• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbox Game Pass has millions and millions of subscribers.

Jigsaah

Well, why not make it an even billion?

That's not a source, it would be no different than me saying zero.... there isn't even a Xbox division at Microsoft.
I'm talking about for Playstation. You said they released their numbers last quarter. Do you know where I can find them, because everything im pulling up says 700,000.

DForce

It's the extreme of both ends. But there's certain people on here who act like they are financial gurus and know Microsoft's books and can predict the downfall.

When In reality they know nothing more than the people who support it do.

And the people who support it are more than happy. They are extremely satisfied with this new service and that's how things start to grow.

So would you rather be on the side of the people who think they know everything but in reality don't?

Or the side that's reaping the benefits and are excited?

Edit: tried to quote the part about people not being able to accept that they have millions because of $1 trials

There's two sides.

Side A: The have millions and millions of subscribers because of the 1-3 subscriptions.

and

Side B: This is huge and we should in no way downplay these numbers.

There have been plenty of $1 deals. I got 4 months worth for less than 5 dollars. I could get another for 6 dollars, which would be a total of 4 months.

People are looking for a bargain and people are more like to jump at a deal for $1 dollar than $9.99

That's a known fact.

Game pass is advertised all over Xbox, and if you click it and decide to join within the past year, there's a very good chance you got it for a dollar instead of a $9.99.

DanielsM

Banned
I'm talking about for Playstation. You said they released their numbers last quarter. Do you know where I can find them, because everything im pulling up says 700,000.
1 sec, I'll find it for you.

Here is the Investor Day brief from a few weeks ago, but if I remember right it was also in their quarterly financials. (Page 8) They did have 40% growth but that probably has more to do with them offering downloads now, implying Streaming is dead, imo.

Last edited:

kingwingin

I think game pass will be successful once all these studios they've aquired start pumping out games on a regular basis. Maybe even get the occasional third party release.

I can see myself paying full price in 3 years

Jigsaah

I've had game pass for multiple stints and I never paid more than a $1 at a time. I can't see anyone paying full price, unless they have money to burn. Probably millennials.
I'm 37. I paid full price for a time after the initial 14 day free trial when it first came out. Been subscribed ever since. Yes I do have money to burn...because apparently I've been doing it unnecessarily

FranXico

6097291000150318144911.jpg

Lort

Banned
If your cheap enough to find 1$ game subscriptions your cheap enough to pay $10 a month for the best game subscription service.

Think about it anyone who has that much time and that little money will ABSOLUTELY continue on with it after the promo ends.

Pallas

As a consumer, you folks wanna argue how much better Sony's services are doing, while altogether being basically fine with Sony raising it's prices for PS+ in Europe.

How wide is you posterior that you essentially don't feel how hard you're being fucked right now?

Gimme dat Game Pass Ultimate for a dollar all day anyday everyday, And leave my booty alone.

I thought it’s pretty hilarious that another news article about something Xbox related gets the usual suspects. I mean it’s ridiculous that people are fighting/arguing value of game pass and the subscription numbers,, it’s a killer deal. Great value. Nothing more really needs to say. If you think it’s a bad value, then tell us.

700,000 x $10 is better than 2,000,000 x $1. Do the math. Even Mat from NPD says PSNow is ahead by miles.
I was driving home looks like you guys insist that MS doesn't count free trials and dead accounts, hilarious. ALL companies use shady PR to their advantage. How many people played Sea of Thieves compared to how many bought it during launch month? Battleborn anyone? MS using MAU's across all their service and not just Xbox. Even Sony does it too with their PSN accounts.

Still think I'm wrong? Well lets see here. IF PSNow sub was 700k at $10, vs 9.5 MILLION gamepass subs (guess who made the thread? Jigsaah) and I'm being generous at $1.
Now how is it possible that 9.5 million subs lose to 700k in revenue? By adding free trials and dead accounts, duh.

Hilarious, pretended that there was no free subs and yet you signed up for it.

