The way there were guard towers and all these collected people in jumpsuits around the hole makes me think it is more than just a "hey, what is this weird hole?" business. The government would have quarantined it off, if it was Tillman land now I don't think they would have let Royals wife just hang out there. I guess we'll see if it is 'possible' future if the Indian cop loses her election in the main timeline. Presumably Trevors body will show up at some point, no?
it was weird that it was a government controlled environment but his wife just walked up and then the Tilleraon shot him. Like what’s the point of the security zone and military.

I also had the though that there is a connection between her and his daugher. if it was his daughter he and the child would have notified she looked like the missing person.

jason10mm

They are very vague as to what Royals daughter looks like. I at least couldn't even see that one family photo very well. So either thay are not casting her because she never shows up in S1 or we will see her but aren't supposed to recognize her.

I'm curious what the black stuff seeping into royals skin is. Nanotech? Reassembling his flesh after quantum telepoetation? Just a cool never to be explained effect? I bet we will see Trevor alive again as the hole acts like a Lazarus pit.

poppabk

Anyone with a second rate LCD watched this? I saw several reviews complaining about this, it seems like a lot of shows are made for OLED's nowadays and can be literally unwatchable on an LCD screen.

AJUMP23

No when he stuck his hand in he aw into the future 2 hours. When he was pushed in he went into the future years. That is why he comes back with a leg injury in EP2 because he was shot in the future. Because in 2 years everyone knows about the pit and is waiting for what comes through.

jason10mm

No when he stuck his hand in he aw into the future 2 hours. When he was pushed in he went into the future years. That is why he comes back with a leg injury in EP2 because he was shot in the future. Because in 2 years everyone knows about the pit and is waiting for what comes through.
But what about the buffalo? That thing looks like it was from 150 years past or more. So I don't think the hole is a fixed specific time/place, although it would make sense that if Trevors body popped out (dead or reanimated or not quite dead to begin with) 2+ years hence then there would be a police response and the other Tillman son is there ready to shoot someone. The wife didn't look much older, if any, so it seems like that "you've been dead for 2 years" line refers to a death that is gonna happen soon in the current timeline. I don't think he just goes missing in the hole either, unless the word dead is used deceptively (to the audience) the same way folks are saying the daughter, once missing, is now being considered dead.

jason10mm

By the end of ep 4.....what the fuuuuuuuuck.

This show is getting more and more like Twin Peaks but I'm not sure that's in a good way.

jason10mm

Hard to say what's going on now, a lot of my thoughts after ep2 were tossed out. Royal and Autumn actually touching and seemingly causing the mountain to fade in and out seems like it represents two divergent timelines collapsing together, possibly now and a far future? Not sure how that pulled Trevors body out of what ought to have been a 2+ year jump (or is it a random time every time?). Interesting that Trevors body didn't age, lets see if the cop shifts tactics because unless she thinks the Abbotts kept Trevor captive for a week then the bar fight is pretty irrelevant and the fresh fatal injuries would suggest he was beaten much later. I did like her interrogation technique, too bad the Abbott boys are pretty slow witted to not plan an alibi a week ago.

The card game is very weird but was my favorite scene. Not sure what the bison is supposed to represent, I feel like that scene belonged in another show and hopefully it doesn't herald a move towards a more metaphorical explanation of things (i.e. the pit presents Royals guilt over killing his daughter in some accident or whatever and he never did throw Trevors body in, just dumped it on the mountain). I'm increasingly convinced that Autumn is somehow related to the Abbotts, either as Royals sister/descendant or from Amy. That she has a bit of time stone now argues against her becoming a Royal cultist in the future unless she is already in a loop.

The continued hiding of what Rachael looks like is odd, unless they are still holding off on actually casting her till a possible s2. I no longer think she is actually Autumn and everyone is memory wiped or something, the shpw does not seem like the alien probe thing I initially thought. The smoke rock stuff is equally confusing, unless it is the quantum juice that powers the wormhole or whatever. That the stone presented to Tillman looks kinda like an apple with a bite taken out suggests to me an Adam and Eve original sin motif but that's just me riffing off how some of these writers think.

I'm also quite disappointed that the "nudity" flag on Ep4 was for a flash of old man butt crack and not that smoke show latina girl

VN1X

This show is getting really good now. The cinematography is out of this world (ha) but then again it's kind of cheating when you have the mountain west as your backdrop hehe.

It'll probably get cancelled before season 2's even over though because people only want stupid and easy digestible nonsense these days apparently.

daveonezero

Anyone with a second rate LCD watched this? I saw several reviews complaining about this, it seems like a lot of shows are made for OLED's nowadays and can be literally unwatchable on an LCD screen.
I’m watching it on a cheap Hisense from Costco. Seemed fine after a few settings tweaks.

Top Bottom