• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| 12 Man Squads, 2000 Players, So Free You'll Want to Pay!

Karakand

Yeah I keep reading it comes down to how much you trust your aim with regards to the ammo capacity.

My computer is old so maybe the Sirius. I will have to see if it lets me trial it. Is laser sight the best setup for it because i used to run the Hydra that way and I feel I am just too hardwired to use ADS and I reverted all my loadouts to handgrips after a while. I guess if I ADS the Eridani then i can just get the big mag for it.

Do you feel the SMG is really better than the respective cqb option for each non-infil class? That being something like the VX67/Serpent, Hydra, Shotgun?

EDIT: I came across this thread on the SOE forums

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/smg-analysis.141987/

So apparently the Sirius is just flat out better. Plus it has the silly looks. I will have to trial it tomorrw

I'm not that familiar with the Serpent or Hydra.

An SMG lets you operate from the front or the back of a breaching maneuver, whereas a shotgun pretty much locks you in to the front, so in that sense I think an SMG is better than a shotgun, but it is a preference issue according to my outfit's training instructors.

BTW I ruined my Corvus (well technically just wasted some certs) with some mods I don't like. :(

Azulsky

I'm not that familiar with the Serpent or Hydra.

An SMG lets you operate from the front or the back of a breaching maneuver, whereas a shotgun pretty much locks you in to the front, so in that sense I think an SMG is better than a shotgun, but it is a preference issue according to my outfit's training instructors.

BTW I ruined my Corvus (well technically just wasted some certs) with some mods I don't like. :(

What did u get on the Corvus? I am using Comp + Handgrip + IRNV/2x

I unlocked the Sirius(IR + Supp + AdvLaser + SP) and its decent but many of the instances that I want to use it have a jillion people running and my gen 1 i5 says no gusta. I can hear the RPM lowering as my frames crash

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
decent size patch, think I will just have enough room on my SSD (should have gotten a bigger one, it's barely holding the OS and Planetside 2 :lol

Karakand

What did u get on the Corvus? I am using Comp + Handgrip + IRNV/2x

I unlocked the Sirius(IR + Supp + AdvLaser + SP) and its decent but many of the instances that I want to use it have a jillion people running and my gen 1 i5 says no gusta. I can hear the RPM lowering as my frames crash

I had used it with just a 2x reflex sight and got the bright idea to replicate the success I've previously had with making a "longer range" Pulsar C kit (I really like that gun FYI) so I unlocked a 3.4x laser scope as well as high velocity rounds. I just couldn't manage the kickback with the slower aim-down-sights of the 3.4x so I unlocked a compensator and here I am with as many certs in upgrades as the gun unlock itself cost and I hate what it feels like.

imo your observation that it was great for popping people who underestimated the range of a VS medic's rifle is the gun's sweetspot. I reached a little too far and tried to make it something it isn't.

Azulsky

Yeah I messed with it using the HV rounds in the VR arena and I came to the conclusion that I would have to use it in semi that way.

The only certs you really wasted were the HV rounds.

I have not found a gun where i would tradeoff the long range distance for accuracy. Maybe battle rifles

Lonestar

Since I use Medic almost half the time (VS), I'm 90% of the time, using the NS-11A. I've gotten pretty profecient at it, usually with a 4x scope, grip, and silencer. Now, maybe one of the VS rifles for that job is better, but I love my Platinum Real Bullet gun.

Mikey Jr.

Checked out the Octagon on Esamir.

Pretty fucking crazy. Shit ton of people swarming the hell out if it right now, so I'm taking a break tonight. Let that shit sort itself out tomorrow.

Seemed pretty cool though. Absolutely no land vehicles allowed in there. Could use a little more cover, but ehh, its all good.

Karakand

Since I use Medic almost half the time (VS), I'm 90% of the time, using the NS-11A. I've gotten pretty profecient at it, usually with a 4x scope, grip, and silencer. Now, maybe one of the VS rifles for that job is better, but I love my Platinum Real Bullet gun.

Bling bling.
Bullet drop. :yuck:

Lonestar

gotten used to it. Helped a bit on the rare Infiltrator runs I go on.

Light Assault 80% SMG - 20% Pump Shotgun (Biolabbin)
Engy 100% Underbarrel Grenade gun (can't remember the letters, but it's the one that has burst mode as well).
HA - can't remember which one (Flare?), but I stopped using the LSW, but I use the current one with the added clip (for a 150 round clip).

