• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Shai-Tan

Banned
i got one used with ps move for around 200 us.

Shit is crazy! i played before (PC and PS) it wasnt that good.

Astrobot is soooo good and BeatSaber is so much fun.

Issues i have, VR videos from youtube look like they are 240p.

i download some mp4 videos but playstation cant read them

YouTube videos don't look good on an Index either. I think we need much better res screens and optics. That said I have some videos that are significantly more clear than others at the same resolution (but still lacking clarity of flat videos). So there's an issue production side as well.

Wonko_C

I found that the best-looking Youtube videos are the VR 180 ones. The 360 videos look too low-res and they're not even stereoscopic most of the time. Unfortunately a Youtube update removed the ability to playback VR videos at higher than the PSVR's native resolution and you can only watch them at 1080p max. I used to manually select 1440p and they looked noticeably better even if they exceeded the PSVR's 1080p display.

ok.

It worked, the problem was the video file resolution, PSVR only alllow 1920 x 1080, after that the video wont play.

The quality was awful like youtube videos.

kinda meh

Kev Kev

DL'ed the ironman demo only to realize you need move controllers :messenger_loudly_crying:

gotta get some of those soon... i wish theyd make more of them and sell them at a decent price. seems like $60 would be fair, same price as a pad controller... id even pay as much as $100. but anything over that? 🤮

i did see some ps3 ones on ebay for around $100 for "but-it-now". gonna have to wait till i pay bills next week though, just to see how i did money wise this month and make sure im not actively going broke. i hear they are really worth it, but im seeing them as much as $250 on amazon which is bananas

Shmunter

DL'ed the ironman demo only to realize you need move controllers :messenger_loudly_crying:

gotta get some of those soon... i wish theyd make more of them and sell them at a decent price. seems like $60 would be fair, same price as a pad controller... id even pay as much as $100. but anything over that? 🤮

i did see some ps3 ones on ebay for around $100 for "but-it-now". gonna have to wait till i pay bills next week though, just to see how i did money wise this month and make sure im not actively going broke. i hear they are really worth it, but im seeing them as much as $250 on amazon which is bananas
I’m using my PS3 ones from over a decade ago just fine. But there is always risk of bad battery in such old peripherals.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, $100 even for the old PS3 ones? What was Sony thinking? Why didn't they make more Move controllers when they started selling VR units? That is insane.

I guess the only thing that makes sense when buying PSVR is getting one of the bundles that comes with them. The Move controllers feel like a bit of a must for VR, but those prices would keep me away if I hadn't gotten a bundle.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wow, $100 even for the old PS3 ones? What was Sony thinking? Why didn't they make more Move controllers when they started selling VR units? That is insane.

I guess the only thing that makes sense when buying PSVR is getting one of the bundles that comes with them. The Move controllers feel like a bit of a must for VR, but those prices would keep me away if I hadn't gotten a bundle.

This is a very weird thing about Sony.

So, do you guys think PSVR will be compatible with PS5? I currently don't see how, the ps5 controller doesn't have the light bar so you can't use it with PSVR.
Maybe if they release new VR controllers with the PS5 and PSVR2 later.

Grinchy

Banned
So, do you guys think PSVR will be compatible with PS5? I currently don't see how, the ps5 controller doesn't have the light bar so you can't use it with PSVR.
Maybe if they release new VR controllers with the PS5 and PSVR2 later.

In an interview with Wired, the lead system architect on the next PlayStation console, Mark Cerny, confirmed that PS5 (naming still unconfirmed) will retain support for the current PSVR headset.

Apparently it will. You wouldn't be able to use the PS5 controller, but it seems like you'd just need the Moves and DS4.

wondermega

Zero discussion of Iron Man in here? What gives? I just played through the demo. I had low expectations at the reveal, and in the time since they'd elevated a bit. Overall, I have to say as a free demo this is ABSOLUTELY worth your time, especially if you have any appreciation of the character/movies etc. Game wise, they've done a very decent job of capturing his abilities and making you feel like you are in a super simplified, arcade-y version of the Iron Man armor (in a good way). Maybe a bit too simple, but then this is a demo and it should be pretty box to give you a sense of mechanics etc.
Presentation wise it's ok. They are on the far end of polish compared against something like Astrobot, and considering that it's only for this platform I feel they could have probably made things present a little better, but for what it is I don't mind. Clearly it's not like a AAA budget title she feels a little rushed in some ways, but they put the bang where they should (helmet HUD and such feels really slick, the weapon anims are appropriate, etc).
I was expecting to be let down by the characterization, but they've done an admirable job of portraying the RDJ Tony Stark without making you pissed that it's not the actual actor.. the dialogue and writing was nothing super fancy but again I thought they did a much better job than I'd expected.
Overall a fun demo, I was skeptical but after seeing what they've pulled off I'd absolutely be interested in grabbing the full game. Pretty fun stuff.

