• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Nova |OT| - Emergency Code: Import!

baekshi

Banned
More like those were announced ahead of time that it was going to have the mode in, so would appreciate it if you stopped doing the constant incorrect comparison.

Constant incorrect comparison? They were all ad hoc only, 2 games had online patch planned.

Nope not really a standard. Not here in Japan anyways.

Was already talked about why the decision was made for no online. As stupid of a decision as it was, its a very "Japanese" decision as in short sighted. But also possibly goes to show that they have no intention of releasing this in the West, since without online people will bitch cry and moan incessantly causing the game to not sell well.

Its not like an online mode is something you can shoe horn in later on also, with all the work that needs to go into the development for that. Since SEGA has not announced anything like will add in later too wouldnt hold your breath on it.

Title stands perfectly fine on its own as a SP game with the added bonus of adhoc play. Its not like there isnt a "free" option to go and play if you want to play a game in the Phantasy Star universe online anyways.

Yeah, that reasoning makes sense. Sure sounds like Sega, anyway.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, that reasoning makes sense. Sure sounds like Sega, anyway.

Really, really short sighted of them. Could say at the same time that potentially internally the consumer gaming division does not have that much of a budget for localizing all sorts of titles. Its not like they have not tried in the past with the valkyria / yakuza series and low sales is what am sure killed off any idea of them further releasing other titles in the series. Truthfully I do not even want to think of what the cost of localization for the Yakuza series games was, considering how much work must have went into the whole thing. Its not the translation part thats the problem, its putting everything together and making sure it all works right. Since massive size difference with JP and Eng text for example and trying to have that fit all over the place must be a nightmare. Along side of all of the actual licensed things that appear in game would be a pain in the ass too unless done up ahead of time in the contract. Otherwise would be required to go back to said company for product / person X etc and get another contract for using said likeness overseas.

Sure they had shit marketing, but that too would have to do with the type of allocated budget the consumer side has available which am sure is allocated between various projects. Usually the marketing stuff is all handled by the business side which wanders over to the development side when they need something be it resources or information for marketing. Production deals with all of the under the hood stuff which also includes the localization.

SEGA seems to have put a lot of effort into the Hatsune Miku stuff, but thats a pretty big given considering how worldwide the appeal is, with how you see it all over the place. So its a pretty big IP in terms of visibility.

Am sure SEGA knows more than we all do in regards to the kind of numbers that the Phantasy Star community has in the West, which is most likely why they have decided to not bring it out yet or at all. As talks with a friend who worked for NCSOFT told me that the type of costs that go behind setting up / running MMOs and such is insane.

Either that or SEGA the US side does not want to be the one responsible for those costs and the JP side does not either, therefore the project is stalled out, without a third party to come in and shoulder those costs if they are allowed part of the profits from the game itself.

Have seen a situation like that first hand before, in terms of the US and JP side not wanting to cooperate so nothing went forward. More like had to be in the middle of it talking to both sides. Not surprising though, since it will greatly effect whoever takes charge of it and if losses are caused heads will roll etc. Not exactly what one wants in the economic times we are in. On top of as you all know Japan is not doing the best economically so with that in mind am sure top brass in the various companies too are not too interested in signing off on various projects without ensured returns on investments.

Parakeetman

oh man the event with snake is hilarious.

(hes not in the game but his va does the voice of one of the characters)

Happy to hear you guys are digging the game. Still waiting for mine to turn up from Play Asia. Not too bothered, would like it before Xmas though. I'll be away at the other half's family over the holiday, it would be perfect to have it to dig into then.

Also awesome to see that there is already a great guide available for us English speaking luddites. Thank you to the guy working on that.

Parakeetman

Did up a stupid video while finishing off random unfinished missions. Left the kill X target with the knucles for a long time. Didnt have anything near up to the level am at so made these pink ones as had tons of resources for it. Then decided to make a matching outfit lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq3PpKgraEk

emb

Hey Nova thread, I'm thinking about importing this game as a Christmas gift, and just wanted to check here first. I haven't important anything for the Vita, so I want to be sure:

Will this game work without issue on a PS Vita from the United States?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey Nova thread, I'm thinking about importing this game as a Christmas gift, and just wanted to check here first. I haven't important anything for the Vita, so I want to be sure:

Will this game work without issue on a PS Vita from the United States?
The retail version? Yes.
The patches will work, but you won't be able to download the dlc iirc.

emb

The retail version? Yes.
The patches will work, but you won't be able to download the dlc iirc.
Sweet, much thanks for the assistance!