Really, the most variety I have in the game, is switching up which HA rocket to use (Lancer, or the various lock ons). During that double xp weekend though, I used the hell out of the new Lasher.

About to log on for the 1st time in 2-3 weeks, see the new esamir, and the new sounds.

Karakand

gotten used to it. Helped a bit on the rare Infiltrator runs I go on.

Light Assault 80% SMG - 20% Pump Shotgun (Biolabbin)
Engy 100% Underbarrel Grenade gun (can't remember the letters, but it's the one that has burst mode as well).
HA - can't remember which one (Flare?), but I stopped using the LSW, but I use the current one with the added clip (for a 150 round clip).

Really, the most variety I have in the game, is switching up which HA rocket to use (Lancer, or the various lock ons). During that double xp weekend though, I used the hell out of the new Lasher.

About to log on for the 1st time in 2-3 weeks, see the new esamir, and the new sounds.

Lasher :bow

LA: Pulsar C
ENG: Pulsar C (I said I really liked it. :p)
MED: Corvus, Pulsar VS1 (I sank some certs into it to make it passable in biolabs or other similar situations.)
INF: Artemis
HA: Don't play, default weapons unmoded.
MAX: Dual Comets and Bursters

Prefer being a bothersome gnat as ENG or LA :)bow C4), but my outfit running semi-public platoons means I'm usually living the glamorous life of a MED or ENG.

Lonestar

Got to Esamir after a few minutes, but only flew over the Octagon. What was the other new Base? Were they the only ones that were "walled off" bases with the bubble shield? DIdn't stay on long.

Tried in VR the new NS SMG and handguns.

Well, the Cereberus (VS Handgun) has a nice reload animation. Not sure the point beyond that, I'll stick with Da Commish.

That SMG though, might get that. Nice Reload, and kind of beefy. I'll decide if I want to stick with Sirius or go to it.

Most of the new sounds are improvements, but I miss the Lasher's sound already.

Azulsky

Oh you are one of those people who I have to visually confirm everytime i hear the gun go off the first time.

Whats the deal with a bundle in the depot if one of the items is slashed out with a red line? The Liberator weapons bundle seems pretty legit but the nose cannon is slashed through.

Lonestar

Oh you are one of those people who I have to visually confirm everytime i hear the gun go off the first time.

Whats the deal with a bundle in the depot if one of the items is slashed out with a red line? The Liberator weapons bundle seems pretty legit but the nose cannon is slashed through.

Why do you think I have the silencer :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm rolling with a heavy assault with some semi-auto rifle-thing, and I switch between a 4x scope and a 6x scope.

The 4x is perfectly fine for close-quarter engagements, and gives me a little reach when I need it. The 6x is for when I need to snipe a bit, but they're sneaking around and getting close and surprising us.

I honestly have ZERO idea what I'm doing - not following any guides or anything. I'm Vanu cause I liked the purple and "related" to their story the best, lol. I upped my HP. I'm currently Battle Rank 9 with 22hrs clocked. Anything I should know?

Azulsky

Why do you think I have the silencer :p
Surely we can interest you in something that shoots plasma. :D
I bet you even wear that blue camo that makes you look like NC unless I get a really obvious outline of your helmet.

When is the last time you prayed to Vanu?

The NS11 seems like the best of the bunch though, aside from the new NS PDW which has astounding ADS for an smg.

If only it didnt sound dirty lol

... Anything I should know?

For Vanu Heavy the general consensus on LMG opinion

VX29 or Orion(starter gun) are your best close quarters specialized LMG's

The NS LMG seems pretty legit, although as I posted above it sounds primitive and doesnt add to the Vanu disco party light show

I personally roll the SVA-88. Decent all arounder with some weird features that make it stand out

Flare is best bang for your Cert. Also has above average damage for Vanu but a bit more kick, so practice recoil compensation. I think my friend has married his.

Having the AA Rocket(Nemesis) is nice because without your own air or base defenses you will get shit on by roaming packs of mosquitos and reavers

Most people get Resist Shield. I like Flat because I usually forget to activate it until i get slapped in the face by a sniper round. Resist shield is only as strong as the amount of health it is reinforcing

If you roll anti infantry focus get nanoweave, if you have an anti vehicle focus flak armor. Latter saves your ass from mines

If you like anti infantry get the restoration kits, If anti tank you can get the pouch to hold extra rockets ammo.