So which is it? 2 million? 9.5 million? Hey maybe even 10million+! You don’t know and Jigsaah Jigsaah never claimed to know the actual amount. In fact he stated that he thought it was less than 9 million, the amount he supppsedly heard from someone. We don’t know the numbers, so you really can’t predict how many subs that 16% of revenue from that graph is from, only that Phil has stated its in the millions. Which you can call him a liar if you don’t think it’s in the millions.

"Millions and Millions" sounds like damage control to me. In fact every interview from MS camp this E3 sounds like a concession. Anybody else noting that?

I’m noting that he said “millions and millions” and it not having any cryptic, secret message that Microsoft’s Xbox division is going bankrupt tomorrow.

Assumption 1: PS Now at 700k sales at full price

Assumption 2: Game Pass at wildly fluctuating sales all at $1

Rating effort for skewing results to the extremes..... A+

DForce

I thought it’s pretty hilarious that another news article about something Xbox related gets the usual suspects. I mean it’s ridiculous that people are fighting/arguing value of game pass and the subscription numbers,, it’s a killer deal. Great value. Nothing more really needs to say. If you think it’s a bad value, then tell us.

This is why threads like this turn into crap.

XboxGAF- "Millions of subscribers? This is huge! Game pass is doing really well."

Others - "It's not surprising, they gave out 1 dollar subscriptions for most of this year."

XboxGAF - "Why are you downplaying this success?"

No one is complaining about the deal. We know it's great for gamers.

What Xbox fans on this site need to realize is that the number of subscribers is really nothing to get excited about based on the fact that they're giving out $1 dollar subscriptions. What's ridiclous is the amount of Xbox fans who get upset about this when it's OBVIOUS this is exactly what's happening.

Pallas

This is why threads like this turn into crap.

XboxGAF- "Millions of subscribers? This is huge! Game pass is doing really well."

Others - "It's not surprising, they gave out 1 dollar subscriptions for most of this year."

XboxGAF - "Why are you downplaying this success?"

No one is complaining about the deal. We know it's great for gamers.

What Xbox fans on this site need to realize is that the number of subscribers is really nothing to get excited about based on the fact that they're giving out $1 dollar subscriptions. What's ridiclous is the amount of Xbox fans who get upset about this when it's OBVIOUS this is exactly what's happening.

But they are excited, so why shoot that down? Lol. It’s not our place to tell them what they should be excited for and what not to be excited about. I mean game pass has good content, extremely good value, and it’s only gaining momentum with the release of it on PC. It’s going good and so is the competition. When that happens, we all win.

Let them dance.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But they are excited, so why shoot that down? Lol. It’s not our place to tell them what they should be excited for and what not to be excited about. I mean game pass has good content, extremely good value, and it’s only gaining momentum with the release of it on PC. It’s going good and so is the competition. When that happens, we all win.

Let them dance.

Excitement lends to hyperbolic claims and drive by trolls which then causes the “shooting down”. People being happy and competition doing its job is good😊.
Still, for others this is the drug dealer finding another way to get you hooked to a digital only rental paradigm where you own nothing anymore... it is not a crazy argument that should just get shot down either.

DForce

Let them dance.

You're not getting the point.

People are just saying they're not surprised because they're giving away for 1 dollar.

Whenever someone mentions this, they get upset.

Kagey K

Banned
I think many people are missing the point. I don’t give a fuck if Gamepass only has 1 subscriber and its me.

The sheer value it adds is worth every penny (to me,) it doesn’t matter if I pay 10.00 or 1.00 either way it’s offerings outweigh the costs.

I see a bunch of salty replies talking about how this costs MS so much money and they will never recoup those costs. So what?

If they are willing to eat those losses to make me, as a consumer happier, good for them.

Why are you so concerned about the company raking in money hand over fist instead of being concerned about your own wallet?