Depending on what my friend thinks of it, and my financials, I'll probably look into getting my own copy later for co-op too.

Parakeetman

I really want to play this..
how playable is it for a non-Japanese speaker/player

most things are fairly straight forward though on occasion you might not know what skills are with the shops with the crew bonuses or doing the weapon upgrades.

though still should be playable for the most part.

My copy turned up in the post this morning. No customs charge, phew!

I've created a character and it's time to dive in. First impressions, nice music and really nice graphics. Okay, I'm off to read some of that guide.

Parakeetman

My copy turned up in the post this morning. No customs charge, phew!

I've created a character and it's time to dive in. First impressions, nice music and really nice graphics. Okay, I'm off to read some of that guide.

good luck and hope you enjoy the title!

Does this game work fine with a US Playstation TV?

I can't be 100% sure for PS:N but I do know that folk in PAL regions were able to play a North American import of Danganronpa on their PSTV, despite the PAL version of that game not being compatible with the system.

No idea unfortunately. My PSVTV is a JP one. You will have to see if anyone else who is still following the thread has a US PSVTV / tried it out. D:

I don't think that should matter anymore? I was fairly certain any regional differences ended once the thing was actually released worldwide.

Parakeetman

I don't think that should matter anymore? I was fairly certain any regional differences ended once the thing was actually released worldwide.

I was thinking the same thing, but at the same time do not want to suggest anything to a fellow GAF member and they wind up wasting their $$$ due to functionality not being present sort of deal.

eastx

I was thinking the same thing, but at the same time do not want to suggest anything to a fellow GAF member and they wind up wasting their $$$ due to functionality not being present sort of deal.

Well, it's on sale at Play Asia so I went ahead and took the gamble. I'll sell it if I can't play it, seeing as how I don't own a regular Vita.

Hopefully someone else can test before then.

Parakeetman

Well, it's on sale at Play Asia so I went ahead and took the gamble. I'll sell it if I can't play it, seeing as how I don't own a regular Vita.

Hopefully someone else can test before then.

Good luck and do hope that it works!

Took some quick fights while waiting for my brother on their Chinese New Year school stuff.

This game has a really, really shitty lock-on system against Gigantes. How do people even use Melee against Gigantes? I mainly rotated classes, but mostly uses Technics (Force/Buster = Tech) with some guns, and delegated Hunter to quest EXP after a while.

Tries to lock on Gallation's tail. (with sword)
>Screen is centered on the double-chainsaw tail.
>Make sure the "chainsaw-wings" are not on screen.
>Press L (changed to single press with option, btw)
>Locks on to the feet-chainsaw instead, which was behind the tail and was not even visible.

WTF. I wasted 3~4 times him being down just to lock on the fucking tail.

Similarly, there's case with Arkyune with the rifle. I locked on fine on the tentacle at the start of the battle (from far away). Got blinded so lockon was released. Blind was gone. Couldn't lock on anymore. Even going near his main body, I couldn't lock on his face/armor. >___>

Parakeetman

Took some quick fights while waiting for my brother on their Chinese New Year school stuff.

This game has a really, really shitty lock-on system against Gigantes. How do people even use Melee against Gigantes? I mainly rotated classes, but mostly uses Technics (Force/Buster = Tech) with some guns, and delegated Hunter to quest EXP after a while.

Tries to lock on Gallation's tail. (with sword)
>Screen is centered on the double-chainsaw tail.
>Make sure the "chainsaw-wings" are not on screen.
>Press L (changed to single press with option, btw)
>Locks on to the feet-chainsaw instead, which was behind the tail and was not even visible.

WTF. I wasted 3~4 times him being down just to lock on the fucking tail.

Similarly, there's case with Arkyune with the rifle. I locked on fine on the tentacle at the start of the battle (from far away). Got blinded so lockon was released. Blind was gone. Couldn't lock on anymore. Even going near his main body, I couldn't lock on his face/armor. >___>

lol yeah the lock on system is mainly worthless and not really suggested to use on things with multiple target points.