Vanu specific rocket laucher is Lancer which is basically the spartan beam from Halo. Its good against tanks because of range + projectile speed op + no lock required. Takes more hits. Also can charge up to deliver bigger damage hits at cost of more ammo.

I think the semi think you are using is the Eidolon rifle. If you like it then cool. Typically I would avoid running ahead of the pack with it because you are likely to lose to a SMG user or pump shotgun wielding tool.

Lonestar

Eidolon is interesting, but you can only act as a long distance HA (most likely on Anti-Tank duty), switching to the Eidolon to shoot at the driver as he gets out to repair.

Also, what can I say, I like the sounds of real gunfire. Though, the new Pew Pew sounds are alot better (except for Lasher, that's a downgrade from the awesomeness of the previous Lasher sound)

Azulsky

They sound good its just discordant when you are used to hearing the VS guns. It made me freak out a few times at the point when I was tuned into the regular guns but still green around the ears.

A few of the VS guns now sound absolutely menacing then when you equip suppressor its like a Lion turning into a kitten. Havent shot the Lasher actually will have to put that on my VR to do list.

The battle/scout rifles are interesting. 200 min damage is nothing to laugh at either. Seems like it would be useful to me with plenty of fools standing around during a battle that you can take shots at. Whether its the best use of HA is a discussion for armchair generals.

Azulsky

So today I go and look at the Liberator bundle and its all available.

Down goes about 1k certs into the lib. Begin the dakka

Esamir munitions corp is the greatest thing ever.
Some of the bases are a nightmare to take though. The Octagon is nigh impossible to secure if a coordinated platoon is defending it.

I love what they have done to the bases on Esamir but they should have left some open as well. They basicly made tanks useless. I'm not really sure if it's the bases or the terrain changes that are at fault though.

Azulsky

Some of the bases are a nightmare to take though. The Octagon is nigh impossible to secure if a coordinated platoon is defending it.

I love what they have done to the bases on Esamir but they should have left some open as well. They basicly made tanks useless. I'm not really sure if it's the bases or the terrain changes that are at fault though.

From my experience with the alert at Mattherson prime time yesterday there is still massive vehicular combat. It is still the best way to push across the landscape. They do seem to make infantry combat much more focused and intense at those locations.At the octagon at least they are still heavily exposed to air support.

I agree though without a mechanic to isolate those positions a good platoon can hold them with an iron grip. Light Assault has become a much more useful class overnight due to all these walled locations imo.

From my experience with the alert at Mattherson prime time yesterday there is still massive vehicular combat. It is still the best way to push across the landscape. They do seem to make infantry combat much more focused and intense at those locations.At the octagon at least they are still heavily exposed to air support.

I agree though without a mechanic to isolate those positions a good platoon can hold them with an iron grip. Light Assault has become a much more useful class overnight due to all these walled locations imo.
Yeah you might be right. It was just the first day of the new continent and people probably wanted to see all the new (and reworked) bases for themselves ignoring the surrounding area. Today I had some really nice engagements in my prowler. Mostly around Jaeger's Fist and Jaeger's Crossing where the terrain favourse using vehicles.

Player created items coming:

PlanetSide 2 players are some of the most dedicated, emotionally invested players in any virtual world. For the first time, PlanetSide 2 players have the opportunity to create parts of our world by designing new in-game items.

Player Studio™ is a new program that invites (initially US-based) players to download sample geometry, learn how virtual items are constructed, and try designing items. You can try your hand at writing a creative name, item description, and rationale for how it fits into the ongoing storyline.

Selected items will be offered for sale in the SOE Marketplace alongside items created by staff artists, priced in SOE's Station Cash virtual currency. Revenue from the sale of these items will be shared back with the creative player.

Karakand

Light Assault has become a much more useful class overnight due to all these walled locations imo.

I had to switch off LA when I played the day Esamir went live (been stuck on Indar lately) and it was just painful to have to respect the new physical boundaries at bases.

Player created items coming:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, but having anything to put pressure on SOE's awful art design is a good thing I guess.

Maybe now there will actually be some gun models that look distinct.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Surely we can interest you in something that shoots plasma. :D
I bet you even wear that blue camo that makes you look like NC unless I get a really obvious outline of your helmet.

When is the last time you prayed to Vanu?

The NS11 seems like the best of the bunch though, aside from the new NS PDW which has astounding ADS for an smg.

