• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Klepek gets called out on racism, sexism, rape jokes, child rape jokes, voyeurism and more

Fitzchiv

Fuck me I'm glad the whole phenomenon of being a “gamer” with its own subculture came to pass after I’d gone through the phase of needing to label myself as some shit.

That said, I’m also glad Facebook and Twitter didn’t kick off until the year I left uni and thus was spending all my time catching up after the hedonism of the previous three years..

Dunki

i've only looked at a couple of these tweets but from what i've seen i dont have a problem with it, people fuck around on their own time whatever but i have no power over anyone. where as the people in charge and have the authority, whether influence or actual status are the ones that created these puritanical rules so they sort of should get fucked by the rules they put up for everyone (including them).
They do and it is totally fine. Especially as Teenager you do a lot of bullshit. But when you then openly harass and trying to get people fired who did the same in their youth. Then you are a fucking asshole just like Klepeck. He always acts like he has a far more superior standard and calls everyone out who does not. But in the meantime he does not judge himself on this same level. And ignores basically everything he did or does.

zenspider

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi This would be a great example for your apology thread.

What would it take for Patrick Klepeck to redeem himself in this board, and how is that different from, say, another forum?

Personally, I don't think anyone realy gives a shit about what he did when he was a kid - especially here where we say we're all about context and free speech. But because we misalign him, now we are sanctimonious about his actions, and the people on the other side are accepting of youthful mistakes.

Really, it's about hypocrisy - Klepeck and the psuedo-journalists have been the vanguard of smear and slander for shit he's just as guilty of. I think there's a place for emapthy and here.

Patrick Klepek should not have to apologize for what he's done, but for what he's doing: maligning people and companies who don't share his current sensibilities.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Old post but a good one.

American media has learned that the profitable way to be is to have a viewpoint/narrative that gets people worked up and stick to it. It is the Fox News/CNN/NYT etc model. A model that seeks genuine discourse and idea exchange isn't as profitable because the majority of consumers don't want to be exposed to ideas that actually challenge their POV, so they will gravitate to sources that don’t allow that.

Like, Alan Dershowitz was banned from CNN because of his criticism of the special council. Alan FUCKING Dershowitz! Why? Because he made the viewers uncomfortable with his well thought out opinions and the fact he is a distinguished liberal democrat. Now, you can have a republican on cnn arguing the same stuff so you can still get some sparks, but because he is republican, the viewers don't feel challenged because they all know republicans are evil liars. It is an interesting phenomena, this sport-ification of political coverage.

I like that phrase. The "sport-ification" of political and now gaming coverage. It's your team vs. our team. It's so stupid.

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi This would be a great example for your apology thread.

What would it take for Patrick Klepeck to redeem himself in this board, and how is that different from, say, another forum?

Personally, I don't think anyone realy gives a shit about what he did when he was a kid - especially here where we say we're all about context and free speech. But because we misalign him, now we are sanctimonious about his actions, and the people on the other side are accepting of youthful mistakes.

Really, it's about hypocrisy - Klepeck and the psuedo-journalists have been the vanguard of smear and slander for shit he's just as guilty of. I think there's a place for emapthy and here.

Patrick Klepek should not have to apologize for what he's done, but for what he's doing: maligning people and companies who don't share his current sensibilities.

He should have to apologize for what he's done in the past as a teenager, but the reasonable and smart thing would always "at the very minimim" would be to at least explain it away. There's zero reason for me to think he's changed since he was younger, unless he tells us he's changed and doesn't feel that way nowadays.

And there's nothing wrong, in my opinion, with maligning people and companies who don't share your sensibilities. But how you go about maligning them matters. Is there any honesty and respect there or not?

zenspider

I like that phrase. The "sport-ification" of political and now gaming coverage. It's your team vs. our team. It's so stupid.

He should have to apologize for what he's done in the past as a teenager, but the reasonable and smart thing would always "at the very minimim" would be to at least explain it away. There's zero reason for me to think he's changed since he was younger, unless he tells us he's changed and doesn't feel that way nowadays.

And there's nothing wrong, in my opinion, with maligning people and companies who don't share your sensibilities. But how you go about maligning them matters. Is there any honesty and respect there or not?

I agree with your ultimate sentiment, but I think that "I was young and stupid" is - for most transgressions - something we can all understand, accept, and relate to. At least from my perspective, it's like apolotransgressions.ogizing for another person's behavior. For example, I'm going to court today to fight a ticket I got 14 years ago. I barely remember the circumstances, let alone the mindset I was in.

Looking at PK's behavior then and now, it's clear beyond a doubt he is not the same person either. It's only in the context of him and his cohorts digging up old tweets and posts and trying to end careers with them that it's relevant. That is where I'd like to see a reckoning. The fact that there is no self-reflection on his part from which to draw empathy or understanding for other's behavior is a real problem when he is attempting to ruin livelihoods with past (and present) transgressions.

Last edited:
If the 2000s were angry, then what were the 2010s? I've never heard Americans scream and rage and act downright feral like I've seen during this time period (sometimes even in person, so you can't just say the Internet exaggerates things)

Honestly, they are about the same. It just seems worse because we had a relatively chill period between 2009/10 up until 2015/16. The Bush years were just as bad when it comes to the standard of "casual political discourse", the primary difference now is that the internet makes it all so much louder and constant. The 90s were even worse in regards to racial tensions, I think the only time in recent memory we've gotten close is during the whole Trayvon Martin incident and Black Lives Matter deal back before it fizzled out.

Xenon

Seems like a nice enough guy but from what I've seen he would happily scorch another person to prove how good of an ally he is which is scary as hell in the current culture war.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I agree with your ultimate sentiment, but I think that "I was young and stupid" is - for most transgressions - something we can all understand, accept, and relate to. At least from my perspective, it's like apolotransgressions.ogizing for another person's behavior. For example, I'm going to court today to fight a ticket I got 14 years ago. I barely remember the circumstances, let alone the mindset I was in.

Looking at PK's behavior then and now, it's clear beyond a doubt he is not the same person either. It's only in the context of him and his cohorts digging up old tweets and posts and trying to end careers with them that it's relevant. That is where I'd like to see a reckoning. The fact that there is no self-reflection on his part from which to draw empathy or understanding for other's behavior is a real problem when he is attempting to ruin livelihoods with past (and present) transgressions.

It’s of course easy to see hypocrisy in people we disagree with while walllowing in it ourselves. How much petty, dumb, point scoring content is posted here under the guise of righteous indignation? Every time I come back to social media it’s the same shit, different day. Hopefully we get bored of it or develop the media literacy to see how shallow it is.

ShadyJ

Oh my days, I'm living to see these assholes destroy themselves.

This little twerp will be laughed at in any media role besides writing about video games. What a time to be alive

Top Bottom