Its possible to kill shit with melee weapons, though some bosses turn into a slide show when you try it. Mainly the train bug one. Though you can get in some real good hits with the melee weapons due to their arc being so huge as the game designed the skills towards larger targets and Ive done some insane damage with the sword for example as thats the weapon that Ive leveled up the highest currently for melee. The glaive is pretty good also. The first weapons are not too bad, but you need to be in kinda close.

parakeetman, it looks like you have finished the story, can you let us know if there is any bond-building/social-linking mode in this game?

like the MC improving bond/friendship meter with other NPCs

any hints of romance in any of those friendship meters? anything subtle going on?

my friends and i are waiting for the mandarin subbed localization coming in march and we would love if you can tell us more

Parakeetman

parakeetman, it looks like you have finished the story, can you let us know if there is any bond-building/social-linking mode in this game?

like the MC improving bond/friendship meter with other NPCs

any hints of romance in any of those friendship meters? anything subtle going on?

my friends and i are waiting for the mandarin subbed localization coming in march and we would love if you can tell us more

Info bout the friendship stuff.
The friendship stuff is ending related so getting the NPC to the max level with the friendship stuff adds events to the ending.

No romance stuff in this title. Just special events that happen in relation to the NPC itself when their friendship level is raised.

Info bout the friendship stuff.
The friendship stuff is ending related so getting the NPC to the max level with the friendship stuff adds events to the ending.

No romance stuff in this title. Just special events that happen in relation to the NPC itself when their friendship level is raised.

thanks, so the friendship level changes the ending somewhat? can you spoil us a bit more on what exactly happens during the end? friendship doesn't improve combat in anyway?

Parakeetman

thanks, so the friendship level changes the ending somewhat? can you spoil us a bit more on what exactly happens during the end? friendship doesn't improve combat in anyway?

Not really, as the AI still acts the same. You will get more promise orders and such, but thats about it.

extra narration gets added talking about what each character did after the events that occurred on the planet.

its nothing really major but a nice added touch for those that bothered to raise the friendship lv to max.

Heres a good 攻略 site if you need info on things. Though its JP only so apologies if you are unable to read this.
http://ds-can.com/psnova/

Not really, as the AI still acts the same. You will get more promise orders and such, but thats about it.

extra narration gets added talking about what each character did after the events that occurred on the planet.

its nothing really major but a nice added touch for those that bothered to raise the friendship lv to max.

thanks!

may i ask if you have finished ge2 rage burst as well? the localized game comes out tomorrow and we are getting it together. if you have, would you say that the bonding events in that game are quite detailed? I've seen some comments by users who finished the game that there is some subtle attraction going on between MC and a few female characters but nothing directly stated - as always for JRPGS

and 谢谢大神for攻略 :)

Parakeetman

thanks!

may i ask if you have finished ge2 rage burst as well? the localized game comes out tomorrow and we are getting it together. if you have, would you say that the bonding events in that game are quite detailed? I've seen some comments by users who finished the game that there is some subtle attraction going on between MC and a few female characters but nothing directly stated - as always for JRPGS

and 谢谢大神for攻略 :)

Truthfully have not seen the new content yet unfortunately as have started over in GE2:RB. As forgot where the story was when I left off in GE2 lol.

It takes a while since the Rage Burst content is end game related.

Though Hasemo has gotten to the new content. So if you leave a thread in the OT am sure he would get back to you with an answer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994403

One thing for sure is the game is a HUGE improvement over the original with all of the added content / tweaks and such. Graphically it still looks the same cept for nicer resolution for the GE2 related things, but from what I understand the Rage Burst related content does look nicer.

Yeah game does not really do romance stuff, since the game itself is more tailored to keeping the MC "genderless" in the eyes of the other NPCs to keep things not as complex with the games design / events.

Been real busy with some other stuff along with the DQ:Heroes OT. Which am still working on now actually. D: So have not had time to play at all lately... Though have already caught up / went past where I was with my previous data. But still will be a bit more till I reach the RB content. Also need to finish an Etrian Mystery Dungeon OT that also am taking on for next week. Which will cut out even more time from my schedule.

eastx

Good news! The Japanese retail Phantasy Star Nova is fully compatible with North American Playstation TV, and can be updated without issues.

I streamed it last night on Twitch - the replay shows character creation and the first mission. It's not exciting but maybe somebody wants to see what that stuff is like!

Phantasy-Star-Nova-Playstation-TV-Twitch-stream-Eastxtwitch_zpspsf8lo8g.jpg

Parakeetman

Good news! The Japanese retail Phantasy Star Nova is fully compatible with North American Playstation TV, and can be updated without issues.