FranXico

If they are willing to eat those losses to make me, as a consumer happier, good for them.
The motivation behind eating losses is never just consumer satisfaction. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

If you really are convinced that there is no long term motivation behind all this generousity, we'll talk again about this in 5 years from now.

Why are you so concerned about the company raking in money hand over fist instead of being concerned about your own wallet?

By all means, enjoy it while it lasts. Nobody is against that.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The motivation behind eating losses is never just consumer satisfaction. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

If you really are convinced that there is no long term motivation behind all this generousity, we'll talk again about this in 5 years from now.
K page me again in 5 years. I’m not sure what changes in that time. Xbox still has hardware and physical games I can buy, the Internet doesn’t really change and gaming stays the same.

Ohhh it’s big and scary.

FranXico

K page me again in 5 years. I’m not sure what changes in that time. Xbox still has hardware and physical games I can buy, the Internet doesn’t really change and gaming stays the same.

Ohhh it’s big and scary.
Oh I hope you 're right, honestly, because that would mean that the subscriptions craze will be dead or dying down.

Corporations are not your friends, especially when they are giving you stuff "for free".

Kagey K

Banned
Oh I hope you 're right, honestly, because that would mean that the subscriptions craze will be dead or dying down.

Corporations are not your friends, especially when they are giving you stuff "for free".

No they are more your friend when they are limiting your consumer rights and telling you to fuck off at the same time.

Super good these guys.

FranXico

No they are more your friend when they are limiting your consumer rights and telling you to fuck off at the same time.

Super good these guys.
Of course not. None of them are your friends, I hope one day you really understand that.
No hard feelings, my friend.

DForce

I think many people are missing the point. I don’t give a fuck if Gamepass only has 1 subscriber and its me.

The sheer value it adds is worth every penny (to me,) it doesn’t matter if I pay 10.00 or 1.00 either way it’s offerings outweigh the costs.

I see a bunch of salty replies talking about how this costs MS so much money and they will never recoup those costs. So what?

People being salty is all in your head. I don't know why XboxGAF accuse people of being salty when they're doing nothing more than pointing the obvious.

People are talking about how much money they're making because someone compared it to 700k PSN subscribers.

The only salty people here are those who a getting upset because they're saying they have millions of subscribers because of those 1 dollar subscriptions.

If it's so obvious then why deny it?

They're clearly giving so many 1 dollar subs away just to get a ton of people on the service. That's the main reason why it's a dollar.

It's like a company giving away free samples. If you have a new food product, people are likely to take free samples instead buying the entire item at full price. Giving away those free samples means you will take a financial hit in the short term in hopes to make more money in the future.

I can't brag about giving away so many samples and how many people wanted to try my product. What really matters is how many people who tried those free samples wanted to buy my product.

Kagey K

Banned
Of course not. None of them are your friends, I hope one day you really understand that.
No hard feelings, my friend.

None taken, I’m perfectly aware that they will be successful with or without me. So I choose to do my own thing and let them do theirs. If they offer me something good I will take advantage of it.

I’m not just going to cheerlead a company because they are winning and I like them.

I will applaud them at every success and jeer them when I don’t like what they are doing.

Again only if affects me.

Kagey K

Banned
People being salty is all in your head. I don't know why XboxGAF accuse people of being salty when they're doing nothing more than pointing the obvious.

People are talking about how much money they're making because someone compared it to 700k PSN subscribers.

The only salty people here are those who a getting upset because they're saying they have millions of subscribers because of those 1 dollar subscriptions.

If it's so obvious then why deny it?

They're clearly giving so many 1 dollar subs away just to get a ton of people on the service. That's the main reason why it's a dollar.

It's like a company giving away free samples. If you have a new food product, people are likely to take free samples instead buying the entire item at full price. Giving away those free samples means you will take a financial hit in the short term in hopes to make more money in the future.

I can't brag about giving away so many samples and how many people wanted to try my product. What really matters is how many people who tried those free samples wanted to buy my product.
That’s bullshit and I won’t go any further then that.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Game Pass is the best gaming sub service. Not even an argument. Never thought I would want a service like this, but they are just killing it.