Last edited:

MadViking

I have ordered psvr mega bundle. I hope it will be good, never really tried vr. Sadly the move controllers are nowhere available or super inflated price.

Romulus

Zero discussion of Iron Man in here? What gives? I just played through the demo. I had low expectations at the reveal, and in the time since they'd elevated a bit. Overall, I have to say as a free demo this is ABSOLUTELY worth your time, especially if you have any appreciation of the character/movies etc. Game wise, they've done a very decent job of capturing his abilities and making you feel like you are in a super simplified, arcade-y version of the Iron Man armor (in a good way). Maybe a bit too simple, but then this is a demo and it should be pretty box to give you a sense of mechanics etc.
Presentation wise it's ok. They are on the far end of polish compared against something like Astrobot, and considering that it's only for this platform I feel they could have probably made things present a little better, but for what it is I don't mind. Clearly it's not like a AAA budget title she feels a little rushed in some ways, but they put the bang where they should (helmet HUD and such feels really slick, the weapon anims are appropriate, etc).
I was expecting to be let down by the characterization, but they've done an admirable job of portraying the RDJ Tony Stark without making you pissed that it's not the actual actor.. the dialogue and writing was nothing super fancy but again I thought they did a much better job than I'd expected.
Overall a fun demo, I was skeptical but after seeing what they've pulled off I'd absolutely be interested in grabbing the full game. Pretty fun stuff.

There was a seperate thread about it.

RavageX

I just havent had time to try it. That, and i bought walking dead and pixel ripped....havent tried any of them yet. ,😔

Wonko_C

Yesterday I updated my PSVR wishlist (which just reached 100 games, I need to keep up!), then decided to tidy up my collection: I still haven't finished a lot of them, curse you, hot summer! :p

mBNI8n1.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have ordered psvr mega bundle. I hope it will be good, never really tried vr. Sadly the move controllers are nowhere available or super inflated price.

That's the one thing I don't get about Sony and their VR strategy. How did they forget to make more Move controllers?

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone ever play The Persistence?

I just started getting into it and it's pretty interesting. It's kind of a rogue-lite type of game where you sneak around a space station sucking stem cells out of zombies and other enemy types. It's all randomized every time you start up and there are lots of weapons and upgrades you can buy with the cells you collect.

It felt a little confusing at first but I finally made some progress after a few deaths. When you die, you essentially start over but keep your currency and any upgrades you bought (but have to re-collect all weapons, grenades, ect in the new run). It's kinda like Rogue Legacy in that way.

Rodolink

i got the job simulator game and sadly my living room setup is not big enough to play it god damn, I have a L shaped couch and cant reach stuff below knee level because of it, and cant get farther away either because of a wall.
can you give ideas of setups? only one I could think of was moving the camera behind the TV but would need a stand of some sort.
does the golf shots VR and Beat saber games need a lot of space like this one?

Shmunter

i got the job simulator game and sadly my living room setup is not big enough to play it god damn, I have a L shaped couch and cant reach stuff below knee level because of it, and cant get farther away either because of a wall.
can you give ideas of setups? only one I could think of was moving the camera behind the TV but would need a stand of some sort.
I'd say Job simulator being 'room scale' is unique, not many games require you to move within a space. Definitely not Beat Sabre.

Grinchy

Banned
Unfortunately there's not a lot of trickery that will make it a good experience. Having the space is just kinda the requirement.

I don't know your specific setup, but you can get creative. There's no need whatsoever for your camera to be on the TV, for example. You could stand sideways to your TV and have the camera placed on another wall with command strips or any other way.

Rick and Morty seems to need even more space with Holoball maybe being the game that wants the biggest PSVR playspace. So avoid those lol

Rodolink

I'd say Job simulator being 'room scale' is unique, not many games require you to move within a space. Definitely not Beat Sabre.
thats good to know, I thought Beat Saber specially I would need big space to move around. What about Hot Shots VR
Unfortunately there's not a lot of trickery that will make it a good experience. Having the space is just kinda the requirement.

I don't know your specific setup, but you can get creative. There's no need whatsoever for your camera to be on the TV, for example. You could stand sideways to your TV and have the camera placed on another wall with command strips or any other way.