I streamed it last night on Twitch - the replay shows character creation and the first mission. It's not exciting but maybe somebody wants to see what that stuff is like!

Phantasy-Star-Nova-Playstation-TV-Twitch-stream-Eastxtwitch_zpspsf8lo8g.jpg

that indeed is good news for those who are still interested in importing the title.

Ogni-XR21

I got a Vita recently and found this used on Amazon Germany for 26 bucks, sent directly from Japan. Got it 2 days ago and love it.

Having played PSO2 the first few months after it's release I knew what I was getting into, and up until now I haven't have any problems playing the game even though I have no knowledge of Japanese at all.

A friend of mine ordered it a few days ago too, can't wait for my first ad-hoc game.

Compared to PSO2 you seem to level quite fast, which is kind of nice.

Parakeetman

I got a Vita recently and found this used on Amazon Germany for 26 bucks, sent directly from Japan. Got it 2 days ago and love it.

Having played PSO2 the first few months after it's release I knew what I was getting into, and up until now I haven't have any problems playing the game even though I have no knowledge of Japanese at all.

A friend of mine ordered it a few days ago too, can't wait for my first ad-hoc game.

Compared to PSO2 you seem to level quite fast, which is kind of nice.

Pretty much leveling is quite fast also leveling your skills is fairly easy as long as you have what is required to raise it to the next level.

For the most part there should not be anything overly complex where not knowing Japanese would stop a player from advancing in the game.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Pretty much leveling is quite fast also leveling your skills is fairly easy as long as you have what is required to raise it to the next level.

This is only true until you reach Lv100. Similarly for Tech/Arts (pre-100), if you keep rotating class/weapons/techs, Memory Fragments won't be enough. That is until you get those Promise Order from Kisara that gives you 20x Memory Fragments but that is only up to E. The PO was only added in the latest patch (150 max level cap one).

Early 100s have a very huge wall for equipment, and skills. Not to mention they have a huge annoying game balancing that becomes "bait and switch" (Glorious Rain barely increases in power while other skills' power increase is as much as 5x (or 3x can't remember) going from 20 to 21).

Naturally, that makes normal attacks much more useless post-100.

To make grinding worse, only stages with 難 can have the highest difficulty, so it limits available places. The stages I saw at low 100s were not versatile enough. >_>

As for PO giving so much EXP/etc, there were some added, but those that I have done no longer speeds up leveling in the same way that pre-100 did. Maybe the new paid DLC quests (if any) do. Maybe. >___>

I gave up around Lv-105-ish I think.

P.S. No matter what class you are, try to get Buster to 101 as it provides Tech Art JA Bonus, which gives "+80%" damage to Tech/Arts on successful Just Attack if you keep switching between techs/arts. If you're a Force/tech user, this will save you space on your skill board as Tech JA Advance can result from TAJAB + Tech Advance. They have pretty good synergy anyways.

Edit: You can always finish the main game and post-game and never bother with post-100 stuff. I think I finished most post game (minus 150 level patch stuff) around 80 hrs or something.

Ogni-XR21

Thanks for that informative post. I haven't been reading up on this a lot yet, I probably won't patch the game and I honestly don't know if I should read into what is different with the patch so I won't be annoyed by what I miss out on. It's my only Japanese game and not worth it to get a second memory stick for (and the hassle of changing regions).

I've recently been playing this on my Vita.

12387984_10153809155626465_1044202838_n.jpg

12387916_10153809153926465_1688000341_n.jpg

It's just fine if you don't speak Japanese, well so far at least. I have found a few useful websites that have a good FAQ. -No English dialogue or text, but the mission structure is easy to navigate through.

Translation of menus and locations explained are found in the first link.
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-nova-guide/
http://www.critdmg.com/phantasystarnova

I wish Sega would get something of this caliber localized, but I've heard they've said no several times.

paolo11

I've recently been playing this on my Vita.

12387984_10153809155626465_1044202838_n.jpg

12387916_10153809153926465_1688000341_n.jpg

It's just fine if you don't speak Japanese, well so far at least. I have found a few useful websites that have a good FAQ. -No English dialogue or text, but the mission structure is easy to navigate through.

Translation of menus and locations explained are found in the first link.
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-nova-guide/
http://www.critdmg.com/phantasystarnova

I wish Sega would get something of this caliber localized, but I've heard they've said no several times.

Sega should localize this immediately.

Top Bottom