• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

MJPIA

My work is several miles west of Coatesville and that storm was quite spectacular.
Sky goes grey and then you see this dark cloud wall approaching.
First couple of minutes power was flickering on and off like crazy.
At least it didn't last long and power came back fairly quickly afterwards.
Looked pretty nice afterwards as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2015/06/22/phila-cat-kawaii-kitty-cafe-coffee.html
Someone's attempting to get funding through indiegogo to build a cat café in Philly.

hoagiefest2015.jpg

It's that time of year again

Yeah that storm was ridic and basically everyone in the city took photos of the sky afterward. I was out on my porch storm watching and had to invite a few pedestrians up and out of the rain so they didn't get killed.

esms

I dunno but I've never seen anything like it...twas amazing. Photos don't do it justice. Seen a bunch of people in my apartment complex taking pics outside.

It was pretty incredible.

hoagiefest2015.jpg

It's that time of year again

Chicken parm here I come.

https://www.facebook.com/6abcAdamJoseph

Adam Joseph has all the answers to life.

That's actually really cool.

Who do you think we are? Cecily Tynan?

Nah, I think you guys are all John Bolaris status.

MJPIA

Anyone still have no power? I don't...PECO...

My boss lives in west chester and he still doesn't have power.

And his house has fancy electronic locks kinda like what most cars have now which uses a dongle instead of keys and require power to work.
Since there was no one in the house when power went out no one could turn on the generator so he can't get in.

Its been a while so I might be wrong but I believe you can log into peco's site and get estimates on how long until your area will get power back

Ryuukan

Day 5 of comcast outage

Amazing how shit their support is

Edit: I hunted and found the downed wired in the neighborhood and called the police, repair crew showed up 2 hours later

MJPIA

This weather sucks.
Tiny power flickers on occasion throughout the day and two losses that lasted several hours, the first of which happened when I was 40 minutes into a 3d scan.

I know it'd be crazy expensive but right now I wish they'd bury the power lines underground.

(E) Damn, there be a foot and a half deep pool of water on the 202 north right after route 30 merges into it.

I had shit to do! There was gonna be a concert and fireworks at Penn's Landing, so I was gonna do that and the Tall Ships Festival/Spruce Street Harbor Park.

Now I have to do all of that...tomorrow! :p

Why is rent on the East Coast so damn expensive?!? (relative to the Midwest, don't get me started on Cali)

I originally wanted to get something under 1500 and while there were a few choices available, I ended getting something for over 1800, to say nothing of the high utilities. I'm scared PhillyGAF. On paper I have enough but I know the cost of living is much different than the backwater Midwest to which I have grown accustomed.

Is everyone here doctors, lawyers and CEOs?

BTW, I'm super excited to move to Philly (suburbs)

Why is rent on the East Coast so damn expensive?!? (relative to the Midwest, don't get me started on Cali)

I originally wanted to get something under 1500 and while there were a few choices available, I ended getting something for over 1800, to say nothing of the high utilities. I'm scared PhillyGAF. On paper I have enough but I know the cost of living is much different than the backwater Midwest to which I have grown accustomed.

Well in theory your salary should be higher here than in the Midwest haha

Which suburbs, Pennsylvania side or New Jersey?

esms

I've found out of the major east coast cities (Boston, NYC, DC), Philly comes up cheapest all things considered. So, you can take that to the bank, figuratively speaking.

Where in the burbs?

Because people actually want to live here ;)

I can't lie, Wawa is the real deal.

Well in theory your salary should be higher here than in the Midwest haha

Which suburbs, Pennsylvania side or New Jersey?

I've found out of the major east coast cities (Boston, NYC, DC), Philly comes up cheapest all things considered. So, you can take that to the bank, figuratively speaking.

Where in the burbs?

King of Prussia. We get easy access to the highways and to the rails which we need both. I think that huge ass mall will be a pro and con but it's nice having so many dining and shopping options so close.

The Llama

King of Prussia. We get easy access to the highways and to the rails which we need both. I think that huge ass mall will be a pro and con but it's nice having so many dining and shopping options so close.
Assuming you're like not right next to the mall, that's definitely a good area of the suburbs to live in. Traffic sucks though. Plus for $1800 you should be getting a decent sized place.

you're getting ripped off at 1800 in the suburbs. Philly is more expensive than the midwest because people actually live here- but not THAT expensive. Where on earth were you looking?

edit: just noticed KOP. you can do a lot better than that. I'd look south along the media/elwyn line, or north around glenside if you HAVE to be in the burbs near regional rail.

Thanks, I'm probably thinking too much for no reason. I'm really happy with my place but I've never spent this much on rent.