Rick and Morty seems to need even more space with Holoball maybe being the game that wants the biggest PSVR playspace. So avoid those lol
yeah I tried standing up grabbing the camera above so it could see all the leds while my wife played and then switched places xD. (not fun) i wanted to put it on the ceiling and the cables are too short. best thing would be to have like a stand above the tv :/ but that doesn't exist such a hassle for one game i wasted 15€ 🤦🏻‍♂️

Grinchy

Banned
thats good to know, I thought Beat Saber specially I would need big space to move around. What about Hot Shots VR
yeah I tried standing up grabbing the camera above so it could see all the leds while my wife played and then switched places xD. (not fun) i wanted to put it on the ceiling and the cables are too short. best thing would be to have like a stand above the tv :/ but that doesn't exist such a hassle for one game i wasted 15€ 🤦🏻‍♂️

These things are a really easy way to mount it up onto a wall:

ZTKhWwsm.png

I just used 2 strips. One side of them goes on the black plastic piece that holds the camera and the other side of them goes on the wall.

And it just peels off the wall really easily. It's mostly for picture frames, but it works perfectly for the camera. Just something to think about!

Shmunter

Sorry, I don’t know about hotshots vr, but at a guess I don’t think you’d need to reach out to various parts of the environment to hit a ball down at your feet.

I live in a pretty small appartment and I had no particular problem with the setup of HotShot Golf, butyour experience could be different. I think there is still a free demo of the game on Psn . It' s awfully limited, but you could try it and verify personally if your setup works for it. If it does, you shouldn't have any problem with the intere game

Rodolink

I live in a pretty small appartment and I had no particular problem with the setup of HotShot Golf, butyour experience could be different. I think there is still a free demo of the game on Psn . It' s awfully limited, but you could try it and verify personally if your setup works for it. If it does, you shouldn't have any problem with the intere game
ah nice yeah, i should try the demo 👌

Romulus

Walking Dead and Gorn topped the sales charts last month. Wondering how they will fare against Iron Man VR. Probably not well, but the Walking Dead has been one of those word of mouth games that's catching fire still.

Wonko_C

So there are these supossed leaked listings from Amazon UK ahead of the PS5 event. There is one that caught my attention:

DXGDv6A.jpg

PleasebeBioshockremakeinVRPleasebeBioshockremakeinVRPleasebeBioshockremakeinVRPleasebeBioshockremakeinVRPleasebeBioshockremakeinVRPleasebeBioshockremakeinVRPleasebeBioshockremakeinVR...

Wonko_C

I failed to notice at first during the reveal but, I guess we're still going to need the breakout box on PS5, unless it has the slots for the headset in the back?

Not having to use the breakout box would reduce the wire clutter considerably.

RavageX

I failed to notice at first during the reveal but, I guess we're still going to need the breakout box on PS5, unless it has the slots for the headset in the back?

Not having to use the breakout box would reduce the wire clutter considerably.

I'd love it if all the connections were in the system already

Grinchy

Banned
I hope we can still use the breakout box because it gives the ability to move it further away from the system. If I had to plug the headset cables directly into the system I'd lose a ton of distance.

count me in

from VR hater to VR cultist, psvr changed my gaming habits when I got my Skyrim bundle back in holidays 2017

I expected a Wii/Kinect followup of casual minigaming to my kid, found the biggest generational jump ever since 2D to 3D in the 90s.

keep em coming, Sony. Please let PS5 extra power fully upgrade the psvr experience to play more AAA games - all racing and FPS games should have VR mode, bar none

What's your impressions of it?

Saints and Sinners is nextgen VR gaming, today. Physics based motion, melee, weapon handling etc. It and Boneworks are the way to go.

Plus, it's an actual good survival game with substantial campaign and interesting story set in the TWD universe and lore.

It's the biggest psvr release in the year and it's been a very long while since I've seen a psvr aggregate 700+ star ratings on psn, in little over than a month from release.

I didn't finish it yet though. One thing leads into another and all the precision shooting and conscious use of bullets made me urge for plain good ol unlimited shooting and I got back to Borderlands 2 Lol

but it's really an awesome game

I hope we can still use the breakout box because it gives the ability to move it further away from the system. If I had to plug the headset cables directly into the system I'd lose a ton of distance.

yeah, Sony. Please let them keep complaining about the cable salad

As a person that has a 4k / RGB / HDR TV, the moment the PU box allows 4k HDR pass through is the moment I buy VR.

Hopefully their next hardware revision of it allows that.

you could just have a spare HDMI plugged to the tv and plug that into PS4 when you want 4K HDR or plug in VR HDMI when you want VR

either way, speaking as someone who bought a psvr and a Pro to go along and 4 months later a 4K HDR TV to play GoW in grand style: the odds are high that after playing in VR your 4K HDR TV will only get real use as a Netflix machine...

Top Bottom