If only it didnt sound dirty lol

For Vanu Heavy the general consensus on LMG opinion

VX29 or Orion(starter gun) are your best close quarters specialized LMG's

The NS LMG seems pretty legit, although as I posted above it sounds primitive and doesnt add to the Vanu disco party light show

I personally roll the SVA-88. Decent all arounder with some weird features that make it stand out

Flare is best bang for your Cert. Also has above average damage for Vanu but a bit more kick, so practice recoil compensation. I think my friend has married his.

Having the AA Rocket(Nemesis) is nice because without your own air or base defenses you will get shit on by roaming packs of mosquitos and reavers

Most people get Resist Shield. I like Flat because I usually forget to activate it until i get slapped in the face by a sniper round. Resist shield is only as strong as the amount of health it is reinforcing

If you roll anti infantry focus get nanoweave, if you have an anti vehicle focus flak armor. Latter saves your ass from mines

If you like anti infantry get the restoration kits, If anti tank you can get the pouch to hold extra rockets ammo.

Vanu specific rocket laucher is Lancer which is basically the spartan beam from Halo. Its good against tanks because of range + projectile speed op + no lock required. Takes more hits. Also can charge up to deliver bigger damage hits at cost of more ammo.

I think the semi think you are using is the Eidolon rifle. If you like it then cool. Typically I would avoid running ahead of the pack with it because you are likely to lose to a SMG user or pump shotgun wielding tool.

Thanks for all the tips! I appreciate it. I think I'm gonna keep spec'ing out my Eidolon - shame it doesn't seem to be a "winner" in terms of best weapon - but it seems to suit my play style. I'm not patient enough to be a sniper (and I get pissed at being one-shotted all the time), and yet I hate to be front of the pack cause I'm not that great and I seem to spawn/die/spawn/die/spawn/die, etc. As a HA with a semi-automatic and a decent scope, I feel like I'm a "jack of all trades", I suppose. Besides, I have like a .22 K/D right now, anyway, lol.

Karakand

I've been stockpiling C4 for a while and the biolab alert on Esamir just now (Connery) provided an excellent opportunity to spend those reserves. Thanks for the farm, NC.
7YiUnEv.gif

Xater

I have a question for you guys. You a probably all familiar with these crazy moments the Battlefield games can have. Does this game also deliver in this regard? I'm just asking because it could make the PS4 launch cheaper if I could play just a F2P game that delivers a similar experience.

From the sound of it the game might not be available on PS4 until after launch, it seems like a no-brainer that they'd have the game pre-installed on launch PS4s but I haven't seen any indication that that'd be the case.

As for the "Battlefield moments." They're there, but different. To me, what defines Planetside 2, the most exciting parts of the game, is the fights in the area between bases. When you have this kind of wide open area, and rows of dudes behind hills and rocks trading bullets back and forth. Tanks in the back lobbing shells, and fighters in the air swooping down for bombing runs.

Battlefield lost something going from 2 to 3. There's 64 players in the map, but you couldn't tell without looking at the scoreboard. In BF3, there's too much point-hopping, everything is kind of too spread out with little direction. Its very much like a pre-lattice PS2. Battlefield 2 actually had a lot of situations where you could be fighting in the same area as 20+ other guys on your team. BF3 didn't have that outside of the smaller more claustrophobic maps that were entirely unfun.

Azulsky

I have a question for you guys. You a probably all familiar with these crazy moments the Battlefield games can have. Does this game also deliver in this regard? I'm just asking because it could make the PS4 launch cheaper if I could play just a F2P game that delivers a similar experience.

If you enjoyed the way that BF2 had squads laid out and commanders then you will be right at home in Planetside 2.

For me PS2 replaces the Battlefield series completely due to that gameplay element. 12 man squads, and Platoons consisting of 2-4 squads with separate comm channels really makes the game a blast.

I find the game 100% delivers in those moments that you speak of.

The only caveat is that if you were used to playing HC in BF3 the time to kill(TTK) on PS2 is more like non-HC. The only weapons capable of 1 hit headshots are the higher end sniper rifles and that is not guaranteed if the enemy has complete spec into extra armor. There is still plenty of twitch gameplay for sure.

Xater

Hmm yeah sounds like I should give this a shot before getting BF4 then. Thanks guys.

I'd love to give the PC version of this a whirl but looking at the requirements my iMac will probably not make it. ;)

Top Bottom