Kagey K

Banned
It wasn't.

Maybe you should look up why it's 1 dollar instead of getting upset.
Why would I be upset? They gave me probably the greatest deal of all time, and I’m going to be upset about it?

That looks like projection, because anyone that got the deal is the furthest thing from upset right now.

I’m assuming this is the part where you say Xbox has no games and we should all be ashamed.

Last edited:

DForce

Why would I be upset? They gave me probably the greatest deal of all time, and I’m going to be upset about it?

That looks like projection, because anyone that got the deal is the furthest thing from upset right now.

Because the majority of my post explains why it's a dollar and why there are so many subscriptions. Anyone who says my post was full of stupidity are basically ignoring the fact WHY it's a dollar and WHY they have so many subscriptions.

Pallas

You're not getting the point.

People are just saying they're not surprised because they're giving away for 1 dollar.

Whenever someone mentions this, they get upset.

That isn’t what started this shitfest, it was why Phil hasn’t mention the exact number of subscribers.

Kagey K

Banned
Because the majority of my post explains why it's a dollar and why there are so many subscriptions. Anyone who says my post was full of stupidity are basically ignoring the fact WHY it's a dollar and WHY they have so many subscriptions.
Yes, they are all wrong, you are the only one that gets it.

It couldn’t possibly be you not understanding it.

DForce

Yes, they are all wrong, you are the only one that gets it.

It couldn’t possibly be you not understanding it.

Actually, no. People who use common sense gets it. There's many people on here and outside of this forum who gets it.

DForce

Because it was a hilarious rebuttal to the first response in this thread. Your point?

It's what started it.

1 dollar is the obvious reason why

PSN likely makes more revenue since they're charging full price for 700k subs (or for the majority).

Pallas

It's what started it.

1 dollar is the obvious reason why

PSN likely makes more revenue since they're charging full price for 700k subs (or for the majority).

Ok? I’m not arguing on why PSnow has a higher revenue stream currently(if that graph is to be believed) I was arguing how some were interpreting Phil’s comment of “millions and millions” hence the first response.

Both services are doing good and have their own strategies. I’d probably dive into PSNow myself if I had better service out where I lived at.

DForce

Ok? I’m not arguing on why PSnow has a higher revenue stream currently(if that graph is to be believed) I was arguing how some were interpreting Phil’s comment of “millions and millions” hence the first response.

Both services are doing good and have their own strategies. I’d probably dive into PSNow myself if I had better service out where I lived at.
You're missing the point. Threads don't have to "turn to sh*t" if people stop denying the obvious. The Last of Us sold 17 million copies, but I know millions of those were due to the fact that it was bundled with the PlayStation 4 console.

Yes, being bundled helped boost sales, denying that would be ridiculous. Why you guys are doing is denying that fact that boosting numbers from game pass is because it's being given out for a dollar. The major difference is that game pass is a mere dollar and people will jump on that deal quick.

So again, why deny the obvious and why are people getting upset when someone points these facts out? This happened with the player counts with Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 etc.

Last edited:
You're missing the point. Threads don't have to "turn to sh*t" if people stop denying the obvious. The Last of Us sold 17 million copies, but I know millions of those were due to the fact that it was bundled with the PlayStation 4 console.

Yes, being bundled helped boost sales, denying that would be ridiculous. Why you guys are doing is denying that fact that boosting numbers from game pass is because it's being given out for a dollar. The major difference is that game pass is a mere dollar and people will jump on that deal quick.

So again, why deny the obvious and why are people getting upset when someone points these facts out? This happened with the player counts with Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 etc.
Not sure why you are so butthurt about Game Pass subs. No doubt MS gets lots of people signing up to test it out for $1 for a test month. But we don't know exactly how many are strictly $1 testers and how many are normal subbers on a monthly basis after the $1 month ends.