Anybody on Philly GAF doing anything for the 4th? It is the birthplace of freedom after all.

Thanks, I'm probably thinking too much for no reason. I'm really happy with my place but I've never spent this much on rent.

Anybody on Philly GAF doing anything for the 4th? It is the birthplace of freedom after all.

I'll probably be downtown getting drunk. Always events in the city, as well as the fireworks.

If you're going downtown DO NOT DRIVE. you won't find parking, and it will be a nightmare getting out of there. Take the regional rail in.

Also, the fireworks are at penn's landing but don't go there. There will be a hundred thousand people there, you will get crushed. Head north on delaware ave/columbus boulevard to penn treaty park, watch it from there.

Where are you working? You can get a pretty nice apartment for $1800/month in the city, though it depends on what size you need. I couldn't stand living in KoP. It's nothing but highway, malls/shopping and commercial office parks

ericexpo

Sorry to pile on here, but kop seems really expensive unless it's a townhouse. Which you could rent for the same in center city. That's rittenhouse 2-bedroom money.

If you're looking for suburbs I would second the media suggestion, Springfield is right next door and that has a mall. Admore maybe better and has all the shops that are in the kop mall and is better for upscale shopping. And kop mall is more of a tourist destination then anything. Plus you'll have enough after you park in the wrong place for the 20th time.
Also there's no rail out in kop? Or they keep talking about shutting it down.

Sorry to pile on here, but kop seems really expensive unless it's a townhouse. Which you could rent for the same in center city. That's rittenhouse 2-bedroom money.

If you're looking for suburbs I would second the media suggestion, Springfield is right next door and that has a mall. Admore maybe better and has all the shops that are in the kop mall and is better for upscale shopping. And kop mall is more of a tourist destination then anything. Plus you'll have enough after you park in the wrong place for the 20th time.

You can catch the Norristown line. It's like 5 mins drive from KoP, so that's fine. My big thing is if you are working in the city and not the suburbs there's basically no reason to live in the suburbs*.

Where are you working? You can get a pretty nice apartment for $1800/month in the city, though it depends on what size you need. I couldn't stand living in KoP. It's nothing but highway, malls/shopping and commercial office parks

Luckily we don't live right next to the mall. It's difficult because my fiancee will be attending school in Philly and I will be working out near Reading so we both have hour-long commutes; hers mostly by rail and mine by road. The area is commercial as hell but our apartment is nice and we're kind of away from the hustle and bustle. The price is high but there was a ton of interest in our complex or maybe it's just that time of year.

It's definitely expensive, especially because utilities aren't included. It's only a 2-bedroom place.

We did check out a place near Exton but weren't feeling the area at all.

Luckily we don't live right next to the mall. It's difficult because my fiancee will be attending school in Philly and I will be working out near Reading so we both have hour-long commutes; hers mostly by rail and mine by road. The area is commercial as hell but our apartment is nice and we're kind of away from the hustle and bustle. The price is high but there was a ton of interest in our complex or maybe it's just that time of year.

Oh yeah, that makes sense then. Reading is still an hour+ drive from there sadly. I feel bad for your commute.

It's definitely expensive, especially because utilities aren't included. It's only a 2-bedroom place.

We did check out a place near Exton but weren't feeling the area at all.
Well at least you have the Wegmans right there.

$1800 does seem a little high though, did you check out Wayne/Devon/Berwyn? It's tough to find a place between Reading and Philly

Alucrid

Banned

I wouldn't call Springfield mall a mall so much as a building of despair. Probably only slightly better than granite run.

Deku Tree

Anyone know when is fios coming to Philly? I got a flyer in my mail box the other day saying "coming soon to your area". I can't wait to drop crapcast.

ericexpo

I wouldn't call Springfield mall a mall so much as a building of despair. Probably only slightly better than granite run.

What granite run has like two stores now and a bird that flys inside to move air.
There's a store that sells plywood to close up the other stores.
At least Springfield has a target.

TheTurboFD

Anyone know when is fios coming to Philly? I got a flyer in my mail box the other day saying "coming soon to your area". I can't wait to drop crapcast.

I'm in the 5 points area and I have fios. My other family members are in the mayfair area and have it too.

I've got it in Fairmount, but it seems to be on a block by block basis. When I was living in Center City I didn't have it while my friend across the street did.

Deku Tree

I've got it in Fairmount, but it seems to be on a block by block basis. When I was living in Center City I didn't have it while my friend across the street did.

I'm in the 5 points area and I have fios. My other family members are in the mayfair area and have it too.

Oh thanks. FIOS put "coming soon" flyers on every house on my block one or two weeks ago. Hopefully that means it is really "coming soon"... I signed up to be notified when it is available.

Top Bottom