Both PS Now and GP have free trial periods too. So using your logic of lowest common denominator, all PS Now and GP users aren't even payers. It's a revolving door of users using the free trials.

DForce

Not sure why you are so butthurt about Game Pass subs.

This is nothing more than fanboy delusion. NO one is butthurt. It's just odd that XboxGAF gets upset whenever you point out the obvious.

No doubt MS gets lots of people signing up to test it out for $1 for a test month. But we don't know exactly how many are strictly $1 testers and how many are normal subbers on a monthly basis after the $1 month ends.

Of course we don't know, but clearly if you give out $1 subs for most part of the year, then you're obviously going to get a lot of subscribers.

Both PS Now and GP have free trial periods too. So using your logic of lowest common denominator, all PS Now and GP users aren't even payers. It's a revolving door of users using the free trials.

No.

Both have 14-day trials, but Sony is not giving out $1 dollar subscriptions throughout the most part of the year.

It's obvious why they're giving out $1 subscriptions. It's not to make the consumer happy, it's to generate more followers to get into the service.

That's it.

They're likely losing money, but they know that. That's is their PLAN. 10 Dollars is good enough for what game pass is offering. But for just a mere dollar? That's even better. People know that. We all know that. That alone is going to generate more followers if you keep offering 1 dollar deals.

Comparing this to a 14-day trial was absolutely ridiculous.

The reason why it's a dollar is obvious, but you guys want to find reasons why it's not true when it's CLEAR what heir plan is.

Stop denying what they're doing. It's going to generation a lot of subscribers, which makes the millions of subscribers not that surprising at all.

Both have 14-day trials, but Sony is not giving out $1 dollar subscriptions throughout the most part of the year.

It's obvious why they're giving out $1 subscriptions. It's not to make the consumer happy, it's to generate more followers to get into the service.

That's it.

They're likely losing money, but they know that. That's is their PLAN. 10 Dollars is good enough for what game pass is offering. But for just a mere dollar? That's even better. People know that. We all know that. That alone is going to generate more followers if you keep offering 1 dollar deals.

Comparing this to a 14-day trial was absolutely ridiculous.

The reason why it's a dollar is obvious, but you guys want to find reasons why it's not true when it's CLEAR what heir plan is.

Stop denying what they're doing. It's going to generation a lot of subscribers, which makes the millions of subscribers not that surprising at all.
You keep mentioning this "$1 leads to more subs" theory as if you're the only one in the world who knows a good price leads to more sales.

DForce

You keep mentioning this "$1 leads to more subs" theory as if you're the only one in the world who knows a good price leads to more sales.

Because this topic is about millions of subscribers and people in this thread explaining the obvious, and that's because of 1 dollar deals. You have people sub such as yourself telling others "we don't know the numbers." We don't know the numbers, but we know the these deals are increasing the numbers.

I don't know why people are arguing these points unless they're don't want to believe this.

Lort

Banned
Once the 1$ trials end the cheapskates who exploit the system are all going to go back to paying full price for games ... if they live neogaf world.

In reality anyone with that much time and that little money is going to subscribe since its so much better value that everything else.

I notice not one of you forum fanboys could come up with a valid argument against this .. so thought id repeat it for a second time ... since its obviously more topical and on point than millions and millions of posts here.

CuNi

lol, plenty of people sign up for free stuff or very low subs and then cancel, ALL THE TIME. And no it doesn't make more than Sony, you have the receipts to back that up?

By that logic, I would love to see your sources that say that most people don't pay the full thing. Not some 3rd party guy but real statements from MS please!
We're all debating on speculations on here. MS hasn't released any hard numbers so we will never be able to accurately say if GamePass or PSNow has more users or makes more money.
That's all there is to it. You can't prove or disprove either claim so stop the bs with "it doesn't make more than sony, do you have the receipts to back that up?". Do you have the receipts to back up that Sony makes more?

Last edited:
Top Bottom